If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: October 27th, 2021, 7:32 pm
Ill flame wrote: October 27th, 2021, 7:20 pm
Purple Haize wrote: October 27th, 2021, 7:10 pm JMU is in going to be in a Conference. LU is not. Sorry but that’s gotta sting. It’s like they crashed the party, brought some beer and are now sitting in the corner watching the other boy get dances with the pretty (and not so pretty) girls.
I'm confused. It's supposed to sting us that we weren't invited to dance with the ugly girls in the sunbelt?
Right now the Sun Belt is looking pretty attractive. And they are on the dance floor. Not huddled in a corner by themselves holding a solo cup filled with back wash
Ready for the Tyndal23 plan yet ?
TH Spangler, LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
For JMU to leave the CAA, the move would require a $1 million buyout, plus an additional $250,000 to leave CAA football. Plus an increase in athletic spending. I guess the state is willing to pay for a 4th FBS team. :lol:
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
https://theathletic.com/news/old-domini ... EG1dTqTys/

So with ODU confirmed, Marshall awaiting the installation of their new president, and JMU's move an administrative matter at the state level, the idea of a Mid-Atlantic football conference is dead. There are no moves C-USA can make to lift it above its current status as the worst of the FBS conferences, no disrespect to its members intended, so we stay independent and wait. I trust our AD, and a new president is on the horizon, so I am content with our holding pattern. Playing well the remainder of the season should be our response to the realignment frenzy.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 27th, 2021, 11:03 pm
Purple Haize wrote: October 27th, 2021, 9:55 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: October 27th, 2021, 9:16 pm JMU Board is meeting at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow or Friday. I hope they vote to not go to Sun Belt.
Ok. You are in the room and on the Board. Make your case for not going
1. $$$$$$$$ (expenses)
2. Tougher league = more defeats
Your first point has some merit. But is countered by the increase in revenue. If those two numbers are close then it should eliminate that concern. Football is a money loser anyways it’s just a matter of how much and what you get for it. A game or two on National TV, Increased Regional Exposure and Bowl Game possibility (they will have several options) also need to be factored in to the cost
Your second point isn’t as strong. It’s purely speculative.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: October 28th, 2021, 1:26 am
Purple Haize wrote: October 27th, 2021, 7:32 pm
Ill flame wrote: October 27th, 2021, 7:20 pm

I'm confused. It's supposed to sting us that we weren't invited to dance with the ugly girls in the sunbelt?
Right now the Sun Belt is looking pretty attractive. And they are on the dance floor. Not huddled in a corner by themselves holding a solo cup filled with back wash
Ready for the Tyndal23 plan yet ?
Nope. Because it’s still based on unicorns and skittle rainbows.
alabama24 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: October 28th, 2021, 1:24 am While I think the sunbelt is making the right decisions for the most part, it'll still be the 3rd best G5 (G4?) for the foreseeable future. The only school with a high ceiling is Georgia St but the sunbelt did the equivalent of a MLB team signing a 16 year old Dominican player, they still have a long way to go.

App St, Louisiana and Marshall have relatively high floors but are held back by relatively limited resources. Unfortunately for every solid football program they have a counterweight at the bottom of the conference keeping them from gaining momentum like ULM, Texas St, USA and now JMU, ODU and USM (at least for the next few years)

While I think joining the sunbelt has advantages and I'm happy for them that they are trending up and gaining serious momentum, I'm not upset in the slightest that we won't be joining what will still be the second worst conference in fbs unless c-usa finds a way to survive.
Being in a conference with Regional schools would have been super significant in a lot of ways. That whole iron sharpens iron thing. Your ranking of G5 is a bit off and based on the past not the new alignment. They are going to be a solid conference
thepostman, LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 27th, 2021, 10:45 pm
paradox wrote: October 27th, 2021, 10:30 pm
Purple Haize wrote: October 27th, 2021, 9:55 pm

Ok. You are in the room and on the Board. Make your case for not going
Ok then......the best possible season that you can have in the Sun Belt is 2020 CCU, but you lose your undefeated season to that thing that you said about a kid in a corner by the punchbowl. That's your ceiling. So, no matter how you slice it, you inevitably lose to the hip Indy guy down the road who's freed himself from all delusions & fantasies about the legitimacy of the Sun Belt.
Have you been drinking again? :D
Sun Belt 2023 is going to be a really solid league. I see no reason why JMU would want to pass on that. Whatever it was that you just typed didn’t address that either
Sounds like they may be going to SB. But there are reasons to pass on that. Some anticipated JMU and Delaware and possibly long shot Villanova as the formation of a Mid Atlantic Conference....and then Navy is added and so on.... Seems like there were at least talks w/CUSA commish. Maybe, somewhere down the road? Who knows?

