If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
flameshaw wrote: July 24th, 2021, 9:32 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 24th, 2021, 8:55 pm People going wild on this!

Looks pretty cool. Not sure we are ready for that yet, but would welcome the opportunity. Where are you seeing this?
Just talks from sports writer(I believe he's freelance) of BYU sports. I wouldn't take any of this as legitimate, but it's fun to discuss and have folks quarrel about it (especially Liberty being involved in anything).
flameshaw liked this
By Ill flame
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 24th, 2021, 8:55 pm People going wild on this!

This would be great for us but that travel would be brutal for Olympic sports. I would probably have Cincinnati and Memphis trade pods

I hope we have a dominate season with near sellout crowds so we have more leverage when it comes to this round of realignment. Right now it's just nice to be mentioned.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Let me quibble a bit with pod names ... there is nothing mountaineous about the State of Kansas. The state of Oklahoma is nowhere close to the Midwest. And I guess Memphis is east of the Mississippi. Barely.
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote: July 24th, 2021, 10:53 pm Let me quibble a bit with pod names ... there is nothing mountaineous about the State of Kansas. The state of Oklahoma is nowhere close to the Midwest. And I guess Memphis is east of the Mississippi. Barely.
Brought to you by TNT Sports ...ha!
By cruzan_flame13
Sly Fox wrote: July 24th, 2021, 10:53 pm Let me quibble a bit with pod names ... there is nothing mountaineous about the State of Kansas. The state of Oklahoma is nowhere close to the Midwest. And I guess Memphis is east of the Mississippi. Barely.
This is true Sly. We can switch both Kansas teams with Oklahoma teams since there's mountains there 8) :lol:
By tyndal23
My take on today’s forecast ( and we all want to sound smart when no one has a clue which way this thing really finalizes ) is that we have a sliver in time, narrow window to push some major cash forward to get ourselves in the next tier with some master Jedi AD work from Ian - ( the man already deserves a quadruple of his current salary). The. Big 12 has a 20% chance of surviving with 4-6 original teams remaining and grabbing top G5 teams and going 16-20 teams ( as outlined above ) BUT it will be a HULU or Amazon that steps in to make it work. Not your traditional cable package. If schools can package their own broadcasts ( like LU does a great job of ) to eliminate broadcast talent costs, there is a model that is lucrative for streaming for all parties. And I could see a TNT / Amazon combo type deal happening. ESPN made a lot of bad long term contracts trying to corner the market.
By cruzan_flame13
tyndal23 wrote: July 24th, 2021, 11:57 pm My take on today’s forecast ( and we all want to sound smart when no one has a clue which way this thing really finalizes ) is that we have a sliver in time, narrow window to push some major cash forward to get ourselves in the next tier with some master Jedi AD work from Ian - ( the man already deserves a quadruple of his current salary). The. Big 12 has a 20% chance of surviving with 4-6 original teams remaining and grabbing top G5 teams and going 16-20 teams ( as outlined above ) BUT it will be a HULU or Amazon that steps in to make it work. Not your traditional cable package. If schools can package their own broadcasts ( like LU does a great job of ) to eliminate broadcast talent costs, there is a model that is lucrative for streaming for all parties. And I could see a TNT / Amazon combo type deal happening. ESPN made a lot of bad long term contracts trying to corner the market.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: July 24th, 2021, 3:14 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 24th, 2021, 1:04 pm WVU will move the needle some. It has a more National following than a Boston College or a Wake Forest.
Because everyone wants to get the heck out of Morgantown after they graduate and try to get a job out of state.
Just like spreading the Gospel!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Let’s not forget: any team brought into a conference has to bring with it more cash than the current share per team. Adding a team means a smaller piece of the pie for everyone. UNLESS the team coming in brings a piece bigger than the current individual pieces of others.

