If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#636124
Random thought. Has an LU FBHC ever left and become better? Assistant? I’m thinking an Assistant or two had to have. But for all the talk of LU being a stepping stone my next question is “To where?”
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#636125
Purple Haize wrote: November 21st, 2021, 4:10 pm Random thought. Has an LU FBHC ever left and become better? Assistant? I’m thinking an Assistant or two had to have. But for all the talk of LU being a stepping stone my next question is “To where?”
I think Brandon Streeter probably fits that description.
Purple Haize liked this
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#636132
olldflame wrote: November 21st, 2021, 4:31 pm
Purple Haize wrote: November 21st, 2021, 4:10 pm Random thought. Has an LU FBHC ever left and become better? Assistant? I’m thinking an Assistant or two had to have. But for all the talk of LU being a stepping stone my next question is “To where?”
I think Brandon Streeter probably fits that description.
I knew his name would come up. Would OC to QB coach be considered a step up? He also went from LU to Richmond. Then to Clemson
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#636134
Purple Haize wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:39 pm
olldflame wrote: November 21st, 2021, 4:31 pm
Purple Haize wrote: November 21st, 2021, 4:10 pm Random thought. Has an LU FBHC ever left and become better? Assistant? I’m thinking an Assistant or two had to have. But for all the talk of LU being a stepping stone my next question is “To where?”
I think Brandon Streeter probably fits that description.
I knew his name would come up. Would OC to QB coach be considered a step up? He also went from LU to Richmond. Then to Clemson
He is also the passing game coordinator, and he makes 615k. Oh, yeah, that's at CLEMSON and he has 2 national championship rings. I'd consider that a step up.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#636137
olldflame wrote: November 21st, 2021, 7:20 pm
Purple Haize wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:39 pm
olldflame wrote: November 21st, 2021, 4:31 pm

I think Brandon Streeter probably fits that description.
I knew his name would come up. Would OC to QB coach be considered a step up? He also went from LU to Richmond. Then to Clemson
He is also the passing game coordinator, and he makes 615k. Oh, yeah, that's at CLEMSON and he has 2 national championship rings. I'd consider that a step up.
I’m not saying you are wrong. And absolutely good on him
But he came to Clemson from Richmond
He went from an OC to a position coach. Although a handsomely paid one at a school that was piquing at the right time. However, that’s not generally considered a step up.
But in his case…
By rtb72
Posts
#636140
Purple Haize wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:33 pm
olldflame wrote: November 21st, 2021, 7:20 pm
Purple Haize wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:39 pm

I knew his name would come up. Would OC to QB coach be considered a step up? He also went from LU to Richmond. Then to Clemson
He is also the passing game coordinator, and he makes 615k. Oh, yeah, that's at CLEMSON and he has 2 national championship rings. I'd consider that a step up.
I’m not saying you are wrong. And absolutely good on him
But he came to Clemson from Richmond
He went from an OC to a position coach. Although a handsomely paid one at a school that was piquing at the right time. However, that’s not generally considered a step up.
But in his case…
Can he coach an offensive line???
tyndal23 liked this
User avatar
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
#636148
I was thinking about the current openings and just wanted to try and rank them.

1-LSU slightly over Florida because of more consistency and more recent National Championship. Down side is the toughest division in the sport.
2-Florida clearly a number 2 in my opinion. There’s probably a good argument for number 1 with the top reason being recruiting territory.
3-USC great tradition but it’s been a while with no real success at all since Carrol and the huge plus is recruiting California. I’m not entirely sure of their financial commitment to winning as far as facilities go.
4-Washington this is where it starts to get a little trickier to rank them I think seems like a really good job.
5A-Virginia Tech great fan base decent winning history and seems like a pretty good job. Very significant facility upgrades recently.
5B-TCU I seem them as very similar to Tech. Maybe there’s an argument for VT to be forth but I really see VT, TCU, and Washington as similar.
6-Washington St just seems like a little brother to Washington.

What do you say? I’d love to see others opinions on here.
Last edited by aredd33 on November 22nd, 2021, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
#636152
I think that is a pretty good ranking. I would however challenge you that Florida is a better place for the Gators to recruti than the Tigers in Louisiana. LSU does a better job of closing its borders even with a slew of G5s in a state where the talent is everywhere. There may be more total talent in Florida. But arguably Louisiana has the best per capita of any state.
User avatar
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
#636167
Why?
Can you give any reasoning/logic behind that?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#636171
ballcoach15 wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 1:48 pm At one point in time, road to ACC championship went through Blacksburg, VA.
Enlighten us on when that "point in time" was. Sure, they have had some good years, but they have *never* been the dominant team in the ACC.
User avatar
By LUOrange
Posts
#636173
Tech and TCU are probably the best jobs on that list, in that as long as you win and recruit consistently one could stay there comfortably for a long time. The others are a mix of win or die and extreme wacky-wokey situations/states. Just my opinion, of course.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
#636177
olldflame wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 1:56 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 1:48 pm At one point in time, road to ACC championship went through Blacksburg, VA.
Enlighten us on when that "point in time" was. Sure, they have had some good years, but they have *never* been the dominant team in the ACC.
VT was ACC champions in 2004, 2007, 2008 and 2010. VT was runner-up in 2005, 2011 and 2016. Study
User avatar
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
#636179
Okay, VT's 4 ACC championships vs USC's 11 National Championships.
User avatar
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
#636180
704 all time win % vs 607
39 conference championships vs 11
11 national championships vs 0
34 bowl wins vs 13
7 heisman winners vs 0
80 consensus all-americans vs 8

Really hard to figure out the better job here.
In case it's not obvious this is USC vs VT.
And they started playing football 4 years apart in 1888 and 1892 so there's no big gap to account for the huge disparity in numbers.
socal_flame liked this
User avatar
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
#636183
ballcoach15 wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 12:56 pm Virginia Tech should be #3. 🏈
Above USC? (that's the one in California). Ballcoach, once again, your :koolaid has turned hard.
User avatar
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
#636186
Ballcoach, you brought the history of the programs into the conversation with “At one point in time” so the discussion of the past is on you…
ballcoach15 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
#636194
1-LSU
2-Florida
3-USC
4-Washington
5-TCU
6-Washington St.
7-Troy
8-Akron

F
I
F
T
Y

F
E
E
T

O
F

C
R
A
P

9- VT
10-FIU
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#636196
ballcoach15 wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 3:57 pm Some of ya'll are probably snuggling up to Notre Dame, because they "won one for the Gipper", in 1928. (vs. Army)
So, if that means we should be focusing on recent history, let's face it. They both have been no better than mediocre for a decade.

Being in LA is both the best and the worst thing USC has going for it. Tons of talent, but a s-hole of state and city government. Blacksburg is in the boonies. Beamer found a way to get good players to come, but he was unique.
User avatar
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
#636197
USC is one of a few programs that could have a legitimate chance at putting a championship caliber team on the field by only recruiting within 50 miles of campus…much like Miami back in the glory days.
flameshaw liked this
User avatar
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
#636201
olldflame wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:17 am Blacksburg is in the boonies. Beamer found a way to get good players to come, but he was unique.
Never been there, but isn't Penn State the same way? Joe Paterno could recruit there, but their basketball HC never could.

I once heard that PA is Pittsburgh on one side, Philly on the other, and Alabama in the middle. :lol:
Sly Fox liked this
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 10
Akron Prediction

Good crowd at both softball games. That ki[…]

Game #5 Preview: @ ODU

The locals on the ODU message board in Norfolk are[…]

The Purge

I like that A LOT! "Steel Curtain", &quo[…]