This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUOrange
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 13th, 2021, 2:38 pm
stokesjokes wrote: July 13th, 2021, 2:26 pm This should have been the first project they did. The Rot was too small 15 years ago when I was a student, I can’t imagine what it’s like now.
It's good for now. If the campus ever expanded to the back of East Campus and/or where Candlers Mountain shopping center, then they should add a smaller cafe to balance the increase in population (if it ever happens).
They've got eateries all over campus, icluding a food court in Green Hall/Ericcson Bldg. All of them should actually be sufficient IF they can be used with the students' meal plans. Of course, I don't know if that's the case. If it's not, it should be.
By cruzan_flame13
LUOrange wrote: July 13th, 2021, 2:57 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 13th, 2021, 2:38 pm
stokesjokes wrote: July 13th, 2021, 2:26 pm This should have been the first project they did. The Rot was too small 15 years ago when I was a student, I can’t imagine what it’s like now.
It's good for now. If the campus ever expanded to the back of East Campus and/or where Candlers Mountain shopping center, then they should add a smaller cafe to balance the increase in population (if it ever happens).
They've got eateries all over campus, icluding a food court in Green Hall/Ericcson Bldg. All of them should actually be sufficient IF they can be used with the students' meal plans. Of course, I don't know if that's the case. If it's not, it should be.
I understand that they have eateries, but it's not the same like a cafeteria. Those eateries are very selective with student's meal plans.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: July 13th, 2021, 2:35 pm People do still call it The Rot.
Many students--and even some younger tour guides--don't know why the cafeteria was originally called "The Rot," but some :oldhag like Sly might know.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote: July 13th, 2021, 10:20 pm It was “The Marriott” when I was living on campus ‘99-‘02.
YES, LU students abbreviate everything, and Marriott quickly became called "The Rot." That's your LU history lesson for today.
And for the really old timers, you called "SAGA" something else. :oldhag :oldhag
PAmedic, LUOrange liked this
By Veritas
I was part of the building services crew that relocated the kitchen equipment from the SAGA location to the then-new "Reber Thomas" cafeteria. The rot wasn't just in the front of the house.
LU 57 liked this
By BlueBlood
This has surely been discussed before, right? A photo of the UConn campus came across my Instagram feed and for a second, I thought it was one of the retro pictures of campus that LU often posts. Nope, UConn's Gampel Pavillion just looks an awful lot like the Vines Center did. BTW - this wasn't the picture (these buildings are more immediately recognizable as not LU). I couldn't get the Instagram picture to copy.

