This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 28th, 2021, 3:55 pm Dr. Voddie Baucham is not white and Liberty is a private school, got it.
Dr Baucham has a deep voice, he uses it to speak truth like Doc did and would be a good board member at a private conservative Baptist university. :lol:
LUOrange liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 29th, 2021, 6:22 am
stokesjokes wrote: April 28th, 2021, 3:55 pm Dr. Voddie Baucham is not white and Liberty is a private school, got it.
Dr Baucham has a deep voice, he uses it to speak truth like Doc did and would be a good board member at a private conservative Baptist university. :lol:

Let it go.
Just John liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This was a discussion a few years back in regard to the seminary. The word we were given was that while the seminary remains theologically Baptist it is independent from fellowship/denomination affiliation. The challenge was that the Liberty church planting network supported folks in the Coop which by its very nature meant that network was SBC. I am glad to see we have gotten past labels in most cases and focused on spreading the Gospel. TRBC also fell under the SBC a decade or so ago somewhat against its will by sponsoring Coop missions. TRBC was Independent Baptist under Doc. And for those unfamiliar, Independent Baptists put the emphasis on the independence. They fellowship but serve no masters.

The word back then was the university as a whole was Baptist in heritage but encompasses a much broader tent of Evangelicals. I suspect that's probably where we are these days as well with just more of a non-denom exterior.
LUOrange liked this
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I believe TRBC is still in the SBC, or at least the SBCV, and is still the parent org of the school, however you define that. Also, the SBCV gets one or two Board of Trustee spots, at least they used to. The current Executive Director of the SBCV, Brian Autry, is a Board member, though he's not on any committees. Not sure if any of the other members are SBCV people. I assume most of the pastors on the board are Southern Baptist.

So whether official or not, LU is basically a baptist university.
TH Spangler liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote: April 29th, 2021, 12:33 pm Not sure if this page has been linked before, but it just popped up for me in a search. Answers some of the questions people have about what the board does and is responsible for.

https://wiki.os.liberty.edu/display/IE/ ... byCategory
Quoted from that.. "The Board of Trustees shall hold the Chancellor/President and his administration accountable for implementation of Board policy, including personnel matters." To be clear, the board does not make any policies and certainly has no role in personnel matters. Every policy and decision regarding the school was solely in Jr's hands. The only power they have would be in a case where that could unite and do what they did to Jerry. Now they have another Jerry who gets to dictate the direction he wants to go in. At least he seems to be more cordial than Jr and I doubt he'll get on here and show his azz.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
So in essence, by volunteering to take the temporary gig he essentially assured himself a kingdom for life. The only way he'll ever leave office is if there is enough attention to force the board to actually conduct a real search. At this point, that does not appear to be the case.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 30th, 2021, 9:49 am So in essence, by volunteering to take the temporary gig he essentially assured himself a kingdom for life. The only way he'll ever leave office is if there is enough attention to force the board to actually conduct a real search. At this point, that does not appear to be the case.
He faired better at LU than Doc did at PTL. :)
Purple Haize liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If you are not going to engage consultants, how long does it take ten folks to come up with some candidates? Apparently nine months hasn't been long enough to work through their crony networks. Then again, that is assuming they are even pretending to conduct a search.

I think some of us could go for at least an acknowledgement from the board that an actual search is underway. Go ahead, indulge us with a status report. Just for grins and giggles.

And just out of curiosity, when did Harvey Gainey add the Dr. designation in front of his name. Did Prevo hook him up by following his lead of an honroary doctorate from a disgraced unaccredited school to puff up his credentials? Just curious.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Couple of things:
1. Did anyone sign the letter above?
2. If rumors are correct,expecting the Bored to look into sexual problems on campus, might be too incriminating. Not saying any one current bored member is guilty of such, but some are surely aware of others who have and helped cover it up. I am not one who believes every sin needs to be publicly shared in detail. However a general recognition of a past problem and assurance that there will be zero tolerance in the future, would be a step forward. We need to have new leadership in place yesterday. JP, is far from the answer.
LUOrange liked this
My understanding is Jr gave him the honorary doctorate. Why spend years earning one? Maybe Gainey got it for bankrupting his company while enriching himself?

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids ... ected.html

Sly Fox wrote: May 25th, 2021, 1:02 pm If you are not going to engage consultants, how long does it take ten folks to come up with some candidates? Apparently nine months hasn't been long enough to work through their crony networks. Then again, that is assuming they are even pretending to conduct a search.

I think some of us could go for at least an acknowledgement from the board that an actual search is underway. Go ahead, indulge us with a status report. Just for grins and giggles.

And just out of curiosity, when did Harvey Gainey add the Dr. designation in front of his name. Did Prevo hook him up by following his lead of an honroary doctorate from a disgraced unaccredited school to puff up his credentials? Just curious.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 25th, 2021, 3:10 pm That's too many on the search committee. Three would be enough. (Tim Lee, Jonathan Falwell and Duke Westover would be a good committee).
There are people on this forum who would be better than Lee and Westover. Then again, you think new buildings equal strong academics.

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.