Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#633924
The Malik off balance shovel pass was like nothing I've ever seen. Twenty yards in the air. Perfectly on-target toss. Eye-hand coordination appears to be on par with Larry Bird. This guy is in a category that's all his own.

Also...loved the comeback...so many big plays...Bennet...Demario....Shedro...Shaa...Daniels
LUOrange, Kricket, Baybird liked this
By tyndal23
Posts
#633928
Purple Haize wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:48 pm
stokesjokes wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:23 pm We have run 1 traditional RB screen all season (that I remember), and it was a 37 yard TD today. It bothers me that we don’t do this regularly and that it took so long to try, but hopefully coach’s eyes are open now.

Idk what the deal is with the o-line. Is it personnel? Is it scheme? Is it technique? The latter two are fixable, but the former worries me.
I remember there used to be a Tight End position as well
Agreed PH - we ran 4 receivers with trips a ton and either got sacked or made them pay. Seems like old Big 12 offenses but the difference was no quick screen or RB dump off option like Baylor/TTU of old - our reads have to be a full half second faster doing that and get rid of the ball. Seems like we were tying to have best of both worlds and it didn’t work ( until it did ) - I watch OU go through a slow start on O Line every year and almost every year they go from subpar to excellent by end of season. LU with same guys back, not seeing much improvement - I blamed being banged up for a 2-3 weeks, but now seems there is more to it. We did run a 2 tight a lot early in the year. HF may have planned this game to go deep and spread them out based on secondary - BUT did not calculate protection worth a darn - and that screen play was 2 and half quarters too late. We should have popped that on 2nd drive to keep them honest.
Dalegarz1 liked this
User avatar
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
#633934
paradox wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 9:24 pm The Malik off balance shovel pass was like nothing I've ever seen. Twenty yards in the air. Perfectly on-target toss. Eye-hand coordination appears to be on par with Larry Bird. This guy is in a category that's all his own.

Also...loved the comeback...so many big plays...Bennet...Demario....Shedro...Shaa...Daniels
Good post. It was a fun come back for sure. And that shovel pass was crazy. Went way farther than I expected. Also saving the safety by tossing it over his head was a game changer.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
#633943
I really think that the offensive line has gotten lazy because they figure Malik can get out of pressure anyway. Maybe the injury was a wakeup call for them - we'll have to see. Had we lost this game, 75% of it would have been on the OL (25% on the defense).
By LibertyMan
Posts
#633948
These celebrations feel like the HCTG days when team struggle to get to 500 every season. “ULM gave up 159 point to 3 teams, barely beat JS and Troy and we loose to them. UNT’s only victory was against Northwestern State and there’s celebration like we just pulled out a victory over Ole Miss. There’s nothing to celebrate until we beat either Army, Ole Miss, or Ragin Cajuns. Hopefully all of them. But if we don’t beat either, the season is a failure at 7-5.” That’s my Coach speech in the locker room!
By tyndal23
Posts
#633952
LibertyMan wrote: October 24th, 2021, 2:41 pm These celebrations feel like the HCTG days when team struggle to get to 500 every season. “ULM gave up 159 point to 3 teams, barely beat JS and Troy and we loose to them. UNT’s only victory was against Northwestern State and there’s celebration like we just pulled out a victory over Ole Miss. There’s nothing to celebrate until we beat either Army, Ole Miss, or Ragin Cajuns. Hopefully all of them. But if we don’t beat either, the season is a failure at 7-5.” That’s my Coach speech in the locker room!
Reminds you of long, long ago years of 2018 when UNT won 47-7 in Lynchburg ? My coach speech would be way to fight and win a tough road game, celebrate it and get ready for UMass.
rtb72, Kricket liked this
User avatar
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
#633953
LibertyMan wrote: October 24th, 2021, 2:41 pm These celebrations feel like the HCTG days when team struggle to get to 500 every season. “ULM gave up 159 point to 3 teams, barely beat JS and Troy and we loose to them. UNT’s only victory was against Northwestern State and there’s celebration like we just pulled out a victory over Ole Miss. There’s nothing to celebrate until we beat either Army, Ole Miss, or Ragin Cajuns. Hopefully all of them. But if we don’t beat either, the season is a failure at 7-5.” That’s my Coach speech in the locker room!
Point well taken that we are not playing as well as we should be but most other coaches locker room speech:

"We played some pretty bad football in the first half and we had way too many penalties but we showed character and tenacity in coming back. We have a lot to clean up before our next game or we may not be so fortunate to win like we did tonight. Now enjoy the win and the flight home and be ready to get at it Monday to prepare for UMass".

