Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Tnobes
Ill flame wrote: October 17th, 2021, 12:08 am This is a tough loss to take but at least it nearly guarantees another year of HF in charge of this program. This team has come out flat a few times this season and unfortunately we aren't in a position to out talent most teams yet considering the amount of FCS players we still have on the roster.

We are still looking at a 8+ win season, another bowl game and a better recruiting class coming in than outgoing. There's good reason to be disappointed by this loss but the sky isn't falling.
8 wins is crap
By LUOrange
Tnobes wrote: October 17th, 2021, 12:30 am
Touchdownmaker wrote: October 16th, 2021, 10:36 pm I’m sorry…..I drank the Kool-aid…..I thought we were better. To get beat as a 34pt favorite is an embarrassment.
Golden Child is overrated and we as a team were overrated as well.
Agree. The Syracuse loss was unbelievable, should never lose to a bottom dweller like Syracuse, this loss was just as embarrassing. Season is over for all intensive purposes
WOW.
By tyndal23
Tnobes wrote: October 17th, 2021, 12:38 am
Ill flame wrote: October 17th, 2021, 12:08 am This is a tough loss to take but at least it nearly guarantees another year of HF in charge of this program. This team has come out flat a few times this season and unfortunately we aren't in a position to out talent most teams yet considering the amount of FCS players we still have on the roster.

We are still looking at a 8+ win season, another bowl game and a better recruiting class coming in than outgoing. There's good reason to be disappointed by this loss but the sky isn't falling.
8 wins is crap
Do you realize who wasn’t on the field tonight and who we have left to play? Better yet, how many FBS teams would kill for an 8 win season? I am the guy hammering for 6-8 P5 games a year - but crucially ignored is the coaching, recruiting, analyst budget it takes to go along with it. We jumped leap years in recognition last year, but reality is reality.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
A man goes to Cabo for a week and all he ll breaks loose
rtb72 liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Most of the time our wrs can’t get open, minus Douglas but the times they do he’s been missing either over, under throwing or staring down a covered receiver. Add that he struggles passing in the middle of the field. Monroe gave him that all game. He’s been looking like the old Auburn version of himself.

We desperately need a big body receiver because Frith can’t get open or make those catches that the big receivers are expected to make.
stokesjokes liked this
By Tnobes
tyndal23 wrote: October 17th, 2021, 12:48 am

8 wins is crap
Do you realize who wasn’t on the field tonight and who we have left to play? Better yet, how many FBS teams would kill for an 8 win season? I am the guy hammering for 6-8 P5 games a year - but crucially ignored is the coaching, recruiting, analyst budget it takes to go along with it. We jumped leap years in recognition last year, but reality is reality.
I'm also a Minnesota gopher fan and an 8 win season in the big 10 is a wasted season.
By Ill flame
Tnobes wrote: October 17th, 2021, 1:16 am
tyndal23 wrote: October 17th, 2021, 12:48 am

8 wins is crap
I'm also a Minnesota gopher fan and an 8 win season in the big 10 is a wasted season.
That's just not true unless your an Ohio St fan. As an Illinois fan an 8 win season would be more exciting than going to the sweet 16 in basketball. Even most Minnesota fans would be happy with consistently having 8 win seasons considering you guys have only had six 8+ win seasons over the last 20 years. I don't understand where your head is on this.
LUOrange, rtb72 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
You’re assuming his head is in this at all. It’s postgame emotion, all heart, no head. And that’s ok for all “intensive purposes.”

Tyndal said it best: Let the mob mob.

Racenut, I love you. And I agree 1000%. And I coached for 15 years. And I don’t miss it one iota. Just hard for a lot of fans to be unemotional in the first 24 hours. Give it another 72, then things should be fine.

