If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By tyndal23
Kricket wrote: October 14th, 2021, 9:31 pm I guess my thought is, if the Big East wanted us, we would have been in discussions with them prior to this round of realignment.

Nothing has happened to make us more attractive to the Big East besides basketball sustaining success, which is good but not amazing. Not amazing enough to make them add us now.

The AAC being weakened seemed to trigger this comment. Wichita, or even Temple, are certainly in a much worse basketball conference than just a few weeks ago. They may be attracted to the Big East. Both AAC teams, so that doesn't help us get a Olympic sports invite.
[/quote

If Ian wants us there, upfront $ and deferred tv $ - we can push back both of those schools. All comes down to if he is serious about LU football Indy next decade.
By Ill flame
Apparently I'm higher on the A-10 than most people here. They were the 9th ranked basketball conference in NET last year with 6 teams in the top 100. We were the only team in the 28th ranked A Sun in the top 100. For perspective, AAC was ranked 7th, C-usa was ranked 14th and sunbelt was 18th.

In baseball (not that it matters but I like baseball) A-10 was ranked 21 in RPI while the ASUN was 22nd (including 35 ranked liberty).

I think the A10 would significantly raise our basketball profile and recruiting without hurting our other sports. Plus it's usually a 3 bid conference so we would have a legit chance for an at large bid without having to go undefeated.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:15 am
Ill flame wrote: October 15th, 2021, 3:13 am the A10 would significantly raise our basketball profile and recruiting without hurting our other sports.
ASOR is no place for logic.
Where is anyone saying they wouldn't view the A10 as an upgrade? Outside of ballcoach, who is mainly concerned about softball, I have seen about 7 posters say they would love to join the A10 against practically no dissent.

Here are the 7 off the top of my head who said they'd by happy with the A10 without even going back to look at this thread too far.

oldflame
Ill flame
myself
Atrain
Stokesjokes
LUOrange
You, I assume

I tell my young children to not be the kid who tries to make themselves feel better by putting others down. Peeing in someone else's lawn doesn't make yours any greener. It's good advice for anyone, really.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Liberty does not belong in a northern based conference, (A10 or Big East). We should remain focused on the south and southeastern geographical region of the country. We need to get ALL SPORTS into one conference.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
@Kricket you acknowledged my agreement with you, and yet I still think you misunderstood me. That’s … impressive!

My comment was a commentary on this board.

Your thoughts on the A10 are very logical, making the A10 desirable from LU’s POV. As such, you are wise, and hopefully a prognosticator of things to come for the athletic pursuits of our esteemed institution of higher learning.

Feel better?
flamehunter liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Aresco instead pointed to a new model. Instead of bringing in established schools, he believes the conference can survive by bringing in lesser schools and raising their profile once they are in the conference.

“I think what is sometimes overlooked is what the American Athletic Conference has done in elevating programs that may not have been at the level they’re at now,” Aresco said. “In terms of the conference, our goals and vision have not changed. I think once we reconstitute we’re going to continue our approach. As in trying to become an autonomous six conference.”

https://www.smudailycampus.com/sports/a ... conference
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: October 15th, 2021, 8:49 am @Kricket you acknowledged my agreement with you, and yet I still think you misunderstood me. That’s … impressive!

Your thoughts on the A10 are very logical, making the A10 desirable from LU’s POV. As such, you are wise, and hopefully a prognosticator of things to come for the athletic pursuits of our esteemed institution of higher learning.

Feel better?
I get that your commentary was commentary on this board. Also, I didn't take it to be directed at me personally. My point is that it seems out of place to randomly say most posters on this board are not logical directly after most posters posted opinions that agreed with your logic.

If you think someone is making an illogical argument, tell them. Randomly saying it about the board in general, doesn't seem to help. It's like blaring your car horn in an intersection for no apparent reason, and expecting all the cars around you to know that it isn't directed at any of them. They're all still going to wonder, who the heck is this guy beeping at?
Liberty22 liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: October 15th, 2021, 8:49 am @Kricket you acknowledged my agreement with you, and yet I still think you misunderstood me. That’s … impressive!

Feel better?
Maybe Kricket didn't appreciate your explanation (which was really unnecessary), but I got the warm and fuzzies.
JK37 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:15 am Aresco instead pointed to a new model. Instead of bringing in established schools, he believes the conference can survive by bringing in lesser schools and raising their profile once they are in the conference.

That's the first Aresco statment that cracks the door for someone like us.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:26 am

Feel better?
I get that your commentary was commentary on this board. Also, I didn't take it to be directed at me personally. My point is that it seems out of place to randomly say most posters on this board are not logical directly after most posters posted opinions that agreed with your logic.

