If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Only Notre Dame can be considered P5 without actually being in P5 conference.

If we played 3 SEC schools and 2 ACC every year and won them all, we would not be looked at as P5.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 2:09 pm Only Notre Dame can be considered P5 without actually being in P5 conference.

If we played 3 SEC schools and 2 ACC every year and won them all, we would not be looked at as P5.
On this date June 9 in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Twenty One at 4:02 pm Eastern Standard time (16:02 for you Military, European and Metric types) I agree 100% with a statement from ballcoach
LU 57, chris leedlelee, thepostman and 4 others liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 1:35 pm So same crowd that was saying stay FCS until we win are saying stay G5 Indie because there is a chance we might lose if we play bottom 1/3 of FBS coming off winning 2 ACC games and losing by a point to a 3rd with an O Line recruited as FCS. 2 of those teams are in middle 1/3 of ACC. Got it. What do I know, I only played the game, never recruited for a D1 football Program like Purple.
The great thing about your posts are the consistency of your ability to not formulate the thoughts of others. Literally no one has said what you are putting forth. But you do you man
By LU 57
Purple Haize wrote: June 9th, 2021, 4:03 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 2:09 pm Only Notre Dame can be considered P5 without actually being in P5 conference.

On this date June 9 in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Twenty One at 4:02 pm Eastern Standard time (16:02 for you Military, European and Metric types) I agree 100% with a statement from ballcoach
This is awesome!!

Quite true as well, unfortunately.
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: June 9th, 2021, 4:05 pm
tyndal23 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 1:35 pm So same crowd that was saying stay FCS until we win are saying stay G5 Indie because there is a chance we might lose if we play bottom 1/3 of FBS coming off winning 2 ACC games and losing by a point to a 3rd with an O Line recruited as FCS. 2 of those teams are in middle 1/3 of ACC. Got it. What do I know, I only played the game, never recruited for a D1 football Program like Purple.
The great thing about your posts are the consistency of your ability to not formulate the thoughts of others. Literally no one has said what you are putting forth. But you do you man
Maybe you need to spend more time going through this thread...
By tyndal23

I agree. Have to schedule 6 plus BYU first 5 years where you actually play more P5 than not. The next goal isn’t for everyone to consider us a true P5 - just ACC to count us as a P5 opponent for their conference requirement. After that, THEN you schedule 11 P5 and 1 G5 ( no fcs ) and we are true P5 ( we play as many FBS teams as everyone ( except USC who never plays an FCS team ) Can’t get to 2nd phase until 1st phase due to 1 for 1 home and home.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 5:28 pm
I'd counter that by saying you may do the same yourself.

Typically things you argue against on this issue aren't things anybody has actually said.
Purple Haize liked this
By tyndal23
thepostman wrote: June 9th, 2021, 6:47 pm
tyndal23 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 5:28 pm

I'd counter that by saying you may do the same yourself.

Typically things you argue against on this issue aren't things anybody has actually said.
Get specific.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 1:35 pm stay G5 Indie because there is a chance we might lose if we play bottom 1/3 of FBS coming off winning 2 ACC games and losing by a point to a 3rd with an O Line recruited as FCS. 2 of those teams are in middle 1/3 of ACC.
This entire thing. Nobody has said that.

I personally would like to get into a higher teir G5 conference and then go from there. I think that is way more realistic than depending on a bunch of P5 schools to throw us a bag of bones.

What we are doing in football and other sports is setting us up pretty well for that to become a reality somewhere down the road.
By tyndal23
Postman, just scroll up a few.

I get the AAC desire for all sports and especially if they go to expanded playoff with a guaranteed top G5 spot,LU would have a chance at a title on paper The tv $ however will be drastically different if we stayed Indie with P5 schedule and kept all the tv revenue vs our current schedule and or sharing with AAC. Hoping something changes politically isn’t really a plan. Worst case if we schedule Phase 1 of my plan and ACC doesn’t count us as a P5 game( and there is major benefit for at least 5 ACC schools if they do) we can always pull back/crawl back to current strategy of seeking approval from a conference based on “wins”. BUT my entire premise other than hating G5 is based in reality ( as much as PH says otherwise ) the odds of Presidents voting us in are extremely small. The odds of a P5 grabbing us if we do join a G5 and dominate, even smaller. No teams have broken out of G5 purgatory that weren’t part of a major conference SW Conference or Big East prior to short stint in a G5 conference. (TCU, WVU,Rutgers,MD). I looked at every variable, who we are and who we aren’t, what we have and what we don’t, who we compare most closely to. What we have is $ and can be spent wisely but unconventionally, ( that puts us in rare air alone, even huge public programs budget and finance, forecast and depend on every $ earned to keep the rest afloat ) no official rules on who we can play or where, other than 5 required home games. No one dictates how much we pay teams or take for road games. No one dictates how much we can budget for coaching staffs or recruiting budgets. No limits on how many P5 teams we can play ( unlike conference G5 ). We do have a limited local fan base ceiling, we also have a national following - alumni in all 50 states. Building a conventional regional program and appealing to local fans makes sense for 99% - we aren’t in that group. We aren’t BYU, but geographically we have a major advantage ( a long discussion for another post on what they did right and what they did wrong as an Indie ). We are an Independent team period. Conference Invite at any level is out of our control. We CAN control what type of Independent program we want to be. I didn’t set the “vision” - Jerry Sr did.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
You say all of that and ignore that it would take a lot of schools helping us out. I have always said that your vision sounds great but isn't anywhere close to realistic. If you can be a broken record, so can I. We had to hint at suing in order for the NCAA to allow us to become a FBS independent. Why? Because nobody wanted us associated with them. Why would P5's want to help us fulfill this vision of yours?