I’m just glad I had the Braves tonight. That’s where my emotions were invested. By 2Q, I was flipping to the LU game on commercials. But LU looked uninspired from the kickoff. Played very melancholy, Ho-hum, emotionless football. It happens. I’ve seen it time and time again when preseason expectations meet mid season reality. Even at Syracuse we played with fire in our step. This is a lesson every program has to learn: cannot take the major underdogs lightly.
Kricket, flamehunter liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Coach's show will be interesting ... hear what Freeze says after he's had time to analyze what happened.

Not scoring any points after the blocked kick was devastating. Our performance inside the 5 yardline has been pathetic for a while. I keep telling myself we're holding back some of the play book down there for a big game.

We had a 3 quarter melt down, everywhere. ULM staff is the first to make better halftime adjustments than ours.

We have to beat Army and Cajuns to feel good about the season. I watched the Cajuns the other night, they are the same fast/quick team that beat us last time we met. Thank goodness both are home games.

The performance last night will not beat North Texas on the road. Now a must win.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: October 17th, 2021, 1:11 am Most of the time our wrs can’t get open, minus Douglas but the times they do he’s been missing either over, under throwing or staring down a covered receiver. Add that he struggles passing in the middle of the field. Monroe gave him that all game. He’s been looking like the old Auburn version of himself.

We desperately need a big body receiver because Frith can’t get open or make those catches that the big receivers are expected to make.
It makes me wonder why we don’t get our TEs involved more. Is it because Willis has trouble in the middle of the field? The TE problem has baffled me and it goes back to the Gill era. We never seem to use our TEs in the passing game.

There were also a couple of times the D-line came through unblocked and I got excited that we were throwing an RB screen… only to realize the o-line had just missed the blocks. We could get huge chunks with Shedro on RB screens, and it would also help slow down the d-line if they knew it was a threat. I know I’m not a top-level cfb coach and maybe they have reasons for not doing these things, but they seem like obvious ways to open up our offense to me.
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
My 6 year old son struggles with crying or getting super upset when he loses, because he's so competitive. It's a skill he's still learning. At the same time he's the hardest working 6 year old I've ever seen, and his competitiveness drives that. Obviously I appreciate his work ethic, but not the crying or getting overly upset part. He needs to learn how to still want to win badly, but regulate his emotions quickly if/when he loses. It's a tough skill to master, and I'm not willing to sacrifice effort for him to become a gracious loser. I want to have my cake and eat it too. So if anyone has advice on that, let me know (seriously). Still trying to figure that one out.

My point in saying that is we all put emotional energy into rooting for a team, so it seems odd to not get upset after a loss and do the adult version of crying. The positives are usually tied to the negatives. We just need to regulate ourselves the best we can to appreciate the wins and shake off the losses and that looks different for everyone. It is what it is. On to the next.

Go Flames!
Liberty22 liked this
By LU 57
Racenut wrote: October 16th, 2021, 11:49 pm A lot of harsh talk from supposed "Fans" tonight. Most that I don't hear anything from during the week. There's always a bunch of "Beer Bryant" know-it-all coaches who have all the answers after the fact. Most probably have never even coached a powder puff team. This Coach is 23-8 at a new FBS program in the middle-of-nowhere Virginia and he has led us to the greatest victories in program history, but I'm sure we would be better if they listened to you. Give us a break. Our Coach and our "Golden Child" QB has represented this University with great skill on the field and great grace and humility at every interview and appearance that I have witnessed. Maybe you should consider what you're saying before you hit the send key. I've seen losers like you run great coaches and recruits away from a program, but I'm sure you never thought of that.
By this time of year, some starters are hurt,(they were the best players, that's why they were starting) some players are playing with injuries that you don't know about, and guess what, that other team has been trying to prepare and win just like us. Losing three games in two seasons by less than 10 total points is pretty good by any standard. Perhaps you should work your way up through the coaching ranks and accomplish something before you pronounce judgement on a team and coaches that you supposedly support.
Whoa! Funny, you assume all of us who ask questions are losers :lol:

I played the game and still coach.

