Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jmclaughlin
LU 57 wrote: September 21st, 2021, 12:12 pm In all seriousness, I listened to the HCHF coach’s show this morning, and he has me a bit concerned, although he is really good at Coachspeak. He even had me concerned about Campbell🤣. Anyway, sounds like the 🍊will be meaningfully improved from last year.

My biggest concern is protecting Malik given all of the injuries on the OL. Although, OL Coach Sam Gregg said we should have everyone back, he did not choose to say guys would be back at full strength. I would expect that Syracuse has DEs that get after it. I know they also have a DT with 3.5 sacks already.

On D, I am mostly concerned about their RB Tucker who is averaging 122 YPG this year. Although, I feel pretty good about this given DL is arguably our deepest and strongest group.

Obviously, Taj Harris is a really good receiver, as we saw last year. He is averaging ~76 YPG.

All in all I believe we will win but it may not be easy. Certainly not as easy as last year.
Freeze is 100% correct that SU's roster is > than ours...individually. Collectively, Freeze has built a solid unit that has improved immensely from even last years victory over 'cuse. Freeze and these great coaches draw out the best in the players each week. In addition, his game plans are typically solid and unappreciated until the final seconds run off the clock. Exe. pace on offence, blitz packages, DE containment of mobile QB's, even special teams approach (albeit lacking this year), etc. I know we are fearing the improvement in 'cuse from y/y but if I remember correctly, we were without our top RB and WR in Mack and CJ and still ran away with it.
My concern is a raucous Friday night crowd that could get even more rowdy if we fall behind early. If we can start with a good opening drive and hold them behind the sticks early, our guys can settle in and hopefully impose a run game. We see #15 featured this week and sprinkle in #1 in key looks to stretch their LB's and open up some middle runs.
I think we match up well and feel good about this one.
By willflop
jmclaughlin wrote: September 21st, 2021, 3:18 pm
LU 57 wrote: September 21st, 2021, 12:12 pm In all seriousness, I listened to the HCHF coach’s show this morning, and he has me a bit concerned, although he is really good at Coachspeak. He even had me concerned about Campbell🤣. Anyway, sounds like the 🍊will be meaningfully improved from last year.

My biggest concern is protecting Malik given all of the injuries on the OL. Although, OL Coach Sam Gregg said we should have everyone back, he did not choose to say guys would be back at full strength. I would expect that Syracuse has DEs that get after it. I know they also have a DT with 3.5 sacks already.

On D, I am mostly concerned about their RB Tucker who is averaging 122 YPG this year. Although, I feel pretty good about this given DL is arguably our deepest and strongest group.

Obviously, Taj Harris is a really good receiver, as we saw last year. He is averaging ~76 YPG.

All in all I believe we will win but it may not be easy. Certainly not as easy as last year.
Freeze is 100% correct that SU's roster is > than ours...individually. Collectively, Freeze has built a solid unit that has improved immensely from even last years victory over 'cuse. Freeze and these great coaches draw out the best in the players each week. In addition, his game plans are typically solid and unappreciated until the final seconds run off the clock. Exe. pace on offence, blitz packages, DE containment of mobile QB's, even special teams approach (albeit lacking this year), etc. I know we are fearing the improvement in 'cuse from y/y but if I remember correctly, we were without our top RB and WR in Mack and CJ and still ran away with it.
My concern is a raucous Friday night crowd that could get even more rowdy if we fall behind early. If we can start with a good opening drive and hold them behind the sticks early, our guys can settle in and hopefully impose a run game. We see #15 featured this week and sprinkle in #1 in key looks to stretch their LB's and open up some middle runs.
I think we match up well and feel good about this one.
I have a pretty uneasy feeling going into this game for the same reasons as the above. But then I go and watch their game against Ohio and I feel more confident. Ohio is now 0-3 with an FCS loss to Duquesne, and they only trailed SU 12-6 half way through the 3rd. Both SU and Ohio only put up 350-380 yards of offense, Ohio just couldn't get a TD in their three or so red zone trips. Who knows though, these types of comparisons can burn you.
LU 57 liked this
By rtb72
LUalum12 wrote: September 21st, 2021, 3:36 pm IMO TJ Green should start. He is clearly the best option we have at RB.
He has impressed me beyond Mack. Green just looks like he wants it more when he's out there. Mack is very patient on blocking...but IMO, the ODU game he just seemed to have less enthusiasm.
By JCS Flames Fan 31
Long time listener first-time caller (in this case poster) here, been reading all around ASOR since I was first on Campus back in 2007. Was a student manager with the Men's B-ball for a season under Layer :roll: during my LU days, great to see where this football program has come from since the Brock Smith/Mike Brown and Rashad Jennings days when i was there. Taking Ballcoach up on the we need more posters on here...so I'm excited to jump on start chatting Flames Sports with everyone!

