This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: May 24th, 2021, 4:42 pm Seems like y'all aren't willing to give due credit. Have we forgotten that Liberty has a DO program on the mountain? Literally an entire building dedicated to no just medical doctors, but Osteopathic Medicine. That's your typical, Jack of all trades, annual checkup doctor.

Did we forget the business school? Truly one of my favorite buildings to look at on campus?

What about finally bringing the school of divinity back to main campus? And the scriptorium to go with it?

The science hall? Music Hall? The Library? And ultimately, the most underrated is Montview. Montview was built in response to a notice insufficiency of study locations in the JFL during finals week.

Yes, we still have a lot to do with engineering and nursing. And that will happen sooner than later with the physical state of Demoss. But we really have a hard time praising what has been done academically.

Let's also not overlook accreditation for online programs as well. Namely the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program being certified CACREP was massive achievement. There are about 50 online CACREP programs and only a hand full at D1 universities.
You’re not wrong, plenty of credit for those things. It’s obviously a complicated issue and it’s hard to speculate about what drives the decisions. It certainly doesn’t look good to put academic construction on an indefinite hold while going forward with what seems like a pretty trivial athletics building.

Let’s also not forget that during the time period where those accomplishments were being made the philosophy department was dissolved and the divinity school gutted.
By Jonathan Carone
I think 20something is right that we can’t overlook those facility investments.

That said, I can’t said leadership cares about academics as much as the other things - especially Athletics - when they don’t invest in the programs and people within academics. If they cared equally, we’d have the top professors getting paid top dollar while having all the resources they need. Instead, we made “business” decisions about the school of divinity and philosophy departments, two areas the world’s largest Christian university should be leading the way in investing in.

Instead of investing in the best and the brightest we spent tens of millions of dollars on Falkirk.

Instead of valuing the level of education in the online school we did whatever we could to get as many people enrolled as possible.

There has been a lot of good happen academically, but I’d argue it was in the pursuit of notoriety more so than actually caring about being great academically.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: May 24th, 2021, 4:42 pm Seems like y'all aren't willing to give due credit. Have we forgotten that Liberty has a DO program on the mountain? Literally an entire building dedicated to no just medical doctors, but Osteopathic Medicine. That's your typical, Jack of all trades, annual checkup doctor.

Did we forget the business school? Truly one of my favorite buildings to look at on campus?

What about finally bringing the school of divinity back to main campus? And the scriptorium to go with it?

The science hall? Music Hall? The Library? And ultimately, the most underrated is Montview. Montview was built in response to a notice insufficiency of study locations in the JFL during finals week.

Yes, we still have a lot to do with engineering and nursing. And that will happen sooner than later with the physical state of Demoss. But we really have a hard time praising what has been done academically.

Let's also not overlook accreditation for online programs as well. Namely the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program being certified CACREP was massive achievement. There are about 50 online CACREP programs and only a hand full at D1 universities.
I believe the Med School got a large windfall from the state. I think many have praised all the new campus structures and look. But for every new academic building there was a large athletic facility expansion too. Most good schools would have a much higher ratio of academic to athletic facilities. Right now the athletic facilities would make most Big Ten schools proud. Academics--not so much. But much improved.
rogers3 liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote: May 24th, 2021, 8:13 pm

I believe the Med School got a large windfall from the state. I think many have praised all the new campus structures and look. But for every new academic building there was a large athletic facility expansion too. Most good schools would have a much higher ratio of academic to athletic facilities. Right now the athletic facilities would make most Big Ten schools proud. Academics--not so much. But much improved.
I believe badger represents what many outsiders see... maybe even a bit softer. I'm hoping to see bigger commitments to our academics and some respect for the unsung heroes of the school, the faculty. Having spent quite a few years at LU, my memories of great faculty far outweigh any sport achievements- though that record breaking comeback by Delaware State still makes me wince!
Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that the investment slider has certainly been heavier to the athletics side. But I think we have to have the conversation on an accurate basis of the development that has occured.

I can understand the issues with seeing LUO as a business and not an academic institution, but it should also be noted that LUO likely financed nearly all of the physical campus renovations over the past decade. Without the crudeness of strategy, we wouldn't have the physical foundation to build on. Perhaps we didn't put the cart before the horse, but rather have been building the cart. Either way, It does seem prudent to get the horse in front right now.

Some of what I am hearing to try and congregate the community thoughts.
Academically invest in;
- Engineering
- Nursing
- Philosophy
- Divinity
- Research (STEM)
- Faculty (exploring tenure and aggressively acquiring desired staff)
What else?

I'd like to see more articles(or maybe digital media) about what existing research is doing. Reading about the helmet research from the school of engineering was really fascinating.
badger74 liked this
By Jonathan Carone
Class of 20Something wrote: May 25th, 2021, 9:00 am - Faculty (exploring tenure and aggressively acquiring desired staff)
This is the biggest thing for me. We can build buildings all we want, but our faculty needs to be top notch. And the top notch professors we already have need to be compensated as such. We have the money. We just don't value the people.

I don't know that tenure is the solution, but great professors need to have more job security than year to year.
LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
My main issue has to do with the compensation piece than buildings. We continue to see the money flow into athletics and the faculty and staff still aren't compensated competitively.

The buildings we have are nice but they are simply window dressing. Compensation has always been lagging because "it is a ministry".

If it is Christian, it ought to be better.
LUOrange, rtb72, ATrain liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 20th, 2021, 8:26 pm More BKs and Seafood places.
Ballcoach, we need to go to Crab du Jour sometime. I've even got a gift card.
ballcoach15 liked this

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.