LU 57, badger74 liked this
By tyndal23
I have a backward view of Stadium Expansion, by backward I mean it will cost much more and seat less, however, the tv image, sound level, and player recruit image is much more impressive. It involves the south side main entrance. Rather than just filling in the lower bowl with permanent seating , ( actually we are tiering it with no seats - just kid zone family seating for now - ok do that as well ) I recommend adding the upper level first. Leave the turf as is or new “tiering” but add an upper level - even 1800 seats with a walkway Connecting the other upper decks. The end zone doesn’t even need to match the height level of the east west upper decks - just close in the south end zone. Closest I have found is TCU. The key is to build it correctly where you don’t have to “tear down” but can “add to” by one day wrapping in full height and width sections. It could be as small as 1800 new seats, but make our stadium seem much more FBS level visually.
By Ill flame
I think I would rather see at least most of the bench back seats and bleachers replaced with proper chair backs. It would likely lower the seating capacity but that could easily be made up filling in the lawn. I would rather see fan experience and comfort prioritized over stadium capacity. FBS level visuals mean nothing to me, it's a nice little stadium.
By cruzan_flame13
I think a nice upper deck to connect the east and west would be great. I would hope they'll Improve the south entryway and possibly create a bigger store to walk into for school merchandise. Yes, I will point this out, I hope the bookstore will move to another area (like where the Rot is currently). Where's that school of engineering that was promised (and other schools)? SMH :nonono :lol:
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: October 14th, 2021, 10:49 pm I think I would rather see at least most of the bench back seats and bleachers replaced with proper chair backs. It would likely lower the seating capacity but that could easily be made up filling in the lawn. I would rather see fan experience and comfort prioritized over stadium capacity. FBS level visuals mean nothing to me, it's a nice little stadium.
I agree 90%. UNC stadium looks gorgeous “empty” with photos of “empty seats” and Mack Brown uses it every week on Twitter - every chair is UNC chair back Blue. The other 10% means LU making the stadium appear as large as it can on TV and in person for recruits. We have the best looking 25k seat stadium in America,- with some optical illusions, we can make it look like 40k plus without committing the G5 sin of too much stadium for the product/fan base.
By tyndal23
tyndal23 wrote: October 14th, 2021, 11:55 pm
Ill flame wrote: October 14th, 2021, 10:49 pm I think I would rather see at least most of the bench back seats and bleachers replaced with proper chair backs. It would likely lower the seating capacity but that could easily be made up filling in the lawn. I would rather see fan experience and comfort prioritized over stadium capacity. FBS level visuals mean nothing to me, it's a nice little stadium.
I agree 90%. UNC stadium looks gorgeous “empty” with photos of “empty seats” and Mack Brown uses it every week on Twitter - every chair is UNC chair back Blue. The other 10% means LU making the stadium appear as large as it can on TV and in person for recruits. We have the best looking 25k seat stadium in America,- with some optical illusions, we can make it look like 40k plus without committing the G5 sin of too much stadium for the product/fan base.
And once again - I am a proponent of TV fan base first and home crowd last as a program builder for LU ( and we are very unique ). Trying to build a Lynchburg at home crowd just isn’t feasible. Scattered alumni, adverse local township/city support. Build from program from TV inward opposite of what All the regional programs are required to do ( embrace your strengths - blast past other’s limitations ) and stay away from G5 conferences at all costs - still the road to nowhere.
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: October 14th, 2021, 11:55 pm
I was thinking about the chair back seats from a fan comfort perspective (sitting on bleachers definitely discourages me from going to games). You make a good point though, stadiums look way better and more professional with team colored seats.

I think you can have the best of both worlds. Adding an upper deck, keeping the berm and switching to chair backs could improve the fan experience a lot without adding much if any to the capacity of the stadium. 25,000-30,000 capacity will be plenty big for awhile but there are definitely some ways they can improve the stadium without doing anything too crazy.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Why add seats when LU can’t fill the ones they’ve got?

If I understand correctly, you’re saying build different seats, lowering capacity, to make it look better in media when seats aren’t filled…?
By Ill flame
JK37 wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:44 am Why add seats when LU can’t fill the ones they’ve got?

