If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#631841
AAC has 3 private schools: SMU, Tulsa, Tulane

The only other G5 private school is Rice. If they go AAC, then they AAC becomes the only G5 conference with any at all.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#631845
This kinda-sorta fits here, so I'm not going to start a new thread or spend a bunch of time looking for a better fit.


I assume this would be effective next year, and would mean N Bama and KSU will no longer play football in the BSC. My first question was would that drop the BSC below auto-bid level, but they will still have 7.
User avatar
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
#631846
But wait .. there could be more!



Matt does one of the best jobs with realignment news outside the P5 landscape.

Yes, this likely means Big South Football is dead. Poor Kyle.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
#631849
Big South or MEAC football is dead, one of the two. The Big South already grabbed NC A&T and Hampton, will they invite Howard, SC State, or Delaware State?

And @olldflame is correct, the Big South is currently at 9 members:
Kennesaw State
North Alabama
Monmouth
Robert Morris

Campbell
Charleston Southern
Gardner Webb
Hampton
NC A&T

I also wonder why Kyle thought when he saw a ranked Liberty and Coastal Carolina squaring off in a bowl game?
ballcoach15 liked this
By CinciFlame
Posts
#631850
I’m skeptical the AAC gets those MWC teams they’ve selected, but if they do it could be a good thing for Liberty. The MW would have to back fill and those teams would likely be the Conf USA TX teams. That would move Conf USA to a more manageable eastern conference. If they keep Marshall, Charlotte and ODU that would be a great landing spot for Liberty.
User avatar
By LUOrange
Posts
#631852
Kricket wrote: September 16th, 2021, 4:46 pm Another piece stating the AAC is trying to expand west. I'm skeptical too that the MWC teams will join as well.

I think Boise State and Memphis wait to join the Big 12.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... alignment/
I agree with you and most of everyone else. Boise and Memphis stand pat waiting on the B12, and I seriously doubt any MWC school leaves for the AAC. It does appear that there might be a realigning of the AAC, CUSA and the Belt. More media outlets appear to be speculating about it, which may explain why the Belt wants to expand. It definitely appears that either the AAC or CUSA will be picked apart.

Oh, and the author needs to look at a map, he put Temple in the south.
Kricket liked this
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#631854
ballcoach15 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 9:22 am JMU needs to stay at FCS level. Only real D1 sport they're good at is softball. As for football, JMU is one of those schools that rely heavily on transfers to "build their program". I recall some school that signed 25 players on the last signing day. 23 of the 25 were transfers from another school. Signing 2 or 3 transfers to bolster depth is one thing, signing 23 is cause for concern. NCAA needs to limit the number of transfers a school can sign.

I can't understand how LU fans can slobber over JMU, ODU, Appy State, Charlotte and other lower echelon schools. Our athletic vision should be much higher than these lightweights.
They’re pretty good at Football. If you can’t National Championship as any benchmark
By tyndal23
Posts
#631859
A few days ago, I said get in any conference and have a shot at 12 team playoff. After seeing G5 leftovers ( Memphis aside ) frankly I would rather stay Indie, even if it means an average of only 4 P5 games a year for the next 10 years - 6 P5 games, I am all in ). The P5 games garner my interest 10 times more than G5 ( and I am the nerd that watches all of our opponents and future opponent games multiple times, regardless ). I don’t overrate our Program and do realize Covid in 2020, Freeze,Willis,Ian are an anomaly and should just be enjoyed, but even with 12 team playoff, I feel G5 is fools gold long term. Indie ( if done right ) is the way to go. Hoops,baseball,softball all have a path to postseason, none of these leagues offer more than 1 additional at large - doesn’t really impact our “recruiting” in a way that holds us back from success in those sports. I get the desire for regional rivalries, but I would much rather UVA,VT,Wake,UNC,Baylor,TCU,BC, develop semi hatred vs annual ODU,Coastal types. We make and keep much more $ Indie and set ourselves up for Big 12 or long shot ACC or breakaway from NCAA invite down the road. I know LU can recruit better than any leftover AAC/G5 team IF we don’t fall in to their trap.
By ballcoach15
Posts
#631860
Purple Haize wrote: September 16th, 2021, 6:49 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 9:22 am JMU needs to stay at FCS level. Only real D1 sport they're good at is softball. As for football, JMU is one of those schools that rely heavily on transfers to "build their program". I recall some school that signed 25 players on the last signing day. 23 of the 25 were transfers from another school. Signing 2 or 3 transfers to bolster depth is one thing, signing 23 is cause for concern. NCAA needs to limit the number of transfers a school can sign.

