This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LU 57
In my mind football and barbecue go hand-in-hand, hence I know there a lot of guys on here who like to smoke meat.

Anyway, I went exclusively wood/charcoal at least a decade ago. Been using a Big Green Egg, a Weber kettle, and after a lot of research and contemplation added a Chargriller XD offset smoker. I just could not justify the $3-5K that a Franklin, Millscale, or Lonestar would set me back (as positively awesome they all are).

As Sly would likely attest, the offset with Post Oak or Hickory imparts a flavor that is just not possible on other smokers.

Curious to know what other devices/methods you all are using.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm interested to hear what people have to say on this. I have been dipping my toes into the world of smoking by just adding a smoke box to my traditional propane grill but really want to get a legit smoker but there is just so much out there I don't even know where to start. I end up watching videos and never really commit to anything.
By LU 57
thepostman wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 9:14 am I'm interested to hear what people have to say on this. I have been dipping my toes into the world of smoking by just adding a smoke box to my traditional propane grill but really want to get a legit smoker but there is just so much out there I don't even know where to start. I end up watching videos and never really commit to anything.
Watch this:

https://www.pbs.org/show/bbq-franklin/

You can get a trial on Prime or it is $2.99/month.

I have been smoking stuff for a while but this series really got me motivated to get a “stick burner” (offset smoker).

It’s a really cool overview of all things barbecue from smoker selection to methods, and really cool anecdotes. One of these days I am going to do a Texas barbecue vacation🤣.
thepostman liked this
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
I run a modified ok joe offset that i burn sticks with, a Bradley for smoking salmon and cheeses, and Louisiana grill pellet for convenience cooking. With 5 kids, the pellet pooper really has come in handy.

I generally smoke texas style. salt pepper butcher paper, etc. I smoke with all sorts of woods depending upon the meat. on the pellet i burn 50/50 charcoal pellets with whatever other wood pellet i'm using.
LU 57 liked this
By LU 57
RubberMallet wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 9:25 am I run a modified ok joe offset that i burn sticks with, a Bradley for smoking salmon and cheeses, and Louisiana grill pellet for convenience cooking. With 5 kids, the pellet pooper really has come in handy.

I generally smoke texas style. salt pepper butcher paper, etc. I smoke with all sorts of woods depending upon the meat. on the pellet i burn 50/50 charcoal pellets with whatever other wood pellet i'm using.
I love “burning sticks”, but it is not for everyone. New stick every 20-30 minutes. I figure a pellet will be next for me, but not for some time. You happy with the Louisiana?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'd love to get an offset and "burn sticks" but with young kids around I'm not sure how feasible that is so I've been leaning towards a pellet smoker just for the convenience factor.
LU 57 liked this
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
its an insulated pit that i supplement with lump so it can burn for 2-4 hours depending upon how hot it is outside.

I really like the louisiana. its an older non wifi model, i'd like to have wifi in the next one i look at. I would say its definitely not for grill use. keep a charcoal/gas grill somewhere. it does claim a 600 degree sear wiht a slidable searing plate but no.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I'd love to get an offset and "burn sticks" but with young kids around I'm not sure how feasible that is so I've been leaning towards a pellet smoker just for the convenience factor.
as our family grew, the pellet became the smoker of choice as a matter of convenience time and time again. to be frank, i haven't used the offset in any serious fashion in 2 years.

We also bought a griddle 4 years ago. I'd say it gets used more than anything else
By Class of 20Something
Laziness is a factor for me and I got a griddle and am comfortable with it on my covered deck where I wouldn't with a grill. I love it. From smash burgers and dogs, fried rice, eggs, bacon, pancakes, Philly cheese steak, and warming up tortillas for tacos, plus I can put pots and pans on it and have everything cooked outside and not ever turn on the stove inside. There are never flare ups and I'm in more control of temperature than any open flame grill.
LU 57 liked this
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Recteq! Best there is hands down!

RT-700 paired with a Bullseye will change your life!

The Bullseye will get up to 750 degrees. Reverse seared Ribeyes!
LU 57 liked this
By LU 57
Big Green Egg is pretty good with a sear as well. Sucker gets up to 900+ when I am burning off after a smoke.

Love to make pit beef with a reverse sear.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i sous vide then use a charcoal starter with a grate over the top to sear off steaks.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I knew this was a thread where Mallet would come back out of the woodwork.

Sadly I do not currently have a working smoker. I am trying to convince myself of the need of a pellet grill but there is always some repair popping up on our properties that keeps me from pulling the trigger.

I do have a stead supply of post oak at my house that I primarily use for firepits. The stuff grows like crazy requiring me to prune regularly. Post oak like every other type of hardwood generally is connected to whatever grows nearby. I love pecan and mesquite woods.

The sous vide method Mallet described has become popular down here in Texas with multiple cuts of beef and pork. Unlike the Carolinians who believe sauce is what makes meat barbecue, it is the meat itself we worship down here.

