This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By k9saber
LUAlum1215 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 5:03 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:50 pm I don't think there's a conflict of interest with LUPD, but given they report to Laura Wallace, there's definitely a conflict of interest from her part. She's the wizard behind the curtain in a lot of these instances making sure things get swept under the rug or are handled internally.
I don't remember exactly when it happened, but as of last fall LUPD no longer reports to LW or HR. Ron Sloan is the Vice President of Campus Safety and Security, unless they changed the official title. He is over the PD, Access Control, and Environmental Health and Safety and answers directly to Prevo.

But yes, she's the one holding a lot of puppet strings for sure.
One thing is for certain…very certain. There is a wide swath of “vicarious liability” that will cover many. There won’t be any “plausible deniability” when the curtain is pulled back, nowhere to hide and no one to “scapegoat.”

In the “real world,” when you have a title, there is an expectation of professional competence and responsibilities; the responsibility of the superior for the known acts of their subordinate(s). And in the case of sex crimes investigation, when you don’t have the agency capability/competence to handle them correctly…you defer to those who do, right from the start, i.e. Lynchburg PD.

Welcome to the show, this is where you land when you run for years’ without true oversight & accountability…with “loyalty” being the target attribute.
LUAlum1215 liked this
By LUAlum1215
k9saber wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 1:49 pm
LUAlum1215 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 5:03 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:50 pm I don't think there's a conflict of interest with LUPD, but given they report to Laura Wallace, there's definitely a conflict of interest from her part. She's the wizard behind the curtain in a lot of these instances making sure things get swept under the rug or are handled internally.
I don't remember exactly when it happened, but as of last fall LUPD no longer reports to LW or HR. Ron Sloan is the Vice President of Campus Safety and Security, unless they changed the official title. He is over the PD, Access Control, and Environmental Health and Safety and answers directly to Prevo.

But yes, she's the one holding a lot of puppet strings for sure.
One thing is for certain…very certain. There is a wide swath of “vicarious liability” that will cover many. There won’t be any “plausible deniability” when the curtain is pulled back, nowhere to hide and no one to “scapegoat.”

In the “real world,” when you have a title, there is an expectation of professional competence and responsibilities; the responsibility of the superior for the known acts of their subordinate(s). And in the case of sex crimes investigation, when you don’t have the agency capability/competence to handle them correctly…you defer to those who do, right from the start, i.e. Lynchburg PD.

Welcome to the show, this is where you land when you run for years’ without true oversight & accountability…with “loyalty” being the target attribute.
I don't disagree with you at all on that. If any current employee has any shared responsibility for mishandling or covering up these incidents (and I'm sure there are more than one or two), regardless of department within the university, I hope they are uncovered and removed. Loyalty should only go as far as morally and ethically acceptable. Unfortunately, it sounds that has not been the modus operandi at all times over the last 25-30 years.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 7:58 am It was nice to not have every thread turn into an end times doomsday thread for a while. It was a nice run!

All joking aside, I have no idea what Christ's return has to do with this lawsuit and how the school deals with things like sexual assault. I'd imagine that we should still pursue truth and I'd imagine that is what Christ himself would want.
My point exactly.
thepostman liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
There are correlations between the two. Both are colossal unknowns. Rather than focus on more meaningful things, we get lost in conjecture & delude ourselves into certainty. Time will tell.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Possibly. It's also possible that it won't reveal much. Either way, expect more smears and lawsuits. Junior's public display of personal recklessness, inept leadership, and unprofessional conduct makes LU very vulnerable. Sharks sense blood. It's what they do. But it will run its course eventually. And perhaps the picture will be a little clearer then.
LUOrange, sstaedtler liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: July 28th, 2021, 6:33 pm Possibly. It's also possible that it won't reveal much. Either way, expect more smears and lawsuits. Junior's public display of personal recklessness, inept leadership, and unprofessional conduct makes LU very vulnerable. Sharks sense blood. It's what they do. But it will run its course eventually. And perhaps the picture will be a little clearer then.
You just broke some hearts you know. :D
LUOrange, sstaedtler liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: July 28th, 2021, 6:33 pm Possibly. It's also possible that it won't reveal much. Either way, expect more smears and lawsuits. Junior's public display of personal recklessness, inept leadership, and unprofessional conduct makes LU very vulnerable. Sharks sense blood. It's what they do. But it will run its course eventually. And perhaps the picture will be a little clearer then.
The first part of what you say is absolutely true. And that alone should warrant sole scrutiny. But as we saw a little with GC Catherine critics will over play their hand and take something that should have everyone on the same page and make it a divider
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
FYI: If you're talking about alias Kathy, her claim takes a pretty serious hit on the Roys interview. She acknowledged that her story actually evolved over time. She indicated over months.
Purple Haize liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: July 28th, 2021, 7:31 pm
You just broke some hearts you know. :D
Heartbreaker!
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
That one’s a big nothing burger. They’re on private property after hours, so the officer has every right to ask for his ID here. The no trespassing signs are clearly posted. Dude should have shown his ID and would have been on his way. He wanted to make a stand out of it and got himself arrested. Lots of outrage on FB from people who don’t understand the law.

Also, watch the video. The officer’s knee is “near his neck,” aka not even touching him.
badger74, rtb72 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
And here we go. Losing focus on the main thing.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 30th, 2021, 8:35 pm I'd argue our school's president is the one doing that.
That’s the point. Focus on that
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The locals will do what they do and latch onto any negative LU news and fill up the comment sections. It's what they've done for years. Our own LU community would rather put their collective heads in the sand and act like nothing is happening. Prevo is up in Alaska enjoying the summer and nothing is changing.
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Audits and investigations need to move along faster. Can’t hire new long-term leadership until that’s done, because no viable leader would dare enter LU until that all got cleaned up. I fear the lawsuit just prolongs that.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Update from faculty orientation:

The messaging from Prevo and Lamb is “PR Issues.” Still minimizing and deflecting. “PR issues” makes it easier to blame the media for reporting the issues rather than taking responsibility for the issues they are reporting on.

*also* Prevo’s focus is on “putting things behind me and moving ahead,” using scripture to justify it.
By rtb72
stokesjokes wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:56 am Update from faculty orientation:

The messaging from Prevo and Lamb is “PR Issues.” Still minimizing and deflecting. “PR issues” makes it easier to blame the media for reporting the issues rather than taking responsibility for the issues they are reporting on.

*also* Prevo’s focus is on “putting things behind me and moving ahead,” using scripture to justify it.
Hmmm....doesn't this sound like someone else we know?
ballcoach15 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I mean, everyone who has ever quoted scripture has probably done it to serve their own purposes at one point or another :lol:
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]