If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
That's a good point about time to completion. I took MBA slowly to ensure I didn't bite the hand that was paying for MBA, and didn't sacrifice effort at work for effort on school. I suspect there are many more like me.

Anyway, the athletic success doesn't happen without LUO, so I suppose it being held against us for conference invitations is a bit if a double edged sword.
By LU 57
Kricket wrote: September 15th, 2021, 7:14 pm I have two degrees from the so called diploma mill. It's always been annoying to hear the people on this board talk it down, as nobody has ever looked down on my degrees when interviewing for jobs or any other situation of any significance. I suppose it could be because I'm up north and most people don't know what Liberty is, and those who do are generally positive about it.

The undergrad classes were no easier than the two other schools public schools I went to on campus in Wisconsin, and I skipped half the classes and still did just fine.

I will say I enjoyed the structure a lot more at LUO as everything was run much better than the public schools I attended.

In terms of the MBA I have, hard to tell if it's harder or easier as I don't have another experience to compare it to.

I will say there was one student in my capstone course that I was baffled by them being able to graduate that I felt devalued my degree.

My wife is doing her executive MBA up here at Marquette, and she has people in the program that she had the same experience with. She claims the program is a joke, so I suppose you can find anyone to say anything about their education.
I think that is fairly universal. There were a few folks in my MBA cohort at Tech that were profoundly :?: unimpressive.
Kricket liked this
By LU 57
rogers3 wrote: September 15th, 2021, 6:07 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 1:00 pm JMU needs to stay where they are at. If JMU is good enough for SBC or AAC, then LU should go to ACC or SEC.
In what area do you think LU is superior to JMU? Other than cash on hand, they show better than LU in every area other than men's basketball. They are surely thought of as highly as LU in regards to football. Do you feel the need to always be obtuse?
I have a hard time with this statement. I know you don’t like LU much, but this is a bridge too far at this point. :BS

LU baseball is leaps and bounds better than JMU as well.
Kricket liked this
By sstaedtler
I want the AAC but I am afraid crowd size is going to kill us and we will relegated to the Sun Belt. If the Sun Belt added Marshall, UAB, La. Tech, and us, I'd think about it, only because all 4 of those are good basketball schools and would take us out of the Atlantic Sun in basketball and maybe some other sports. If you add those 4 in football it may be as good as the AAC or what is left of it.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: September 15th, 2021, 8:32 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 1:00 pm JMU needs to stay where they are at. If JMU is good enough for SBC or AAC, then LU should go to ACC or SEC.
In what area do you think LU is superior to JMU? Other than cash on hand, they show better than LU in every area other than men's basketball. They are surely thought of as highly as LU in regards to football. Do you feel the need to always be obtuse?
I have a hard time with this statement. I know you don’t like LU much, but this is a bridge too far at this point. :BS

I have no problem with my football comment; history plays a role in this and until we are consistently dominant on the field, there will be an argument about how we would fare year in and year or with them. Baseball...I missed that and maybe women's swimming. Facilities, size of the "real" student body, state and national reputation, impact on community (meaning positive), quality/ depth of academics, etc (we have some great faculty like Cider and Habermas, but they are working with plenty of really poor faculty that couldn't get a job anywhere other than CVCC). I've followed LU since the Rock Royer era and I am a fan but so much that I am off the deep end like ballcoach!
By tyndal23
rogers3 wrote: September 15th, 2021, 9:48 pm
LU 57 wrote: September 15th, 2021, 8:32 pm