At least IMO.
LU 57, rtb72, Kricket liked this
By rtb72
Posts
#633968
phoenix wrote: October 24th, 2021, 12:52 pm I really think that the offensive line has gotten lazy because they figure Malik can get out of pressure anyway. Maybe the injury was a wakeup call for them - we'll have to see. Had we lost this game, 75% of it would have been on the OL (25% on the defense).
My biggest fear is Malik is going to get seriously hurt. The protection is dismal and it is becoming detrimental to our QB. I'm tired of seeing him running for his life
phoenix liked this
User avatar
By Ill flame
Posts
#633970
That offensive line is going to make or break our offense next year without Malik. The other position groups should be solid (not great) but I worry how a less mobile QB performs with an offensive line that blocks like every play is a screen pass.
By rtb72
Posts
#633973
Ill flame wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:00 pm That offensive line is going to make or break our offense next year without Malik. The other position groups should be solid (not great) but I worry how a less mobile QB performs with an offensive line that blocks like every play is a screen pass.
Absolutely. Even with a mobile QB, and I don't think Salter or Bennett are quite to Malik's skill set yet.....we have got to figure something out. Yesterday alone, we gave of 5 sacks in the first 2 quarters. Totally unacceptable!!!
User avatar
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
#633974
Football games are ALWAYS won or lost in the trenches. I thought we would be playing better on the O line with most all of them being super seniors.
phoenix liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#633976
rtb72 wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:23 pm
Ill flame wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:00 pm That offensive line is going to make or break our offense next year without Malik. The other position groups should be solid (not great) but I worry how a less mobile QB performs with an offensive line that blocks like every play is a screen pass.
Absolutely. Even with a mobile QB, and I don't think Salter or Bennett are quite to Malik's skill set yet.....we have got to figure something out. Yesterday alone, we gave of 5 sacks in the first 2 quarters. Totally unacceptable!!!
QB should be an open competition. Should be interesting. Nate Hampton is very much in the mix as well.
rtb72, LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#633977
flameshaw wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:39 pm Football games are ALWAYS won or lost in the trenches. I thought we would be playing better on the O line with most all of them being super seniors.
True. You almost never win, when you lose in the trenches. I watched the Ole Miss game yesterday, mostly because it was Eli Manning day. The guy was clutch with the Giants when they were able to keep him upright. Sadly, his prime years were wasted due to pathetic o-lines.
User avatar
By Ill flame
Posts
#633979
paradox wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:46 pm
rtb72 wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:23 pm
Ill flame wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:00 pm That offensive line is going to make or break our offense next year without Malik. The other position groups should be solid (not great) but I worry how a less mobile QB performs with an offensive line that blocks like every play is a screen pass.
Absolutely. Even with a mobile QB, and I don't think Salter or Bennett are quite to Malik's skill set yet.....we have got to figure something out. Yesterday alone, we gave of 5 sacks in the first 2 quarters. Totally unacceptable!!!
QB should be an open competition. Should be interesting. Nate Hampton is very much in the mix as well.
This excites me. Normally I would dread losing a talent like Malik but Bennett has been a solid backup with salter and Hampton potentially passing him up. Whoever is starting will 100% earn that play time.
By rtb72
Posts
#633980
paradox wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:46 pm
rtb72 wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:23 pm
Ill flame wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:00 pm That offensive line is going to make or break our offense next year without Malik. The other position groups should be solid (not great) but I worry how a less mobile QB performs with an offensive line that blocks like every play is a screen pass.
Absolutely. Even with a mobile QB, and I don't think Salter or Bennett are quite to Malik's skill set yet.....we have got to figure something out. Yesterday alone, we gave of 5 sacks in the first 2 quarters. Totally unacceptable!!!
QB should be an open competition. Should be interesting. Nate Hampton is very much in the mix as well.
Absolutely! I didn't mean to imply he wasn't. Competition breeds stronger performance, and he certainly has potential. Whoever steers our offense...I don't want them to get hurt or constantly have to run for their life due to a pitiful O line.
User avatar
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
#633987
LibertyMan wrote: October 24th, 2021, 2:41 pm These celebrations feel like the HCTG days when team struggle to get to 500 every season. “ULM gave up 159 point to 3 teams, barely beat JS and Troy and we loose to them. UNT’s only victory was against Northwestern State and there’s celebration like we just pulled out a victory over Ole Miss. There’s nothing to celebrate until we beat either Army, Ole Miss, or Ragin Cajuns. Hopefully all of them. But if we don’t beat either, the season is a failure at 7-5.” That’s my Coach speech in the locker room!
If that's your "Coach Speech, I doubt anyone would be motivated to play for you at all. All your posts seem to be about pointing out mistakes, shortcomings or failures. You seem to relish the opportunity to degrade coaches or players that don't measure up to your 20/20 hindsight. There is someone like you at nearly every little league, junior high or high school game that I have been to and they don't seem to realize that everyone around them views them as a jerk. This team is struggling to balance last year's success with now being a team that is getting everyone's best shot. We have seen some great plays to go along with some inconsistancy. This team has yet to play their best game, but I think it's coming. Glad it doesn't depend on your "coach speech".
LUOrange liked this
User avatar
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
#633989
LibertyMan wrote: October 24th, 2021, 2:41 pm These celebrations feel like the HCTG days when team struggle to get to 500 every season. “ULM gave up 159 point to 3 teams, barely beat JS and Troy and we loose to them. UNT’s only victory was against Northwestern State and there’s celebration like we just pulled out a victory over Ole Miss. There’s nothing to celebrate until we beat either Army, Ole Miss, or Ragin Cajuns. Hopefully all of them. But if we don’t beat either, the season is a failure at 7-5.” That’s my Coach speech in the locker room!
If you think we're celebrating like we beat Ole Miss, you're very much underestimating how much we will all be celebrating if we beat Ole Miss. :D

