If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUaddict
Registration Days Posts
I know many of us aspire for an AAC landing spot an an ideal conference, outside of P5 conference, which I think the AAC would be great as well. A P5 invitation is of course the most desired, but not realistic aspiration based on the realities of academic prowess that university president's want to associate with. I think if the AAC doesn't work out for us this time around, I'm not sure when will be the next time we may have an opportunity to get a conference invite. CUSA is not not in good shape athletically, and I'm not sure if we would even would want to go to CUSA. if Coastal & APP state, and Georgia Southern were to stay in the SBC, and the SBS were to extended an invite to us, I say we take it this time around.

We have had some recent athletic success, but the operative word is "recent", and I think that's great. We're still the new kids on the block in FBS, and I just don't see the AAC invites us this time around, or any other higher end G5 league until we have more success and our academics get better. It really doesn't seem like its the LU admin's priority to raise that Academic standard. Until then, If the AAC or even CUSA doesn't invite us, I would say we join the SBC. LU could develop good regional rivals or revive them, win a few conference Championships, and show that were a good conference partner, maybe then some conference may open to us in the future. Maybe by then we would have a new president, and our academics could be on the rise for a better landing spot. I think especially If JMU gets invited by the SBC with us, and App, Coastal, and Georgia Southern it would be slam dunk. I know many think joining the SBC would look like we are lowering our standards, but to many university president's joining a conference with LU is already a low standard. I'm sure I will get chastized for this, but keep an open mind and consider it in case the SBC wants us, even if its a Football only membership. I would like an all sports invite, but football only could work. Just sayin...
jimflamesfan liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
If the Sunbelt is offering us a membership, it’s because some of their top schools got poached. We’d be joining a watered-down Sunbelt.

Maybe this is snobbery, but, looking at the last couple of years, we’re too good for that. If it’s not AAC or above at this point, we’re better off independent in football.
By tyndal23
stokesjokes wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:49 pm If the Sunbelt is offering us a membership, it’s because some of their top schools got poached. We’d be joining a watered-down Sunbelt.

Maybe this is snobbery, but, looking at the last couple of years, we’re too good for that. If it’s not AAC or above at this point, we’re better off independent in football.
Undefeated Watered down Sunbelt Champion with a decent SOS gets an auto bid over 1-2 loss AAC or MWC in a 12 team playoff. If it weren’t for that, I would say stay Independent. If you do stay Independent, schedule max P5 Games and situate like BYU ( not UMass ). If your recruiting with no chance at making a playoff, at least be able to show recruits your playing higher level of football than any G5.
LUOrange liked this
By cruzan_flame13
tyndal23 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 1:02 pm
stokesjokes wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:49 pm If the Sunbelt is offering us a membership, it’s because some of their top schools got poached. We’d be joining a watered-down Sunbelt.

Undefeated Watered down Sunbelt Champion with a decent SOS gets an auto bid over 1-2 loss AAC or MWC in a 12 team playoff. If it weren’t for that, I would say stay Independent. If you do stay Independent, schedule max P5 Games and situate like BYU ( not UMass ). If your recruiting with no chance at making a playoff, at least be able to show recruits your playing higher level of football than any G5.
College football is not the same like it was decades ago. Taking risks is not into the DNA of many programs. Comfort and ego has become the trend and it's evident by school's fans. As for LU, there's not much we can do but to be patient and take what we can get. Of course we will not get a call unless it's from a desperate commissioner. People always say we are in this issue because of toxic Jr. when in reality it's way deeper in that. Believing in the Bible instead of the religion of scientism will always make it a challenge to get a high interest from anyone. We definitely know it has nothing to do with money.
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
cruzan_flame13 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 1:15 pm

College football is not the same like it was decades ago. Taking risks is not into the DNA of many programs. Comfort and ego has become the trend and it's evident by school's fans. As for LU, there's not much we can do but to be patient and take what we can get. Of course we will not get a call unless it's from a desperate commissioner. People always say we are in this issue because of toxic Jr. when in reality it's way deeper in that. Believing in the Bible instead of the religion of scientism will always make it a challenge to get a high interest from anyone. We definitely know it has nothing to do with money.
I agree and question AAC invite based on that. With OU TX gone Big 12 is the least biased football conference.
By LUOrange
rmiller1959 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 3:16 pm Looks like our BYU games after next season will be under review.

We don't have any BYU games after next season, unless there were some that hadn't been announced.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts

Actually we won’t get past the presidents due to our poor quality online education and how we make our money off it. That’s why along with Jr were rejected by the sunbelt and cusa it had nothing to do with our religion.

