If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
The invitation was requested and has been extended. So after the two schools accept the invitation tomorrow morning, the only mystery remaining is how long they're willing to stay in the Big 12 before they either pay to leave, negotiate a settlement or hope the league breaks up before 2025.

https://www.secsports.com/article/31913 ... sity-texas
Last edited by rmiller1959 on July 29th, 2021, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Read some speculation on two super confs. The ACC merges with the SEC and B10 with the Pac12. Had B12 scrambling.

Main thing I want to see is a path for a couple of the rest to get in playoffs.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The grant of rights on television revenue extends for four more seasons. I don't think anyone believes it will take that long for UT & OU to be playing in the SEC. Several scenarios could impact their departure:

• 1. The Big XII could cease to exist and at the minimum could fall to such a small number of teams that it could be considered a breach of contract releasing all members from the GOR agrement. That is what led Bowlby to his dimwitted cease & desist that likely cost him several potential expansion candidates.
  • 2. Texas & Oklahoma could agree to a buyout settlement with the remaining eight members that could open the door to leave early.
  • 3. Texas & Oklahoma make the move to SEC and simply pay the penalties out of pocket for remaining years on contract.This would be most expensive option.
  • 4. Texas & OU take the Big XII to court and fight the validity of a contract that they were forced to sign against their own best wishes.

I don't think anyone expects a move to occur prior to the 2021 season. Most expect one last season of Big XII membership as a farewell tour. That would leave three years of GOR cash on the books. This is here the real fun begins. Today's Big XII meeting in Dallas of the Little 8 would determine how the league responds. Does it expand? Does it hold at 8 for the time being? Does it focus on negotiations with the perceived traitors in Austin & Norman?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I assume the expansion/replacement candidates would be from the AAC for the most part and the AAC recently signed a long-term ESPN contract, so I’m assuming these are the schools you are referencing being turned off by the cease and desist. It would be nuts to see the AAC absorb the Big 12 instead of vice versa just based on history and clout, but it sounds like that would be in play. I don’t think that would be good for LU since the AAC would be our best fit at the moment.

There’s no way Texas and OU play out their contract, I can’t think of a single example in recent conference realignment history where a school stayed in a conference for more than a year after announcing their intention to leave. It’s more about how they work out their early release than if they do.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
I agree that they probably have the money to pay the buyout, and I've heard about the idea of ESPN buying out the Longhorn Network and the two schools using that to pay off the Big 12. I don't know if the latter is truly plausible because I don't know the intricacies of these media contracts. I imagine they could launch a fundraising campaign with their donors and boosters and raise the money they need in an evening over a fine steak and a glass of wine! Here's what I think their thinking is in order of preference:

1) Watch the unity of the remaining Big 12 schools dissolve over the inevitable demise of the league, with several of them poached by one or more leagues, meaning the Big 12 will be history by 2022 or 2023, voiding the ESPN media contract.

2) If the reports are true and ESPN still owes the Longhorn Network $150 million or so for their 10-year, $300 million contract, get ESPN to ante up and pay the bill, and then use the proceeds to buy out their contracts. The only question is whether Texas would use its money to bail out Oklahoma.

3) Just pay the bill and hope the lucrative media rights and increased revenue from SEC membership make up for it quickly.

4) Play out the string for four years.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 30th, 2021, 1:24 pm Liberty would be a nice fit to round out the east

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/bowlsby-n ... er-report/
Bowlsby is probably not wrong that the AAC has had contact with ESPN about realignment given that the AAC commish was a long-time ESPN exec, but my question is “so what?”

Bowlsby’s accusations are a bad look here. He’s not selling the league to the teams, he’s trying to keep them on a technicality. I think this gives the remaining 8 a bad taste about the Big12. If I were any of them, I’d be working on my exit strategy.
rmiller1959 liked this
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 30th, 2021, 1:20 pm That is what led Bowlby to his dimwitted cease & desist that likely cost him several potential expansion candidates.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was a boneheaded move from a PR and a legal perspective. It reeks of desperation, and it looks like a ham-handed attempt to put the AAC on notice and whine about Texas and Oklahoma not talking to them about leaving.
By cruzan_flame13
stokesjokes wrote: July 30th, 2021, 1:39 pm
TH Spangler wrote: July 30th, 2021, 1:24 pm Liberty would be a nice fit to round out the east

Bowlsby is probably not wrong that the AAC has had contact with ESPN about realignment given that the AAC commish was a long-time ESPN exec, but my question is “so what?”

Bowlsby’s accusations are a bad look here. He’s not selling the league to the teams, he’s trying to keep them on a technicality. I think this gives the remaining 8 a bad taste about the Big12. If I were any of them, I’d be working on my exit strategy.
By Have_a_Gansett_2011
I know a few years ago there was a lot of talk about the Sun Belt and the CUSA swapping teams to fit geography better, like a merger -> re-split. You have to wonder if the Big 12 and AAC would consider doing the same by adding some teams to make 2 new 10/12 team conferences. They're both headquartered in Dallas across the street from each other. They should work it out over lunch lol

Big XII - Houston, Baylor, TCU, TTU, SMU, OkSt, KU,KSU,ISU, Air Force, BYU, Tulsa
AAC - WVU, Cincy, Navy, Temple, ECU, UCF, USF, LU, Tulane, Marshall, Charlotte?, Louisiana?
By tyndal23
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 1:49 pm
stokesjokes wrote: July 30th, 2021, 1:39 pm

I sort of disagree, in that for Bowlsby to find out it , the source had to most likely come from one of the teams approached by ESPN and AAC. That institution was probably laughing at the gall of AAC and felt comfortable throwing them under the bus. Had it been a P5 sending overtures, that same institution would have kept their mouth shut and tried to figure out how fast they could sign on the dotted line.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
“We are very happy as an Independent,” McCaw stated. “It has worked out extremely well. The program has thrived. We have a lot of great assets. We have a television contract with ESPN, we just announced that extension on Monday for the next five years. We have an ESPN bowl agreement which is really desirable. We have our schedules built out through 2026. We are in a really good spot as an Independent. It’s very sustainable for us.”