If you think someone is making an illogical argument, tell them. Randomly saying it about the board in general, doesn't seem to help. It's like blaring your car horn in an intersection for no apparent reason, and expecting all the cars around you to know that it isn't directed at any of them. They're all still going to wonder, who the heck is this guy beeping at?
It wasn’t random. And you knew at whom I was beeping:
Kricket wrote: October 15th, 2021, 7:49 am Outside of ballcoach…
What do you really think we are accomplishing here? Outside of occasional prayer requests, who or what are we helping?
By Ill flame
TH Spangler wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:15 am Aresco instead pointed to a new model. Instead of bringing in established schools, he believes the conference can survive by bringing in lesser schools and raising their profile once they are in the conference.

“I think what is sometimes overlooked is what the American Athletic Conference has done in elevating programs that may not have been at the level they’re at now,” Aresco said. “In terms of the conference, our goals and vision have not changed. I think once we reconstitute we’re going to continue our approach. As in trying to become an autonomous six conference.”

This approach just makes sense to me. It's important to balance adding established brands and upside. Especially if they are keeping the P6 branding. I do think they should get to 12 teams eventually but they should add 2 teams now, announce that they aren't done expanding and watch for a few years and see how realignment and certainly schools develop. The longer they wait makes them looks like they aren't in control and less desirable. This gives them stability in short term and leverage in the long term.

UAB and Liberty seems like great fits for the first 2 schools since they are a good combination of competitiveness, established brands and upside. UTSA, Georgia St and FAU among others could be good additions but why take big risks now when it may be obvious who should be added in a few years? What are some downsides to this approach?
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: October 16th, 2021, 12:02 am It wasn’t random. And you knew at whom I was beeping:
Kricket wrote: October 15th, 2021, 7:49 am Outside of ballcoach…
What do you really think we are accomplishing here? Outside of occasional prayer requests, who or what are we helping?
Ok, I guess I'm realizing your comment was more flippant than anything and you give ballcoach much more thought than I realized, as he seems to represent the entire board. That is what it is. We're going to have to agree to disagree if the timing made sense. It's not overly serious.

I think the point of this board is for passing along information, debating, and entertainment mostly. It can help grow a fan base and in turn grow the mission of the University. Hopefully that stays a Christian mission. Liberty's Christian mission is literally the reason I watch Liberty sports, because I think it's a great marketing tool we all should be trying to support. This board is a great way to do that.

How we conduct ourselves can help or hurt that, so in a sense we are always either helping or hurting something in a small way. How we talk in this board, can represent Christ, whether it's intended to or not. It's not just when we pray. I think we agree on that, although I'm starting to stray pretty far from realignment, for which I apologize.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
If it helps, I'd love an A10 invite for all sports if we decide to stay Indy. It seems to me that is a pretty well regarded opinion on here. Other then BC who just cares about softball and staying in the south because his bones can't get too cold :lol:
Liberty22, LUOrange, ATrain liked this
By tyndal23
Big 12 adding teams. They are the only P5 to overlook religious angle. If I am Ian, I am meeting with board and donors to buy our way in now - this is last chance for a long time most likely. If they are looking at Boise St type teams to add, LU can leap frog with a big $ buy in.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Liberty is fastest growing athletic program in the NCAA. Most schools that are mentioned along with us, pertaining to conference expansion, have peaked at whatever they are now. Even though football drives the train, conferences should look at all sports. This is where Liberty has an advantage over most, if not every other G5 school.

If Liberty were to join A10 or Little East, our growth would be stunted.
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:10 pm Big 12 adding teams. They are the only P5 to overlook religious angle. If I am Ian, I am meeting with board and donors to buy our way in now - this is last chance for a long time most likely. If they are looking at Boise St type teams to add, LU can leap frog with a big $ buy in.
I do think that the big 12 would be willing to overlook some things about liberty. I don't think they can or should overlook the fact that our fanbase is half the size of their current schools at the moment. Liberty is a great "project" for the conference like the AAC that has P6 aspirations but we are not a good fit for a P5 conference yet.