I can't understand how LU fans can slobber over JMU, ODU, Appy State, Charlotte and other lower echelon schools. Our athletic vision should be much higher than these lightweights.
They’re pretty good at Football. If you can’t National Championship as any benchmark
FCS
Kricket liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#631867
ballcoach15 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 11:21 pm
Purple Haize wrote: September 16th, 2021, 6:49 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 9:22 am JMU needs to stay at FCS level. Only real D1 sport they're good at is softball. As for football, JMU is one of those schools that rely heavily on transfers to "build their program". I recall some school that signed 25 players on the last signing day. 23 of the 25 were transfers from another school. Signing 2 or 3 transfers to bolster depth is one thing, signing 23 is cause for concern. NCAA needs to limit the number of transfers a school can sign.

I can't understand how LU fans can slobber over JMU, ODU, Appy State, Charlotte and other lower echelon schools. Our athletic vision should be much higher than these lightweights.
They’re pretty good at Football. If you can’t National Championship as any benchmark
FCS
To say that JMU would not very quickly become competitive at the FBS level if they made that move is not based in reality. They are already better than a lot of FBS teams. Add 22 scholarships and the instant recruiting boost that being FBS gives you, and their ceiling is pretty high.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#631876
Not really sure what Ian means by Mid-Atlantic. But, I'm guessing, he's using the term loosely. I'll take a hypothetical stab at this. Buffalo, Army, Navy, Temple, UConn, UMass in a north division. And Marshall, LU, ODU, Charlotte, ECU, App State in a south division. I guess, he's saying that only a hypothetical such as this would interest him at this point in time. And a conference like this would make too much sense, which means it will probably never happen.

All this to say, we're in a solid position right now. Ian has done an outstanding job scheduling football as an Indy. And the ASUN has been a significant upgrade for basketball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#631879
ballcoach15 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 10:21 am . And the ASUN has been a significant upgrade for basketball.
And softball and baseball.
[/quote]

Yeah, right. It's such an "upgrade" in MBB that we have won it 3 straight years after winning the BSC only once in the previous 14 (and that was a fluke, when a team with a losing record got hot in the tournament).
User avatar
By LUOrange
Posts
#631886
Yeah, I think we would've had a near similar experience the last few years had we stayed in the Big South. Although, I think aside from Lipscomb, the Big South is or was better basketball. To the ASUN's credit, they've improved some with EKU, JAX State, and Austin Peay next year. I still don't want to be in either conference for longer than we really have to.
Liberty22 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#631894
It matters little what the pundits say on this. Especially, when Ian's on record indicating that there is nothing compelling in the here & now.

As far as love for the Big South. Not feeling it. It's exactly the very thing that you should want to avoid. The smallest most insignificant programs labeling themselves as "Big." Who does that?

You guys undervalue the ASUN because they had an off year or two. FGCU was in Sweet-16 not too long ago. Our championship win over Lipscomb in the 2019 was the biggest and most significant win in program history until we defeated MSU in the first round of the NCAA. Lipscomb was a legit at-large bubble-team that year. If I'm not mistaken, they lost to Texas in NIT final that year after knocking off a couple 20 win majors. Garrison Matthews is legit and still plays in the NBA.

Getting out of the BS and joining the ASUN is a clear win-win.
Last edited by paradox on September 17th, 2021, 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
#631895
Good news is that it doesn’t matter until we hear legit sources and the conference announces additions. It’s all just conjecture at this point.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#631897
paradox wrote: September 17th, 2021, 3:42 pm It matters little what the pundits say one this. Especially, when Ian's on record indicating that there is nothing compelling in the here and now.

As far as love for the Big South. Not feeling it. It's exactly the very thing that you should want to avoid. The smallest most insignificant programs labeling themselves as "Big." Who does that?

You guys undervalue the ASUN because they had an off year or two. FGCU was in Sweet-16 not too long ago. Our championship win over Lipscomb in the 2019 was the biggest and most significant win in program history until we defeated MSU in the first round of the NCAA. Lipscomb was a legit at-large bubble-team that year. If I'm not mistaken, they lost to Texas in NIT final that year after knocking off a couple 20 win majors. Garrison Matthews is legit and still plays in the NBA.

Getting out of the BS and joining the ASUN is a clear win-win.
For the record. This coming Spring will mark the 10th anniversary of FGCU's sweet 16 run. That's a decade. I don't consider that to be "not too long ago", and I'm an :oldhag . FGCU is now a joke of a program, still trying to cling to the shriveled vestiges of Dunk City by keeping Fly around, even though he has accomplished nothing. The rivalry with Lipscomb had a promising start, but it looks like Alexander leaving has at the very least put that on hold.