A message board without differing opinions is not worth participating in. That said, some guys took it too far with the negativity.

I said basically 3 things:

Intra-game I said TJ Green should start, not particularly controversial in my mind.

The OL is getting blown up. At the moment I said it , they were.

I was dismayed that I could not see if the receivers were getting open.

No one here is calling for any coaches’ heads. Everyone knows we are extremely blessed to have the staff and player talent HCHF brought in.

Let people be a little frustrated and ask questions. HCHF is not going to leave because of a rant on ASOR.

All that said, again I agree things got a little too negative from a few posters.
Dalegarz1 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: October 17th, 2021, 7:55 am My 6 year old son struggles with crying or getting super upset when he loses, because he's so competitive. It's a skill he's still learning. At the same time he's the hardest working 6 year old I've ever seen, and his competitiveness drives that. Obviously I appreciate his work ethic, but not the crying or getting overly upset part. He needs to learn how to still want to win badly, but regulate his emotions quickly if/when he loses. It's a tough skill to master, and I'm not willing to sacrifice effort for him to become a gracious loser. I want to have my cake and eat it too. So if anyone has advice on that, let me know (seriously). Still trying to figure that one out.

My point in saying that is we all put emotional energy into rooting for a team, so it seems odd to not get upset after a loss and do the adult version of crying. The positives are usually tied to the negatives. We just need to regulate ourselves the best we can to appreciate the wins and shake off the losses and that looks different for everyone. It is what it is. On to the next.

Go Flames!
My 6 year old also hates losing so much he cries, but I’ve got the opposite problem as you- he quits or doesn’t want to do things where he might lose. No suggestion, but I feel ya.
Kricket liked this
By LU 57
LibertyMan wrote: October 16th, 2021, 10:58 pm
flameshaw wrote: October 16th, 2021, 8:43 pm
LU 57 wrote: October 16th, 2021, 8:04 pm I know everyone has said it already, but I find myself yelling at the TV every week, “Put Green in!!”

I like Mack and I am happy he has progressed as a man and a player….but he should not be the starter.
Yes, given the number of plays, Green is obviously the best back we have. More opportunities will produce better results.
Don't understand putting Louis in, in goal line situations. He is waaaaaaay too easy to tackle.
I said it last week, it looks to me that MW, has slowed a step or two. Not sure he is 100%. Still a great performer.
I don't why you're hating on Mack. It doesn't matter who starts the game, the offense is all about Willis. The run game has become a non-factor for the coaching staff this season. Willis is a one-man show and you can't win consistently with that. He has NO concept of dumping the ball off to the backs. Both interceptions Mack and Luis were WIDE OPEN, but Willis chose to force the ball into coverage down filed. All three backs combined had 28 carries and Willis had 23. Instead of you guys worrying about who is the obvious" best RB" I would be more concerned with why we just lost to one of the worst teams in the country. I guess that was because Mack started the game off? Oh yeah, that's why we lost...Give me a break!
No hate here, just would like to see what TJ can do with more touches.

You obviously have inside knowledge. I have never been a RB, but have coached a few. Guess I just prefer more of a one cut and go approach.

Totally agree that team was not ready to play.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Interesting to me that when we have a bad loss, which most every team in CFB has, ie. Iowa vs Purdue, etc. that people I’ve never seen post before appear and start throwing around the most hateful rhetoric. Why anyone would come on here and bash MW is beyond me. He’s had a rough stretch, but he’s our “golden child” because he gives 100% to this team, University, and from the looks of it, to God. I’m sorry you’re disappointed, although I have my suspicions on that. I would hope you get more grace from your failures at work or life than you extend to the teams that come out and represent us and by all accounts, represent us extremely well.
Kricket, LUOrange, Ill flame liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It's a tough loss for sure. The guys in the zebra shirts kept UML in it early on. But the game slipping away ultimately falls on the shoulders of this team. Also, give UML credit. They played a great game. They prepared well and had an outstanding game plan.

