Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ill flame
TH Spangler wrote: November 27th, 2021, 8:36 pm
ballah09 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 4:21 pm After watching the second half, I can see why the NFL scouts are shrugging off his play because we suck. We do no favors for him.

But he cost himself some money with that punch. You can tell the frustration was building up with the drops, the penalties and no blocking. Took that play for him to explode.
MW caught a cheap shot head butt after the play ended. Officials must have missed it. That's what set him off. Really set me off too, Willis is the definition of good sportsmanship. Because of the respect I have for Army it really disappointed me in the Army player.
I'm not surprised army would play dirty. It's obvious what officers commission through west point. They tend to have the worst attitudes to put it lightly.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I guess I should let it go. Army needs guys that like to fight. :lol:

Big win yesterday, without a doubt was attendance. 20k in late November without students is a big deal.
rtb72 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 28th, 2021, 6:17 am Game was over when we dropped the TD pass in endzone.
Yea make that catch and Army would have been in jeopardy of blowing it.

MW made a nice post on Twitter about his incident. I really like him. Solid human being.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: November 28th, 2021, 6:12 am I guess I should let it go. Army needs guys that like to fight. :lol:

Big win yesterday, without a doubt was attendance. 20k in late November without students is a big deal.
Is it as big if LU had to give away a ton of tickets free + $20 food vouchers to get people there?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 28th, 2021, 7:50 am
TH Spangler wrote: November 28th, 2021, 6:12 am I guess I should let it go. Army needs guys that like to fight. :lol:

Is it as big if LU had to give away a ton of tickets free + $20 food vouchers to get people there?
Yes.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 28th, 2021, 7:50 am
I didn't want to be greedy, but I did grab a free hot pretzel and a bottled water on my way out.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Late season G5 attendance on TV looked really bad. I'm sure most tried to gets butts in seats any way they could. Example, game at UAB look empty. Their box score showed 19k. No way.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I guess if eyeballs on TV is your top measuring stick, OK. I wish it were Possible to take a poll of those who attended yesterday on the free tickets and pretzel to see if they would come back if they had to pay.
By LibertyMan
Purple Haize wrote: November 27th, 2021, 4:37 pm This was probably one of the better games MW played from a scouts perspective. He made good decisions and solid throws. While you obviously had the drops that were not his fault, some of the incomplete passes were the right passes and ones that would have been caught at the next level. Plus I can only recall one sack where he held on too long and should have dumped it.
But the sidelines is what should be concerning. The last touchdown drive should have fired up the team. Instead most just stood around no more excited than I am listening to Mrs Purple listing off her Honey Doe list. The locker room is broken plain and simple. MW would do well to enter the NFL as his stock won’t go higher
MW will do well in the NFL…Really???…Where??? He’d better come back another year and hope he improves.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LibertyMan wrote: November 28th, 2021, 12:47 pm
Purple Haize wrote: November 27th, 2021, 4:37 pm This was probably one of the better games MW played from a scouts perspective. He made good decisions and solid throws. While you obviously had the drops that were not his fault, some of the incomplete passes were the right passes and ones that would have been caught at the next level. Plus I can only recall one sack where he held on too long and should have dumped it.
But the sidelines is what should be concerning. The last touchdown drive should have fired up the team. Instead most just stood around no more excited than I am listening to Mrs Purple listing off her Honey Doe list. The locker room is broken plain and simple. MW would do well to enter the NFL as his stock won’t go higher
MW will do well in the NFL…Really???…Where??? He’d better come back another year and hope he improves.
So you have full faith and trust now in this staff’s ability to improve him?

And in your haste, you misunderstood. PH didn’t say he would necessarily do well in the NFL. He said he would do well to enter the NFL now. Two entirely different things.
By LibertyMan
rtb72 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 11:55 pm I still am not convinced there aren't some internal conflict issues on offense. Even more convinced after watching sidelines with offense versus defense. Our defense is tight...I mean, those guys are the quintessential "team" and show it on the sideline and in the game. I was intentionally focusing some on that during the game today. Defense seems to have a different feel...just seems to have more camaraderie. I just didn't see that enthusiasm or "adhesiveness with our offense...on or off the field. There is something about this team (offense in particular) that was not there at the beginning of the year, at least not so profound as it is now. I'm sure frustration has a lot to do with it, but to me, there is an obvious difference between the two sides of the ball on our team, and between the offense in the first half of the year versus now.

