Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: October 25th, 2021, 11:30 am I think I would rather see Bennett start this game and Willis come in if things go south. The more healthy we can get before Ole miss the better.
Bennett has a heavily taped hand in practice today… he’s sitting out. I think Willis needs to start the game. You see NFL teams sit players out to “test” in week 16 before playoffs start. Sometimes the rest doesn’t help, especially at a rhythmic driven position like QB.
Kricket liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Not sure if Bennett will even play this weekend in his backup role. His fingers were heavily taped this morning at practice and he didn't participate in drills.
By LibertyMan
Racenut wrote: October 25th, 2021, 12:04 am
LibertyMan wrote: October 24th, 2021, 2:41 pm These celebrations feel like the HCTG days when team struggle to get to 500 every season. “ULM gave up 159 point to 3 teams, barely beat JS and Troy and we loose to them. UNT’s only victory was against Northwestern State and there’s celebration like we just pulled out a victory over Ole Miss. There’s nothing to celebrate until we beat either Army, Ole Miss, or Ragin Cajuns. Hopefully all of them. But if we don’t beat either, the season is a failure at 7-5.” That’s my Coach speech in the locker room!
If that's your "Coach Speech, I doubt anyone would be motivated to play for you at all. All your posts seem to be about pointing out mistakes, shortcomings or failures. You seem to relish the opportunity to degrade coaches or players that don't measure up to your 20/20 hindsight. There is someone like you at nearly every little league, junior high or high school game that I have been to and they don't seem to realize that everyone around them views them as a jerk. This team is struggling to balance last year's success with now being a team that is getting everyone's best shot. We have seen some great plays to go along with some inconsistancy. This team has yet to play their best game, but I think it's coming. Glad it doesn't depend on your "coach speech".
The only “jerk” is someone who has to “name call” to express their opinion! I speak facts from a winners perspective. I figured there would be a “bleeding heart” responder. We’ve had 3 years to recruit FBS players. We can’t make the FCS excuses when poor coaching and playing on the field, against inferior teams (31 point under dogs), becomes a weekly issue! This is FBS Football. I’ve played at this level on a successful team and the coaches message was never soft. Hey but I’m a little old school. Hey but have it you way coach!
By LibertyMan
paradox wrote: October 26th, 2021, 8:59 pm How do you know that HF's message is soft?
Watch the press conferences bro! I’m tired of hearing about how we have FCS talent when we loose games in the press conferences. We’ve had 3 seasons to recruit FBS players so he can’t keep using that excuse! The team is to one-sided this season. Very little J Huntley, Stubbs, JMack, Frith, Shedro (limited) contributions. As a result, we are predictable and it’s becoming too easy to stop our offense lately! I’m just saying…something to think about. Too much focus on Willis… The O-line didn’t get worse. They just don’t know whether to run block or pass block with all focus on Willis. The players above didn’t get worse. Their just sitting back and watching Willis. I’ve never been one afraid to speak the truth. But it is what it is…
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I think Hugh stated that he needs five years to get to where he needs to be...after moving from FCS. I think he deserves at least that. And let's not forget that after he turned down the Auburn OC job, he managed to land here with their back-up QB. It's no coincidence. Just for that, he's worth every penny.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
100% guarantee you HCHF halftime talks aren’t exactly adherent to The Liberty Way there Johnny Rico
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
LibertyMan wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:16 pm
paradox wrote: October 26th, 2021, 8:59 pm How do you know that HF's message is soft?
Watch the press conferences bro! I’m tired of hearing about how we have FCS talent when we loose games in the press conferences. We’ve had 3 seasons to recruit FBS players so he can’t keep using that excuse! The team is to one-sided this season. Very little J Huntley, Stubbs, JMack, Frith, Shedro (limited) contributions. As a result, we are predictable and it’s becoming too easy to stop our offense lately! I’m just saying…something to think about. Too much focus on Willis… The O-line didn’t get worse. They just don’t know whether to run block or pass block with all focus on Willis. The players above didn’t get worse. Their just sitting back and watching Willis. I’ve never been one afraid to speak the truth. But it is what it is…
I think the Coach has been pretty transparent in his press conference and is usually quick to put the blame on himself when it is warranted, saying that he has to do a better job coaching. I'm sure that you would probably have a hard time doing that. I'm also sure that Liberty is one of only three teams to be bowl eligible in their first three years after transitioning to FBS. And I'm pretty sure that he has led Ole Miss to two wins over Alabama and the school's first ever birth in the Sugar Bowl. And I'm pretty sure that he led Liberty to a few of the biggest wins in school history last year over Virginia Tech, Syracuse and a previously undefeated and ranked Coastal team for his second consecutive Bowl win. So I'm pretty sure that he has his "Coach Speech" down by now. You don't seem to be receptive to any rational football related explanations of how a team could lose a game so I question your true knowledge of the nuances, schemes, injuries or match ups. The fact that 12 starters were out during the ULM game also seems to evade your evaluation. I have been involved in college coaching in another sport and even have a National Championship ring to show for it. I've seen parents like you before. You obviously have a dislike for the HCHF. Maybe your kid didn't get a scholly, or you can't let go of the fact that he made some mistakes in life, I really don't know. But I'll tell you one thing, Liberty University Football would not have had the success that we have had the last three years without him and I think that 98% of true Liberty fans believe that and are looking forward with optimism. You should try it.