Trashing Malik is absurd. At times, they rushed 6 and not a single receiver could find separation in man coverage. Other times they rushed only 3 or 4 and forced Malik to throw into disguised coverages. There were other times when Malik had better options but tried to force the big play. He'll learn. He's got a good mentor in Austin. MW running the ball 23 times like a RB is not what you want in a game like this. Lastly, Douglas can't be covered one on one. He and Malik are always on the same page. Opposing Ds have to account for that. We need him in there healthy.
LU 57, Kricket, LUOrange liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote: October 17th, 2021, 8:40 am Interesting to me that when we have a bad loss, which most every team in CFB has, ie. Iowa vs Purdue, etc. that people I’ve never seen post before appear and start throwing around the most hateful rhetoric. Why anyone would come on here and bash MW is beyond me. He’s had a rough stretch, but he’s our “golden child” because he gives 100% to this team, University, and from the looks of it, to God. I’m sorry you’re disappointed, although I have my suspicions on that. I would hope you get more grace from your failures at work or life than you extend to the teams that come out and represent us and by all accounts, represent us extremely well.
Yeah, the Malik stuff is the most cringey to me. Calling him the golden child in jest. I don't mind questioning strategy and stuff. That's normal. But I don't think Malik is putting anything but 100% effort in. Oh, and he's still very good. No reason to rip the kid.
ballcoach15, Liberty22, LUOrange and 2 others liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 17th, 2021, 8:25 am My 6 year old also hates losing so much he cries, but I’ve got the opposite problem as you- he quits or doesn’t want to do things where he might lose. No suggestion, but I feel ya.
Yeah, it's interesting how kids have different personalities. My daughter couldn't care less about trying at anything. I think it's probably similar to your son in the fact that trying means you could lose. Parenting can be tough, but the most rewarding thing in the world at the same time. I wish you the best of luck with yours!
stokesjokes liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
GoLU_13_21 wrote: October 17th, 2021, 11:19 am Did we have many starters out yesterday?? :dontgetit
11 players total, and several were either starters or key rotation players. I think Damario was missed the most. He is by far the best we have at getting separation on a consistent basis. We certainly missed Durrell Johnson as well, and I also think Kevin Shaa left the game at some point.

That really does not excuse or explain the loss. Way too many mistakes, and IMHO HF had by far his worst game as a coach at Liberty. For one thing, when we got near the goal line he seemed to forgot that we have passes in the playbook.
By rtb72

8 wins is crap
No.....no it's not. That's a solid record for LU this year.
Dalegarz1, jimflamesfan liked this
By willflop
My opinions:

The notion that the team didn't take them seriously or "come to play" is misleading, IMO. Whatever happens to people psychologically, so called "momentum", or "the shanks" (Tin Cup reference), can truly be a mystery. It's not something we can always control. It can happen to us against our best intentions, and it can be palpable. I think this loss is more a study of sports psychology than talent or physical preparation.

The Mack vs. Green debate, I don't know who's better or not. What I do seem to notice, however, is that Green and even Louis get the benefit of the setup that occurs with Mack or the offense as a whole. Like Green's run up the sideline last night from an option pitch. He ran well but everything was set up for him.

We probably have more parity with the ULMs of FBS than we want to recognize. Give them a talented coaching staff and their week to week improvement can be much higher than expected (what the spread would indicate), which is why I think Liberty has crushed the spread the last two years. It's possible they experience the same thing, relative to whatever they are capable of.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
We're at the point in the season where everyone is nursing some kind of injury. Quite a few players were held out of this game. To say we were ill-prepared and took them lightly is an understatement. That's self-inflicted. I'm pretty sure Freeze has already owned it. Much different mindset going into UNT match-up. All hands on deck. Douglas is the only one you have to be careful with. Probably best to hold him out.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]