With that being said, it's great to see us being a moneyline favorite over a P5 school, even if it is 'CUSE (I can say that cuz my wife is a Orange fan who grew up in upstate NY, God Bless Her hah) Really excited to watch this one in the Dome Friday night. I think HCHF and Malik can lead us to victory but that fired up crowd in the Dome will be something are kids are gonna have to be locked in and ready for come kickoff. My wife remembers those decimal levels in that place. Go Flames!
Liberty22, LU 57, jmclaughlin and 6 others liked this
By LibertyMan
rtb72 wrote: September 21st, 2021, 4:17 pm
LUalum12 wrote: September 21st, 2021, 3:36 pm IMO TJ Green should start. He is clearly the best option we have at RB.
He has impressed me beyond Mack. Green just looks like he wants it more when he's out there. Mack is very patient on blocking...but IMO, the ODU game he just seemed to have less enthusiasm.
What a difference a season makes. I haven't been impressed with any of the backs, including Green. Luis rushed for 17 or 18 yards against ODU and picks up an "Unsportsman" for throwing the ball at a kid. He should have sat the rest of the game. Green doesn't really want to block, and Mack seems unenthusiastic but still leads the group in rushing. This is an RCBJ problem that Freeze needs to fix. I've seen what Luis and Mack can do against better competition in the past. I'm not sold on Green yet. He's just bringing the new guy energy for now. The competition so far has been pretty weak. Mack and Louis are our veterans. I don't think Mack came back for a "Super Senior" year just to be unenthusiastic and non-productive. I doubt that Louis returned to be frustrated as well. Mack and Luis had better seasons last year up to this point, against better competition. Something is amiss in that room. Hopefully, things will change this Friday. It will be good to have the O-line back as well!
By Dalegarz1
I think we will definitely find out how solid our defense is against the run. The Orange will test us early and often with Turner and try to limit the # of our possessions. I would be tempted tom take the ball if we win the toss and score first. Make them play "catch up"!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
FYI
WSYR-TV 9 wrote:Carrier Dome gets brand-new lighting system with new capabilities

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 / 08:48 PM EDT / Updated: Sep 21, 2021 / 08:48 PM EDT

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) –There is an interesting new feature for the Carrier Dome, that you might notice the next time you go to an event at the Loud House.

The arena’s new exterior lighting system can tie in with the new interior LED system. The outside of the Dome can be lit in almost any color, or combination of colors. Lights can dance around the dome, hold steady, and change.

The Dome plans to debut this for fans coming to the SU football game with Liberty University Friday night.
Click Here for Full Story
By jmclaughlin
Lots of great seats remain for Friday...and I mean thousand(s) of empty seats. Not necessarily shocking since we are not the biggest ticket in their eyes but sheesh. Game action Cameras will all be be set at less than 45* angles and those sideline reporters better have nice shoes on.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/syracuse-o ... DDC1B65576

Hover over the sections. Nearly every one offers 100+ available seats.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 5:57 pm I was shocked at all the empty seats I saw on TV there last week.
The fact that any of them were filled is progress in the Peoples Republic of New York. Last year we couldn't even send our radio PxP guy to call the game.
jmclaughlin liked this
By jmclaughlin
Their socials are pushing for a "white out" a la Penn State. Brilliant strategy to blend in with all the empty white seats!
By jmclaughlin
olldflame wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 6:07 pm
TH Spangler wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 5:57 pm I was shocked at all the empty seats I saw on TV there last week.
The fact that any of them were filled is progress in the Peoples Republic of New York. Last year we couldn't even send our radio PxP guy to call the game.
Truth! The Cuomo effect
By BlueBlood
jmclaughlin wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 6:45 pm Their socials are pushing for a "white out" a la Penn State. Brilliant strategy to blend in with all the empty white seats!
A) its kind of lame for them to try to copy Penn State
B) a P5 is planing a “white out” for Liberty? Can you believe this?
jmclaughlin liked this
By LUOrange
jmclaughlin wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 5:48 pm Lots of great seats remain for Friday...and I mean thousand(s) of empty seats. Not necessarily shocking since we are not the biggest ticket in their eyes but sheesh. Game action Cameras will all be be set at less than 45* angles and those sideline reporters better have nice shoes on.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/syracuse-o ... DDC1B65576

Hover over the sections. Nearly every one offers 100+ available seats.
I won't complain. They shouldn't have an issue with me finding a different seat than the end zone seats they gave us visitors then.
By jmclaughlin
https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball ... berty.html

Babers told the press that there will be some key players that will be out on Friday due to injury. Some are even hinting that one of those to be out could be stud RB Sean Tucker.

Babers didn’t name the players who won’t be available to play this week because of injury. The coach also said some of the players who missed last week’s 62-24 victory against Albany could return to the lineup.

“We’re banged up,” Babers said Wednesday night on his radio show on TK99.

“I wouldn’t be telling you the truth to tell you we’re going to be at full strength. We’re not going to be at full strength. We’re going to be missing some cats that you guys are going to be like, ‘oh wow.’ And then we may have some guys back that you guys may say, ‘oh wow.’ There’s going to be some surprises on both sides.”
Kricket, Sly Fox liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I'm curious to see everyone's predictions for this game! It's a tough one to predict with Syracuse looking like they may have a solid defense.
By Geraldos Mustache
I'm not a "run up the score" guy, but Liberty needs to win by a convincing margin a la last year's game. Sounds like Syracuse is improved over last year, which is not saying much, but no where near ACC standards. Need to take advantage of these opportunities when they come around.

Our SOS is not great so larger margin victories are key to making the case we are a Top-25 team.
stokesjokes, Liberty22 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purposely running up the score against teams below us like Campbell or ODU feels wrong and punching down, but against a team that’s supposedly a higher level than us? I hope we try to beat the snot out of them and make a statement.
Liberty22 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
The past 3 years this Axe guy has been obsessively negative about SU scheduling us. He makes me really want this one. Taking 2 out of 3 would be sweet.

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]