This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By lawdawg2002
Who the evangelicals of the US voted for is really irrelevant to whether board members and LU should be training an army of voters and activists for the Republican Party, Donald Trump, Democratic Party or Joe Biden.

I suspect the vast majority of the members of my church voted for Trump (sorry, no statistics), but that doesn't mean it is the job of my church to promote a party or person, which they don't. My church is committed to sharing the Gospel and discipling believers to grow in the Lord. It begs the question then as to what is LU committed to doing?
flamehunter, ATrain, stokesjokes and 1 others liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Regardless of who it is, all of the Bored need to be removed with possible one exception. I believe that Jonathon deserves one reprieve. The only surprise about this article is that it took this long to come to the surface. Very weak case, regardless of the side you choose to take on this.
By rhezick
TH Spangler wrote: November 15th, 2021, 5:10 pm
rhezick wrote: November 15th, 2021, 4:47 pm idiocy of Trumpism
Dang it. I knew I should have voted for Hillary Clinton idiocy and Joe Biden's abortion party. Or the the establishment that would rather offshore our jobs to cheep forced or slave labor in China.

I'm thankful for Trumps term, hopefully he has open the door for others like Pompeo, Scott and DeSantis. Some of you guys are more pollical than those you're complaining about. Close to 90 percent of evangelicals voted against Clinton and Biden and 50% of them have never heard of Liberty U.
You're missing the whole point. Or maybe I wasn't clear enough so to elaborate a bit...I'm not talking about policies. I'm talking about the idiocy of allegiance to a man or an institution. Yes the left does it too, but it's no more pronounced in modern times than with what we've seen, be it political, spiritual, institutional. I don't care about policy so much as I do the lack of ability or want to take a critical eye to those in leadership. The Bible calls for us to test and approve... but try saying that to someone like Trump (throw in whatever Democrat you want as well), or Jerry Jr...or more to the point of this thread, the board of LU . That's my point. Any leader or group of leaders worth their weight should be open to be tested, should welcome their critics and not require fealty and blinded loyalty, which all of the above demonstrated quite clearly over the past few years. That isn't leadership. It's how we got in this mess with LU in the first place.
flamehunter liked this
By lawdawg2002
With the corruption among the BOT being pretty well documented and one member acknowledging that they had no idea what was going on (Prevo), I have two questions:

1. Could a group of alumni sue the BOTs for a breach of fiduciary duty on the Title IX stuff and being willfully ignorant of what was going on?

2. With so many members of the BOTs having personal ministries, at what point do we question if the same corruption exists in their personal ministries? This is not a question of sexual assault in their ministries, but of corruption.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Liberty has always been aligned with Republican Presidents. I don't understand why some got upset about Liberty's alignment with Trump. Those who don't support GOP, basically support the liberal Democrats.

"you are either for me or against me"
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I work with boards of major multinational corporations who have members step away frequently if there are any perceived conflicts of interests. This board seems to double down on their own self interests and circle the wagons. Are we as Christians not supposed to be above reproach in matters of ethics? It is like the board and Prevo feel like they are some privileged class that doesn't have to follow rules.

The governance issues for Liberty grow more frustrating by the day. I know that Doc built the structure we have for a purpose that is no longer appropriate even though he did so with the best of intentions. But the governance and accountability of LU is broken. Period. It needs to be resolved pronto.
lawdawg2002 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
At the beginning of this whole fiasco I wise, powerful and incredibly handsome man said the entire BOT should step down and anyone with any relation to the Falwell’s should be removed from their positions. That still seems like the best advice
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
We both know that I'm incredibly handsome. But wise and powerful? You are too kind. And for what it's worth, Junior and Junior's Junior are the two who carry that name that needed to go.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 17th, 2021, 11:57 am Liberty has always been aligned with Republican Presidents. I don't understand why some got upset about Liberty's alignment with Trump. Those who don't support GOP, basically support the liberal Democrats.