No love for the Big South here. Not only was it a weak conference, it was a weak conference where we were not wanted. Going to the ASUN was a move made almost totally out of necessity, not a win-win in my book. Certainly not a win when it comes to being able to see our teams on the road.
Ill flame, LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#631903
olldflame wrote: September 17th, 2021, 4:04 pm
paradox wrote: September 17th, 2021, 3:42 pm It matters little what the pundits say one this. Especially, when Ian's on record indicating that there is nothing compelling in the here and now.

As far as love for the Big South. Not feeling it. It's exactly the very thing that you should want to avoid. The smallest most insignificant programs labeling themselves as "Big." Who does that?

You guys undervalue the ASUN because they had an off year or two. FGCU was in Sweet-16 not too long ago. Our championship win over Lipscomb in the 2019 was the biggest and most significant win in program history until we defeated MSU in the first round of the NCAA. Lipscomb was a legit at-large bubble-team that year. If I'm not mistaken, they lost to Texas in NIT final that year after knocking off a couple 20 win majors. Garrison Matthews is legit and still plays in the NBA.

Getting out of the BS and joining the ASUN is a clear win-win.
For the record. This coming Spring will mark the 10th anniversary of FGCU's sweet 16 run. That's a decade. I don't consider that to be "not too long ago", and I'm an :oldhag . FGCU is now a joke of a program, still trying to cling to the shriveled vestiges of Dunk City by keeping Fly around, even though he has accomplished nothing. The rivalry with Lipscomb had a promising start, but it looks like Alexander leaving has at the very least put that on hold.

No love for the Big South here. Not only was it a weak conference, it was a weak conference where we were not wanted. Going to the ASUN was a move made almost totally out of necessity, not a win-win in my book. Certainly not a win when it comes to being able to see our teams on the road.
Should've left the BS decades ago. We had options.

ASUN gets more respect and better seeding. And FGCU actually made it to the Sweet-16 in 2013. The following season, Mercer beat Duke. We beat MSU in 2019. That's four big time wins within a seven season span. Not too shabby.

Let's not forget that 2020 was a cancelled postseason and 2021 was just an oddity to say the least.
ballcoach15 liked this
User avatar
By Damien Sordelett
Posts
#631908
paradox wrote: September 17th, 2021, 10:05 am Not really sure what Ian means by Mid-Atlantic. But, I'm guessing, he's using the term loosely. I'll take a hypothetical stab at this. Buffalo, Army, Navy, Temple, UConn, UMass in a north division. And Marshall, LU, ODU, Charlotte, ECU, App State in a south division. I guess, he's saying that only a hypothetical such as this would interest him at this point in time. And a conference like this would make too much sense, which means it will probably never happen.

All this to say, we're in a solid position right now. Ian has done an outstanding job scheduling football as an Indy. And the ASUN has been a significant upgrade for basketball.
The idea Ian is referring to is one that is now being floated around by the national writers, and it is something ODU AD Selig Wood promoted when he spoke with the Harrisonburg Daily News-Record back in August.

Here is the framework of the idea:
The AAC, Sun Belt and C-USA all share geographical footprints, which means more travel for everyone involved. So, in Ian's mind (this is me speculating since I haven't spoken with him at length about this yet) and based on what national writers are suggesting, you take the three G5 conferences and realign them to better fit. For this purpose, the MAC and MWC are not getting touched.

I'll use the example Harrisonburg felt would work (these conference names could obviously remain as AAC, Sun Belt and C-USA, but they were remained for geographical purposes):

East Coast Conference -- Temple, Navy (football only), Marshall, James Madison, Liberty, Old Dominion, Appalachian State, East Carolina, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, Georgia Southern
Deep South Conference -- Memphis, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, UAB, Troy, South Alabama, Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, USF, FAU, FIU
Gulf West Conference -- Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana-Lafayette, Tulane, Tulsa, North Texas, SMU, Rice, Texas State, UTSA, UTEP, New Mexico State (football only)

That gives two of the three conferences 12 members for football. The next step would be figuring out where Wichita State, Arkansas Little Rock and Texas Arlington go. Little Rock and UTA can obviously go in the Gulf West, while Wichita may be better served to go to the Big East (would make most logical sense to give Creighton a travel partner and add another strong basketball school).

From a market standpoint, each league would have several major ones. And if there is an alliance in scheduling, Liberty getting to see Memphis, UAB, Louisiana and SMU on a rotational basis wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Plus, an 8-game league schedule would allow Liberty to keep its future ACC games and the future Big 12 matchup with UCF in 2024.
Liberty22, LU 57, LUOrange liked this
  • 1
  • 486
  • 487
  • 488
  • 489
  • 490
  • 510
Game #8 Preview: @ UNT

How do you know that HF's message is soft? […]

What have you seen with your own eyes? Again, […]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Me getting my 4th booster: https://youtu.be/XKukz[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

@lawdawg2002 sounds like a member of The Dar[…]