If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 28th, 2021, 6:03 pm Satire is not a strength of folks in Waco. If you were to think of one school that probably has the least options of any P5 school it would have to be Baylor or possibly K-State. Ann Richards & Bob Bullock can't rescue them this time.

Speaking of said situation ...

:popcorn
So is this desperation or do you think he's got something on them?

"I am absolutely certain ESPN employees have discussed and provided incentives for at least one conference to raid 3-5 members from the Big 12. In doing so, they are prepared to reward them with future television proceeds. If the conference goes away as an entity, Oklahoma and Texas could be relieved from their exit obligations. Those obligations at this time would include the payment of $70M to $80M -- two years full revenue -- per school and leaving their media rights with the Big 12.

"We're just not going to sit still and let somebody who is supposed to be our partner collaborate and disrupt our business. I know with certainty they are doing it relative to one conference. I suspect they have done the same thing in moving Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC."

For their part, ESPN had a one-sentence response: "The claims in the letter have no merit."

Boy, this is fun! I only care about where my alma mater, Texas Tech, ends up.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... departure/
By Ill flame
rmiller1959 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 9:29 pm
Sly Fox wrote: July 28th, 2021, 6:03 pm Satire is not a strength of folks in Waco. If you were to think of one school that probably has the least options of any P5 school it would have to be Baylor or possibly K-State. Ann Richards & Bob Bullock can't rescue them this time.

Speaking of said situation ...

:popcorn
So is this desperation or do you think he's got something on them?

"I am absolutely certain ESPN employees have discussed and provided incentives for at least one conference to raid 3-5 members from the Big 12. In doing so, they are prepared to reward them with future television proceeds. If the conference goes away as an entity, Oklahoma and Texas could be relieved from their exit obligations. Those obligations at this time would include the payment of $70M to $80M -- two years full revenue -- per school and leaving their media rights with the Big 12.

"We're just not going to sit still and let somebody who is supposed to be our partner collaborate and disrupt our business. I know with certainty they are doing it relative to one conference. I suspect they have done the same thing in moving Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC."

For their part, ESPN had a one-sentence response: "The claims in the letter have no merit."

Boy, this is fun! I only care about where my alma mater, Texas Tech, ends up.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... departure/
I guaranteed there is something to these allegations. ESPN has been manipulating conference realignment for way too long.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Big 12 should let Texas and the Okies go, replace them with Liberty and UCF, and play ball.
Big 12 would then be a better conference overall, and can get back to 🏈🥎⚾️🏀 🏆🏆🏆🏆
LUOrange liked this
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 2:58 am I’m not certain this is going to be a lot of fun for Texas Tech.
I admit that's probably the case, but the fan in me is always guilty of irrational optimism. Let's face it, Texas Tech fans have to be that way! We play exciting high scoring games that we end up losing, wondering how a team can score 50+ points a game and still lose :roll:

My favorite scenario has them, OK State, TCU, and Baylor going to the Pac-12 to retain their Power 5 status, but I honestly think the more likely scenario is that they get swallowed up by the AAC. It's funny - they always complained about being in the shadow of the two large land-grant schools in the state, Texas and Texas A&M. They're finally about to be rid of them, at least on the football field, but it doesn't feel like a win.
JK37 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:13 am Big 12 should let Texas and the Okies go, replace them with Liberty and UCF, and play ball.
Big 12 would then be a better conference overall, and can get back to 🏈🥎⚾️🏀 🏆🏆🏆🏆
So in your world LU and UCF have better Athletic Departments than Texas and Oklahoma? What makes you draw that conclusion?
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:34 am
ballcoach15 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:13 am Big 12 should let Texas and the Okies go, replace them with Liberty and UCF, and play ball.
So in your world LU and UCF have better Athletic Departments than Texas and Oklahoma? What makes you draw that conclusion?
The alternate realities a lot of people live in today are proof of the multiverse theory :lol:
Purple Haize liked this
By BlueBlood
Ill flame wrote: July 29th, 2021, 1:13 am I guaranteed there is something to these allegations. ESPN has been manipulating conference realignment for way too long.
Agree. This could get very interesting. ESPN is a contractual business partner with the B12 and should absolutely be their ally. That said, it undoubtedly financially benefits them to help steer programs to conferences that they fully televise (like the SEC, ACC and AAC) than those that they share media rights on (like the B12, and B10). I'm not sure how dirty their hands are, but I'm pretty certain that they aren't absolutely clean. I think we are about to see if they washed them good or not.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, Bowlsby wasn't complaining about ESPN's meddling when it was creating his league in the first place. The shoe just happens to be on the other foot now.