"you are either for me or against me"
A binary choice between two political parties, neither of which embodies the whole character of Christ, is a false choice for Christians. If I strive to be all that Christ calls me to be, I won't fit comfortably in either party. Christ is the perfect blend of righteousness and justice, and mercy and grace, covered in love, and that definition applies to none of them. I consider myself politically homeless, and I am very much at peace with that. I practice good citizenship and I vote, but neither political party has my uncritical loyalty.

Besides, "conservative" and "Republican" are not synonymous with one another. Today's GOP isn't conservative and hasn't been for a long time.

For example, conservatives don't try to use state government to dictate to private businesses or local governments what they will or won't do. In fact, conservatives believe that decisions should be made at the lowest level of governance possible, starting with the family. Today's GOP is only against the government when they're not the ones in charge. When they have the reins, they can be as coercive in their application of government power as any progressive. The only difference is they want to use it to enforce some past ideal, while progressives want to use it to dismantle the present order and build something else in its place. If the government is of, by, and for the people, neither of them should get their way.

Conservatives don't believe in absolute loyalty to one person, either. How did the party of individual liberty become a cult of personality? I don't care if it's Donald Trump or Aaron Donald (this is a sports site, after all!), Americans have traditionally distrusted the idea that power invested in one person is the answer to our problems. "We the people" is as fundamental to the American creed as "All men are created equal."

The fact that one man has an entire national political party afraid to even speak against him is disturbing on so many levels, and un-American, in my opinion. This isn't Stalin's Soviet Union, Mao's China, or even Kim Jong Un's North Korea.

“I did not defeat King George III to become King George I.” ~ George Washington
stokesjokes, Baybird, flamehunter and 1 others liked this
By lawdawg2002
So well stated @rmiller1959 .

@paradox I don't disagree with you when I walk into the voting booth and see two names, I have to vote for the one closest to my Christian worldview. LU does not have to make that choice though. It can teach students how to think with a Christian worldview. If we graduate enough classes taught simply to deploy a Christian worldview, we might not have to choose the lesser of the two evils at some point.
rtb72 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
To be honest, none of that ever comes up for me. There are zero pro-life candidates where I live. For me, it's about preserving the constitution and practicality in general. There are agnostics who feel exactly the same way.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
A biblical worldview is probably more libertarian. I'm registered as independent. I voted for Trump because I don't care for either party and I considered him an independent. Both establishment parties have allow the communist Chinese to use the lure of cheap labor and poor environmental standards to steal most of our manufacturing. Now they're using their new wealth to control our corporations.

The fact that Trump supported Israel (secured the Abraham Accord), supported religious freedom and spoke out for the unborn was the icing on the cake.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: November 18th, 2021, 6:29 am Both establishment parties have allow the communist Chinese to use the lure of cheap labor and poor environmental standards to steal most of our manufacturing. Now they're using their new wealth to control our corporations.
It seems that everybody wants to blame political parties for the mess that we're in in the way of manufacturing but you only have to look as far as your retirement accounts to see why we're in that mess. Business is amoral, and when boards demand profits the business will find them even if that means downsizing or moving overseas. I always chuckle when people blast Walmart yet look at their quarterly investment statements and crow about how well they are performing. Part of the reason is there's a bunch of companies like Walmart in their portfolio. Would it be correct to assume that you have divested yourself of any kind of financial involvement with companies that have off-shored jobs?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: November 18th, 2021, 8:06 am
TH Spangler wrote: November 18th, 2021, 6:29 am Both establishment parties have allow the communist Chinese to use the lure of cheap labor and poor environmental standards to steal most of our manufacturing. Now they're using their new wealth to control our corporations.
It seems that everybody wants to blame political parties for the mess that we're in in the way of manufacturing but you only have to look as far as your retirement accounts to see why we're in that mess. Business is amoral, and when boards demand profits the business will find them even if that means downsizing or moving overseas. I always chuckle when people blast Walmart yet look at their quarterly investment statements and crow about how well they are performing. Part of the reason is there's a bunch of companies like Walmart in their portfolio. Would it be correct to assume that you have divested yourself of any kind of financial involvement with companies that have off-shored jobs?
I have researched doing it. Mine is in Fidelity with limited options, it's difficult. I wish I could avoid Blackrock but it's bundled.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: November 18th, 2021, 6:29 am A biblical worldview is probably more libertarian. I'm registered as independent. I voted for Trump because I don't care for either party and I considered him an independent. Both establishment parties have allow the communist Chinese to use the lure of cheap labor and poor environmental standards to steal most of our manufacturing. Now they're using their new wealth to control our corporations.

