This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 11th, 2021, 4:09 pm I decided to ask some alum I know and every one of them said Jonathan. Most said anyone else and they would be very disappointed.
I doubt that Jonathon would can Trey or Becki, but he might be more apt to bring in qualified leaders. The kind of blind loyalty you describe is just stupid. I am often amazed at the lack of intellect in many Christian circles and LU represents itself well in those same circles. Fundamentalists really deserve all the flack they get.
By Jonathan Carone
Most alumni don't pay attention to the inner workings of what's going on at the school. They got their degree they're (probably) proud of and will cheer for the sports teams, but other than that, they don't have a regular relationship with the school. I would expect them to think Jonathan is next man up because on the surface, that makes the most sense.

An uninformed opinion doesn't (or shouldn't) carry much weight. Unfortunately our entire board is made up of primarily uninformed opinions when it comes to University leadership.
ATrain liked this
By Longshots
I
Jonathan Carone wrote:Most alumni don't pay attention to the inner workings of what's going on at the school. They got their degree they're (probably) proud of and will cheer for the sports teams, but other than that, they don't have a regular relationship with the school. I would expect them to think Jonathan is next man up because on the surface, that makes the most sense.

An uninformed opinion doesn't (or shouldn't) carry much weight. Unfortunately our entire board is made up of primarily uninformed opinions when it comes to University leadership.
I consider myself and a majority of my college friends in that most category. We all will exchange texts when JFJR does something detrimental or when there's a big game but there's been zero chatter about what's going on with the Board or Nassar or Jonathon. Every single person I'm in contact with from my time in Lynchburg just wants the football team to keep winning and not have anyone do anything that soils the LU reputation. Probably not a popular opinion but that's what I'm getting from my circle.

My time there was special because of the people I met (sans an ex or two) and the professors that cared about my growth as a person. LU is bigger than one person or a group of out-of-touch people.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 12th, 2021, 8:58 pm Didn't really want to start a new thread.

Looks like there is some movement with the Falwell family removal. Good news, in my opinion.

https://www.liberty.edu/aboutliberty/index.cfm?PID=6911
Let’s hope these aren’t the last
thepostman liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 12th, 2021, 10:19 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:30 pm I’ve heard Trey was actually good to work with, but this was a needed move.

But extremely under qualified

Senior Leadership in title only. He might qualify for a HR position at Randolph or Lynchburg, though. He also has a bit of hotel management experience.
Purple Haize liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 16th, 2021, 6:26 pm Allen McFarland has been removed from being the chair of the BoT. Odd move considering he is pretty highly regarded.

This represents the problem I have with Save71 (besides the fact that they put out stuff that isn't necessarily true). There is no way, zero chance, nada, that anyone can say, with any certainty, that McFarland was the "closest thing that the bored had to a conscience" that is 100% speculation.
I can speculate that he was removed, because maybe someone close to him, was giving out information they shouldn't be. I don't know this for a fact, but it is my opinion, no more, or no less valid than their opinion.
The Tim Lee thing bothers me too. He is a pretty hard-core fundy. I think a move by the university towards the center is a good thing. However, it appears that JP is bringing in too many old cronies for my taste. Need some new/younger blood with real spiritual conviction/maturity/balance.
Just John liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: April 16th, 2021, 7:11 pm
thepostman wrote: April 16th, 2021, 6:26 pm Allen McFarland has been removed from being the chair of the BoT. Odd move considering he is pretty highly regarded.

This represents the problem I have with Save71 (besides the fact that they put out stuff that isn't necessarily true). There is no way, zero chance, nada, that anyone can say, with any certainty, that McFarland was the "closest thing that the bored had to a conscience" that is 100% speculation.
I can speculate that he was removed, because maybe someone close to him, was giving out information they shouldn't be. I don't know this for a fact, but it is my opinion, no more, or no less valid than their opinion.
The Tim Lee thing bothers me too. He is a pretty hard-core fundy. I think a move by the university towards the center is a good thing. However, it appears that JP is bringing in too many old cronies for my taste. Need some new/younger blood with real spiritual conviction/maturity/balance.
MacFarland was most certainly one of the rare voices that challenged "Leadership." The last one that did quit (Askew) and then before that the last one was canned (DeMoss).
Just John liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thoe paying attention to this thread knew a page back that McFarland had been replaced by Vines on the executive committee. I suspect when flameshaw references "new/younger blood" he probably doesn't view that designation the same way the board sees it. Mid 70s would qualify for those guys.
thepostman, flameshaw liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The only "power grab" would have been Trey in waiting. This is a non-profit and not a privately-owned family business.