Even though Jr is gone, how we run our online programs will hold us back not our beliefs. No presidents want to be associated with that. We’re viewed as a diploma mill in their eyes.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
There's a lot of reasons we will remain independent. Religious bigotry is certainly a factor. Why else did it take BYU so long to land in the Big 12? They only got in because they were the obvious choice, head and shoulders above all else. Deny it all you want, but it's a major factor.
LUOrange liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: September 10th, 2021, 5:46 pm There's a lot of reasons we will remain independent. Religious bigotry is certainly a factor. Why else did it take BYU so long to land in the Big 12? They only got in because they were the obvious choice, head and shoulders above all else. Deny it all you want, but it's a major factor.
Them not playing on Sunday’s kept them out for so long. With the Big 12 needing teams they gave in and are honoring their no Sunday policy.
By cruzan_flame13
ballah09 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 6:39 pm
Kricket wrote: September 10th, 2021, 5:46 pm There's a lot of reasons we will remain independent. Religious bigotry is certainly a factor. Why else did it take BYU so long to land in the Big 12? They only got in because they were the obvious choice, head and shoulders above all else. Deny it all you want, but it's a major factor.
Them playing on Sunday’s kept them out for so long. With the Big 12 needing teams they gave in and are honoring their no Sunday policy.
That's the only [major] reason? Haha okay...
Kricket, LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
I would never say never when it comes to conference realignment. While I would be very reluctant to join the Sunbelt, they are actively working towards becoming that "southeastern G5." If schools are serious about reducing travel and playing regional rivals then I could see some of the eastern c-usa moving to the Sunbelt.

Is that appealing enough for Liberty if the AAC never calls or loses even more teams and is a shell of their former selves?
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 6:39 pm
Them not playing on Sunday’s kept them out for so long. With the Big 12 needing teams they gave in and are honoring their no Sunday policy.
Right, the Big 12 is more desperate now than before, but I think deep down you know the Sunday thing is not the reason it took so long for them to get the invite.
LUOrange, Ill flame liked this
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Meanwhile, Aresco said his conference plans to move "deliberately and expeditiously" to add two to four teams and beef up the league to 10 or 12 following the three departures. Aresco declined to name specific schools the AAC is interested in, but said it would only "entertain institutions that have shown an interest in us."

"We just would like to find schools that think alike, have that DNA of achievement, have a cultural fit, academic as well as social, cultural fit," he added. "Geography does matter to some degree, but it matters less and less because the travel is a lot better than it once was."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... r-exit-fee
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
The no play on Sunday rule pushed Campbell out of the Big South in the early 90s. It is a bigger factor than some of you are giving credit for, especially since BYU is joining a league that contains Baylor and TCU. Plus I'm pretty sure the Longhorns didn't want another L on their schedule :twisted:
By Rubicon
rmiller1959 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 3:16 pm Looks like our BYU games after next season will be under review.

No, next year's schedule stands. It's the ones after that need to be "unwound." Point #3 in this link:

https://www.heraldextra.com/sports/byu/ ... he-big-12/

I would love to come out for the Liberty game, but that will take some convincing with my wife . . . :D
By Rubicon
I'm still waiting for other shoes to drop. Iowa St. in particular deep-sixed the last one, due to supposed "anti-gay" issues. What really surprised me was that Bowlsby said Sunday play won't be an issue at all --- they will accommodate it no problem. Surprised just because it was a sticking point before, but now is a non-issue (as it should be).

I will miss independence in football, but I'm really excited for the Big12 in basketball and other sports.
Kricket liked this
By LUDad
ballah09 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 4:26 pm

Actually we won’t get past the presidents due to our poor quality online education and how we make our money off it. That’s why along with Jr were rejected by the sunbelt and cusa it had nothing to do with our religion.

Even though Jr is gone, how we run our online programs will hold us back not our beliefs. No presidents want to be associated with that. We’re viewed as a diploma mill in their eyes.
Actually, LU online was simply ahead their time. Everyone else is now playing catchup, especially is this era of Covid.
Kricket, LUOrange liked this
By Rubicon
I actually think that seismic shifts beyond these SEC and Big12 realignments are coming, and I think they will completely alter the landscape. I'm sad, because college sports as I knew it in the 80s will be a thing of the past, and I think things are tending towards semi-pro leagues at the top level. There are also culture war currents that will make real religious schools (those who haven't already assimilated) have to decide if they want to be true to their missions, or join the club. A man who Mormons believe is one of the twelve apostles in our day recently caused a stir when he said that

“We must have the will to stand alone, if necessary, being a university second to none in its role primarily as an undergraduate teaching institution that is unequivocally true to the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. If at a future time that mission means foregoing some professional affiliations and certifications, then so be it. There may come a day when the price we are asked to pay for such association is simply too high, too inconsistent with who we are. No one wants it to come to that, least of all me, but if it does, we will pursue our own destiny.” (Jeffrey R. Holland, talk given August 2021 before school began at BYU).

I think the vitriol and scorched earth nature of society right now, and the general lawlessness on both sides is heading towards a big clash of belief systems and ideologies that will challenge tradition and religious belief that runs counter to the dominant social currents. I think that persecution will aim at accreditation and things like that, and that such things will have an impact on sports, conference affiliation, and scheduling bans.

There is an ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times." :)
LUOrange liked this

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]