Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

ballcoach15 wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 12:18 am As for game day, it's much better if fans are providing the energy for stadium, rather than PA system. I have seen a printed game day script, that PA announcer has in a binder. 99% of everything that comes through PA system is predetermined. When ref blows whistle, the "noise " starts. I despise the PA system at most LU athletic events.
As for band, we have a really good band, but most music selections are dull, and doesn't fire up the crowd.
Gameday today under Ian feels more inline with the P5 games I've attended elsewhere. Most of the canned music must be chosen by NCAA. You hear same songs at all games. Our band is always good, many hours of practice make it happen, needs to be featured over canned stuff.
Last edited by TH Spangler on December 3rd, 2021, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimflamesfan, BlueBlood liked this
I have never understood the NCAA'S fascination with loud music at athletic events. Leave music in the Fine Arts arena.
I recall a softball game where PA system wasn't working. Most enjoyable game I've attended.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 6:25 am I have never understood the NCAA'S fascination with loud music at athletic events.
The primary audience for college sports is college students, and they love the music! Years ago, when I took my 75-year-old dad to his first Orioles game in 30 years, he was surprised by how loud the games had gotten with all the music.
Cider Jim wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 8:20 am
ballcoach15 wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 6:25 am I have never understood the NCAA'S fascination with loud music at athletic events.
The primary audience for college sports is college students, and they love the music! Years ago, when I took my 75-year-old dad to his first Orioles game in 30 years, he was surprised by how loud the games had gotten with all the music.
I thought our gameday this year found a good balance.
jimflamesfan, flameshaw liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 6:25 am I have never understood the NCAA'S fascination with loud music at athletic events. Leave music in the Fine Arts arena.
I recall a softball game where PA system wasn't working. Most enjoyable game I've attended.
I know this may come as a shock to you but.................................
You are not normal.
Purple Haize, LUOrange, JK37 liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 6:25 am I have never understood the NCAA'S fascination with loud music at athletic events. Leave music in the Fine Arts arena.
The chatter from the bench at a softball game is way more entertaining than the PA. :lol:
ballcoach15 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, how do you feel about Enter Sandman at Tech?
I realize that’s between a rock and a hard place for you with your love of Tech and hatred of loud music. But that song is nothing but awesome in that atmosphere.
LUOrange liked this
aredd33 wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 9:23 am
Ballcoach, how do you feel about Enter Sandman at Tech?
I realize that’s between a rock and a hard place for you with your love of Tech and hatred of loud music. But that song is nothing but awesome in that atmosphere.
Very true, but they don't play Enter Sandman after every play, or every time out.

I have entered Lane Stadium through VT's tunnel 3 times (at Spring Games)
aredd33 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 9:23 am I played, coached and umpired sports for over 50 years. I have never saw the need for music at any ball game, other than national anthem and school fight song.
“Coached”
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I guess it all depends on ones perspective. I enjoy the music at LU right now. I never listen to the band, I am in the club area eating. :) (Another plus to having club seats, not a real fan of the band).
The fight songs for Michigan, ND, UCLA, never get old. Then there is something very special hearing "Fight On " at least 100 times a game. Never gets old. 8) 8)
flameshaw wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 1:13 pm I guess it all depends on ones perspective. I enjoy the music at LU right now. I never listen to the band, I am in the club area eating. :) (Another plus to having club seats, not a real fan of the band).
The fight songs for Michigan, ND, UCLA, never get old. Then there is something very special hearing "Fight On " at least 100 times a game. Never gets old. 8) 8)
When I use to do club my (Sr) father would watch the game from inside, but at halftime he always took a seat outside to hear the band.
By BlueBlood
TH Spangler wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 4:01 am Gameday today under Ian feels more inline with the P5 games I've attended elsewhere.
^^^ This

I agree. LU does an excellent job of making you feel like you are at a major event. After years of attending games in Big Ten and SEC venues, I wasn't expecting much when I came to my first LU game (2019). The venue and experience blew me away. It is very P5ish - except that the crowd size is 1/4 to 1/3 scale of what I was used to.

Love Spirit of the Mountain - and love how much the student section shows them love.

The only P5 thing that I would say that LU hasn't been able to replicate is a strong tailgate scene. I feel guilty complaining though, as I've not contributed to tailgating when I'm there. We are traveling from FL to the games and have not made adding tailgating gear/prep a priority to date. Maybe flooding the campus with food trucks would be a nice game day addition for us out of towners? - or for anybody that likes getting there early but doesn't want to plan/prep for tailgating.
TH Spangler liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 1:39 pm
TH Spangler wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 4:01 am Gameday today under Ian feels more inline with the P5 games I've attended elsewhere.
^^^ This

I agree. LU does an excellent job of making you feel like you are at a major event. After years of attending games in Big Ten and SEC venues, I wasn't expecting much when I came to my first LU game (2019). The venue and experience blew me away. It is very P5ish - except that the crowd size is 1/4 to 1/3 scale of what I was used to.

Love Spirit of the Mountain - and love how much the student section shows them love.

The only P5 thing that I would say that LU hasn't been able to replicate is a strong tailgate scene. I feel guilty complaining though, as I've not contributed to tailgating when I'm there. We are traveling from FL to the games and have not made adding tailgating gear/prep a priority to date. Maybe flooding the campus with food trucks would be a nice game day addition for us out of towners? - or for anybody that likes getting there early but doesn't want to plan/prep for tailgating.
Tailgating across from the stadium last week in the open field was the most packed it has ever been. Mostly due to the Army folks. At least 100 cars and multiple tents. I had friends from West Point and ate with them in that big white tent with my family in our LU red. Everyone was friendly and never felt I was behind enemy lines :) It would be nice if we got that kind of turnout from our folks.
By LU 57
TH Spangler wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 9:18 am
The chatter from the bench at a softball game is way more entertaining than the PA. :lol:
😣

This is where I have to disagree. I coached a fair amount of youth softball over the years. The cheers are funny at first, but lose there appeal pretty quick for me.
Baybird, flameshaw, JK37 and 2 others liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 4:29 pm
😣

This is where I have to disagree. I coached a fair amount of youth softball over the years. The cheers are funny at first, but lose there appeal pretty quick for me.
This is just one reason I have no desire to go to a softball game. The cheers from the bench are so sophomoric and cheesy. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
LUOrange liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 5:26 pm This is just one reason I have no desire to go to a softball game. The cheers from the bench are so sophomoric and cheesy.
I'm having a hard time picturing Ballcoach leading his girls' softball teams in these kinds of chears. :dontgetit
LUOrange, flameshaw liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts

Could this be because alcohol would be looked down upon LU tailgater's? I'm assuming that's part of the draw.
By LUOrange
Chippy wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 2:53 pm
^^^ This

Tailgating across from the stadium last week in the open field was the most packed it has ever been. Mostly due to the Army folks. At least 100 cars and multiple tents. I had friends from West Point and ate with them in that big white tent with my family in our LU red. Everyone was friendly and never felt I was behind enemy lines :) It would be nice if we got that kind of turnout from our folks.
I'd love for all 3 Service Academies to be regularly on our schedule, and those Cadets should always play in front of packed houses wherever they play.
By LUOrange
LU 57 wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 4:29 pm
😣

You mean the same chants over and over and over and over and over again bother you, Old Fart?
LU 57 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]