Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Geraldos Mustache
Environment and exposure matters.

Look at today's article on Malik Willis - projected to be a 1st round NFL pick in the 2022 draft.
If someone would have told the Auburn players and coaching staff this back in 2018-2019, they would have laughed.
What changed?

Environment. Exposure.

Willis always had the talent and ability. He needed to get into an environment where he could develop and have an opportunity to see the field and showcase his athleticism. He needed exposure. Something Auburn was not able to give him buried 2nd or 3rd on the QB depth chart. Liberty gave him the environment and exposure to become a 1st round draft pick. Auburn didn't.

Same goes for Zach Rice. Potentially. He might not see the field for a couple years at a P5 school. Liberty can give him the opportunity to play early and often. He wouldn't be a fool to choose Liberty. Was Willis a fool? Who's laughing now?
TH Spangler, rtb72, Dalegarz1 and 2 others liked this
By LoneStar
There is a HUGE difference between Zach Rice and Malik Willis--at the time Willis left Auburn, he had been shuffled down the depth chart and there was no chance he would start for Auburn unless there were multiple injuries to QBs. Liberty provided him an opportunity he was not going to get at Auburn or any other P5 school. Rice will be the player passing older players on the depth chart.

Last year, Rice was the #1 OT prospect and for whatever reason his ranking has dropped to #3 last I checked. He will be starting year 2 at whichever school he goes to if his talent is actually as good as his ranking, of which I have no doubt. He would likely play sooner at Liberty than any P5 school, but in the long run, the competition against P5 DEs week in and week out will be better for his NFL opportunities than playing non-P5 DEs most weeks at Liberty.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have nothing to add to the Zach Rice commentary. I would just like to point out that I live in the birthplace of the Lone Star flag. Charles B. Stewart designed the iconic flag. It is everywhere in my little corner of the Promised Land. Last year during the pandemic down time, I painted the shed at my cabin as a tribute.

The more you know ...
flamehunter liked this
Love that there is a chance. Parsing through Momma's words, you get the impression that this is just a nice formality.
"They are definitely on the rise."
"We want to make the most informed decision possible."

Niceties

However, Hugh can sell the program better than anyone we have ever had.
I think there is also a bit of, "I know you can't decide to come here right now, but if something happens with family health, feel free to give me a call and we can see if we can get you back home"

People can get sick. Players transfer to be close to home all the time. We've benefit from it before too. Keeping that door open could take a stressful time and relieve an additional hurdle.
badger74 liked this
Class of 20Something wrote: July 29th, 2021, 9:23 am I think there is also a bit of, "I know you can't decide to come here right now, but if something happens with family health, feel free to give me a call and we can see if we can get you back home"

People can get sick. Players transfer to be close to home all the time. We've benefit from it before too. Keeping that door open could take a stressful time and relieve an additional hurdle.
Rashad.
Class of 20Something wrote: July 29th, 2021, 9:23 am I think there is also a bit of, "I know you can't decide to come here right now, but if something happens with family health, feel free to give me a call and we can see if we can get you back home"

I feel like the transfer portal will be more considered now (more than usual) since we can collect some great players who are not getting playing time at their P5 schools. I'm sure that was mention at the meeting.
badger74, Sly Fox liked this
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here's the thing tyndal...

The P5s that have a serious shot at the playoffs, even once they expand, aren't going to schedule Liberty because that isn't a game that would move the needle in their favor with the selection committee. The ones who don't but once in a blue moon have playoff aspirations would be hard pressed to schedule Liberty because they want to get wins and keep the boosters somewhat happy. As hard as Ian McCain is working behind the scenes, we aren't going to get 7 even lower level P5 games a year on our schedule. I can see maybe 4 but not 7
By tyndal23
BJWilliams wrote: September 20th, 2021, 12:38 pm Here's the thing tyndal...

The P5s that have a serious shot at the playoffs, even once they expand, aren't going to schedule Liberty because that isn't a game that would move the needle in their favor with the selection committee. The ones who don't but once in a blue moon have playoff aspirations would be hard pressed to schedule Liberty because they want to get wins and keep the boosters somewhat happy. As hard as Ian McCain is working behind the scenes, we aren't going to get 7 even lower level P5 games a year on our schedule. I can see maybe 4 but not 7
Welcome back BJ - missed my spell checker. Not sure what this has to do with Zach Rice but since you brought it up, make a spread sheet with a column of all the P5’s who have a chance to make playoffs, then a column of those who strive to make a bowl, then a column of all of those that need a home $ game of x,y or z. X being an FCs team or auto win, ( a select few refuse to play an FCs and good for them ) Y a team that actually puts a few butts in seats and is potentially a hard fought game, and Z a team that is a toss up - meaning it fills seats and is a tough game and adds to SOS. Then go fill out the non con schedule for all 65 now 69 P5 teams ( ND included ). If you can’t find anyone, then factor in that Liberty can add some $ sauce home savings or road game cash $. I will even concede Liberty has surpassed the x component. So just work with y and z.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
JCS Flames Fan 31 wrote: October 11th, 2021, 10:55 am Big fella commits in 10 days, my gut is he goes to UVA or ND. Would have said UNC a few weeks ago, but their recent lack of success prob takes them out of running. Does HF and LU have a shot at all here??
UNC football is an oxymoron. I can easily see him going to a ND or UVA and returning to the Burg in a year or so. It would be great for him to commit to LU, but not sure that will happen. If I am him, I see it as a major attraction, second only to ND.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]