Wise legal move to not involve the board. There's gotta be some tacit Junior loyalists out there somewhere. Posters defend MacFarland as if they knew the man and where his loyalties lie. Maybe we should suspend judgement on that one for now.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
I don't really see the power grab that Jerry is referring to. In reality, the way Liberty is run shouldn't even allow them accreditation. The accreditation requirement for governance through SACSCOC is very clear on the role of the president as the employee of the board. That being said, the current president at Liberty can make any decision they want to without the input of the board at all. The power grab could only be that the board is trying to wrest power back where it should be and since Prevo is pushing this lawsuit it's not changing the power structure at the school at all. Better to call it a coup. I also wonder where Corry fits in all this. He was involved in all the leadership shenanigans and now he is pushing the lawsuit.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
Honest questions because I don't know...

What is the role of the board specifically, beyond general oversite and rubber stamping things?
What is the role of the executive committee within the board, and where is the line on what they can/should do without entire board vote?
Is there a clear boundary of what the President can/can't do without board approval?

Seems people on here have varying view of this, but I'd like to hear them. Facts are always great as well, if any exist.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: April 28th, 2021, 12:27 pm I don't really see the power grab that Jerry is referring to. In reality, the way Liberty is run shouldn't even allow them accreditation. The accreditation requirement for governance through SACSCOC is very clear on the role of the president as the employee of the board. That being said, the current president at Liberty can make any decision they want to without the input of the board at all. The power grab could only be that the board is trying to wrest power back where it should be and since Prevo is pushing this lawsuit it's not changing the power structure at the school at all. Better to call it a coup. I also wonder where Corry fits in all this. He was involved in all the leadership shenanigans and now he is pushing the lawsuit.
That’s why John M Borek made the big bucks.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
JDUB wrote: April 28th, 2021, 12:44 pm Honest questions because I don't know...

What is the role of the board specifically, beyond general oversite and rubber stamping things?
What is the role of the executive committee within the board, and where is the line on what they can/should do without entire board vote?
Is there a clear boundary of what the President can/can't do without board approval?

Seems people on here have varying view of this, but I'd like to hear them. Facts are always great as well, if any exist.
Good luck with getting that answer. No one has ever been able to get a copy of the bylaws. It should all be laid out in there.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The board isn't as involved with day to day operations as some may think, in my opinion. Someone above mentioned the key word, "rubberstamp". I would guess that the majority of students at any university cannot name the Board members. I recall back in the 1990s when I was a Hokie Club member at Virginia Tech, I personally knew 2 or 3 of the VT Board, and they were the only ones I could name.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
I agree students don't know their names. I only know about 5 of the names on there and I've been around LU 15 years, although pretty distant now. No idea how that relates to my questions above though.
If the board has failed to perform it's duties, then let's shine a spotlight on it. They're obviously trying to cover their butts right now, and as alumni it seems appropriate for us to be asking some questions of the board. I know they seem to be 'cleaning house' inside LU, but how can we feel confident they have a plan and aren't just trying to save themselves, or do a power grab, or whatever other things people have thrown out?
Seems to me it's not just a people problem on the board, but a design problem as well. But I don't know much about it, which is why I posed those questions. Putting different people into a broken system isn't going to fix the system in most cases. I want what's best for Liberty, and whispers of investigations, terminations of people throughout leadership, and an apparent power vacuum without any public plan on what they are doing just don't seem like what's best. Maybe they're doing everything right, but how would we know since it's all so hush hush? Maybe I'm just scarred from being baptist too long, but I don't like lack of transparency and feeling I'm getting that hits my PTSD on church splits I've been through. We need a strong leader to step up and say this is the path forward, then execute. Why is there so much secrecy when the dirty laundry has already been aired in the national media? If things are done correctly, what is there to hide?
ATrain, flamehunter liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]