This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
#631951
It’s far less than 7% of those who have been vaccinated. Which is practically all teachers since it’s required in a lot of places. But even if it’s not, an adult teacher can get vaxed and lower their hospitalization rate even in the event of contraction well below 7%. My children can’t get vaxxed. The pressure doesn’t belong on my kid. I’m not going to put it on my kid.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#631954
I hear you, and I would have agreed with you this summer. The vaccine has been available for anyone who wants it, so if someone doesn’t have it, that’s on them. But, locally, with the hospital situation being as bad as it’s been anytime during the pandemic and still getting worse, I would feel irresponsible if I wasn’t doing what I could that might help or at least not make it worse.
thepostman liked this
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
Posts
#632067
stokesjokes wrote: September 18th, 2021, 12:21 pm
JK37 wrote: September 18th, 2021, 7:55 am I’m almost on board, then you go and say something like that last statement.

“Many”?! No, no sir. Your very own quoted statistics make it clear nothing near to “many” will be less than “fine” if they “get it”. That run beyond reality is what’s hurting your argument with anti-vax, anti-mask extremists on the other side.
There’s a spectrum between “fine” and “dead” for me. Even if it’s “only” ~1% of those teachers and families that might die, many more are going to be hospitalized and many more that aren’t even hospitalized are going to deal with long-haul symptoms. All of that is not “fine” in my mind.
Interesting how there's a havoc with kids getting sick and the high cases of covid, but allowing school to open. Remember when they shut it down when it was just some mild cases and didn't want to take the risk? Oh I am the mistaken one though. When winter comes the cases will spike up because of the delta(even though it's just the cold/flu). As some "doctors" day it will be fierce. Sure it will; there's no turning back now. As thousands of illegals (Haitians) sit at the border climax together under a bridge in Texas without restrictions, folks on here postung figures from the same government that's allowing the flow to come in. I suppose a mistaker and wacko is now a critical thinker? Left is now right? Up is now down? What a wonderland we live in :lol:
User avatar
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
#632084
I read your post 4 or 5 times and I have no idea what you're trying to say. It is like a hodgepodge of Q influenced far right talking points put together in the most confusing way possible.

*Edited for clarity
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#632085
I don’t think that’s fair to the right-wing. Cruzan’s talking points are from a conspiracy point of view that’s pretty far afield. There’s some fundamental worldview differences that make it difficult to have a conversation that makes very much sense.
User avatar
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
#632089
I see the groupthink police are tag teaming again. Be careful not to offer a dissenting opinion that does not fit the narrative (whatever it is) or you will be labeled. Watch out, man, conspiracies are everywhere. If you're fortunate, perhaps you'll only get a cut and paste response or a fact check link for posting without receiving a passive aggressive personal shaming from SJ. Maybe someday, we'll return to discussion that allows different opinions.

This used to be a fun place to pass time.
User avatar
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
#632090
So it use to be fun because everybody believed the way you do? That seems pretty boring.

It also isn't remotely close to accurate. Just look at this thread, or any thread, it is full of a various viewpoints. Nobody is telling anybody not to believe something. Just that they disagree with their conclusions.

But seriously, what is cruzan trying to say? I honestly have no idea
By Yacht Rock
Posts
#632091
I think it's perfectly fair to call someone out on their bizarre perspective. Sure, share your thoughts, but don't be surprised when you get called out on it.

Also, unless you believe in relative truth, some people are just wrong in regards to their assessment of a situation. This is one of those cases.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#632092
I never thought I was passive :lol:

For a moment I saw SJ and thought Carone was back.

But seriously, although I obviously think Cruzan is mistaken, as I have said before, what I mean is that the disagreement is so fundamental, that’s it’s like speaking a different language- that’s why conversations with him don’t make sense. And conspiracy thinking is conspiracy thinking, I don’t know what else to call it. You can think they are true conspiracies, but that’s what they are.

And as far as groupthink goes, two guys agreeing =\= groupthink. I started posting on here because, after a long time of passive observing, I got fed up with the monolithic point of view that was shutting down dissent, especially since this board represents my alma mater that I love. Now that there’s more balance, there’s going to be more tension because there are more different opinions.

I know I’m obnoxious and antagonistic at times, and I’m trying to be more gracious, but a message board is for debate. This place allows all sorts of opinions. If you’re not expecting push-back from people who disagree, I’m not sure what you’re expecting.
By tyndal23
Posts
#632110
flamehunter wrote: September 10th, 2021, 10:47 am
tyndal23 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 10:40 am :twisted:
stokesjokes wrote: September 10th, 2021, 9:42 am Your friend isn’t wrong, his immunity is better than yours. Statistically, it goes like this: vaccine < infection < infection and vaccine.

The difference is you didn’t have to have COVID to get yours. The cognitive dissonance comes in when someone convinces themselves not to get the vaccine because of “side effects” but is cool with getting COVID, which is a million times worse than anything the vaccine can do to you.
What is a million times worse than dying within 72 hours of the shot ? Care to know how many people that is ? More than we lost in all of Viet Nam, Korea and Afghanistan combined. Stop with your MSNBC nonsense.
Source? Data?
Sorry, thought I posted this but didn’t take. Here is source data.
https://downloads.regulations.gov/CDC-2 ... ment_1.pdf
By Yacht Rock
Posts
#632117
tyndal23 wrote:
flamehunter wrote: September 10th, 2021, 10:47 am
tyndal23 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 10:40 am :twisted: What is a million times worse than dying within 72 hours of the shot ? Care to know how many people that is ? More than we lost in all of Viet Nam, Korea and Afghanistan combined. Stop with your MSNBC nonsense.
Source? Data?
Sorry, thought I posted this but didn’t take. Here is source data.
https://downloads.regulations.gov/CDC-2 ... ment_1.pdf
Have you looked into where your source data came from?

Just curious.

I have.
User avatar
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
#632157
Round and to the point. I love it.
alabama24 liked this
User avatar
By puttincomputers
Posts
#632250
Anti-vaxers and conspiracy theorists are sooooo gullible. And many of them are maladroits as well.

I say this as a former anti-vaxxer and former conspiracy theorist. Thankfully, God woke me up and made me wise to the ungodly pro-death foolishness of those crowds. Follow the money being paid to the anti-vax and conspiracy theory mongers. You will be shocked!
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#632254
So, who exactly is the true face of anti-vax? Nicki Minaj? Good thing she finally figured out how to make some money in this world.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#632257
Really not that many anti vaccers around. Most people just research them one by one before taking them. Just a lot people unsure about THIS one. Time will tell.

They can't even come clean about the origin of the virus. They lose a lot people right there.
  • 1
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Based on things I've read and heard, much I've rea[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Guess I'm going to hell then :roll: Remember[…]

Trump Thread v2.0

I know Biden continues to get a lot of focus on he[…]

Women's Cross Country

Thanks for the update BC. That's pretty cool; cong[…]