If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
If a person says “in other words” twice consecutively, does that mean we’re back to the same words?

Btw, I love your Bogart reference. If we are never P5, WE’LL ALWAYS HAVE the Big South. Just ROUND UP THE USUAL SUSPECTS and go play ball.
olldflame liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
If the news that’s come out on Twitter is true, I hope for the life of me IM keeps us Independent and not to some new looking CUSA or Sunbelt. If AAC is going with these schools I’m holding out hope for Independent with A-10/Big East.

Kricket liked this
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Looks like the AAC is poised to add some teams:

- FAU
- Charlotte
- Rice
- North Texas
- UAB
- UTSA

Hopefully by the end of the weekend, we'll have wins against two teams on this list. It may not get us a conference invite, but it will give us something to hang our hats on.

By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote: October 18th, 2021, 7:52 pm If the news that’s come out on Twitter is true, I hope for the life of me IM keeps us Independent and not to some new looking CUSA or Sunbelt. If AAC is going with these schools I’m holding out hope for Independent with A-10/Big East.
I second that motion.
Liberty22 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
I believe I’m in the minority here and I don’t really think it’s a realistic option because they don’t want us, we don’t really seem to fit in at all with the other schools, but I’d like the Sun Belt.
By Ill flame
I'm curious who c-usa backfills with. I'm sure they will give us an offer out of desperation which should promptly be rejected if Marshall leaves. Missouri St and jmu are popular fcs names that get thrown around but I'm not sure either school is desperate enough to join that mess.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote: October 18th, 2021, 7:53 pm Looks like the AAC is poised to add some teams:

- FAU
- Charlotte
- Rice
- North Texas
- UAB
- UTSA

Hopefully by the end of the weekend, we'll have wins against two teams on this list. It may not get us a conference invite, but it will give us something to hang our hats on.

The only way adding 6 makes sense to me is if the AAC expects to lose a few more teams to the Big 12. It does water down their conference significantly, but hey, it's their conference to ruin.

If I'm the Texas schools I'm thinking the MWC may look better at this point. We will see if this actually happens.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Also, they really didn't care about past football success in these choices. They're repeating the same mistakes that C-USA did in going for markets. I get why they're doing it, but the Sun Belt might be a legitimately better football conference in a few years with the additions the Sun Belt will make and the losses the AAC will incur.

Let's say SMU and Memphis go Big 12 and the Sun Belt grabs Marshall. With Louisiana, Coastal, App State, and Marshall in the Sun Belt, and it will be hard not to view the Sun Belt as superior in football. Recently all those schools have been as good or better than any team the AAC will have left.

Obviously C-USA will cease to exist in its current form, so they're the biggest loser, but the AAC didn't fair very well either.
Liberty22 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: October 18th, 2021, 10:57 pm I'm curious who c-usa backfills with. I'm sure they will give us an offer out of desperation which should promptly be rejected if Marshall leaves. Missouri St and jmu are popular fcs names that get thrown around but I'm not sure either school is desperate enough to join that mess.
Yeah, it isn't looking good for C-USA.

This is probably far fetched, but the rumor was we were offering 24 million to join the C-USA a few years ago. Let's say we join the C-USA and offer some of that money as a reverse entrance fee to say, Louisiana, Coastal, and App State.

Perhaps JMU would have interest in that conference too.

It would probably be the best football G5. I'm not advocating this, but just spitballing some ideas for kicks.
By Ill flame
IF the proposed 12 team CFP ends up happening I would be tempted to join this new c-usa since we would have a very clear path to the CFP. It would be a MAC level conference.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Let the record show that if the rumors of the past few days are true, Marshall could be the key. Here is what the CUSA looks like ith 8 members after the proposed losses to AAC:

FIU
Louisiana Tech
Marshall
MTSU
ODU
USM
UTEP
WKU

Speculation is that Marshall & Southern Miss are likely being invited to the Sun Belt. USM would go in a heartbeat. If Marshall were to pass then La Tech would be the obvious next choice in the Belt's footprint with natural rivals. That would leave UTEP & FIU on islands. The latter is at least an attractive island.

