This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Whatisthetruth
Whatisthetruth wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:56 am Liberty U president says on tape that ‘getting people elected’ is his goal

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/2 ... nce-517303
Brilliant PR guys at LU --- Here, look at this policy. It says we cannot do that stuff. So ignore our actions and directives from our president. Nothing to see here, it is just the work of the devil and the corrupt media.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:56 am Liberty U president says on tape that ‘getting people elected’ is his goal

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/2 ... nce-517303
Not surprising but so disappointing. Partisan politics in the public square invariably leads to compromising of principles. We have seen enough hypocrisy in the church. How about we just deal with the Bible, speak out on moral issues and encourage people to vote? The Bible should inform your politics and well, if your political leanings are correct you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
k9saber liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I’m torn on that one because I think we have to first recognize what Liberty is and has always been. Those of us who think Liberty should back off from partisan politics and “return to its original mission” are doing some revisionist history. Liberty has always had partisan politics front and center. Now, I don’t think it should, but I’m the one asking for Liberty to be something it’s never been.

I’ve been close to the point for a while where I just let Liberty be what it is and move on. Sad to say for my x2 alma mater. I’d love to see reform, I’m just not sure it’s possible at this point. I’d say it would take something drastic for any substantive change to occur, but drastic things have been happening for a couple years, and still nothing.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah. I don't like and have never liked the poltical slant of many things the University does but it is what is at this point. My only concern is ensuring it doesn't overshadow the main purpose of the college and I think the last few years it has. With Jerry Sr running the show I never had that feeling. He was poltical and he certainly positioned the school to be a force in conservative politics but he never let you forget the main purpose of the university was.

I'm more concerned with the total lack of competence the acting president and the board has shown time and time again over the last 5 to 10 years than I am about politics. Take care of the incompetence and I think that slowly takes care of the rest.
By sstaedtler
Liberty does have every right to defend their views on abortion, LGBT issues, school vouchers, debt, and many other issues. What they can't do is endorse candidates. Of course, many professors at leftist colleges routinely disparage candidates and endorse others. These colleges engage in highly political. activity and no one does anything. I have no problem with Falkirk Center IF the purpose is showing conservative students how to defend their beliefs in the public square. That is not the same as endorsing candidates or being part of electing a candidate.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 27th, 2021, 10:08 am I’m torn on that one because I think we have to first recognize what Liberty is and has always been. Those of us who think Liberty should back off from partisan politics and “return to its original mission” are doing some revisionist history. Liberty has always had partisan politics front and center. Now, I don’t think it should, but I’m the one asking for Liberty to be something it’s never been.

I’ve been close to the point for a while where I just let Liberty be what it is and move on. Sad to say for my x2 alma mater. I’d love to see reform, I’m just not sure it’s possible at this point. I’d say it would take something drastic for any substantive change to occur, but drastic things have been happening for a couple years, and still nothing.
It was no secret back in the day that Sr. was in bed with the GOP but at the same time he didn't discuss every policy, he mostly stuck to the moral issues of the day, thus the Moral Majority. I think later on he embarrassed himself, TRBC and LU when he promoted the videos about Clinton and Whitewater, claiming Clinton had people killed. I think Clinton was corrupt and immoral but this conspiracy stuff was a low point IMO. That being said, the school is MUCH bigger today and has a far bigger footprint because of the success of the sports program, more alumni, and the large online enrollment. At the same time, they have become pragmatic and hypocritical, having had no problem supporting candidates at odds with those original moral principles. IMO they are not what "used to be".
By Ill flame
Has anyone in the administration shown an interest in getting away from politics or is this something that will likely never change? I like that the school is inherently conservative but actively campaigning for conservatives even in a roundabout way is too far.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Prevo's last formal position before commandeering control of Liberty as "acting" president was as Chairman of the Republican Party of Alaska. I think that answers your question as to how long the current power dynamics in the university remain unchanged.
By lawdawg2002
As the board is currently made up, I do not believe anything will change. It is ingrained in them that Christian=Republican talking points and candidates (no matter what the candidate says or does). That being said, generally the next generation of evangelical leaders believe in Christ alone and standing by scripture, but they believe we should not have attempted to become a political movement it takes away from the Great Commission. For those of us in academia we see it as we gave up the Christian mind to chase politics. If you have not read it, you should read The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind.