LU 57 - I would be happy to accompany you on your 'cue pilgrimmage. I always look for any excuse to hit the meccas in Central Texas and beyond.
LU 57 liked this
By LU 57
Sly Fox wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 2:22 pm I knew this was a thread where Mallet would come back out of the woodwork.

Sadly I do not currently have a working smoker. I am trying to convince myself of the need of a pellet grill but there is always some repair popping up on our properties that keeps me from pulling the trigger.

I do have a stead supply of post oak at my house that I primarily use for firepits. The stuff grows like crazy requiring me to prune regularly. Post oak like every other type of hardwood generally is connected to whatever grows nearby. I love pecan and mesquite woods.

The sous vide method Mallet described has become popular down here in Texas with multiple cuts of beef and pork. Unlike the Carolinians who believe sauce is what makes meat barbecue, it is the meat itself we worship down here.

LU 57 - I would be happy to accompany you on your 'cue pilgrimmage. I always look for any excuse to hit the meccas in Central Texas and beyond.
I will certainly let you know if/when it happens. Did you ever watch the Franklin series on PBS? To your point about sauce, one of the featured pit masters said you only need sauce if you are hiding something.

Growing up in Tidewater, I kind of grew up with Eastern Carolina BBQ, but have really learned to appreciate the Central Texas methods. Salt, pepper, and pink butcher paper only for brisket.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I never watched that series but Matt gets plenty of attention. I would argue he's possibly not in the top 3 smokers in Austin. He's just blessed with better pub. But he is awesome nonetheless. Smoking is an art in Central Texas that is a generational experience.
By JCS Crew
Let me make a case for ceramic/Kamado type grills. Either Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg. They are extremely versatile as you can smoke at 225 or do a pizza at 700 degrees. Reverse searing steaks is my new preferred method for steak and is easy to do on my KJ. With the ceramic, it makes temp control extremely easy as there is very little temp fluctuation. Also, doing 14 hour brisket smokes, I fill it with lump charcoal at the beginning and never have to add any fuel for the duration of the smoke.

Yes, they are not as large as a Traeger or Rec Tec, but so much more versatile.
LU 57 liked this
By LU 57
JCS Crew wrote: September 5th, 2021, 1:14 pm Let me make a case for ceramic/Kamado type grills. Either Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg. They are extremely versatile as you can smoke at 225 or do a pizza at 700 degrees. Reverse searing steaks is my new preferred method for steak and is easy to do on my KJ. With the ceramic, it makes temp control extremely easy as there is very little temp fluctuation. Also, doing 14 hour brisket smokes, I fill it with lump charcoal at the beginning and never have to add any fuel for the duration of the smoke.

Yes, they are not as large as a Traeger or Rec Tec, but so much more versatile.
I love my BGE and agree on how great it is at holding temp for long periods. Will likely never give it up.

However, I do enjoy the “stick burner”. Maybe the fact that it is all wood that awakens something primal in me🤣.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Being actively involved in the cook process is what makes the "stick burners" so appealing but knowing how chaotic my life is that is probably biting off more than I can chew. Haha
By LU 57
thepostman wrote: September 5th, 2021, 2:47 pm Being actively involved in the cook process is what makes the "stick burners" so appealing but knowing how chaotic my life is that is probably biting off more than I can chew. Haha
That’s why you need more than one for different occasions.
thepostman liked this
By LU 57
Purple Haize wrote: September 5th, 2021, 5:56 pm Gas Grill. I don’t have time for anything else. :D
I used to feel that way, but my mindset has changed over the years. I only use the Egg or the Weber kettle during the week. Both take about 20-30 minutes to heat up, but it is well worth it. Also with the Egg I can set up a pork butt on a busy Saturday, go do what I need to do, and pull it off hours later when ready with a Flame Boss (has a mini fan to regulate temp).

The stick burner is a labor of love and for weekend days with little or nothing planned. Sadly, with 2 in college and a junior in HS these days are increasing in number.

Watch a couple of episodes of this to get motivated:

https://www.pbs.org/show/bbq-franklin/

Or maybe this:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81292974

You won’t regret it!
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I never watched that series but Matt gets plenty of attention. I would argue he's possibly not in the top 3 smokers in Austin. He's just blessed with better pub. But he is awesome nonetheless. Smoking is an art in Central Texas that is a generational experience.
aaron franklin's bbq is very good however, the cost at which it takes to get it is not worth it. moreso when you have other options nearby. some of which may even be better options. I think equally good in austin are Terry Black's and Coopers. and you can go for dinner and there is plenty of food available.

also all of these places do some things that they don't really advertise. 1. they squirt beef tallow on the butcher paper before its wrapped and 2. They finished their briskets around midnight and place them in 170 degree food holders until they open at lunchtime.

around 11:00 - midnight, they will pull all the briskets and butts they began earlier in the day and place them into the holders. and then put new ones on (for the next nights dinner) franklin doesn't put food on for dinner just lunch thats why they run out.
LU 57 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]