This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Berenson even bringing the case is a win for Berenson since he gets to grow his audience. That’s his angle, sounds like he might get a few good donations from some rich donors along the way too. It’s either that or he doesn’t understand the standards for a defamation suit, but I’m giving him credit for being smart enough to know that he doesn’t actually have a case.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
He doesn't understand the standards for a defamation suit? Really? If that's accurate, then he would have to be the very first Yale educated Yiddish-speaking native New Yorker who doesn't understand defamation.
Purple Haize liked this
By tyndal23
stokesjokes wrote: August 30th, 2021, 10:47 pm
stokesjokes wrote: August 30th, 2021, 8:47 pm I’m giving him credit for being smart enough to know that he doesn’t actually have a case.
Does Soros Organization pay you by the hour or per post? You and Lynchburg Wildcat Better double check if self quotes count for payroll.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: August 30th, 2021, 11:19 pm
stokesjokes wrote: August 30th, 2021, 8:47 pm I’m giving him credit for being smart enough to know that he doesn’t actually have a case.
Does Soros Organization pay you by the hour or per post? You and Lynchburg Wildcat Better double check if self quotes count for payroll.
Hey, it’s a living.

But not a liberal- I’ve voted for one Democrat in my life, and I feel pretty vindicated about that since Bob Good has shown himself to be just as bad as I expected. Most recently he gets the honor of being one of the only representatives to vote against taking in refugees from Afghanistan.

Also not in the right wing media silo, it’s become crazy town and has warped too many brains of people who I once thought knew better.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: August 31st, 2021, 7:17 am
tyndal23 wrote: August 30th, 2021, 11:19 pm

Also not in the right wing media silo, it’s become crazy town and has warped too many brains of people who I once thought knew better.
This has nothing to do with some unsavory fringe brand of conservatism that's confused about what's worth conserving. More specifically, this is about foundational principles and Twitter's lack thereof. It masquerades as an open public forum, and then restricts and labels content threatening to the DNC as indisputably untruthful. It's both amoral and unprincipled.

Ask any HR manager what happens when their private company publicly accuses someone of lying, and the company can't prove it? I'm sure Twitter will have the best sophistry defense that money can buy. But they are going up against specific foundational guaranteed rights, and not Berenson directly.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
If he’s suing for defamation, the burden of proof is on Berenson. He has to essentially prove that Twitter willfully made an untrue statement of fact about Berenson.

The only statement Twitter has made is that he was "permanently suspended for repeated violations of our COVID-19 misinformation rules."

Now, read Twitter’s COVID-19 misleading information policy and read Berenson’s tweet. All Twitter has to say is “well, we thought that saying the shot ‘doesn't stop infection. Or transmission.’ Or that it has a ‘terrible side effect profile’ violated this policy.”

Even if you don’t think it did, both the policy and Berenson’s tweet are too squishy and subjective to ever be able to prove in court that when Twitter said that he violated the policy they were knowingly making a false statement of fact against Berenson.

And, again, I truly believe Berenson is smart enough to know he has no case, but so much of what happens in the right-wing media silo is kayfabe, to borrow the wrestling term. He knows what his audience wants and he plays to it. It’s not serious journalism, it’s performance. That’s why Tucker Carlson can successfully argue in court (ironically, when he was sued for defamation) that his show is entertainment and no reasonable person would take the things he says as statements of fact. I’ll say that again- he won the case on this argument.

And this isn’t to excuse any similar shenanigans on the left-wing side, but they’re not at issue here. If we were talking about something to do with their nonsense, I’d say the same. I believe Maddow used the same defense as Carlson in her case.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
If this country fails stokes deserves what replaces it. I'm old so not to big a deal. Same thought process I used when getting the vaccine, long term side effects don't worry those of us in the short rows 👍😆
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: August 31st, 2021, 9:41 am If he’s suing for defamation, the burden of proof is on Berenson. He has to essentially prove that Twitter willfully made an untrue statement of fact about Berenson.

The only statement Twitter has made is that he was "permanently suspended for repeated violations of our COVID-19 misinformation rules."

Now, read Twitter’s COVID-19 misleading information policy and read Berenson’s tweet. All Twitter has to say is “well, we thought that saying the shot ‘doesn't stop infection. Or transmission.’ Or that it has a ‘terrible side effect profile’ violated this policy.”

Even if you don’t think it did, both the policy and Berenson’s tweet are too squishy and subjective to ever be able to prove in court that when Twitter said that he violated the policy they were knowingly making a false statement of fact against Berenson.

And, again, I truly believe Berenson is smart enough to know he has no case, but so much of what happens in the right-wing media silo is kayfabe, to borrow the wrestling term. He knows what his audience wants and he plays to it. It’s not serious journalism, it’s performance. That’s why Tucker Carlson can successfully argue in court (ironically, when he was sued for defamation) that his show is entertainment and no reasonable person would take the things he says as statements of fact. I’ll say that again- he won the case on this argument.

