If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
Sounds like the Southland is trying to decimate the swac now and form a very Louisiana centric conference. I just wanna see less super conferences and more geographically compact/rivalry heavy conferences. Unfortunately those days are mostly over.
phoenix liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 12th, 2021, 9:12 pm Liberty vs ACC 20-21 season

Football 2-1
Softball. 5-1
Baseball 7-3
14-5 overall
LU Quiz Bowl had 8 wins against the ACC.
LU 57, ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Rumor from a sometimes ASOR poster who is the primary source of Sam Houston info:
TexasTerror wrote:The "latest gossip" is that Austin Peay and West Florida will be invited to join the ASUN.

I am not sure if that is to be believed but certainly West Florida makes sense with their old GSC contemporaries and being in a east division with Kennesaw State, Liberty, Jacksonville, North Florida, Stetson and Florida Gulf Coast is probably to their liking for non-football sports.

For Austin Peay, the alignment with Jacksonville State, North Alabama, Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas, Lipscomb and Bellarmine is pretty ideal for their setup. Several old OVC rivals.

ASUN football would be Kennesaw, Jacksonville State, Austin Peay, West Florida, North Alabama, Eastern Kentucky and Central Arkansas. Not a bad league at all!
Click Here for Source

I have heard speculation about Austin Peay for some tme now. But the West Florida talk is new. They had been mentioned as possible Big South target over the years.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 6th, 2021, 5:17 pm Rumor from a sometimes ASOR poster who is the primary source of Sam Houston info:
TexasTerror wrote:The "latest gossip" is that Austin Peay and West Florida will be invited to join the ASUN.

I am not sure if that is to be believed but certainly West Florida makes sense with their old GSC contemporaries and being in a east division with Kennesaw State, Liberty, Jacksonville, North Florida, Stetson and Florida Gulf Coast is probably to their liking for non-football sports.

For Austin Peay, the alignment with Jacksonville State, North Alabama, Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas, Lipscomb and Bellarmine is pretty ideal for their setup. Several old OVC rivals.

ASUN football would be Kennesaw, Jacksonville State, Austin Peay, West Florida, North Alabama, Eastern Kentucky and Central Arkansas. Not a bad league at all!
Click Here for Source

I have heard speculation about Austin Peay for some tme now. But the West Florida talk is new. They had been mentioned as possible Big South target over the years.
West Florida may not be interested in traveling to Virginia/the Carolinas for all their sports. I imagine the Big South will try to poach more of the MEAC for any new football or all-sport members.
By Ill flame
Austin peay would be a solid pick up but west Florida would be a wild card. They've had incredible football success in that programs short history but will that continue at the next level? They've also had limited basketball success which makes me wonder where the asuns priorities are moving forward.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: July 7th, 2021, 12:13 am Austin peay would be a solid pick up but west Florida would be a wild card. They've had incredible football success in that programs short history but will that continue at the next level? They've also had limited basketball success which makes me wonder where the asuns priorities are moving forward.
True in so many ways about W Florida. Didn't play football at all last year, but were D2 National champions the year before. As far as other sports are concerned, they will be in the same situation as N Bama and Bellermine were entering the ASUN. Eligible for conference championships, but not NCAA bids.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: July 7th, 2021, 12:13 am Austin peay would be a solid pick up but west Florida would be a wild card. They've had incredible football success in that programs short history but will that continue at the next level? They've also had limited basketball success which makes me wonder where the asuns priorities are moving forward.
The ASUN has always been a landing spot for schools in the Southeast to move up from Division II to Division I. Just the way its kinda always operated.
By Longshots
SEC should take OU and UT and send Mizzu back to the Big12.

Then, each year the loser of the Egg Bowl is out too. No reason for two Mississippi schools to be in the SEC. Little relegation action never hurt anyone.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 21st, 2021, 4:05 pm Texas and Oklahoma have reportedly reached out to SEC about joining the conference, according to the Houston Chronicle