I believe, based on some things I cannot say here, that the current board truly wants to clean up this mess and leave the university in a better place for the next generation. My fear, though, is that they are not capable of cleaning it up. Running a university is not politics, nor is it a super-sized church. It is another animal altogether and has to be respected in that way.
stokesjokes liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler wrote: October 27th, 2021, 10:28 am Liberty does have every right to defend their views on abortion, LGBT issues, school vouchers, debt, and many other issues. What they can't do is endorse candidates. Of course, many professors at leftist colleges routinely disparage candidates and endorse others. These colleges engage in highly political. activity and no one does anything. I have no problem with Falkirk Center IF the purpose is showing conservative students how to defend their beliefs in the public square. That is not the same as endorsing candidates or being part of electing a candidate.
You know how you do that? Turn out the brightest sharpest minds possible bunhiring the best and brightest educators. Put your graduates in the work force and in the fields that will fight back on every front on a daily basis
OR just have some uneducated loudmouth do it under the University Banner
lawdawg2002 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
lawdawg2002 wrote: October 27th, 2021, 1:52 pm As the board is currently made up, I do not believe anything will change. It is ingrained in them that Christian=Republican talking points and candidates (no matter what the candidate says or does). That being said, generally the next generation of evangelical leaders believe in Christ alone and standing by scripture, but they believe we should not have attempted to become a political movement it takes away from the Great Commission. For those of us in academia we see it as we gave up the Christian mind to chase politics. If you have not read it, you should read The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind.

I believe, based on some things I cannot say here, that the current board truly wants to clean up this mess and leave the university in a better place for the next generation. My fear, though, is that they are not capable of cleaning it up. Running a university is not politics, nor is it a super-sized church. It is another animal altogether and has to be respected in that way.

If the Board wanted a real change Pringles (typo I’m sticking with) wouldn’t be in charge, everyone named or associated with FALWELL would have been let go and they all would have resigned after coming up with a succession strategy. They did not do that. They love the power too much
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 27th, 2021, 7:14 pm
sstaedtler wrote: October 27th, 2021, 10:28 am These colleges engage in highly political. activity and no one does anything. I have no problem with Falkirk Center IF the purpose is showing conservative students how to defend their beliefs in the public square. That is not the same as
You know how you do that? Turn out the brightest sharpest minds possible by hiring the best and brightest educators. Put your graduates in the work force and in the fields that will fight back on every front on a daily basis.....

This is an excellent post. It's also supposed to be the mission and vision after the school rebranded itself as a non-denominational university.
lawdawg2002 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm not saying this because I think Jr should still be on board. He shouldn't be at all but he was far more qualified to run the school than Prevo. We took a huge step backwards with him taking control and that isn't saying much. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that he still claims his fake doctorate from Hyles-Anderson. It is just unbelievable.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 28th, 2021, 9:51 am I'm not saying this because I think Jr should still be on board. He shouldn't be at all but he was far more qualified to run the school than Prevo. We took a huge step backwards with him taking control and that isn't saying much. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that he still claims his fake doctorate from Hyles-Anderson. It is just unbelievable.
I would run away from that "gift" as hard as I could no matter the reason. HAC is completely anti-intellectual unless you want to learn about being a captain on a bus route. And talk about a place with sexual problems!!! :twisted:
thepostman, Baybird, Sly Fox liked this
By lawdawg2002
So the Falkirk Center was a big black eye for the university in the academic world. While I'm sure it was a fine political organization, it had no business in a university. They used terms and titles to suggest that it was an academic think tank when it was a political organization. There is nothing wrong with having a conservative or Christian conservative/libertarian think tanks in a university (See the Hoover Institute at Stanford.) What is wrong is having an organization that is beholden to party politics. Also, I personally have a problem with their calling people "Fellows" who didn't even have degrees and those who had been caught exaggerating their academic experience.

Don't get me wrong, a Christian conservative think tank would make an amazing difference in this world, but it would have to be disciplined and stay above politics. I also think it would be well respected in the world and even considered refreshing to fair-minded academicians.
Last edited by lawdawg2002 on October 29th, 2021, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just John, JK37, stokesjokes liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
lawdawg2002 wrote: October 29th, 2021, 12:01 am So the Falkirk Center was a big black eye for the university in the academic world. While I'm sure it was a fine political organization, it had no business in a university. They used terms and titles to suggest that it was an academic think tank when it was a political organization. There is nothing wrong with having a conservative or Christian conservative/libertarian think tanks in a university (See the Hoover Institute at Stanford.) What is wrong is having an organization that is beholden to party politics. Also, I personally have a problem with their calling people "Fellows" who didn't even have degrees and those who had been caught exaggerating their academic academic experience.

Don't get me wrong, a Christian conservative think tank would make an amazing difference in this world, but it would have to be disciplined and stay above politics. I also think it would be well respected in the world and even considered refreshing to fair-minded academicians.
Totally agree. Something like Hoover would be fantastic but Falkirk was a joke and had some of the absolute worst "fellows" competing with Charlie Kirk for the "worst"...Jena Ellis of the "Elite Trump election legal team, Eric Metaxas who is turning to prophetess Amanda Grace for her prophecy that Trump may still come back before 2024 and "Dr." Seb Gorka among others. Sadly Metaxas made the cut and is still around for the new Standing for Freedom Center. He interviewed the disgraced Mike Lindell as late as this past September on his radio show. :oops: :BS
By lawdawg2002
Eric has been such a disappointment for a couple of years. His books on Wilberforce and Bonhoeffer were good. I didn't read Luther because I was mad at him for Donald Builds the Wall! and some of his radio show guests, but I'm getting over it now and will probably go back and read Luther. Still trying to decide whether to read his latest book.