And this isn’t to excuse any similar shenanigans on the left-wing side, but they’re not at issue here. If we were talking about something to do with their nonsense, I’d say the same. I believe Maddow used the same defense as Carlson in her case.
Berenson must prove he was libeled. That's true. However, he has something in his favor. There is evidence of the allegation. Twitter labeled him, as deceptive, in writing. Assuming that defamation, slander, or libel is established, Twitter's only defense will be to prove that their actions were justified. In a fair trial, they will need conclusive evidence. Should be interesting.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Interesting. The nurse that gave me my second shot said the big concern now is vaccanted asymptomatic carriers spreading it to both the vaccanted and unvaccinated. Seems the vaccine might be creating undetectable carriers.
By cruzan_flame13
Still do not understand how someone who is not causing or exhibiting a disease(in this case a virus) can spread that virus to anyone especially those that are supposedly protected by a vaccine(s). In a topsy-turvy world that we live in, it's totally scientific.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: August 30th, 2021, 4:26 pm He may have a moral case, but he doesn’t have any kind of legal case. Twitter can boot as they please.

Berenson is a smart guy, he knows this. He’s playing to the outrage crowd to build his post-Twitter base. He’s also already kicking around the idea of crowdfunding the lawsuit, a cynic might say he’s looking to pocket some donations for a lawsuit that has no grounds.
Conservatives have gotten what's coming for them. Wanted private business to have free speech in the form of allowing a bakery to deny service for a gay wedding cake.

As the saying goes, f*** around and find out.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The revenge of the gay wedding cake. Poor guy wasn't thinking about getting caught up into this mess when he started to research indulgent mask wearing.
Last edited by paradox on September 2nd, 2021, 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 6:30 pm
stokesjokes wrote: August 30th, 2021, 4:26 pm He may have a moral case, but he doesn’t have any kind of legal case. Twitter can boot as they please.

Berenson is a smart guy, he knows this. He’s playing to the outrage crowd to build his post-Twitter base. He’s also already kicking around the idea of crowdfunding the lawsuit, a cynic might say he’s looking to pocket some donations for a lawsuit that has no grounds.
Conservatives have gotten what's coming for them. Wanted private business to have free speech in the form of allowing a bakery to deny service for a gay wedding cake.

I think a baker shouldn’t be forced to create anything featuring a message he disagrees with. I also think Twitter should be allowed to ban who they want.

The problem isn’t conservatives, the problem is most people don’t act on principle. They like the things they like and don’t like the things they don’t like. Some of the more clever ones might try to justify it on the back end, but it’s just simple reactionary politics.

Look at the phrase “my body, my choice” now. Half of people who say it believe people should let a mother do what she wants with her body also believe that people should be forced to get a vaccine, the other half believe the exact opposite of this. Neither position is more consistent than the other.

Same for religious liberty- the same people who think we must protect religious liberty because it’s in danger also think it’s ok to ban Muslims from entering the country. Principles and ethics are only used as tools to get what we want, not in fidelity to the principles themselves.
rogers3 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Junior actually was consistent in that he favored Muslims entering the country. He just has issues with "those" Muslims. And they too were welcome, until summarily "ended." At least, that's what I think he said.
By tyndal23
stokesjokes wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 8:18 pm
lynchburgwildcats wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 6:30 pm

I think a baker shouldn’t be forced to create anything featuring a message he disagrees with. I also think Twitter should be allowed to ban who they want.

The problem isn’t conservatives, the problem is most people don’t act on principle. They like the things they like and don’t like the things they don’t like. Some of the more clever ones might try to justify it on the back end, but it’s just simple reactionary politics.

Look at the phrase “my body, my choice” now. Half of people who say it believe people should let a mother do what she wants with her body also believe that people should be forced to get a vaccine, the other half believe the exact opposite of this. Neither position is more consistent than the other.

Same for religious liberty- the same people who think we must protect religious liberty because it’s in danger also think it’s ok to ban Muslims from entering the country. Principles and ethics are only used as tools to get what we want, not in fidelity to the principles themselves.
[/quote

Let us know when you complete your Sophomore year of Philosophy,
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I had to double check to make sure I was right on the medication, but it turns out I have actually taken Ivermectin. About 15 years ago I had a case of scabies (something you want to avoid if at all possible) which kept returning despite multiple rounds of the usual treatment, which consists of slathering your entire body with a creme containing pyrethrin (insecticide) and leaving it on overnight. I ended up at the UVA dermatology clinic, and they informed me that the larvae for the scabies mites were in my liver, which was why the mites kept coming back after treatment. They prescribed Ivermectin, which has to be dosed according to your body weight because too little won't work and too much can be toxic. CVS pharmacy didn't even stock it. They had to special order. I took 2 rounds of the proper dosage, 10 days apart, and repeated the topical treatment at the time of the second round. After that, I was itch-free for the first time in months. Zero side effects for me. When I say you don't ever want to get this, I'm not kidding. The Spanish word for the disease is "Sarna", which is literally translated "itch". I've had other things that were very painful in my life, but I don't think I've ever been more miserable, and certainly not for a longer period of time.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]