Right now, Indy is the best fit for us. All of this erratic behavior and instability with the lower conferences---over what? Obscure ESPN exposure that only gives you a false sense of validation. Essentially games that nobody watches. Does anyone outside of the MAC care about NIU@Kent on ESPN?

My final two cents...we have a coach who thinks he can build something as an Indy. Let's give it a try. I'd rather go after the real thing, rather than settle for less. Become credible by winning.
Liberty22, ballcoach15, LUOrange and 1 others liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
One way or the other, Indy is our only option at this stage. The combination of the dumpster fire we continue to have at the top of our house in administration with the exception of the Athletic Department + our athletic success/budget fear factor makes us toxic for inclusion. It is what it is. We know where we need to start cleaning up our own house but right now there is little appetite from those in power to relinquish their grip even to the school's detriment.

Indy has been a blessing to us thus far. Our best shot now is that there will be pressure on P5s to want to up-schedule their non-con games and then we come into play. The current situation that rewards cream puff guarantee games does not play well for us moving forward. Hopefully Ian is able to engage his network to potentially get us some Big XII dates moving forward.
Risewithus liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Very little difference between Sun Belt & CUSA schools. A few are average schools at best, and some are below average, and some are at bottom of the scum barrel. I see no TV appeal in any conference game, unless they are playing a Power 5 school. AAC is somewhat better, but not much.
I still hope we end up in the Big 12.
Racenut, TH Spangler liked this
By LUOrange
JMU deserves to be FBS and they should've taken the Belt's offer years ago. Hopefully (and I have no reason to believe they haven't), McCaw and Friends have built a strong enough relationship with JMU, ODU & Marshall to continue scheduling them in the future. Especially JMU. An annual game/rivalry would do wonders for our fanbase, and the JMU arrogance makes the easy to hate and want to beat.

As I've typed before, we just need to fully embrace being Indy and dare I say, appreciate the ASUN while we're in it (that really hurt to type). McCaw, Freeze, McKay & Jackson are the guys to really take our program to the next level. We just need to embrace the underdog role, cause it's never going away unless we become as "Christian" as TCU and SMU are. Which is something I'm adamantly opposed to. So we need to try and schedule in football & MBB similarly to baseball.

We do need to make some serious leadership changes at the University. That will help us some conference wise but only so much. I want the changes because it's the right thing to do, not because we want in a conference. Most of these schools didn't like us in the 90's, the last decade, now, and they probably won't tomorrow. So we need to embrace Dr .Falwell's remark that "we need to get so big and good that they have to take us." But that should be in everything- sports, academics, and most importantly, in how we treat people, especially our own. Basically, we need to practice what we preach, not change what we preach.
Last edited by LUOrange on October 28th, 2021, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ill flame
Purple Haize wrote: October 28th, 2021, 8:00 am
Ill flame wrote: October 28th, 2021, 1:24 am While I think the sunbelt is making the right decisions for the most part, it'll still be the 3rd best G5 (G4?) for the foreseeable future. The only school with a high ceiling is Georgia St but the sunbelt did the equivalent of a MLB team signing a 16 year old Dominican player, they still have a long way to go.

App St, Louisiana and Marshall have relatively high floors but are held back by relatively limited resources. Unfortunately for every solid football program they have a counterweight at the bottom of the conference keeping them from gaining momentum like ULM, Texas St, USA and now JMU, ODU and USM (at least for the next few years)