As for Tech, the odds that the Pac-12 will see the value in the West Texas market necessary to bring them into the fold is rather minute. It is a shame that they didn't get brought in tow by UT & OU in the last daliance with the Pac-12 a decade ago. I have near certainty that any package involving Baylor would be a no go for the Pac-12. They have refused to let in a religious private in Provo who is a better fit than the Bears. Tech's best realistic option is the Big XII retools and remains the clear #5 league with BYU, Cincy, Houston and either Memphis or UCF. I think this will eventually happen but there is still the possibility that Kansas slips away to either Pac-12 or B1G and that could be a death blow for the remainder of the league. Then these AAC raiding the Big XII with ESPN's help would be much more likely. Bsylor, K-State & Iowa State remain with no options outside of prayer at this stage.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Who was last team to win B12 football championship other than Texas or Okies ?
My scenario creates a more balanced conference. I rejoice every time Texas or Okies lose. B12 can still remain a P5 conference, regardless of who stays or goes.(or who enters)

No Texas school should be in PAC 12.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 9:22 am
Who was last team to win B12 football championship other than Texas or Okies ?
My scenario creates a more balanced conference. I rejoice every time Texas or Okies lose. B12 can still remain a P5 conference, regardless of who stays or goes.(or who enters)

No Texas school should be in PAC 12.
LU has never won a National Championship in football.
Still not showing me how LU and UCF are better athletic programs than Texas and OU
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote: July 29th, 2021, 9:01 am For the record, Bowlsby wasn't complaining about ESPN's meddling when it was creating his league in the first place. The shoe just happens to be on the other foot now.

As for Tech, the odds that the Pac-12 will see the value in the West Texas market necessary to bring them into the fold is rather minute. It is a shame that they didn't get brought in tow by UT & OU in the last daliance with the Pac-12 a decade ago. I have near certainty that any package involving Baylor would be a no go for the Pac-12. They have refused to let in a religious private in Provo who is a better fit than the Bears. Tech's best realistic option is the Big XII retools and remains the clear #5 league with BYU, Cincy, Houston and either Memphis or UCF. I think this will eventually happen but there is still the possibility that Kansas slips away to either Pac-12 or B1G and that could be a death blow for the remainder of the league. Then these AAC raiding the Big XII with ESPN's help would be much more likely. Bsylor, K-State & Iowa State remain with no options outside of prayer at this stage.
I get PAC 12 passing on Baylor for “religious private school” but your saying AAC would also pass on them? Interesting. All sports BU is probably the best school - hard to imagine they would pass up or is it the locations for tv or SMU freezing them out ( and if so why wouldn’t SMU also freeze out TCU ). Curious on your thiughts.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If the AAC cannibalized the Big XII aka Little 8 leftovers, I suspect Baylor would be taken. My point was that it is not outlandish to suggest that the Little 8 gets picked over and those three are the ones left behind. They still have CFP & Tourney credits to collect and A5 designation (at least for the tiem being) so they would likely be the ones to raid the AAC. I doubt they would get BYU or Air Force but the eastern schools would certainly be in fair play.

Baylor is an interesting beast. They do not have a passionate fan base in spite of their Big XII-induced success over the past decade. I live in an area surrounded by BU alumni and their national title barely resulted in a lookie there from most of them. Without the allure of competing alongside Texas, Oklahoma and possibly Kansas it will be difficult to get those top tier recruits out of DFW & Houston that have been the building blocks for Drew's success.
By Ill flame
Something to keep in mind. The little 8 plus Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis and UCF would still be a very good conference.

The average F+ rating for the Pac 12 in 2019 (the last normal season) was 52.

The average F+ rating for the ACC was 59.8

The average F+ for the little 8 plus Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis and UCF was 47.4 (I didn't include BYU but they were ranked #2).

Tv money would definitely take a hit but that conference is still no joke.
LUOrange liked this
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
The impact of this realignment and the weakening of the NCAA is not good for college football in general, but I believe the absolute worst casualty as far as non-mega conference schools go, will be the abolishment of the 85 scholarship rule. In 1978 the NCAA reduced the number of scholarships that FBS, (Division 1 then) schools could have to 95. Then, in 1992, the NCAA reduced that number to 85 total football scholarships allowed at any one time. That is where we are at now. This slowed the skyrocketing costs for schools, but more importantly, this leveled the playing field and kept the big money schools for hoarding all the best athletes. Many players were recruited just to keep them from going to a rival and never saw the playing field because of shear numbers.
For example, an All-State tailback at my high school got recruited by UNC in the 70's, even though an all-American was already there. It has been said that UNC just didn't want State to get him. He hardly ever saw the field, but UNC didn't care, they could afford way more than a hundred scholarships.
Steve Logan in the 90's and Hugh Freeze now can say to a recruit, "Do you want to go to Auburn/UNC and be one of many, or come to Liberty/ECU and play sooner and be the BMOC."
The allure of a big school scholarship will seduce many, even though many of those high-mid recruits will never see the field.
If the new alignment weakens the NCAA and the 85 scholarship rule, all schools not in the mega conferences will be screwed.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
With Texas and Oklahoma out of Big 12, the remaining schools should stay , add a couple of schools and play ball. With Texas and Okey gone, other schools will have better opportunity to win. Even though I hate Texas and Okey, they did win a lot of games, in different sports. The playing field will now be more balanced.
By cruzan_flame13
The other BIG 12 schools should wait it out to see if they'll get that buyout. They should also talk to other condolences for now while this exodus [of Texas and OU] is pending.
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote: July 28th, 2021, 8:41 am
ATrain wrote: July 28th, 2021, 8:25 am
alabama24 wrote: July 27th, 2021, 7:38 pm