I have no problem with my football comment; history plays a role in this and until we are consistently dominant on the field, there will be an argument about how we would fare year in and year or with them. Baseball...I missed that and maybe women's swimming. Facilities, size of the "real" student body, state and national reputation, impact on community (meaning positive), quality/ depth of academics, etc (we have some great faculty like Cider and Habermas, but they are working with plenty of really poor faculty that couldn't get a job anywhere other than CVCC). I've followed LU since the Rock Royer era and I am a fan but so much that I am off the deep end like ballcoach!
Well, I went 3-1 against JMU, so that is all that matters...
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Seems like we may not be in such a bad spot after all. ASUN is looking good for basketball. And, we have Army and LA-Lafayette at home this year, and BYU and VT at home next year for football. So, is there a conference out there, right now, that we can join, where we can improve on that?
Kricket liked this
By Ill flame
paradox wrote: September 15th, 2021, 11:45 pm Seems like we may not be in such a bad spot after all. ASUN is looking good for basketball. And, we have Army and LA-Lafayette at home this year, and BYU and VT at home next year for football. So, is there a conference out there, right now, that we can join, where we can improve on that?
I don't see how us propping up the 28th ranked conference of 32 in basketball is "looking good". The worst fbs conference at basketball is the Sunbelt who was ranked 18th last year based on the NET rating. Not a great conference by any means but it's a huge step up. With football I think we can continue to schedule 2 P5s a year along with another attractive opponent during nonconference play if we decided to join a conference.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I like the football flexibility and freedom in independence.

Basketball, it depends what your goal is. I think we probably make the tournament more in the ASun than the Sun Belt, because the Sun Belt is mostly a 1 bid league. I think there would be a chance we could squeak in with an at large here and there.

I speak for myself when I say, ASun conference games bore me. A win doesn't make me happy and losses feel devastating. It's just not fun to think 1 or 2 losses destroys a season potentially. For that reason I'd take almost any other conference over the ASun in non football sports.

Im with Ian when he said we're in a great spot either way and our best days are ahead of us regardless of whether we are here or a new conference.
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ASUN is good for MBB only because their autobid is as close as we can get to a free ticket to the dance every year. It's exactly the opposite for WBB as long as the coaching situation at FGCU (and Liberty) stays the same. Baseball and Softball are some of the conferences strongest sports. It's an awful fit geographically, and I don't think being exposed to the "higher profile" markets is helping recruiting as much as some thought it would.
LUOrange liked this
By BlueBlood
This is kind of random. But, I’ve been reading a lot of G5 expansion articles and I’ve probably never thought about the G5 as much as I have the past several days.

The MAC has to be the most boring conference, right? They are probably the most stable, but maybe that is why they seem boring. It seems like all the other G5s always have a program or two that is growing and pushing for attention. And the conferences are themselves jockeying for attention and positioning. The MAC seems stale in comparison and kind of overly accepting of its lot in life. Plus, the Ohio schools seem duplicative of each other and you have the whole East/Central/West thing going on in MI.

Am I alone in thinking this?

I think if I was Ohio or maybe even Miami, I’d think about joining up with a southern conference just to stand out a bit more.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
My son and I drove up to Harrisonburg to cheer on the Flames in their first-ever FCS playoff game against the JMU Dukes. I didn't know much about JMU before then, so my impressions were newly formed at that time. The campus is much larger than I anticipated, and the stadium, at least the student side of it, looked like a major college stadium compared to ours. I was surprised to learn their capacity isn't much greater than Williams Stadium.

After our visit, I remember asking myself why they were content to stay at the FCS level when they had all the pieces in place to go bigger. Instead, they bided their time, built a national FCS football powerhouse with multiple playoff appearances and a couple of national championships, and now leagues are courting them

In the time I've been at LU, when it comes to athletics, we've always been eager to go bigger faster than our on the field accomplishments warranted. It was only a combination of personal misfortune and our redemptive (some would say opportunistic) culture that resulted in Ian McCaw and Hugh Freeze landing here. Add Rich McKay and Scott Jackson to the mix, and our athletic performance is now on par with our ambitions.

I get that some perceive or imagine a rivalry with JMU, perhaps because they're our state school equivalent in terms of size, and they're right up the road. I don't think they give us the time of day. If they get a conference bid and we don't, I get it. It's been great to see Liberty in the national spotlight for its football and basketball teams, but when decision time comes in these conference boardrooms, it's the other stuff - every one here has an opinion on what that means! - that's going to stand in our way.
Purple Haize liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 8:14 am My son and I drove up to Harrisonburg to cheer on the Flames in their first-ever FCS playoff game against the JMU Dukes. I didn't know much about JMU before then, so my impressions were newly formed at that time. The campus is much larger than I anticipated, and the stadium, at least the student side of it, looked like a major college stadium compared to ours. I was surprised to learn their capacity isn't much greater than Williams Stadium.