By tyndal23
The O Line absolutely got worse and by a big margin.
Last year we controlled the LOC against P5 teams with exception of NC ST. ( and that was more on MW than OL from the pass blocking ) That was what shocked me, we were doing it with every starter being an FCS recruit. Just not supposed to happen. I assumed we had one of the top O Line coaches in the country. We ran it well from 1st drive and got stronger in the 4th quarter and completely controlled the clock.
Huntley - I agree, but when your O Line isn’t holding up, you call for pass protect from your TE.
Stubbs is at 80% with his ankle - he will get back.
Mack is missing blocks right and left and not running great, HF did abandon the run too early against ULM, but then again we got down 14.
Frith just has never turned the corner. Should be a stud based on build, stiff and not great hands, does just enough to be out there.
Losing our best wide out from last year hurts, but we are undefeated if we have #6 on Defense back. He was the perfect plug last year - we replaced with good players, but they have missed way too many assignments in crucial drives and it has really cost us.
Last year was extremely lucky from injury/Covid.
Losing the GA/FIU wideout due to eligibility last minute is also a big difference on offense.
ULM and UNT - both bad records, both have better talented athletes ( ULM maybe a push) but UNT across the board ( as they should ). No team is good enough to overlook anyone and expect to win all their games, least of all LU. We have won every game we were supposed to win under HF with exception to ULM. The only game left we are supposed to win is UMASS - and I don’t care what Vegas says. ( and btw that 32.5 spread was spurred by a national pundit touting how LU has been a lock covering the spread ). Yes we should beat them 90 out of 100 - that game progressed as the perfect storm of what could go wrong - did. Rich Rod nailed us with 2nd half surprise and our 2 quick turnovers didn’t allow us to adjust.
Now - UNT - they smacked us in the mouth, kicked us in the nuts, and gave us an elbow while we were on the ground and we got up and willed our way to an beautiful/ugly win.
Hopefully our best ball is in front of us, and I think it is, but I am not predicting 3-1 for our last 4 games by any stretch. If we somehow do go 3-1 or better, it is because our O Line either got healed up, or coached up, whatever the problem is, but that WAS our identity last year, this year it’s all “ MW - do your thing” while at time’s it is entertaining, but it is way too stressful and leaves fighting to win every week - ( about where I expected to be in year 3 of bowl eligibility btw ).
As for HF always referring to “process” vs “goals” - I am cool with it if he is flexible to change/adjust the “process” when there are back to back road games mid/late season. Gill went overboard on the back to back trips to NM and made a mountain out of a mole hill - there is a happy medium.

This post edited by Bantam Random House
Special thanks to my editor PH - any typos or factual errors are his alone ( wouldn’t be here with out you )
Copyright 2021
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I have a theory about the drop-off in OL performance. We had all of those Seniors who were IN FACT FCS recruits, and they had everything set up to finish their college careers and get on with their lives after last season. Then we had such a great year, and they realized they had been granted that extra year of eligibility, and they all changed course and came back. Meanwhile we have guys on the depth chart who are FBS recruits, and probably more talented, but it's hard to not play the guys with all of the experience, which means they also get the lion's share of practice reps. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those "Super Seniors" are having a bit of regret and have lost some focus, realizing they have delayed their after football careers.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
We had a bad o-line last year, but we were able to camaflague it better. Teams are better prepared this year. And let's not forget, blocking is everybody's job. Even the running backs. Huntley as H-back has to be an option. He picks up blocks.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Watch the press conferences bro!
If you think that ANY coach's press conference statements bear ANY resemblance to his half time speeches, I really don't know what to say to you.

Other than you couldn't possibly be more wrong, and if you've played football at a high level you should know that.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]