If I understand correctly, you’re saying build different seats, lowering capacity, to make it look better in media when seats aren’t filled…?
What I'm suggesting is that we get rid of the bleachers and replace them with proper chairs like most professional stadiums have so the fans will be more comfortable at games. Since you can't cram as many people in chairs as you can on bleachers more seats will need to be added for the stadium capacity to stay relatively the same. The chairs would make the stadium look a lot better but that isn't the priority just another positive byproduct.
jimflamesfan liked this
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Just a reality check for those wanting more general admission seating and better parking. I would imagine that most general admission seating will be done away with soon. That was FCS, we are now FBS. Every school that we would consider even remotely equal to us has ZERO general admission seating except in a designated student section. Every other seat in the house has a seat number on it and the right to purchase that seat is directly related to the booster club level to which a person contributes. Not trying to sound mean, just being truthful. As soon as next year, there will be fans of other schools buying lower level Flames Club memberships just to get tickets to the one game of the year when their team plays us. They will sell most of our other game tickets on Stub Hub to recoup some of their investment. If you don't believe it, you will when you see all the Orange clad Hokies and blue/white BYU fans at our games next year. Our current reserved season and single game tickets are so much cheaper than other FBS tickets, that those fans will pay the price. For example, a single game reserved LU ticket is generally in the $30 range and ECU tix are around $60 not including Pirate Club contributions. That is with a $500 contribution to the Pirate Club and your seats are on the 20 yard line. You are not getting anywhere near the 50 yard line without a $1,500 Pirate Club contribution.
The goal is to get to a point where Football and Basketball pay for sports scholarships themselves and eventually for the non-revenue scholly's (like softball). I know that is in the future, but that will pave the way for more $ to stay in academics and other endeavors.
What LU needs is to get more alums into the Flames Club. The lowest level starts at just $60 a year and you can pay it monthly over the course of the year. Did mine yesterday for next year and they split it into 10 monthly no-interest payments. Tickets can be split up as well when the new prices are announced early next year. Parking is also included and my modest contribution this year entitled me to park right next to the bookstore. You can't beat that.
To conclude, LU has the most reasonable prices to see a top 25 caliber FBS team in the country, it's time for some to realize what a gem we have and get on board. By the way, I got season basketball tickets too. Great seats for less than $9 a game, come on, man!
JK37 liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: October 15th, 2021, 10:50 am Just a reality check for those wanting more general admission seating and better parking. I would imagine that most general admission seating will be done away with soon. That was FCS, we are now FBS. Every school that we would consider even remotely equal to us has ZERO general admission seating except in a designated student section. Every other seat in the house has a seat number on it and the right to purchase that seat is directly related to the booster club level to which a person contributes. Not trying to sound mean, just being truthful. As soon as next year, there will be fans of other schools buying lower level Flames Club memberships just to get tickets to the one game of the year when their team plays us. They will sell most of our other game tickets on Stub Hub to recoup some of their investment. If you don't believe it, you will when you see all the Orange clad Hokies and blue/white BYU fans at our games next year. Our current reserved season and single game tickets are so much cheaper than other FBS tickets, that those fans will pay the price. For example, a single game reserved LU ticket is generally in the $30 range and ECU tix are around $60 not including Pirate Club contributions. That is with a $500 contribution to the Pirate Club and your seats are on the 20 yard line. You are not getting anywhere near the 50 yard line without a $1,500 Pirate Club contribution.
The goal is to get to a point where Football and Basketball pay for sports scholarships themselves and eventually for the non-revenue scholly's (like softball). I know that is in the future, but that will pave the way for more $ to stay in academics and other endeavors.
What LU needs is to get more alums into the Flames Club. The lowest level starts at just $60 a year and you can pay it monthly over the course of the year. Did mine yesterday for next year and they split it into 10 monthly no-interest payments. Tickets can be split up as well when the new prices are announced early next year. Parking is also included and my modest contribution this year entitled me to park right next to the bookstore. You can't beat that.
To conclude, LU has the most reasonable prices to see a top 25 caliber FBS team in the country, it's time for some to realize what a gem we have and get on board. By the way, I got season basketball tickets too. Great seats for less than $9 a game, come on, man!
Agree 100000000%. I have been a member of the Flames Club for 25+ years. It wasn't even called the Flames Club back then. It is a great way to support the athletic program. I know that it is disconcerting to have opposing fans sitting in the Club Seats, especially when they are sold out. I am also aware of some, who plan to join the Flames Club next year, just to sell their tickets to the VaTech's of the world, to recoup their cost of the rest of the season ticket price.
We have a great product at a very reasonable price. EVERYONE on this board should be a Club member.
As far as expanding the stadium, I believe it is quite premature. We haven't come close to filling the one we have. I see the wisdom in a stadium the resembles the basket ball arena. People always want things that are in short supply. I bought 2 season ticket to basketball, even though I live 3 hours away and will probably attend very few games. But when I want to attend, I want my tickets readily available. Use my name when joining, I get points for referring new members. :) David Brown.
Last edited by flameshaw on October 16th, 2021, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LU 57 liked this
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
I live 3-plus hours away in South Raleigh as well and though not as convenient as I would like sometimes it is always well worth the trip. Hey, I'm not even an Alum, my daughter graduated from LU. I just love college sports and in particular the Mission of the University. I was there at homecoming with my jaw still wired shut. Is Everything perfect there, no. There are humans involved. But God's Mission is perfect and as Peter once said, "where else would I go?".
LU 57, ballcoach15, cruzan_flame13 and 4 others liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:36 am Use my name when joining, I get points for referring new members. :) David Brown.
Flameshaw did club level sellout this year?

Reason I ask is I don't need 6 tickets but I think I have enough points to get them next year (top 100 member). If there's anyone without enough points I might be interested in splitting a membership.
This year's men’s basketball?

I have no interest in a 6' 8 guard or a 7' forward[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.