Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 30th, 2021, 12:30 pm
aredd33 wrote: November 30th, 2021, 12:26 pm I'm not entirely sure I understand your point. With the exception of ULM we lost to teams better than us.
We should have finished 10-2.
If only you’d been the coach …..
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I predicted 9-3. But there were four games vs. teams better than us. I figured we’d snag one of those and lose to the other 3. 7-5 with a bowl berth against the toughest schedule in school history = progress.
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By LU 57
JK37 wrote: November 30th, 2021, 12:56 pm I predicted 9-3. But there were four games vs. teams better than us. I figured we’d snag one of those and lose to the other 3. 7-5 with a bowl berth against the toughest schedule in school history = progress.
Agreed. It just did not feel that way with the 3 consecutive losses, particularly given how we lost them…
LUOrange liked this
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
I predicted 8-4 but I was hoping for 10-2. The ULM game was the difference in the season for me. Win that game and keep the ULL game a bit closer and I thought they meet their potential. I definately think the program is going in the right direction!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 30th, 2021, 12:30 pm We should have finished 10-2.
So should have beaten us? Who were your 2? Don't give us numbers; give us NAMES of schools who had better teams! :fineprint
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
I thought we would lose to:
Ole MIss
Syracuse
I thought we had a shot at:
ULL
Army
I thought we matched up well and would win against the rest of the schedule.
That was my 8-4 worst case scenario and 10-2 best case scenario.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: November 30th, 2021, 2:11 pm
So should have beaten us? Who were your 2? Don't give us numbers; give us NAMES of schools who had better teams! :fineprint
We should have beat Syracuse, Louisiana Monroe, and Army.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts

So we should have lost to Ole Miss and Louisiana?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: November 30th, 2021, 4:29 pm

So we should have lost to Ole Miss and Louisiana?
Not really, but we did. Those 2 teams are a combined 21-3, which is better than most teams in the country.
By LUOrange
We should've beat Syracuse and ULM. Ole Miss, ULALA & Army should've been much better games. But Army was the clear head-scratcher to me, cause IMO it was the first and only (so far) game where I couldn't believe the calls Freeze was making. The whole not punting thing was what really cost us that game, topped off by the 2 point try just to add to my frustration. So not taking anything away from our opponents, we should be sitting at 9-3. But who knew that our trusty Super Senior OL would regress like they did, which would clearly contribute to Malik's regression. But, I'm still proud of all of them- Coaches and Players. They've done well and more importantly, represented us well.
Last edited by LUOrange on December 1st, 2021, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmclaughlin liked this
By LUOrange
So questions for some of you "insiders:" Whatever happened to Stetson Moore? The summer was full of his hype, then nothing. Also, any word on the happenings with JJ Holloman? Any chance he tries to come for 2022?
jmclaughlin liked this
By jmclaughlin
LUOrange wrote: November 30th, 2021, 9:51 pm We should've beat Syracuse and ULM. Ole Miss, ULALA & Army should've been much better games. But Army was the clear head-scratcher to me, cause IMO it was the first and only (so far) game where I couldn't believe the calls Freeze was making. The whole not punting thing was what really cost us that game, topped off by the 2 point try just to add to my frustration. So not taking anything away from our opponents, we should be sitting at 9-3. But who knew that our trusty Super Senior OL would regress like they did, which would clearly contribute to Malik's regression? I clearly did not. Buut, I'm still proud of all of them- Coaches and Players. They've done well and more importantly, represented us well.
We knew through week 5/6 that the line was going to be an issue. At that point it is not the O lines fault, solely, it is a coaching problem. What I cant understand is how we didn't find sensible remedy's to this issue. Screen passes? Delayed handoffs? Rolling the pocket? Jet sweeps? Getting Malik out wide on a play or 2? Not saying that designer offenses are a lasting fix but I can assure you that status quo didn't serve us well. We kept trying to force an offense that didn't match the personnel.
On the sunny side, our defense was consistently solid all season. Even through injury's, the depth and rotations were solid. We made stops when needed. They were asked to do a lot to hold off poor field position routinely. The future does look bright as we continue to build DI culture and depth.
Dalegarz1, LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
jmclaughlin wrote: November 30th, 2021, 11:49 pm
LUOrange wrote: November 30th, 2021, 9:51 pm We should've beat Syracuse and ULM. Ole Miss, ULALA & Army should've been much better games. But Army was the clear head-scratcher to me, cause IMO it was the first and only (so far) game where I couldn't believe the calls Freeze was making. The whole not punting thing was what really cost us that game, topped off by the 2 point try just to add to my frustration. So not taking anything away from our opponents, we should be sitting at 9-3. But who knew that our trusty Super Senior OL would regress like they did, which would clearly contribute to Malik's regression? I clearly did not. Buut, I'm still proud of all of them- Coaches and Players. They've done well and more importantly, represented us well.
We knew through week 5/6 that the line was going to be an issue. At that point it is not the O lines fault, solely, it is a coaching problem. What I cant understand is how we didn't find sensible remedy's to this issue. Screen passes? Delayed handoffs? Rolling the pocket? Jet sweeps? Getting Malik out wide on a play or 2? Not saying that designer offenses are a lasting fix but I can assure you that status quo didn't serve us well. We kept trying to force an offense that didn't match the personnel.
On the sunny side, our defense was consistently solid all season. Even through injury's, the depth and rotations were solid. We made stops when needed. They were asked to do a lot to hold off poor field position routinely. The future does look bright as we continue to build DI culture and depth.
100% agree. These were at best half time adjustments on the fly, or at worst 1 game adjustments. Went the entire season for the rollout, granted we did try very few “well designed” screens that didn’t work ( takes a lot more practice than people realize - and that’s exactly why they didn’t work - not enough time dedicated to them ). Every great coordinator adapts - HF in my opinion is too in love with his old base YPO - every decent D Coordinator confused MW this year and we had no answer except tuck and run when all else fails. If your not constantly adapting your dying in this sport. That doesn’t mean throw out the baby with the bath water... HF is Spurrier type coach - quick analysis and boom - here is the game plan. I love he knows he needs a QB coach for mechanics - I think he would really benefit from a nerd analyst on the staff breaking down nuance of defenses and self scour - Saban makes a living off of analysts and I think that would be a very wise investment for HF and LU. HF can process the info and break it down simply for offense to absorb, but he needs more eyes scouting - IF HF were only OC - different story, but he is Head Coach and OC and laying out a game plan with 4 hour film time doesn’t cut it in today’s CFB.
By LUOrange
What was weird was that JB didn't appear to have as much of the protection issues probably cause he'd stay in the pocket a little longer and make quick throws. Then magically, in the 2nd half vs army, Malik had a lot of success doing the same- until the receivers started dropping passes... :D :D :D
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]