While I think joining the sunbelt has advantages and I'm happy for them that they are trending up and gaining serious momentum, I'm not upset in the slightest that we won't be joining what will still be the second worst conference in fbs unless c-usa finds a way to survive.
Being in a conference with Regional schools would have been super significant in a lot of ways. That whole iron sharpens iron thing. Your ranking of G5 is a bit off and based on the past not the new alignment. They are going to be a solid conference
ODU and USM are 2 of the worst teams in the country right now, JMU is FCS and will likely take awhile to catch up and Marshall is solid but not great. I think those were solid adds for the sunbelt but in no way do those teams push the sunbelt over the AAC or MWC. Other than 4 solid teams in the sunbelt (that we already have on the schedule) "iron sharpening iron" isn't what I think of when I think of us joining the sunbelt. With our 2026 and later schedules we should aspire to play a tougher schedule than we would otherwise play in the sunbelt. We are in a much better position to do that now than we were in when we created our current schedules.
Liberty22 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Ill flame wrote: October 28th, 2021, 11:51 am
Purple Haize wrote: October 28th, 2021, 8:00 am

ODU and USM are 2 of the worst teams in the country right now, JMU is FCS and will likely take awhile to catch up and Marshall is solid but not great. I think those were solid adds for the sunbelt but in no way do those teams push the sunbelt over the AAC or MWC. Other than 4 solid teams in the sunbelt (that we already have on the schedule) "iron sharpening iron" isn't what I think of when I think of us joining the sunbelt. With our 2026 and later schedules we should aspire to play a tougher schedule than we would otherwise play in the sunbelt. We are in a much better position to do that now than we were in when we created our current schedules.
There's two kinds of people when looking into realignment/college sports. Long term and short term thinkers. Most schools are where they are because of long term visionaries. Dr. Fall well was a long term thinker. Thank goodness Own McCaw is a long term thinker, because if we had some of the folks here making decisions, we would be look desperately and would take anything and likely remain stuck in conferences that will not really excel that much based on financial support. The AAC couldve used the P6 image because most of their schools could've been P5 but was ignored. Now that a few of them are now finally where they should've been, the AAC still have that image (for now) . I think it was the right decision to stay Indy and just keep winning.
Racenut liked this
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 28th, 2021, 10:42 am There is one big difference between CUSA and the Sunbelt. One is on the rise and the other is about to die. But other then that, totally the same.
On a National level, they are viewed about the same, with the exception of Napier being floated as a possible replacement for every fired coach in the country.
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Your point is well taken, but until then, the Belt is no more Nationally signifificant then the MAC or the WAC. Hate it for Skip Holtz. His Offense was painful to watch at ECU, but he did win 2 C-USA Championships and rescue them from the John Thompson debacle. For those who might not know, ECU (actually a moron AD did it with the help of know-it-all Boosters) fired a very successful and popular head coach in Steve Logan only to totally crash the program with the hiring of Thompson. A couple years later, Terry Holland and Coach Holtz came in to ressurrect the program but Holtz eventually left to join family in South Florida. In comes a popular Alum, Ruffin McNeil who brought Lincoln Riley with him from Texas Tech and the Pirates have a great run until ECU (actually another moron AD with the help of know-it-all Boosters) decides that they need a change to go to the "Next Level". Hence McNeil is fired and another dolt is hired and ECU sinks to the deepest "Next Level" there is. A new Coach is in his Third year now and the results have been mediocre at best.
This may explain why I am so protective of HCHF in some of my posts. Unbelievable how some can try to trash on what has been happening on the mountain when things could be so different. We have such a talented, humble representative of the University who has accomplished great things in an incredibly short period of time, but some can only find fault with anything. I say, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
While I digressed, ECU should have been in a much better position when this round of realignment talks began, but now they are floundering and not even in the conversation. I don't want LU to be caught in a similar downward trend.
By LU 57
Support for HCHF is nearly universal on this board, with one notable exception.

Questioning an intra-game decision, or pointing out poor play here and there does not equate to “trash(ing) what has been happening on the mountain”.

Just feel like your fire is a little too broad-based at times.
thepostman liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I love HF and I think most on here do. We can disagree with something HF does from time to time. It doesn't mean we support him less. I disagree with my best friend in the world, my wife, from time to time but I love her more now than I ever have before. Life would be pretty boring if we all agreed all the time.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am reminded of what I heard a fellow say at Winthrop University about 20 years ago:

"Go to any ball park in the country, and those 4 guys standing behind the backstop, are the 4 best coaches and umpires in America"
By Longshots
Ya know what? Winning a conference championship and then playing in a bowl game is better than nothing. We could win CUSA every year. Gotta start somewhere.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]