Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 9:08 am I was told yesterday, "it's not looking good" (something to do with "paperwork".
Generally speaking "paperwork" is not a deal breaker, only a delay. The deal breaker could be in what the paperwork says.
By sstaedtler
I think Holloman is one of the most important players on the roster. We are in desperate need of an outside receiving threat, especially when we go up against Louisiana and some other solid defenses. If Holloman was able to play for FIU last year, I don't get what would hold up him playing for us this year, unless something happened in between?

I literally think he could be the difference between winning or losing 2 games.
jmclaughlin liked this
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
I totally agree, he should make a huge impact. I am curious as to why we are not hearing anything about him. I am hoping no news is good news in this case.
jmclaughlin liked this
By jmclaughlin
sstaedtler wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 9:07 pm I think Holloman is one of the most important players on the roster. We are in desperate need of an outside receiving threat, especially when we go up against Louisiana and some other solid defenses. If Holloman was able to play for FIU last year, I don't get what would hold up him playing for us this year, unless something happened in between?

I literally think he could be the difference between winning or losing 2 games.
100% agree. Losing Yarbrough is huge. If you review key drives & key plays that sustained those drive from last year, almost all consisted of a clutch pitch and catch to #13 on the outside. Our bevy of slot receivers are great but we need a vertical stretch to run the offense effectively. It is cool that Holloman pick Liberty mainly due to his relationship with MW. Chemistry is important when you need a 7 yard out to keep the drive.

I am optimistic that this is just process work / time that needs to be cleared and that we see his name pop up sometime tomorrow when players report.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Could it be too much “excess baggage”. There is a reason why this is his second transfer destination. I expect Daniels and Lofton to fill the void.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
The first thing I think about when I hear the “paperwork” excuse is grades. Wonder if they were banking on some summer classes to come through that didn’t.
By sstaedtler
Jay Hardy, the 4 star DT wasn't there either. I'd like to know why. Holloman is a terrible loss that I think costs us 1-2 games this year.
By LUOrange
ballcoach15 wrote: August 6th, 2021, 1:56 pm It appears that FIU shafted JJ.
That's the impression Freeze gave in the text of the press conference. I'm hoping it's just waiting on the transcripts for Hardy. Bureaucracy is the devil!
By jmclaughlin
Aint that a kick in the pants. This one hurts. The loss of the WR from UNT too!
sstaedtler liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Wonder if they'll tag someone quickly from the transfer portal? Not so crazy to think about :lol: . This is unfortunate but now the veterans need to step up and encourage the rookies/ transfers.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: August 6th, 2021, 2:34 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 6th, 2021, 1:56 pm It appears that FIU shafted JJ.
That's the impression Freeze gave in the text of the press conference. I'm hoping it's just waiting on the transcripts for Hardy. Bureaucracy is the devil!
That's how it looks. There is not much a school can do now to block a player's first time transfer, but apparently after that they can, if they are willing to risk the potential blowback of getting that reputation. I'm not nearly as worried about our WR position as it looks like some here are. We have everyone back but Yarborough, and as talented as he is, he really did not contribute much due to injuries. A healthy Frith and Lofton, and progress from the other guys, and I think we'll be fine.
ballcoach15, LU 57, LUOrange liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 6th, 2021, 10:26 pm This deal might can be summed up in 2 words:

Butch Davis
Everything is a conspiracy theory to you isn’t it? I never heard you say a word about the fact this is the second time in the transfer portal you hypocrite.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Where does JJ go from here? Back to FIU or stays at LU and gives up football.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Technically there’s nothing stopping him from using his final year to play here. He would have to do it with no financial aid since FIU is blocking it. So I’m sure with a degree in hand he’s going to move on. Unless there was a red flag that popped up. We’ll never know. I tend to think there was a red flag that popped up because the NCAA just changed the rules of schools blocking transfers.

As for Hardy, I think he’ll appear there soon.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
He has 2 years of eligibility remaining. I don't claim to know all the details of the new transfer rules, but I don't believe Davis can block him from transferring, just from playing immediately. I think he needs to give him a release for that. I would think JJ's 2 main options would be to go back to FIU or transfer and sit a year, losing that year of eligibility. It may be that Butch suspects HF did something shady, and he might release him to play immediately elsewhere. Blocking is something that was pretty much a dinosaur with the portal, but with the one time transfer rule, it may be that some coaches will start using it again for second transfers. It's somewhat risky, as there are players who may not want to go to a school if the coach has a reputation for it.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Until we know more about the particulars, it's hard to speculate. If it was a straight up, no-transfer, because FIU didn't like it, then yeah, there's no way he's going back to FIU. If it's something more substantive, then it probably remains undisclosed & TBD. But, If he clears, JJH playing here, in the future, still makes a ton of sense for him on many levels. Hugh Freeze for one. HF has had tremendous success with big powerful receivers who are having impactful careers in the pros. Moncrief, Treadwell, and Engram to name a few. DK Metcalf is connected to Hugh as well.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like he couldn't get proof of graduation in time for this year to be a grad transfer from the most recent ASOR article. From Freeze's comments, it doesn't sound like he expects JJ to be on the team next year, but I suppose it's possible.

In today’s game you can’t have more th[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.