If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Got caught from behind one too many times.

His gift is his strength and elusivity. He doesn’t have blazing speed or acceleration. And that’s ok.
By tyndal23
JK37 wrote: May 8th, 2021, 9:09 am Got caught from behind one too many times.

His gift is his strength and elusivity. He doesn’t have blazing speed or acceleration. And that’s ok.
Only 2 qb’s in NFL who don’t get caught from behind. Willis from 0-20 yds is exceptional and always is able to turn the corner when it looks like they have the angle on him. As for the hype, I do think IF he takes his full drops like HF says he needs to work on ( that is a real big deal in NFL -especially for a QB under 6’3”) and learns how to hold/secure the ball when running - he will make some $ a year from now.
LUOrange, Kricket liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Malik has great speed.

For a QB. 8)

How anyone could watch those clips and think he runs a "legit" 4.3 40 is pretty. :dontgetit
Either that or we played against a few DBs who should be on our Olympic track team.
Kricket, LUOrange liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: May 8th, 2021, 10:06 am
Only 2 qb’s in NFL who don’t get caught from behind.
That’s my point. Since he doesn’t throw like the other 28, and doesn’t run like those two....

He’s good from 0-20 yards (aka, the Red Zone) precisely because he doesn’t have to breakaway or finish a longer run. Plus he almost always makes the first guy miss. He’s elusive and shifty. And strong.

He takes on contact too much IMO. Those guys in the NFL hit harder than he’s ever been hit. He leaves himself wide open to it. Makes me cringe often.

So he can keep a play alive. But eventually he has to throw the ball.

I think he’s an exceptional college QB who will have a limited pro career. So, yeah, I guess I agree with you. He’ll make some $$.

He’s Pat White. He’s one big NFL hit away from being finished. And I suppose they all are. But he takes those hits on way too much. It’s the curse of his competitiveness. What makes him great is going to get him killed. How do you change that?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: May 8th, 2021, 11:26 am Malik has great speed.

For a QB. 8)

How anyone could watch those clips and think he runs a "legit" 4.3 40 is pretty. :dontgetit
Either that or we played against a few DBs who should be on our Olympic track team.
Ok I was wrong on 4.3. He ran a 4.4 flat. Don't believe me, just look it up where he was timed at Auburn.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
He does need to improve his deep ball and will need to do better avoiding the big hit. Those are pretty important things to NFL teams. But the kid is a hard worker and has a great staff working with him. I'm excited to see his growth.

No matter what happens, there are sure to be a ton of eyes on the program this year. Which Jon talked about in this article.

https://www.aseaofred.com/malik-willis- ... er-before/
Kricket, PAmedic liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 9:36 am
olldflame wrote: May 8th, 2021, 11:26 am Malik has great speed.

For a QB. 8)

Ok I was wrong on 4.3. He ran a 4.4 flat. Don't believe me, just look it up where he was timed at Auburn.
There is a difference between ran and runs.
I suppose it's possible he ran a 4.4 3 years and 30 pounds ago. I feel pretty confident in saying that he could not do it now, and I'm fine with that. He is still elusive (which is far more important than breakaway speed for a QB) and he has the power to get tough yards or keep passing plays alive.
Kricket liked this
By tyndal23
JK37 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 12:56 am
tyndal23 wrote: May 8th, 2021, 10:06 am
Only 2 qb’s in NFL who don’t get caught from behind.
That’s my point. Since he doesn’t throw like the other 28, and doesn’t run like those two....

He’s good from 0-20 yards (aka, the Red Zone) precisely because he doesn’t have to breakaway or finish a longer run. Plus he almost always makes the first guy miss. He’s elusive and shifty. And strong.

He takes on contact too much IMO. Those guys in the NFL hit harder than he’s ever been hit. He leaves himself wide open to it. Makes me cringe often.

So he can keep a play alive. But eventually he has to throw the ball.

I think he’s an exceptional college QB who will have a limited pro career. So, yeah, I guess I agree with you. He’ll make some $$.

He’s Pat White. He’s one big NFL hit away from being finished. And I suppose they all are. But he takes those hits on way too much. It’s the curse of his competitiveness. What makes him great is going to get him killed. How do you change that?
I agree. One big hit away even in college. Kyler Murray is best I have seen on not taking a big hit. Not sure how you teach it.
By LUOrange
Chippy wrote: May 10th, 2021, 9:44 pm Sure going to miss CJ Yarbrough. He's a really good receiver with good size. One can only hope the North Texas WR transfer is just as good, He's certainly just as big.
I hope he returns. I've been a fan of his since I first saw the LFSN story on him. Seems to be a great kid, and his going the ROTC route only proves that to me. Proud of the kid either way.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
A major Hugh Freeze strength is his eye for talent at the skill positions. It's entirely plausible that we may actually have more weaponry around Malik this year.
By Equinox
Registration Days Posts
The QB School hosted by former NFL player J.T. OSullivan, provides a great breakdown of his strength and weakness. Plus there's the occasional roast of Johnny Huntley.

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: May 21st, 2021, 2:53 pm Kiper's top 2022 prospects. Willis is number 15.
Number 15 overall but the number 3 QB in the draft. :shock:
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
The buzz around Willis right now is crazy. I know people are worried about the hype getting in a player's head, but If I were him I feel like it would motivate me to work even harder, knowing that if I do I have a great shot at being a first round pick.

At the same time perhaps the pressure gets to a young athlete of having to perform to not screw it up. My guess is Malik will handle it well.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/malik ... ofile-2022
LUOrange, sstaedtler liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 8:10 am The buzz around Willis right now is crazy. I know people are worried about the hype getting in a player's head, but If I were him I feel like it would motivate me to work even harder, knowing that if I do I have a great shot at being a first round pick.

At the same time perhaps the pressure gets to a young athlete of having to perform to not screw it up. My guess is Malik will handle it well.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/malik ... ofile-2022
I’d feel like it was vindication after being cast aside by Auburn. He’s put in the work. Can’t see him stopping now
LUOrange, Baybird, Geraldos Mustache and 2 others liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
There is a Brooklyn-based pizza shop on Old Forrest Road where cash-only transactions like that are possible. You may be required to make a small local delivery though. Do you own a van? Preferably, white cargo van. Ask for Vito.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
What I like most about Malik is his toughness. Mental toughness and physical toughness go hand in hand. When you get knocked down, it's mental toughness that always gets you back up.
tyndal23 liked this
By Dalegarz1
ESPN+ article on the most versatile college football players in the upcoming season. #1 is Malik Willis!! He is described as the "it" quarterback in this class. Football season cannot get here soon enough. I plan to make as many trips as I can from N.J. to the Burg. If anyone ever wants to sell some extra tickets, please give me a holler.
rtb72 liked this
By jmclaughlin
This may have been dropped in another thread but here is a great insight into the man that Mailk Willis is. Makes you feel good about the leadership capabilities he has and the impact on the young pups around him. Great dude!

Cant wait for fall!

LUOrange, Baybird, sstaedtler and 3 others liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]