That’s the last reason - even a money reason - I think WVU is in trouble. Renewed rivalries look good - for WVU. I think the fans would be fine with it. Maybe even coaches and some AD’s. But not all AD’s, and definitely not all presidents.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 24th, 2021, 9:13 pm BC, Pittsburgh nor Syracuse belongs in ACC. Same for UConn. These schools are too far north.
Does Ballcoach think that the "Atlantic Coast" stops at the Mason-Dixon line? Somebody needs to buy him at atlas. :fineprint
LUOrange, Ill flame, ATrain and 2 others liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Add MARSHALL to that conference, and I'd be thrilled! :pbjtime
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
As a kid, I could never understand why Maryland was in ACC.
I heard a lot of chatter about Notre Dame joining ACC for football. I hope this doesn't happen. Every school in conference should fight this. Only conference that ND belongs in is Little 10.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Remember when over a year ago people were saying the monetary and budgetary effects of the pandemic would return us to more regional competition in intercollegiate athletics? Oh, for the good old days.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Everyone keeps saying they doubt the Big 12 survives this. I have no insider information but I'd bet money they do. I think the easiest thing for them to do is raid the AAC and maybe add BYU.

That's the most likely scenario to me. And we see a trickle down exactly like we did last time during realignment.

I will add that I don't see us in a new conference when all this is done shaking out (not for the next 3 years at least). We're now too good for the Sun Belt and C-USA and the AAC will look only slightly better than them when all is said and done. Even then I don't think we get an AAC invite.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jack McGuire Barstool Sports and producer of popular Unnecessary Roughness college football podcast is reporting that the Southeastern Conference is in “serious contact” with Michigan and Ohio State about joining the league.

Going to 20 teams.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Why don’t the top 64+ teams band together, their own exclusive TV deal, break I to regional conferences for scheduling, and split the deal evenly among them all?

Nope, fairness is not alive and well in competitive athletics. It’s everyone for themselves.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: July 25th, 2021, 2:59 am Let’s not forget: any team brought into a conference has to bring with it more cash than the current share per team. Adding a team means a smaller piece of the pie for everyone. UNLESS the team coming in brings a piece bigger than the current individual pieces of others.

That’s the last reason - even a money reason - I think WVU is in trouble. Renewed rivalries look good - for WVU. I think the fans would be fine with it. Maybe even coaches and some AD’s. But not all AD’s, and definitely not all presidents.
Cash how? Fan base? Endowment? There’s a substantial fan base which will be eyeballs on TV’s. WVU travel Wells which is better in the rivalries listed.
Budget is probably competitive. Certainly not the highest but not the lowest
It’s just the snob factor IMO
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: July 25th, 2021, 9:50 am Why don’t the top 64+ teams band together, their own exclusive TV deal, break I to regional conferences for scheduling, and split the deal evenly among them all?

Nope, fairness is not alive and well in competitive athletics. It’s everyone for themselves.
Someone has been predicting that for a few years. It’s the most logical conclusion
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 25th, 2021, 1:05 pm I just hope someday, sports will get back to playing the game and winning championships, instead of $$$$$$$$$$$$
You do understand it’s always been about money and fame, right?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 24th, 2021, 7:53 pm I read a couple of acc schools might be headed for the sec. VA tech has been mentioned for several years. I wonder if nows the time?
1. The time for VA Tech to the SEC was in the last round of realignment, when Tech was still winning 10 football games a year, and the Big XII was on the verge of collapse w/ 4 schools flirting with the Pac-whatever number it was. NC State was the other target.

2. Tennessee doesn't want VT in the SEC, and VT's football program is not what it was. If any ACC school heads to the SEC, it'll be one or more of Clemson, Florida State, Miami, or NC State in an attempt to get out of the shadow of UNC and Duke.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Umm, Oklahoma is RIGHT NEXT TO the Midwest according to the Census Bureau: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 25th, 2021, 2:21 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: July 25th, 2021, 1:05 pm I just hope someday, sports will get back to playing the game and winning championships, instead of $$$$$$$$$$$$
You do understand it’s always been about money and fame, right?
You do understand that ballcoach doesn't understand how the world works, right?
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]