This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
stokesjokes wrote: September 24th, 2021, 3:50 pm It’s not though.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factche ... SL1N2OZ14F

The weird thing about conspiracy thought is that it’s based on this ultimate skepticism of authority, popular narrative, and generally accepted information, but also, at the same time, it’s based on an uncritical acceptance of a different set of authorities, narratives, and information.
Reuters...haha okay :lol:
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Reuters isn't MSNBC.
Purple Haize liked this
By puttincomputers
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: September 24th, 2021, 4:01 pm
Oh.... So you are that propagandized. Have you followed the money on who is spewing forth the foolish talk you have fallen for? I think you would do well to ask some serious questions. Some youtubers recently came out with evidence showing they were approached by a mysterious organization and were told they would be paid if they pushed anti-vax nonsense. As soon as the youtuber's exposed the shenanigans, the websites and fake news stories that were supposed support the organization's claims disappeared. Where did the shadowy organization get the money and why did they disappear after being exposed?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like an anti-vax plot against the pro-vax position. Take heed, dear bothers, lest we succumb to their devices.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
puttincomputers wrote: September 24th, 2021, 8:13 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: September 24th, 2021, 4:01 pm
Oh.... So you are that propagandized. Have you followed the money on who is spewing forth the foolish talk you have fallen for? I think you would do well to ask some serious questions. Some youtubers recently came out with evidence showing they were approached by a mysterious organization and were told they would be paid if they pushed anti-vax nonsense. As soon as the youtuber's exposed the shenanigans, the websites and fake news stories that were supposed support the organization's claims disappeared. Where did the shadowy organization get the money and why did they disappear after being exposed?
How about you tell us who the money is coming from? Posts like this fuel the conspiracy narrative on both sides.
Purple Haize liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Our focus needs to be on treatments. My cousin (PhD researcher @ UNC) says treatment options have gotten better, but there is still a lot of unknown. They need to be doing more genetic analysis to determine how individuals will respond before they get sick.
badger74 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: September 25th, 2021, 12:09 pm Our focus needs to be on treatments. My cousin (PhD researcher @ UNC) says treatment options have gotten better, but there is still a lot of unknown. They need to be doing more genetic analysis to determine how individuals will respond before they get sick.
This. Right here. There has been a sorely lacking hole in our “battle” against Rona. And that’s therapeutics. We need a pretty solid, standard and proven treatment regimen for those who catch it. Fortunately MOST places have gone away from rushed intubation but there really is no treatment that’s the Standard of Care. That’s not an Anti Vax position, it’s a realistic position. These Vaccines have proven they leak every bit as much as traditional flu vaccines. So vaxxed or not, you can get the Rona, which means we need (and have needed to) focus on what we do when that happens
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: September 25th, 2021, 2:07 pm
TH Spangler wrote: September 25th, 2021, 12:09 pm Our focus needs to be on treatments. My cousin (PhD researcher @ UNC) says treatment options have gotten better, but there is still a lot of unknown. They need to be doing more genetic analysis to determine how individuals will respond before they get sick.
This. Right here. There has been a sorely lacking hole in our “battle” against Rona. And that’s therapeutics. We need a pretty solid, standard and proven treatment regimen for those who catch it. Fortunately MOST places have gone away from rushed intubation but there really is no treatment that’s the Standard of Care. That’s not an Anti Vax position, it’s a realistic position. These Vaccines have proven they leak every bit as much as traditional flu vaccines. So vaxxed or not, you can get the Rona, which means we need (and have needed to) focus on what we do when that happens
I agree somewhat with this. There has been ongoing trials for different treatments but a lot of money and resources were going towards a vaccine and now it appears that has shifted to treatments. It could be argued that should've been flipped but it wasn't and the vaccine is doing a good job preventing serious breakthrough cases.

With that said, I did see this this morning. It'll be interesting to see where it goes. I hope more focus on treatments continue to happen. They clearly are needed. A simple pill like this could go a long way. We shall see.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... d_nn_fb_ma
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
If the vaccine cannot prevent contraction, but it does reduce the severity of symptoms - all of which sounds fine by me - then why should vaccination be required for those at minimal risk?

In other words, since the vaccine can’t keep a person from contracting COVID, and so it can’t keep them from spreading it, is it necessary for those who themselves are low risk?
Purple Haize liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Requirements are complicated ethically, but it’s a question of individual health vs public health. From an individual health perspective, there’s not a lot to be gained for certain populations to get the vax, especially college age or younger with no pre-existing conditions.

From a public health perspective, the goal is to reduce R naught (don’t know how to type the subscript). R naught is the expected number of people someone with the virus will transmit it to. Being healthy and young doesn’t change how many people you are at risk of spreading it to once you have it. Much has been made of breakthrough infections, but the fact is that the vaccine does reduce your chance of catching it if you are exposed. It isn’t totally effective and may be less effective than we would like, but you’re still about 5x less likely to catch it if you’re vaccinated. The more people are vaccinated, the lower R naught, and if we lower R naught enough, we no longer have these outbreaks that have been straining the hospital system.