The fact that Trump supported Israel (secured the Abraham Accord), supported religious freedom and spoke out for the unborn was the icing on the cake.
Trump reached out his hand and said, vote for me, I'll be sympathetic to your cause. And then, he delivered. That's representative democracy. All the judicial appointments alone were worth it. Nothing is ever all good or all bad. But, you gotta place your bet somewhere. No use whining about the good ole days, when you've got a life to live right in front of you.
JK37 liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote:
TH Spangler wrote: November 18th, 2021, 6:29 am A biblical worldview is probably more libertarian. I'm registered as independent. I voted for Trump because I don't care for either party and I considered him an independent. Both establishment parties have allow the communist Chinese to use the lure of cheap labor and poor environmental standards to steal most of our manufacturing. Now they're using their new wealth to control our corporations.

Trump reached out his hand and said, vote for me, I'll be sympathetic to your cause. And then, he delivered. That's representative democracy. All the judicial appointments alone were worth it. Nothing is ever all good or all bad. But, you gotta place your bet somewhere. No use whining about the good ole days, when you've got a life to live right in front of you.
What you just described I would also call one of the biggest con-jobs in history. Trump convincing Christians that he's on their side. I can't reconcile a handful of policy decisions with the overall damage done to spreading the gospel due to the protestant embracing of Trump. But that's a story for another thread.
stokesjokes liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Yeah, this is one of the things that gets me. The folks that rail the loudest against things like globalism are people reaping huge benefits as a result of it. It's not only through things like pension funds but also through the products they use every day at a low cost.

And you can divest yourself TH if you're that passionate about it. It just might make your life not as comfortable.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: November 18th, 2021, 9:40 am
paradox wrote:

What you just described I would also call one of the biggest con-jobs in history. Trump convincing Christians that he's on their side. I can't reconcile a handful of policy decisions with the overall damage done to spreading the gospel due to the protestant embracing of Trump. But that's a story for another thread.
From a practical standpoint he's fine. And that's what I was addressing. But, from a puritanical standpoint, he's a disaster. So, I see your point. However, most people aren't purists. They just go out there and place a bet and see where it lands. The judges were huge.....so was the economy, etc.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: November 18th, 2021, 9:44 am
rogers3 wrote:
Yeah, this is one of the things that gets me. The folks that rail the loudest against things like globalism are people reaping huge benefits as a result of it. It's not only through things like pension funds but also through the products they use every day at a low cost.

And you can divest yourself TH if you're that passionate about it. It just might make your life not as comfortable.
I read an article that said they declare a curfew in Deli India this week do to air pollution from burning coal. Probably producing goods for a clean energy US multinational.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: November 18th, 2021, 10:08 am
Yacht Rock wrote: November 18th, 2021, 9:40 am
paradox wrote:
From a practical standpoint he's fine. And that's what I was addressing. But, from a puritanical standpoint, he's a disaster. So, I see your point. However, most people aren't purists. They just go out there and place a bet and see where it lands. The judges were huge.....so was the economy, etc.
Esau McCauley had a fascinating take on this recently, but I can’t find it. He said he wished that more Christians were willing to lose elections. Imagine a Christian candidate that was meek and compassionate and showed the fruit of the Spirit. They might get decimated in an election, but we would become a people who lived and voted their values, even if it cost us. What a witness that would be.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Someone told me, Anthony Campolo once said that if the Russians invaded our shores, he'd be there on bended knee, greeting them with flowers. This was apparently attributed to him during the peak of the Cold War. To Campolo, I guess that's Christianity? But to most people, it just looks like misguided fanaticism.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I mean, depends on how seriously you take “love your enemies,” “do not return evil with evil,” “turn the other cheek,” “pray for those who persecute you,” “bless those who curse you,” et. al
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]