Eric's transition over the last few years, though, is what a person like Prevo can't understand. I will assume Prevo has a hunger for God in the average evangelical person in the pew sense, but that is not the same hunger for God that a president of a university needs. Just as I'm sure Prevo wanted to be the best pastor he could be for the glory of God, a Christian university president has to want to be the best university president for the glory of God, not pastor serving as president sense. I'm afraid he doesn't see the difference. Jerry always said, "If its going to be Christian, it has to be better." I actually believed that when he would say it, I've reminded myself of it many times when I wanted to quit, and I teach my kids the same quote. Its time for LU to live up to it.

Someone close to a couple of board members told me that the president of LU position is a glorified fund raiser. I don't know if they got that from a board member or if that was their belief, but in a university that is only partly true and shows a very narrow understanding of the academic world. If a president wants to define their role as just a fund raiser and setter of the spiritual tone, then they have to have an academic stud at the provost position. You can't have both with spotty or only internal academic experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Prevo and Hicks are great Christian men, but that doesn't make them a great university president or provost. To quote Owen Wilson, "We might want to be a pimps from LA or a cowboys from Oklahoma, but we're not." They (the board) need to look at these positions and put great Christian men or women in them that fit the needs of the positions.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
lawdawg2002 wrote: October 29th, 2021, 7:27 am Eric has been such a disappointment for a couple of years. His books on Wilberforce and Bonhoeffer were good. I didn't read Luther because I was mad at him for Donald Builds the Wall! and some of his radio show guests, but I'm getting over it now and will probably go back and read Luther. Still trying to decide whether to read his latest book.

Eric's transition over the last few years, though, is what a person like Prevo can't understand. I will assume Prevo has a hunger for God in the average evangelical person in the pew sense, but that is not the same hunger for God that a president of a university needs. Just as I'm sure Prevo wanted to be the best pastor he could be for the glory of God, a Christian university president has to want to be the best university president for the glory of God, not pastor serving as president sense. I'm afraid he doesn't see the difference. Jerry always said, "If its going to be Christian, it has to be better." I actually believed that when he would say it, I've reminded myself of it many times when I wanted to quit, and I teach my kids the same quote. Its time for LU to live up to it.

Someone close to a couple of board members told me that the president of LU position is a glorified fund raiser. I don't know if they got that from a board member or if that was their belief, but in a university that is only partly true and shows a very narrow understanding of the academic world. If a president wants to define their role as just a fund raiser and setter of the spiritual tone, then they have to have an academic stud at the provost position. You can't have both with spotty or only internal academic experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Prevo and Hicks are great Christian men, but that doesn't make them a great university president or provost. To quote Owen Wilson, "We might want to be a pimps from LA or a cowboys from Oklahoma, but we're not." They (the board) need to look at these positions and put great Christian men or women in them that fit the needs of the positions.
You may be a little more charitable than me but well said!
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Metaxas is relevant. There are certain parts of the country where the eduction system has been completely lost to ideologues. Eric is well-positioned to address this. The books he writes are geared toward students who are being indoctrinated with suspect revisionist theories. So, in a nutshell, he upholds the Judeo-Christian ethic in this context, and gives the student something to reflect on when he/she feels that their faith is being undermined by their education. In context, he's a great fit for the mission of this university. We are fortunate to have him.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
You could have said that about Metaxas 5-6 years ago, but he’s gone full-on looney tunes since then. I’m not sure where the break was, but he’s been off the deep end for a while. He’s not someone we want to be associated with anymore.

And on the “Standing for Freedom Center,” I’ve flipped through their mailings that unfortunately come to my house and I’ve stumbled across articles online. It’s such a mess. There’s no academic work at all and some of these articles are so unprofessional and needlessly belligerent, they sound like someone transcribing Trump speaking at a rally.

It’s a shame, because like most things at LU, the resources are there to make it top notch to where it might really impact the culture for Christ. As it is, it’s just self-serving drivel to rile up the people that already agree with them.
Just John liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 29th, 2021, 9:36 am You could have said that about Metaxas 5-6 years ago, but he’s gone full-on looney tunes since then. I’m not sure where the break was, but he’s been off the deep end for a while. He’s not someone we want to be associated with anymore.

And on the “Standing for Freedom Center,” I’ve flipped through their mailings that unfortunately come to my house and I’ve stumbled across articles online. It’s such a mess. There’s no academic work at all and some of these articles are so unprofessional and needlessly belligerent, they sound like someone transcribing Trump speaking at a rally.

It’s a shame, because like most things at LU, the resources are there to make it top notch to where it might really impact the culture for Christ. As it is, it’s just self-serving drivel to rile up the people that already agree with them.
I ended up watching that debate he had with David French during the last election season. I'm not sure if you're the one who referred me to that or not? IMO, Eric is in a better position to understand ideology due to the context that he's immersed in. A legit writer has to have an honest voice. It's hard to get your political vision out there in the format that he's currently engaged in. I think that's why Orwell said that the only way to do it, for him, was through literary fiction.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]