That is the part of your vision that has never made any sense to me.

It probably never will.

In the meantime we will wait and see how the next wave of realignment shapes up. Especially if it leads to a larger playoff pool. Then things would get really interesting.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
It’s fun to watch Tyndal argue with himself sometimes.

Come on man, get outside and catch some fresh air. There’s more to life than hypothetical football scenarios. :D
By tyndal23
thepostman wrote: June 9th, 2021, 9:22 pm You say all of that and ignore that it would take a lot of schools helping us out. I have always said that your vision sounds great but isn't anywhere close to realistic. If you can be a broken record, so can I. We had to hint at suing in order for the NCAA to allow us to become a FBS independent. Why? Because nobody wanted us associated with them. Why would P5's want to help us fulfill this vision of yours?

That is the part of your vision that has never made any sense to me.

It probably never will.

In the meantime we will wait and see how the next wave of realignment shapes up. Especially if it leads to a larger playoff pool. Then things would get really interesting.
$. Period. Not any sense of “ helping us out”. It has to benefit them. Look at tHe map of ACC mediocre teams who don’t have a P5 regional team to play when they don’t play ND. Again, not a “requirement” or formal agreement like ND, just an option - don’t try and cram it down their throats. We already have all the Carolina schools on schedule.

Bias - it really does t exist at AD level. Scheduling a 1 off game or even home and home is entirely different than letting us in their conference. Night and Day. End of story.
By tyndal23
jbock13 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 10:21 pm It’s fun to watch Tyndal argue with himself sometimes.

Come on man, get outside and catch some fresh air. There’s more to life than hypothetical football scenarios. :D
There is an ammo shortage so I can’t shoot skeet - your stuck...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: June 9th, 2021, 7:55 pm
tyndal23 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 1:35 pm stay G5 Indie because there is a chance we might lose if we play bottom 1/3 of FBS coming off winning 2 ACC games and losing by a point to a 3rd with an O Line recruited as FCS. 2 of those teams are in middle 1/3 of ACC.
This entire thing. Nobody has said that.

I personally would like to get into a higher teir G5 conference and then go from there. I think that is way more realistic than depending on a bunch of P5 schools to throw us a bag of bones.

What we are doing in football and other sports is setting us up pretty well for that to become a reality somewhere down the road.
I believe this is the general desired consensus at this point. Although occasionally ballcoach gets off his meds and says LU is going to be in the Big XII or ACC then something about Louisville
By LUOrange
Purple Haize wrote: June 9th, 2021, 12:54 pm
JK37 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 1:19 am Nothing helps recruiting more than winning; nothing hurts more than losing.
You know that. I know that. People who have never recruited don’t know that
Everyone knows this.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: June 9th, 2021, 10:33 pm
Purple Haize wrote: June 9th, 2021, 12:54 pm
JK37 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 1:19 am Nothing helps recruiting more than winning; nothing hurts more than losing.
You know that. I know that. People who have never recruited don’t know that
Everyone knows this.
You’d think so…but at least one poster here does not
By LU 57
Has Ian said anything about realignment recently? Certainly seems like the goal would be an FBS conference.

As for scheduling, we know HCHF prefers only playing 1-2 P5s per year.

Also, not sure filling out a P5 schedule as an Indy is even possible at this point, particularly with our recent success.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah that is the thing. If we keep winning, it will make scheduling P5's harder, not easier. I enjoy winning and for now, we have zero shot at the CFP or NY6 bowls so we may as well put ourselves in the best position to continue to go to bowl games. I think the strategy that Ian and HF have right now is perfect and I trust those two a whole lot more than anybody who posts on this message board. No offense guys :)
olldflame, ballcoach15, Purple Haize and 2 others liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am 99% sure there has been some TOP SECRET communication, at the highest level, regarding AAC or P5 Conference invitation, along with other realignment stuff, But there's no need for anyone involved, to discuss it, or even make mention of it at this time.
Everything is taking place "behind closed doors", as it should be.
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
12 team playoff is a major game changer for us near term. Rather than stating “getting to a bowl game” as a goal, it is getting a playoff berth. Will be interesting to see what Ian thinks the magic formula for scheduling is for committee to award. Is that no P5 or 2 or 4 ? Will be interested to see if we have some FCS games bought out and replaced with G5 or P5 games to strengthen schedule where we can...
JK37, Sly Fox, LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
JK37 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 10:45 pm
tyndal23 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 11:28 am
So a winning G5 program will recruit better athletes than a losing P5. Got it.
UCF > Vanderbilt.
If you would have said Memphis or Cincinnatti - you would have been right for 21. Vandy 247 class ranking 48 UCF 54. UCF will smoke them in 22 ranking with Mahlzan recruiting however...

In today’s game you can’t have more th[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.