3-4? That’s what we have now. We HAD 1 along with 2a, 2b, and 2c. We are headed to 1 and nothing OR 1 & 2 (if B10 & ACC figure out some type of reduction/ merger).

I wonder if the SEC pushes out Vandy.
The ACC would take Vandy if the SEC pushed them out, probably before they'd take West Virginia.
I could see them taking both. Apparently there has already been contact between the ACC and WVU. The more I think about it the more I like it! We’d be like the Bad Boys of the ACC. The Oakland Raiders of the ACC! The Delta Tau Chi to the Omega Theta Pi of Tobacco Road. Can you imagine the Cameron Crazies and the Couch Burners going at it?!? Yes please!
Why would the ACC let WVU in when the "prestigious" schools that joined the ACC left WVU out in the 50's? Why would they bring them in the fold now? Only way I could see the ACC consider WVU is if Norte Dame became a full member. If not, the ACC wouldn't need anyone else so quickly. Why create another piece of the pie if they're not getting a better bargain uless ND becomes a full member?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ACC would be stupid to add Notre Dame. The NCAA's favorite child would just add another number in the loss column for most ACC schools.
WV would add nothing to ACC.

Someone needs to stand up and say, " let's get back to education, playing the sport and trying to win".
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 1:43 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 28th, 2021, 8:41 am
ATrain wrote: July 28th, 2021, 8:25 am

The ACC would take Vandy if the SEC pushed them out, probably before they'd take West Virginia.
I could see them taking both. Apparently there has already been contact between the ACC and WVU. The more I think about it the more I like it! We’d be like the Bad Boys of the ACC. The Oakland Raiders of the ACC! The Delta Tau Chi to the Omega Theta Pi of Tobacco Road. Can you imagine the Cameron Crazies and the Couch Burners going at it?!? Yes please!
Why would the ACC let WVU in when the "prestigious" schools that joined the ACC left WVU out in the 50's? Why would they bring them in the fold now? Only way I could see the ACC consider WVU is if Norte Dame became a full member. If not, the ACC wouldn't need anyone else so quickly. Why create another piece of the pie if they're not getting a better bargain uless ND becomes a full member?
Because this is 2021 and not 1950? :dontgetit The dynamics and dollars have changed in the last 70 odd years.
WVU brings a lot to the table athletically. That is really indisputable. And not the reason they’ve been snubbed in the past. Those reasons are becoming less important now which helps WVU’s chances
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 2:24 pm ACC would be stupid to add Notre Dame. The NCAA's favorite child would just add another number in the loss column for most ACC schools.
WV would add nothing to ACC.

Someone needs to stand up and say, " let's get back to education, playing the sport and trying to win".
The more I think about ALL this the less I like it.

https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-footba ... -era-38357

DABO
a break and there will probably be 50-60 teams -- 65 maybe -- that can go compete for the 12- or 16-team-type Playoff setting," he said. "And then the other 60-65 Division I teams that will probably kinda have their own thing. That's probably where it's going, somewhere. I don't know when that's going to happen.
This sounds like an NFL minor league. I can see a day coming when a football players eligibility will only be limited by his age. Universities will sponsor teams much like we sponsor William Byron, Hendrick #24... at least he's an LU student. But how long before that's not even a requirement to play. I can see the only connection between a University and a team being them paying to slap a uniform on them, much like M&M's slaps a sticker on the #18. ESPN, CBS, NBC, ABC, Netflix and Amazon will disperse the money. I really hope I'm wrong, even if we have enough money to take part.
By cruzan_flame13
Money is what is important here; can WVU willingly pay their buyout from the BIG12 as way as Texas or OU? The ACC hasnt really change much or they wouldve taken WVU before they had to go to the BiG East. However, you're right, about one thing about the difference between now and the 1950's. The U.S. dollar actually had something to back up it's value :lol: .
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]