Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ill flame
stokesjokes wrote: September 11th, 2021, 10:13 pm One thing I’ve been surprised with during the Freeze era is the pace of the offense. I was expecting fast pace, quick plays and lots of points. What I’ve seen most games is us absolutely chewing up the clock. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it’s not what I expected.
HF knows how to win. The reality is there are few team on our schedule that we will out talent. What we do have is play makers in key positions that will keep the chains moving and the defense fresh.

I wonder if he would rather go hurry up more if we had more depth.
stokesjokes liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am perfectly fine with us getting out of SE Alabama with a victory that really was never in jeopardy by the beginning of the 2nd quarter. While much of the concern was about our losses on the D-Line, it was having our RT & C out on the O-Line that proved to be the biggest challenge.

Mack really looked tentavtive tonight while Green & Lewis looked ridiculously quick.

Malik had himself a solid but not spectacular night by his standards. He's the least of my worries.

Really proud of the way the defense stepped up in response to the opening drive.

Anybod else surprised to see such a sparse crowd on TV? If there were 24, 714 people butts in that 30k capacity stadium I will eat my shoe. I am not sure how their SIDs could post that attendance figure with a straight face. It wasn't even close to a third full based on the video feed.
Kricket, jmclaughlin, Just John and 4 others liked this
By jmclaughlin
Quick thoughts:
We miss CJ Yarbrough desperately
O line are good linear blockers, lousy in space
We lose this game with anyone but #7 behind the center
Pass rush looked slow off the snap. Almost as if they were trying to contain a non-mobile QB
Freeze and staff get the best out of talent
We can win ugly!
Barbir consistently getting the ball through the end zone on kickoffs is a comfort
We still have not opened up the playbook.
Our contributing depth is impressive in almost every position, outside of WR
This has all the ingredients to be a better season than last year! (If we keep #7 healthy)

Light ‘em up!
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
We are going to get beat if we keep this up. D is looking better than last year. O not so much. Good news is we have a few weeks to get better.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: September 11th, 2021, 10:13 pm One thing I’ve been surprised with during the Freeze era is the pace of the offense. I was expecting fast pace, quick plays and lots of points. What I’ve seen most games is us absolutely chewing up the clock. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it’s not what I expected.
Agreed. This time I. chalked it up to a less + a beat up O line.
By GoLU_13_21
ALAFlamesFan wrote: September 11th, 2021, 11:37 pm We are going to get beat if we keep this up. D is looking better than last year. O not so much. Good news is we have a few weeks to get better.
We have a game next week against ODU, no?
By GoLU_13_21
jmclaughlin wrote: September 11th, 2021, 10:57 pm Quick thoughts:
Pass rush looked slow off the snap. Almost as if they were trying to contain a non-mobile QB
We can win ugly!
Barbir consistently getting the ball through the end zone on kickoffs is a comfort
This has all the ingredients to be a better season than last year! (If we keep #7 healthy)

Light ‘em up!
Is CJ out with Covid?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
CJ quit football to join the ROTC. You can see how much Willis improved because last year he would've had at least a couple fumbles/ints. Made smart decisions and protected the ball considering he was running for his life all night long. It was NC State all over again with how bad the offensive line got pushed around.

Defensive was stellar. We missed key pieces and we still got pressure and shut their wr's down, minus the last drive. I will say Story is a STUD. Not a stretch to say he'll have a career in the NFL along with Willis.
By tyndal23
ALAFlamesFan wrote: September 11th, 2021, 11:37 pm We are going to get beat if we keep this up. D is looking better than last year. O not so much. Good news is we have a few weeks to get better.
So you want to throw the ball more vs dominating the clock 39 to 21 minutes with a lead ? Missing a chip shot field goal is sketch, but HF has closed out a lot of games with LU that “ could have” been bigger wins on the score board but eliminated the greater probability of a quick turnover. We controlled this game. Score doesn’t reflect the dominance. Love this D - best DC in the biz at making in game adjustments.
ballcoach15 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
GoLU_13_21 wrote: September 12th, 2021, 12:00 am
We can win ugly!