After our visit, I remember asking myself why they were content to stay at the FCS level when they had all the pieces in place to go bigger. Instead, they bided their time, built a national FCS football powerhouse with multiple playoff appearances and a couple of national championships, and now leagues are courting them

In the time I've been at LU, when it comes to athletics, we've always been eager to go bigger faster than our on the field accomplishments warranted. It was only a combination of personal misfortune and our redemptive (some would say opportunistic) culture that resulted in Ian McCaw and Hugh Freeze landing here. Add Rich McKay and Scott Jackson to the mix, and our athletic performance is now on par with our ambitions.

I get that some perceive or imagine a rivalry with JMU, perhaps because they're our state school equivalent in terms of size, and they're right up the road. I don't think they give us the time of day. If they get a conference bid and we don't, I get it. It's been great to see Liberty in the national spotlight for its football and basketball teams, but when decision time comes in these conference boardrooms, it's the other stuff - every one here has an opinion on what that means! - that's going to stand in our way.
Baylor has as much, maybe more "other stuff" as we do.
By BlueBlood
rmiller1959 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 8:14 am My son and I drove up to Harrisonburg to cheer on the Flames in their first-ever FCS playoff game against the JMU Dukes. I didn't know much about JMU before then, so my impressions were newly formed at that time. The campus is much larger than I anticipated, and the stadium, at least the student side of it, looked like a major college stadium compared to ours. I was surprised to learn their capacity isn't much greater than Williams Stadium
It’s the most confusing stadium I’ve ever seen. One side of it looks like it’s ready for Power-5. The other side looks like a high school stadium. Really nice campus though and I think they will do well at FBS level when they decide to go.

I’ve seen a few articles recently that have said that studies are showing that an increasing number of kids who get into a states’ top tier school do not follow sports. Here in FL, I have UF friends that are very concerned about this. UF is way more academic than when they went there and they are convinced that it has hurt the sports culture. Conversely, you see UCF gaining traction sports-culture wise. Obviously UVA is extremely academic and probably has the same dynamic that my friends are seeing at UF. I will not be surprised to see JMU assume that rising UCF role. App St is probably another good example.
By BlueBlood
BTW - the movement I describe above doesn’t mean that UF is going to disappear sports wise. They are still SEC and still the king and the movement is gradual. They still dominate with non-alumni fans. However, Its becoming obvious to some that athletics aren't getting the same level of support/interest from the now more academically minded student body. And it’s happened to a level that alumni are concerned.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The opposite tends to be the case here in the Lone Star State. Ut and A&M are two of the most prestigious publics in the nation and have by far the most rabid fanbases. For a number of reasons, none of the other schools in the state approach the level of enthusiasm. Sure Tech & Barlor have their moments but only when they are winning big. The other schools either have too small enrollment (Ric, SMU, TCU) or are commuter schools (Houston, UNT, UTA, UTSA, UTEP). The only one who doesn't fit those profiles and still has lackluster fans is Texas State. And they have just been awful for most of the 30+ years I have lived down here.

The graying of college sports fans is really coming into focus. There is less enthusiasm in recent/younger alumni than there was a generation ago. That is why we are seeing the attendance numbers slide even before the pandemic.

As for the MAC they understand their place in the foodchain. If not for the Grace fo God, they oul dgenerally be FCS programs. Frankly that is what most of them are just with the FBS ticket. Ohio, Miami and Buffalo really deserve better. But that is their home for the time being. Buffalo actually has an outside shot at the AAC. It is an AAU school with the finances to do more. What they have not exhibited is ambition.