“As a faith-based school, we’ve really modeled our program after Notre Dame and BYU,” McCaw continued. “Those are two programs that have the blueprint of playing Independent football and done extremely well. We are in a great position. That being said, if an FBS conference opportunity came along and was offered to us, we would need to carefully evaluate it. It would have to be very desirable though because our current situation is a very good one.”
https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-ad-ia ... rtunities/
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Whoever put that article together, apparently was bored with nothing to do.
With all the uproar on Teaxs and Okies going to SEC, B12 should add Liberty and UCF, and play ball.
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I was very excited at first news that there was going to be this big realignment shift because we might get an invite to a conference. After thinking about it, the only reason I would want a conference is for the rest of our sports.

As Ian said, independence is very sustainable for us, contrary to what some other think. I think it gives us a unique opportunity to control our brand. My thought is both BYU and Notre Dame would lose something by joining a conference. They lose part of their independent identity as a school. I think if Notre Dame joined a conference they would lose some of their mystique and might become just another ACC or Big Ten team.

Are we really willing to become just another G5 team long term by joining a G5 conference? Obviously we'd all take a P5 invite, but that isn't happening probably ever.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd prefer an upgrade in all sports I'd we can get it. A-10 or Big East, or anything better than the A Sun.

For football though, I'm ready to say I'd be happy with staying Independent for the foreseeable future. I think it's something we can wear as a badge of honor. Nobody wanted us and now we'll whip you as an Indy. Start branding us as a maverick team that's ready to take on the P5 from the outside. We started doing that by showing we consistently beat ACC teams. Let's keep that ball rolling. #IndyForever
ATrain liked this
By LUOrange
Kricket wrote: July 31st, 2021, 9:40 am
“We are very happy as an Independent,” McCaw stated. “It has worked out extremely well. The program has thrived. We have a lot of great assets. We have a television contract with ESPN, we just announced that extension on Monday for the next five years. We have an ESPN bowl agreement which is really desirable. We have our schedules built out through 2026. We are in a really good spot as an Independent. It’s very sustainable for us.”

“As a faith-based school, we’ve really modeled our program after Notre Dame and BYU,” McCaw continued. “Those are two programs that have the blueprint of playing Independent football and done extremely well. We are in a great position. That being said, if an FBS conference opportunity came along and was offered to us, we would need to carefully evaluate it. It would have to be very desirable though because our current situation is a very good one.”
https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-ad-ia ... rtunities/
I think he's got something cooking.
TallyW, TH Spangler, LU 57 and 1 others liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: July 31st, 2021, 9:59 am I was very excited at first news that there was going to be this big realignment shift because we might get an invite to a conference. After thinking about it, the only reason I would want a conference is for the rest of our sports.

As Ian said, independence is very sustainable for us, contrary to what some other think. I think it gives us a unique opportunity to control our brand. My thought is both BYU and Notre Dame would lose something by joining a conference. They lose part of their independent identity as a school. I think if Notre Dame joined a conference they would lose some of their mystique and might become just another ACC or Big Ten team.

Are we really willing to become just another G5 team long term by joining a G5 conference? Obviously we'd all take a P5 invite, but that isn't happening probably ever.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd prefer an upgrade in all sports I'd we can get it. A-10 or Big East, or anything better than the A Sun.

For football though, I'm ready to say I'd be happy with staying Independent for the foreseeable future. I think it's something we can wear as a badge of honor. Nobody wanted us and now we'll whip you as an Indy. Start branding us as a maverick team that's ready to take on the P5 from the outside. We started doing that by showing we consistently beat ACC teams. Let's keep that ball rolling. #IndyForever
"Showing we consistently beat ACC teams..."Um, our first two wins over the ACC were last year, in stadiums that had severely limited capacity for fans or no capacity for fans. Lets start winning those games year in, year out first...

That said, I agree with staying independent. We're doing well so far, and if we can sustain the level of success we've had, we'll be just fine being on our own. The A-10 would be a nice spot and a step up for men's and women's bball as well as tennis ,but a bit of a step down for baseball and some other sports.
Kricket liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 31st, 2021, 9:47 am Whoever put that article together, apparently was bored with nothing to do.
With all the uproar on Teaxs and Okies going to SEC, B12 should add Liberty and UCF, and play ball.
The “article” literally started off by saying as much.
This is only a thought experiment meant to pass the time.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:49 am Read some speculation on two super confs. The ACC merges with the SEC and B10 with the Pac12. Had B12 scrambling.

Main thing I want to see is a path for a couple of the rest to get in playoffs.
As much as I would enjoy an annual Tech/UT rivalry game (maybe at Bristol, the halfway point, similar to the Texas/Oklahoma Red River Rivalry being played in Dallas every year), I don't see the ACC and SEC merging. Maybe when Mike Slive and John Swofford were commissioners, but not now.
This year's men’s basketball?

I have no interest in a 6' 8 guard or a 7' forward[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.