They’ve tried to get to enough people vaccinated to get to that point, but haven’t been able to get there without requirements as of yet, and they’ve pulled out some ridiculous incentives- my brother won a giant TV for getting his :lol:

So now the question is: is it ethical to enforce requirements to get there or do we keep letting these outbreaks happen among the unvaccinated that are having burdening effects on healthcare systems and communities.

Tough to say, but wouldn’t be an issue if enough people would just do it voluntarily.
By willflop
I'm no longer buying it helps stop the spread. Our Labor Day case numbers are tripled from same time last year. There's randomness in year over year improvement from other highly vaxed countries, indicating it's not a very predictive factor. I'm a scientific idiot, so I don't put much weight into my opinions, but something really doesn't seem right with the numbers.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
The confounding variable here is Delta, which 2x more contagious than what we were looking at last year.

The highest estimates for R naught for Covid last year was just under 4. Delta is as high as 9.
By willflop
Isn't that the point though? In principle, is the corona virus even "vaxable" given it's high mutation rate? The de facto evidence that it is not is what I'm considering.
Purple Haize liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Maybe not vaxable in the sense of eliminating infection risk completely, but it is effective in mitigation. The 5x reduced infection rate for vaxxed people is current, meaning it applies to current infections, which are almost exclusively delta. That number was higher pre-delta.

Now, this isn’t to say that vaccines are a magic bullet, but for now they are our best available tool. We might still be seeing high numbers because of delta, but they’d be crazy out of control if we didn’t have the vaccines.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: September 26th, 2021, 4:45 pm Maybe not vaxable in the sense of eliminating infection risk completely, but it is effective in mitigation. The 5x reduced infection rate for vaxxed people is current, meaning it applies to current infections, which are almost exclusively delta. That number was higher pre-delta.

Now, this isn’t to say that vaccines are a magic bullet, but for now they are our best available tool. We might still be seeing high numbers because of delta, but they’d be crazy out of control if we didn’t have the vaccines.
Natural immunity post infection is pretty effective
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
That’s an interesting wrinkle that I don’t know enough about to speak to. Obviously we’ll have a lot more clarity in hindsight, but we’ve got to do the best we can with the info we have now. Of course that means different things to different people.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: September 26th, 2021, 5:02 pm
stokesjokes wrote: September 26th, 2021, 4:45 pm Maybe not vaxable in the sense of eliminating infection risk completely, but it is effective in mitigation. The 5x reduced infection rate for vaxxed people is current, meaning it applies to current infections, which are almost exclusively delta. That number was higher pre-delta.

It is, but infection also carries a high risk of transmission, which is where the public health side comes in. If you could just isolate healthy people, give them Covid and let them ride it out for a few weeks without being around people that would be great, but that just sounds like a vaccine with extra steps.

What might end up being the actual magic bullet is an actual attenuated virus vaccine, not just spike protein. That’s gonna be a long way off, though.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: September 26th, 2021, 7:12 pm
Purple Haize wrote: September 26th, 2021, 5:02 pm

It is, but infection also carries a high risk of transmission, which is where the public health side comes in. If you could just isolate healthy people, give them Covid and let them ride it out for a few weeks without being around people that would be great, but that just sounds like a vaccine with extra steps.

What might end up being the actual magic bullet is an actual attenuated virus vaccine, not just spike protein. That’s gonna be a long way off, though.
Or…you could just let people lead their lives, take precautions around situations they feel vulnerable and have both vaccines and therapeutics available for all
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I mean, it seems like that’s what we tried to do and then our hospitals started getting overrun again.

It might work if y’all would just behave :lol:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Just before Labor Day, 3 people in my LU office tested positive for Covid (plus my wife who is retired).

Only my wife and I were NOT vaccinated, and both of us spent about a WEEK in the hospital. In a month or so, we both will be getting the shot. We've learned our lesson and are Covid survivors--thank God.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: September 26th, 2021, 8:40 pm I mean, it seems like that’s what we tried to do and then our hospitals started getting overrun again.

It might work if y’all would just behave :lol:
If people didn’t treat the ER like a Primary Care office that would help
If Rona patients could get therapeutics from their Primary Care physicians they’d have a quantitatively better chance of staying out of the hospital
If hospitals didn’t have staffing issues there wouldn’t be this many problems
The threat of hospital systems collapsing has been shouted for the last 18 months. Instead what we’ve seen is triage tents set up that are t used. Hospital ships deployed but not used. Mobile medical centers assembled to handle an influx of patients that never actually materialize
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: September 26th, 2021, 9:41 pm Just before Labor Day, 3 people in my LU office tested positive for Covid (plus my wife who is retired).

Only my wife and I were NOT vaccinated, and both of us spent about a WEEK in the hospital. In a month or so, we both will be getting the shot. We've learned our lesson and are Covid survivors--thank God.
You realize far far more people are “Covid Survivors” than Covid fatalities, right?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]