As for the ASUN, it is what it is. A location to park our sports to allow us football independence. I spoke to at least one conference AD who threw up his hands and explained that it is unfair to have us in the league. But at the same time our presence bings them credibility in recruiting. What a weird dynamic.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JMU needs to stay at FCS level. Only real D1 sport they're good at is softball. As for football, JMU is one of those schools that rely heavily on transfers to "build their program". I recall some school that signed 25 players on the last signing day. 23 of the 25 were transfers from another school. Signing 2 or 3 transfers to bolster depth is one thing, signing 23 is cause for concern. NCAA needs to limit the number of transfers a school can sign.

I can't understand how LU fans can slobber over JMU, ODU, Appy State, Charlotte and other lower echelon schools. Our athletic vision should be much higher than these lightweights.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
JMU is really.a focus of our distant past. No one really cares about FCS. You can take all those past accomplhishments and they wouldn't even scratch the surface of LU's 2020 season. In fact, they could join one of these lower-level FBS conferences tomorrow, and play at the FBS level for 50 years, and never have a 10-1 season, defeat an undefeated rival in a bowl game, finish ranked 17th, and have a player/leader on the level of Malik Willis. Moving forward, we have our work cut out for us, but hopefully we can build off of the success of the Malik years.
Last edited by paradox on September 16th, 2021, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty22 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote: September 16th, 2021, 8:52 am BTW - the movement I describe above doesn’t mean that UF is going to disappear sports wise. They are still SEC and still the king and the movement is gradual. They still dominate with non-alumni fans. However, Its becoming obvious to some that athletics aren't getting the same level of support/interest from the now more academically minded student body. And it’s happened to a level that alumni are concerned.
I mean, it is a college :lol: I’m laughing thinking about alumni, ya know, people who went there for school, being concerned that the school is prioritizing academics :lol:
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I don't know if this helps, but since I have kids in school, I'll add this: the lack of interest in sports may be more of a by-product of the tech culture, as opposed to prioritizing academics. Smaller public schools in my region are struggling to field teams. Tech is the priority, everything else is a distant second.
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By Class of 20Something
The JMU hate is on principle. They aren't just an in-state like-size school. The cultural divide is insane. Anyone on campus in 2009 remembers this game and they remember the riots at JMU that spring. On top of that, their arrogant and condescending attitudes lend credence to the Just Missed UVa backronym. My vitriol for them is only matched by that boiling for the sandbirds of Conway.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... =292692335

That said, fervor and animosity are wonderful things in football. We have a week dedicated to rivals every year. And for that reason, assuming they could facilitate it, playing both Coastal and JMU in the FBS would be a good thing for fan engagement. We worried last year that the players and staff wouldn't grasp the weight of our rivalry with Coastal. Frequency will help the rivalry, not hurt it.

If we goto the American, I want Coastal with us. If JMU makes the jump, the American makes the most sense too. ECU gains a regional team in Coastal and pairing LU and JMU up is golden. The final team the AAC should add is UTSA.

The American could then easily divide into divisions. The East: Tulsa, SMU, UTSA, Tulane, Memphis, USF, ; and the West: Temple, Navy, JMU, LU, CCU, and ECU. That's my idea. If they go to 14 teams, add evenly to those divisions, Army and North Texas to the East and West look good to me.
By BlueBlood
stokesjokes wrote: September 16th, 2021, 9:50 am
BlueBlood wrote: September 16th, 2021, 8:52 am BTW - the movement I describe above doesn’t mean that UF is going to disappear sports wise. They are still SEC and still the king and the movement is gradual. They still dominate with non-alumni fans. However, Its becoming obvious to some that athletics aren't getting the same level of support/interest from the now more academically minded student body. And it’s happened to a level that alumni are concerned.
I mean, it is a college :lol: I’m laughing thinking about alumni, ya know, people who went there for school, being concerned that the school is prioritizing academics :lol:
Ha. You are absolutely right! The same friends who are concerned about the decline in UF students being concerned about sports were all proud this week because UF was ranked a top 5 public university!

They want it all!
stokesjokes liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Question. How many private universities play in the G5 conferences now.

With all this "like minded" stuff there should be one FBS conference for universities like us. B12 is leaning that way.
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 7 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]