If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
This class has ballooned to 4 commits. Is this the best class in Liberty MBB history?

DJ Moore
Bryson Spell
Joseph Venzant
Brody Peebles

Obviously only time will tell with performance, but in terms of hype and projections, is there a class that competes with this one?
ballcoach15 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
As far as hype and projection--the top distinctions belong to anything Mel Hankinson related.

Real talent-wise, Curry-Sanders comes to mind. As does, Cabbil-Homesley. Layer was involved w/CH, but they were in the same class.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The Spring signing period began last week, so there is nothing I know of preventing Spell from signing any time now. Moore's re-classification could possibly delay things a bit there. He may need to show proof that he can meet the eligibility requirements in time to enroll in the Fall.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ditto. 8)

While the hype about Brody Peebles is totally deserved, we should not be surprised if we see Venzant make a bigger immediate impact. Brody's natural role on the court is similar to McGhee's and I doubt they will play much together. Joseph, on the other hand, can slide into the role vacated by Cuff's departure. Of course he will have to earn it, with McDowell, Jackson and Warfield all options in that slot.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The only question that remains is how will he hold up against bigger, stronger, quicker defenders. I'm sure he's in a gym somewhere right now doing just that--challenging himself against high-end defenders. So, the potential is there; we'll see.
Last edited by paradox on May 3rd, 2022, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
A couple clarifications: I believe that John Paul II with the Saints on their jersey. One of their kids signed with A&M and the another on same team signed with Texas Tech. Midland Christian plays all the largest schools in West Texas preseason and the competition in the playoffs is legit. Some of the highlights are against larger Christian schools where some kids are overmatched. No question. But he was matched up against high major players regularly during the entrety of the season.

I am loving the Harden Step-Back he added since his Junior Highlights.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Issac McBride ended up transferring to Oral Roberts. Hopefully he has found a home there. This will be his third school, and he still has a full 4 years, but if I understand correctly, even with the liberalized new rules, if he transfers again he will have to sit a year, and that year would count against his remaining eligibility.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
The latest men’s hoops IG post features some nice clips of Venzant scoring in traffic. I think we might see him early and often. I’m also excited to see the impact that can have on McGhee’s game where he can play more off-ball against less pressure.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, McGhee is much better off the ball and I think this year he will reach new levels. I am looking forward to seeing that.

Also have a full new Liberty Arena will be a nice touch
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Being in the backcourt with Peebles should relieve some of that pressure on McGhee. What Parker brought to the table was mostly poise and maturity. However, he did have some pretty glaring flaws in his game. Peebles looks pretty polished and crafty in the paint. That looks like an upgrade there.
thepostman liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We'll see. I think it's premature at this point to think Dobbs will not be getting the lion's share of the back court minutes alongside McGhee. Ritchie REALLY likes having a true PG on the court at all times. There were very few minutes last year when Parker and Dobbs were both on the bench. Maybe Peebles can be that, but let's face it. He scored over 3000 points in HS and was the leading scorer in pretty much every AAU event he played in. Hard to believe he will suddenly become a "pass first" PG.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 8:44 am We'll see. I think it's premature at this point to think Dobbs will not be getting the lion's share of the back court minutes alongside McGhee. Ritchie REALLY likes having a true PG on the court at all times. There were very few minutes last year when Parker and Dobbs were both on the bench. Maybe Peebles can be that, but let's face it. He scored over 3000 points in HS and was the leading scorer in pretty much every AAU event he played in. Hard to believe he will suddenly become a "pass first" PG.
Who says that we even need a pass-first guy? A scoring PG who creates for himself and others is most coveted. That all remains to be seen. But that would be what McKay thinks he sees in this kid. Ritchie anticipates that he has two high-end players with McGhee and Peebles. So, Peebles is here to play...now. That would be the expectation.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
McKay likes having a guy out there to stabilize the offense and make sure we are running our stuff. It’s a must with how deliberate we play on offense. Dobbs may not be a stats guy but he’s the best on the team for that role.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I've never met a great scorer who wasn't capable of being a playmaker. So, the two are not mutually exclusive. It depends on the player. He's not Blair. He's a team guy. We should be fine. Darius and Brody can both lead. Should compliment one another nicely. They'll play off one another and strive to do what's in the best interest of the team. That potential is there with both.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]