While I do think Memphis to the big 12 is likely, I don't think Boise st will be added. It's too big of a geographic outlier without much upside. I think USF makes the most sense to be added due to the fanbase, budget and market.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: October 16th, 2021, 3:00 pm
tyndal23 wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:10 pm Big 12 adding teams. They are the only P5 to overlook religious angle. If I am Ian, I am meeting with board and donors to buy our way in now - this is last chance for a long time most likely. If they are looking at Boise St type teams to add, LU can leap frog with a big $ buy in.
I do think that the big 12 would be willing to overlook some things about liberty. I don't think they can or should overlook the fact that our fanbase is half the size of their current schools at the moment. Liberty is a great "project" for the conference like the AAC that has P6 aspirations but we are not a good fit for a P5 conference yet.

While I do think Memphis to the big 12 is likely, I don't think Boise st will be added. It's too big of a geographic outlier without much upside. I think USF makes the most sense to be added due to the fanbase, budget and market.
Of course we aren’t ready yet based on fan base and tv eyeballs, hence the 9 figure buy in - which is what it all comes down to. $ is more of a premium for Big 12 than any other P5 conference. If we put$2 million per school per year for 4 years while taking no revenue - that shoots LU right up the list. As for Boise St - they have more tv eyeballs than Cincinnati or Houston. USF sucks in all aspects. Of course a deal like that would have to have clauses that protect/adjust if top remaining “original” teams bail like OSU and ISU - but $ is driving this thing and we have $...
By cruzan_flame13
tyndal23 wrote: October 16th, 2021, 4:52 pm

Of course we aren’t ready yet based on fan base and tv eyeballs, hence the 9 figure buy in - which is what it all comes down to. $ is more of a premium for Big 12 than any other P5 conference. If we put$2 million per school per year for 4 years while taking no revenue - that shoots LU right up the list. As for Boise St - they have more tv eyeballs than Cincinnati or Houston. USF sucks in all aspects. Of course a deal like that would have to have clauses that protect/adjust if top remaining “original” teams bail like OSU and ISU - but $ is driving this thing and we have $...
It's funny that you mentioned this because this is the same scenario Coach Dot mentioned on Flames Central Podcast about going ACC. She understands that football [with its sports brother of basketball] is on top. At times you have to lose some to gain more later on. That's a lot of faith and commitment to make an offer like that and that is what Liberty is all about. I'm not promising that it will occur, but I wouldn't be surprised either. In a sense if that actually worked, I don't think it will take long for the growth to occur for athletic and fan support. I mean we are getting pretty good media spotlight as an independent plus for a program that's only FBS for 3-4 years. Imagine if it comes to light that Liberty joins the Big 12. It would be talked about for a long period of time, good or bad responses. Publicity would go crazy and more Alumni and family members would join the bandwagon. Even some Tech fans who are tired of the brutal makeup that's occurring in Blacksburg :lol:. This could all just be crazy talk, but craziness makes good business when it comes to sports.
ballcoach15 liked this
By tyndal23
cruzan_flame13 wrote: October 16th, 2021, 5:16 pm
tyndal23 wrote: October 16th, 2021, 4:52 pm

It's funny that you mentioned this because this is the same scenario Coach Dot mentioned on Flames Central Podcast about going ACC. She understands that football [with its sports brother of basketball] is on top. At times you have to lose some to gain more later on. That's a lot of faith and commitment to make an offer like that and that is what Liberty is all about. I'm not promising that it will occur, but I wouldn't be surprised either. In a sense if that actually worked, I don't think it will take long for the growth to occur for athletic and fan support. I mean we are getting pretty good media spotlight as an independent plus for a program that's only FBS for 3-4 years. Imagine if it comes to light that Liberty joins the Big 12. It would be talked about for a long period of time, good or bad responses. Publicity would go crazy and more Alumni and family members would join the bandwagon. Even some Tech fans who are tired of the brutal makeup that's occurring in Blacksburg :lol:. This could all just be crazy talk, but craziness makes good business when it comes to sports.
Not trying to be funny at all. If you followed my posts since 2017, this board has steered me away from any P5 invite due to Presidents votes, ( I originally said buy In to any P5 preferably ACC no matter the cost ) and avoid G5 at any cost. The board weighed in and verified that ACC would never invite us regardless of up front cash due to politics and academia / presidents votes. That is when I went on my crusade foe P5 “ equivalent “ to get accepted by ACC and possibly Big 12 and then Big 10 to “count” as a P5 game for their scheduling requirements as an Independent. Since the proposed but not adapted 12 Team Playoff has been introduced, ( I changed to - ok let’s get in to a conference ) then realignment happened and 12 team play off put on hold - I reverted to - “ buy in to Big 12” based on their desperation, loss of revenue, and forward looking potential view of the world. In other words - In other words, I am Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca -just playing both sides and trying to come out righteous.
aredd33 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]