Speaking of islands, Marshall would be on one in the Belt. And with some leverage could potentially influence Commish Judy to bring in a regional teams like Liberty & JMU to get back to eight members. Or it could be LU & NMSU to become UTEP's travel partner. Here's what it might look like:

FIU
LIBERTY
Marshall
MTSU
ODU
UTEP
WKU
+ JMU or NMSU

Is this is a better fit for us than Indy/ASUN? We would have seven conference games in football leaving plenty of opportunity with 5 open slots to schedule P5s. Once again much to CJ's delight, Marshall is the key. If they go to the Belt, we likely see ODU join the Indy ranks with the rest of their sports parked in the once elite now slightly above mediocre CAA.
By LUOrange
I'm kinda thinking that if Marshall and USM wanted in the Belt, it would've happened. Instead, the Belt said they're going to monitor the landscape. I think that G5 realignment is far from over, and that McCaw's Mid-Atlantic remark has a lot of legs. I also think that the AAC is blowing their opportunity here to take brands vs schools in markets that they're not even 3rd or 4th fiddle in. Unless many of these schools have turned them down,as some have said that GA State has done. Ultimately we're still waiting on OK TX, and the B12.
Last edited by LUOrange on October 19th, 2021, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCS Flames Fan 31 liked this
By JCS Flames Fan 31
Been poking around different C-USA boards this morning after the BIG news broke last night. General consensus from most of their posters from the different teams left in the league is they would like to see 2 added to bring them back up to 10 after the 6 leave. With those 2 being Liberty and JMU, I know some on here don't like that but it is interesting at least to see that 10 in a conference...

Marshall
ODU
WKU
Liberty
JMU
Mid Tenn
South Miss
FIU
La Tech
UTEP

From most of their boards they don't see Marshall and Southern Miss actually leaving to go to the Sun Belt. They seem to think Marshall (as Sly suggested) is the true key here. If C-USA adds Liberty and JMU then they (being Marshall fans and Alums) want to stay in C-USA and even suggest that league may be better off than this new AAC. thoughts?
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I'd be slightly excited for a C-USA move IF they added us, Coastal, App St & Louisiana Lafeyette. Obviously moving to C-USA would benefit our other programs as well but Indy still looks better to me than the present C-USA.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Why would any FBS conference want JMU ? They bring very little to the table, other than a good softball program, and I expect softball to drop off, from previous seasons. I hate it when Liberty and JMU are mentioned together, when talking conference expansion.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
It's fine. JMU has some FCS national championships and a few wins over P5 schools. So they are fine. The New CUSA lools like a good place to be with ODU, Marshall, and JMU. Like Sly mentioned earlier...LU would still have about 5 non-conference spots to schedule for football. And hoops would have some fun home conference games. I'm liking JMU and LU to CUSA a lot! :)
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
Based on things I've read and heard, much I've read on here. I've come to believe that Liberty, Marshall, JMU and ODU have long been working together on conference realignment. I really believe that McCaw's hints and "mid-Atlantic conference" hint really has legs and could possibly be what he's been cooking. It's possible that they were just waiting to see what the AAC was offering and who they'd take before moving forward. These articles along with mcCaw's hints and discussions and JMU's football NC's hints may confirm my suspicions:

https://www.wavy.com/news/national/odu- ... e-leaving/

https://www.dailypress.com/sports/colle ... story.html

I wouldn't be surprised to see Temple, UMass, NMSU, and some SBC chools tag along. CUSA and us may actually come out on top here. I don't think that the SBC and the neww AAC are that stable.
By BuryYourDuke
Registration Days Posts
I seriously doubt Temple would have any part of a conference that we were a member of.
JK37 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote: October 19th, 2021, 8:01 pm I seriously doubt Temple would have any part of a conference that we were a member of.
The way I see it, most schools wouldn't vote us in because they would have to justify their vote, but the amount of heat they would get by joining a conference we are already in is significantly lower as it wouldn't be a direct vote for us.

That being said, you may be completely right Temple wouldn't even join a conference with us, but I have a little more difficulty believing that. I 100% believe they wouldn't vote us in their conference. My two cents.
LUOrange liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]