Very rarely do coaches emphasize anything other than going 1-0 every week. That's what we did. I get not being happy with execution. I don't think anybody is happy with that. But road FBS wins are tough. We still are a third year full FBS team, and we're not as talented as some thought we were. Even established teams filled with 4 star recruits lose at home to FCS teams occasionally (FSU just proved that a few weeks back). We're not good enough to turn our noses up at road FBS wins. Hugh Freeze says it all the time, that we rarely are more talented than the team we line up against. It takes more prep and focus to win almost any of these games than people realize and nothing can be taken for granted.

Message:
I like the grit to come back down 12 in the second half on the road. We didn't quit even when Malik went down. But this along with ULM this proves that we could lose to anybody if we don't give it 100% every single day. Every player needs to be ready (even backups like JB who stepped up when called). So while we're all happy to pull that one out, it just shows we need to have better focus in the coming weeks or else we know what the results will look like. FBS wins are hard fought so you have to be happy going 1-0. Enjoy the win tonight and let's focus on U-Mass tomorrow.
Just John liked this
User avatar
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
#633990
Also, we will be overmatched against Ole Miss, but something tells me Freeze has a game plan already mostly prepared in his head for that game.
User avatar
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#633992
Kricket wrote: October 25th, 2021, 7:21 am Also, we will be overmatched against Ole Miss, but something tells me Freeze has a game plan already mostly prepared in his head for that game.
Screens to Lewis and passes over the middle to tight ends in the red zone 😆
By ballcoach15
Posts
#633994
Kricket wrote: October 25th, 2021, 7:21 am Also, we will be overmatched against Ole Miss, but something tells me Freeze has a game plan already mostly prepared in his head for that game.
#1 key to Ole Miss game will be our pass defense.
LUOrange liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
#633995
ballcoach15 wrote: October 25th, 2021, 8:57 am
Kricket wrote: October 25th, 2021, 7:21 am Also, we will be overmatched against Ole Miss, but something tells me Freeze has a game plan already mostly prepared in his head for that game.
#1 key to Ole Miss game will be our pass defense.
I don’t know if that will be as key as helping Malik stay upright and more importantly healthy. He said he was alright after the game, but there was a scamper for a 1st down on a 3rd and 4 where it appeared he was clearly limping on that left foot. Like others have said though, it’s tough not to like this kid. Giving up back-to-back sacks, one of which came when they only rushed 3 is not good.

I don’t know if there were any scouts at this game, but if they watched the whole thing, Malik’s toughness and grit was on full display. That coupled with his attitude may help him personally come draft day.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#633997
I think the quicker we can pull Willis from the UMass game, the better. Our goal should be no Willis after half-time. We’ll need him as healthy as possible for Ole Miss.
User avatar
By jmclaughlin
Posts
#634002
Ill flame wrote: October 25th, 2021, 11:30 am I think I would rather see Bennett start this game and Willis come in if things go south. The more healthy we can get before Ole miss the better.
This.
Use this week to establish a push up front in the run game and get a quarter to 2 quarters of play out of our 2nd and 3rd group. I know what everyone says, we cant overlook our opponent this week...we should definitely overlook UMass this week. This has to be a warmup game. We aren't playing for a conference championship and frankly, our bowl game situation is not even fluid, outside of a win against Ole Miss, UL and Army. With 2 other losses on our ledger we are stuck with Cure bowl level pairings.
We have to get our other wideouts some action before Ole Miss as well. Lofton, Coleman and Moore need some snaps this week because we cant just run out 3 slot guys on 11/6 and hope for success. Screen game will be important. 5-8, 160 slot guys blocking for other 5-9, 165 slot guys is not a recipe for success.
Would love to see Salter get a few snaps for clickbait, recruiting purposes too.
Coaching Carousel 2021

"Best coaching job in the country" […]

Countdown to the 2021 Season

We should've beat Syracuse and ULM. Ole Miss,[…]

Game #7: Missouri

I hear there is a dog show at halftime involving F[…]

Good seats for Missouri Game

I have 3 tickets available for the Missouri Game o[…]