This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote: June 21st, 2021, 2:45 pmBetter be better than Zaxbys
How is that even possible??? :dontgetit
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
We had about 15 LU students stay at the house this weekend. For some reason, my boys thought everyone needed to go to Slim Chickens. They tried it and loved it. Anecdotal, but it's popular around here.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It started right there in Fayetteville. It has primarily been in states surrounding Arkansas until this past year. They started pushing regional franchisees pretty hard. Back in January of this year, some investors in Charlotte pulled financing together to become the franchisee for Virgina & the Carolinas. I have looked into the founders and primary investors in the chain, 10 Point Capital, and can't locate any direction connections to LU or the board. But I admit that the selection of Slim Chickens over Chick-fil-a for an on-campus location does seem like a curious decision by the university. Hmmmm
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Food service agreements are often quite different from typical franchise agreements- possibly why there is no mention on their site. Slim Chickens has been in the Sodexo portfolio for a few years.
flamehunter liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
This is a thread about LU construction on a LU message board. I can see why a new place on campus would spark more conversation than the college world series.

Plus YOU asked the question ballcoach! :lol:
ATrain liked this
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 2:57 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 1:32 pm Only on ASOR can a Slim Chicken get more attention than the College World Series.
You say that like it’s a bad thing :wink:
I've asked you to stop quoting ball coach.

But since you did and I saw what he said:

Liberty is not in the College World Series.

Slim Chicken is being built on Liberty's campus.

This is a Liberty message board.

It doesn't take much in terms of reasoning skills to understand why one is getting more attention than the other.

Edit: Posty beat me to it.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: June 21st, 2021, 8:03 pm It started right there in Fayetteville. It has primarily been in states surrounding Arkansas until this past year. They started pushing regional franchisees pretty hard. Back in January of this year, some investors in Charlotte pulled financing together to become the franchisee for Virgina & the Carolinas. I have looked into the founders and primary investors in the chain, 10 Point Capital, and can't locate any direction connections to LU or the board. But I admit that the selection of Slim Chickens over Chick-fil-a for an on-campus location does seem like a curious decision by the university. Hmmmm
They needed something to be open on Sundays for the after church crowd
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 4:32 pm
Purple Haize wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 2:57 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 1:32 pm Only on ASOR can a Slim Chicken get more attention than the College World Series.
You say that like it’s a bad thing :wink:
I've asked you to stop quoting ball coach.

But since you did and I saw what he said:

Liberty is not in the College World Series.

Slim Chicken is being built on Liberty's campus.

This is a Liberty message board.

It doesn't take much in terms of reasoning skills to understand why one is getting more attention than the other.

Edit: Posty beat me to it.
I do it to torture you :D Plus if you don’t quote him he doesn’t know you’re talking to him :D :D
Cider Jim wrote: June 21st, 2021, 2:55 pm
badger74 wrote: June 21st, 2021, 2:45 pmBetter be better than Zaxbys
How is that even possible??? :dontgetit
Cooking their chicken is a pretty low bar. I've never had Zaxbys cook their chicken through. Even with taking the raw meat back and asking for a replacement I still got raw chicken.
By rtb72
We generally get Zaxbys or Chic fil A from Wards Rd when tailgating. Never had an issue with Zaxbys in Lynchburg. To my chagrin....my wife prefers their strips over C fil A :(
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: July 7th, 2021, 9:08 am I've never had Zaxbys cook their chicken through. Even with taking the raw meat back and asking for a replacement I still got raw chicken.
I had that exact experience at the Zaxby's in Forest that is now closed where a Hardee's is now. I was so excited when they moved to Forest and took my wife their for wings. When she cut into them, they were so undercooked that they were bloody. When I took them back, they gave me more bloody, undercooked wings. I asked the manager if they came out of the same fry basket as my first wings, and he said "yes." I explained to to the manager that if some chicken was undercooked in a fry basket, then it was likely that ALL the chicken would be undercooked the same fry basket, since all the pieces were "cooked" the same amount of time. The 20-something manager gave me this dumbfounded look of unbelief and a gift certificate, but I never went back.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think they expanded it slightly towards the end of my time. I graduated in '08 but it was quickly too small. So this project is long overdue.

The real question is, will students still call it The Rot? It has really stuck long after Sodexo took over management of it.
By cruzan_flame13
stokesjokes wrote: July 13th, 2021, 2:26 pm This should have been the first project they did. The Rot was too small 15 years ago when I was a student, I can’t imagine what it’s like now.
It's good for now. If the campus ever expanded to the back of East Campus and/or where Candlers Mountain shopping center, then they should add a smaller cafe to balance the increase in population (if it ever happens).
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: July 13th, 2021, 2:35 pm People do still call it The Rot. Was talking about it with some students this weekend.
Yeah, I know they still call if that. I'd be curious to seec if the name sticks when the new place opens.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]