Light ‘em up!
Is CJ out with Covid?
CJ made a decision last Spring to quit football and focus on ROTC.
As far as "missing him desperately" is concerned, I believe he is/was a talented WR, and showed flashes of great potential, but you can't really miss what you never really had. He spent most of his truncated career on the sideline with injuries.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
We are a 3rd year bowl eligible team. ESPNs FPI has us as at 6.6 wins this season. Is your expectation to be undefeated? I mean, I'd love to to undefeated, but that's a fairly lofty target.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: September 12th, 2021, 6:59 am
We are a 3rd year bowl eligible team. ESPNs FPI has us as at 6.6 wins this season. Is your expectation to be undefeated? I mean, I'd love to to undefeated, but that's a fairly lofty target.
I would say the chances are indeed good we are going to get beat at some point this year, whether it is at Ole Miss or this Saturday against ODU. I fail to see anything going into this game or coming out of it that indicates this was anything but a solid win, on the road, with multiple players out injured or quarantined. Beat the Trojans. Beat the spread. Win, win.

Hopefully we will have most of the O-linemen who were out back Saturday. ODU is not as good a football team as Troy, but we still need to TCB.
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
ESPN's FPI shows we have a 1 in 1000 chance of being undefeated. I think the FPI actually had Troy as a fairly heavy favorite in that game as well (77% chance of Troy winning).

I only say this to put our success in perspective. In a way, I'm kind of talking to myself, because my expectations tend to be higher than they should be in almost anything, so I know it's easy to be spoiled by a year like we had last year. I just don't want it to detract from almost unimaginable success this team has strung together over the past few years. Looking up projections like the FPI help me put achievements in a bit better perspective.
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 12th, 2021, 9:00 am FPI might be the silliest numbers in college football. Totally useless.
Agreed. Never even close to accurate for us. Troy is 26 slots higher than us. :dontgetit Complete joke of a ranking system.
By jmclaughlin
olldflame wrote: September 12th, 2021, 6:49 am
GoLU_13_21 wrote: September 12th, 2021, 12:00 am
We can win ugly!

Light ‘em up!
Is CJ out with Covid?
As far as "missing him desperately" is concerned, I believe he is/was a talented WR, and showed flashes of great potential, but you can't really miss what you never really had. He spent most of his truncated career on the sideline with injuries.
He was who Malik looked to on almost every key possession. It was clear last night that Willis doesn’t have that trust with anyone on down the field throws. Troy figured that out to and made things tough for Willis in 2nd half. Tucking the ball trying to move the chains with your feet will not work against UAB, Miss, Louisiana or Army. Really hoped to see Frith step up but we didn’t hear his name all night. CJ stretched the D. We miss him desperately (or someone of his value)
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 12th, 2021, 9:00 am FPI might be the silliest numbers in college football. Totally useless.
Ok, so what ranking system is accurate or even more accurate?
By LibertyMan
Just John wrote: September 11th, 2021, 7:45 pm Green is clearly our best RB
I wonder what's going on with Mack. Nearly 1000 yards past 2 seasons. TJ Green is a bit reckless. Need to keep his feet on the ground. Injured right shoulder game 1 and seem to favor it last night. Louis is quick but can't take a lot of hits. If Mack gets back to last season's form, we will have a 3 headed monster. Willis can't keep bailing the team out by running. What's going on with the O-Line???
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LibertyMan wrote: September 12th, 2021, 10:18 am
Just John wrote: September 11th, 2021, 7:45 pm Green is clearly our best RB
I wonder what's going on with Mack. Nearly 1000 yards past 2 seasons. TJ Green is a bit reckless. Need to keep his feet on the ground. Injured right shoulder game 1 and seem to favor it last night. Louis is quick but can't take a lot of hits. If Mack gets back to last season's form, we will have a 3 headed monster. Willis can't keep bailing the team out by running. What's going on with the O-Line???
Mack has always been a "patient" runner who likes to follow his blockers and wait for an opening. It has worked pretty well for him the last couple of years, but not so much thus far in 2021.
By Ill flame
Kricket wrote: September 12th, 2021, 9:31 am
Ok, so what ranking system is accurate or even more accurate?
FPI isnt the most accurate but it is very close to it. Someone did a study a few years ago comparing the accuracy of these stats (and the spread) and FPI was pretty accurate. If they give a team a 70% chance to win a game, that team will win the game roughly 65-75% of the time, people just pay attention to the 30% more though.

To answer your question I believe SP+ is slightly more accurate and F+ on football outsiders is even more accurate but not by a significant amount usually. All I know is FPI has liberty way off imo.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I pay no attention to FPI, but I'll guess ESPN and FPI had Florida State beating Jacksonville State yesterday . (Even with 6 seconds left)
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Mack needs good oline play. Thus far our o line play has not been as good as last year. We will need all 3. Green is the most complete by far.

Still believe the line will be fine. Frith lofton and field goal kicking are going to make or break us along with keeping malik upright.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]