Regardless of what bowl we pull, I expect the last part of our season will influence some fans' decision on making the time and financial commitment to attend.
The offense gave up after ULM when the coaches made it all about MW. The same offense that took LU to its first and second bowl victory were undermined to promote an overrated QB. MW didn’t help with his selfish play. I said it earlier and I’ll say it again “No focus on JHuntley, JMack, SLouis, Stubbs, or guys who’ve been contributors past 2 -3 seasons. A completely unbalanced, one-sided season! I see why Peyton Pickett left. And I see why Auburn had MW 3rd and VT wanted him to play DB. Outside of fluke season, this is what he is as a QB. He’s 22 years old. Being the best talent on the field does not mean you make it about you. Being the best leader on the field means you make it about your offense. Outside of his skill deficits, he does not understand how to lease his offense and will his players to victory! No matter how you feel about it, THE TRUTH IS INCONTROVERTIBLE!
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 28th, 2021, 11:23 am I guess if eyeballs on TV is your top measuring stick, OK. I wish it were Possible to take a poll of those who attended yesterday on the free tickets and pretzel to see if they would come back if they had to pay.
I read a good article on what the p5's and media are really looking for. It basically said how many butts you can put in the seats, gameday atmospher and facilities trump having a big TV market and a schools academics etc. In the end conferences are chasing dollars and media outlets are calling the shots.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If students were not on break, LU would have set a new attendance record yesterday. Army brought more fans than any school i can recall to Williams Stadium.
Liberty always seems to shoot itself in the foot on breaks and big games. (in every sport). If Army had been earlier on schedule, it would have been a sellout.
TH Spangler, Cider Jim liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:46 pm If students were not on break, LU would have set a new attendance record yesterday.
If students were not on break, faculty and staff would not have been given 6 free tickets and a $20 voucher for free food.
JK37 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 28th, 2021, 2:16 pm Faculty and staff should be in attendance, regardless of the freebies.
Not all faculty/staff like sports, and many of the faculty are grading papers and/or prepping to teach Sunday school on Saturdays. Study
JK37 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 28th, 2021, 12:57 pm
LibertyMan wrote: November 28th, 2021, 12:47 pm
So you have full faith and trust now in this staff’s ability to improve him?

And in your haste, you misunderstood. PH didn’t say he would necessarily do well in the NFL. He said he would do well to enter the NFL now. Two entirely different things.
You are correct on every level. I don’t know if he will do well in the NFL or not. It’s a crap shoot. That’s the big question though. Will his draft stock rise playing in the It’s Thursday No One Cares Bowl or by immediately immersing himself in Combine and showcase prep for the draft? Is his draft stock as high as it’s going to get or will playing one more year at LU increase that?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:46 pm If students were not on break, LU would have set a new attendance record yesterday. Army brought more fans than any school i can recall to Williams Stadium.
Liberty always seems to shoot itself in the foot on breaks and big games. (in every sport). If Army had been earlier on schedule, it would have been a sellout.
Did you think that perhaps this was the only open date where they could have been scheduled? The came to town. 19k showed up (more than when a Top 25 team rolled into town the last few years). How is that shooting yourselves in the foot?
By Ill flame
I think it's best for MW and the school if he moves on. He'll likely be a high draft pick which can only help our recruiting but he won't improve as a player if he comes back. He didn't really improve much from last year and he will likely form bad habits from playing behind this offensive line. Losing him will be a big hit for our offense but I'm optimistic about the future of that position. Now if we can just surround our talented QBs with more talent...
JK37 liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Was at the game yesterday, freezing my butt off. We had some Army fans in the Club seats close to us. They very very obnoxious, (especially in the first half), standing up without regard for those sitting behind them, comments,etc. With the vast majority of my family being Army vets, I was ashamed of their behavior.
HOWEVER, in the second half, they were much more aware of those around them and were model fans. I must say, they had a lot more enthusiasm than any LU fans I have ever seen, on the Baptist side. I came to realize that this is the difference between a mature, big time, program and LU.
LU still has a long way to go to consistently reach this level. I say that as a challenge for all of us, including myself.
JK37 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Same with the Army fans on the east side. But sitting in the sun made the weather nearly perfect all day. Army fans cheered for every postion by players name. They knew I wasn't happy with the head butt given to MW with a few seconds left in the game. 😉
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: November 28th, 2021, 4:26 pm Was at the game yesterday, freezing my butt off.
I moved to the lower East Campus side of the stadium at halftime where the sun was shining and was so warm I wanted to take off a few layers!
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Im watching the Green Bay Rams game right now. I'll tell what there's some really good coaches, including HF that are making some terrible calls based on this analytics computer bull. I have more confidence in their experience than what some computer says is likely.
Last edited by TH Spangler on November 29th, 2021, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]