Popped up on my fb timeline.
Well if Texas wants to get beaten up by Alabama every year, let them
ballcoach15, alabama24 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Just for a little charter, whatwould be an interesting trade is if OU/TEX moves to SEC. ACC takes West Virginia and maybe ISU and the PAC takes KSU, OSU and maybe TCU or Baylor. AAC would get a little gitty if they can get TCU(who should sort of be used to this since they were in the MW conference back then) and Texas Tech. The era of the super conference will arrive! :lol:
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 21st, 2021, 5:12 pm Just for a little charter, whatwould be an interesting trade is if OU/TEX moves to SEC. ACC takes West Virginia and maybe ISU and the PAC takes KSU, OSU and maybe TCU or Baylor. AAC would get a little gitty if they can get TCU(who should sort of be used to this since they were in the MW conference back then) and Texas Tech. The era of the super conference will arrive! :lol:
If the ACC takes anyone, it'll be Kansas. I can see Louisville going to the Big12 and the ACC letting in UConn, a school that puts pads on random dudes and says it has a football team just to fit in with the rest of the big name athletic departments.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Making a connection here in Denver when I saw the news hit my phone. Coincidentally I was traveling with one of my colleagues who works part-time for the Texas Athletic Department. His first reaction was confusion. This news doesn't jive with everything he has heard inside the the Athletic Department the past few months.

I know the guy who broke the news for the Houston Chronicle. He is like a 3rd or 4th-generation Aggie who has covered the team for decades at several news outlets. He is maroon to the bone which I suspect may have led to the way he opened the rumor.

So let's break down what is being speculated. Do I think Texas reached out to the SEC with OU in tow to express interest in the league? Not at all. The vast majority of the SEC are not even close to academic peers of UT. If they do wind up in the SEC it will be with the academic folks in Austin pitching a fit and holding their noses. Texas has always been more academically aligned with the B1G, Pac-12 and to a lesser extent the ACC. That is why there was that much rumored daliance with the Pac-12 during the last realignment.

Do I think it is possible that Oklahoma may have sent feelers out to the SEC to judge interest if they brought the Horns along for the ride? Oh yeah, that is probable. But I suspect they did the same thing to the B1G. As an AAU member, OU would be one of the few targets the B1G would consider outside of Texas & Notre Dame. Is Oklahoma frustrated with the Big XII? They certainly have been vocal about it for years. But I would have expected the 12-playoff proposal might have dampened their enthusiasm to bolt since they would have a much higher chance of getting into the playoffs via the weaker Big XII than the stacked SEC. That i what makes the timing so curious. The Big XII tried to jump ahead of the SEC to negotiate an extension to keep the Horns & Land Thieves happy but ESPN sadi thanks but no thanks just a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps that is the impetus.

Hypothetically if UT & OU joined a 16-team SEC the western division would look very familiar to Texas with former SWC foes A&M, Arkansas & once upon a time LSU as well as former Big XII mate Mizzou:

Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi State
Missouri
Oklahoma
Ole Miss
Texas
Texas A&M

It would also move Alabama & Auburn over to the East with their more traditional rivals. That is intriguing.

I still see one of two likely options for Texas regardless of what Oklahoma decides: Big XII or Indy. If they stay in the Big XII where they are quite comfy they continue to get their outsized paycheck that is roughly the same as an SEC school. But they would have perhaos the easiest path to the playoff of any team in America. If they chose to go Indy, they could arrange an ND-style arrangement possibly with the ACC that would end up with Texas still play at eight game sin the state of Texas primarily at home or neutral sites. Both are attractive to leadership in Austin.

A Horns & Sooners move to the SEC would be devastating to A&M which has used its SEC membership as its differentiator to UT & OU in recruiting. I doubt they would have enough sway to stop it but I don't expect it to come down to that decision. The SEC covets both teams above all else.

Anything can happen! And if it did, the dominoes would start falling in a number different ways. Nebraska only was let into the B1G based on thei AAU status ... which they promptly lost just after admission to the league. They have made no friends since joining if they were interested in letting them walk back to a Texas-less Big XII the league wouldn't stand in their way. In fact they likely would celebrate their departure.

If the Big XII backfilled with Houston & UCF as expected, that would open up opportunity in the AAC and it is not crazy talk that we could be in contention. Remember that the Top 6 conference champions will get those auto bids once the 12-Team Playoff gets underway.
LUOrange, LU 57, Ill flame and 2 others liked this
By Ill flame
[

It looks like it's more than a rumor. I guarantee those two schools have also contacted the B1G and the two conferences are recruiting hard. If they go to the SEC I'm curious if Mizzou tries to go to the B1G. They also want no part of being in a conference with Texas and were initially wanting the big ten over the SEC in the first place. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Mizzou and Kansas to join the big ten in this scenario.
This year's men’s basketball?

Lol. Too white?

NMSU

Who is this mystery man?

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.