This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

thepostman wrote:Jr's response

The dude is ridiculous. Notice how he thinks money makes the man and the record. Well, as an archivist, I do admit that money does make the record at times. But, the record reveals all, not just what you want it to reveal. LOL
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 16th, 2021, 4:15 pm I am not nearly as connected as some people on this message board to the going ons at LU and I was aware of a lot of the stuff prior of 2019. Was it worse than I knew? Absolutely! But I am also not a board member. There was smoke for a while before this starting leaking out.

I can see an argument where some didn't know but there is nobody that can convince me that they nobody on the board at least knew there was something fishy going on.
Some were very well aware of what was going on. Maybe not with the pool-boy thing, but certainly about the drinking, not going to church and management style problems, among others.
It is not hard to believe that maybe none of the bored knew about the pool-boy and Becky. After all, a person in Jr's position, has rumors circling about them 24/7. Sr. did as well. We know the media is always looking for anything negative about a Falwell. The fact that they were only able to come up with the hostel deal, says that they could not prove a sexual blackmail connection going on, until the pool boy, Jr. let it out.
I am not defending the bored. Just saying that it is very plausible that some did not know what was happening. I know for certain, that one bored member didn't know anything was amiss. And he would have been the first one that I would have predicted, knew everything. To his credit, he was 100% on board for getting rid of Jr. right away, also "fancy pants"
In any event, this is sad for the university. The root cause, is one of spiritual bankruptcy, by Jr. and others. Hopefully we will see a new spiritual awakening within the leadership and student body. Sadly, if I had to bet, I would bet on the student body.
thepostman, Baybird liked this
ballah09 wrote: April 16th, 2021, 6:53 pm The board got rid of McFarland and replaced him with crazy Tim Lee. A staunch Jr/prevo apologist.

I don’t know if he still has Twitter because he blocked me but when you read his tweets, you’d think he’s more crazier than Jr.

Our board is a joke and I hope they get exposed.
They are exposing themselves. They are the emperors with "new clothes."
k9saber liked this
flameshaw wrote: April 16th, 2021, 6:54 pmHopefully we will see a new spiritual awakening within the leadership and student body. Sadly, if I had to bet, I would bet on the student body.
I disagree. I think there will be a mass exodus from Christianity by the student body. I am already seeing a lot of alumni and current students forsaking Christianity these days, partly due to the foolishness of Jr and the board. They have come to realize that the very people telling them to believe in what the Bible has to say are the same people who don't live according to the beliefs and rules they propagandize to others.
k9saber liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: April 16th, 2021, 6:53 pm The board got rid of McFarland and replaced him with crazy Tim Lee. A staunch Jr/prevo apologist.

I don’t know if he still has Twitter because he blocked me but when you read his tweets, you’d think he’s more crazier than Jr.

If I’m on the right Twitter page (@marinetimlee), it’s a yikes from me. I didn’t have to scroll very far before I saw him throwing rocks at Ed Stetzer of all people for getting vaccinated.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
puttincomputers wrote: April 16th, 2021, 7:10 pm
flameshaw wrote: April 16th, 2021, 6:54 pmHopefully we will see a new spiritual awakening within the leadership and student body. Sadly, if I had to bet, I would bet on the student body.
I disagree. I think there will be a mass exodus from Christianity by the student body. I am already seeing a lot of alumni and current students forsaking Christianity these days, partly due to the foolishness of Jr and the board. They have come to realize that the very people telling them to believe in what the Bible has to say are the same people who don't live according to the beliefs and rules they propagandize to others.
Sorry, no one leaves Christianity due to a person. Now it may depend on how you define Christianity. No one leaves the body of Christ, once they are a part of it. Now, many can become disillusioned or skeptical. Think Prodigal Son for example.
It is pretty normal for many kids, who have gone to a Christian skool, to blame things that happen to them on fallen leadership. Maybe they need to move on to a place where they can be comfortable. Maybe LU is not the place for them. That is completely understandable.
If you want to see a very good example of this, seek out some of the Hyles-Anderson Kawlage threads. The majority believe that their failures exist because of Jackie boy and his SIL's sexual failures and subsequent cover-ups. Maybe their real failure was in picking the wrong skool for themselves.
God's ability to change one's life, or his love for them, cannot be derailed by any human. His sovereignty will not allow it. Not my opinion, just scripture.
Last edited by flameshaw on April 16th, 2021, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rtb72, SumItUp, thepostman liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 16th, 2021, 7:11 pm

If I’m on the right Twitter page (@marinetimlee), it’s a yikes from me. I didn’t have to scroll very far before I saw him throwing rocks at Ed Stetzer of all people for getting vaccinated.
Yes, I was on a message board with him one time, for many years. His handle was "Marine". He is pretty far out there. I would say he shouldn't be on the LU bored at all. Too old/too fundy, just like JP.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Not hard to follow staff requirements when, as the head of staff, JJ changed the rules for staff so he could do what he wanted.

His definition of rightness is he made a lot of money and followed the staff rules he himself set and manipulated.

The blind perspective of narcissism is rampant with this one!
Just John, thepostman liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts

I'm disappointed to see McFarland go and Tim Lee come. I knew Tim on the old Fighting Fundamentalist Forum (I was anti-fundie btw :wink: ) 20 years ago. I respected that he was getting away from the old-time Hyles-type IFB "standards" but he's still pretty hardcore.

As for McFarland, he's one of the few people of color on the board which brings value, some intrinsic and some by perception...neither is bad. Intrinsically, I believe there is value in diverse thought and experiences, so long as those thoughts and experiences of a person of any color or sex do not lead to aberrant theology. Echo chambers don't prepare thought LEADERS well. I have benefitted so much personally from being in fellowship with people who are very different from me culturally, racially, and politically knowing however that we first share a faith in Christ. As for the perception....let's face it, one of the first things liberals like to charge Christians with is racism. Sadly, there is still some blatant racism around but thankfully we have come a long way. LU is no exception. While we need to always be aware of potential racism and fight it where it exists, including people of color like Dr. McFarland, a black man, in senior leadership doesn't hurt in trying to dispel those the stereotype, if indeed, it's based on ability and shared vision, rather than tokenism. McFarland seemed to fit those requirements with a thirty-year history with the school including as a professor and kids who were alumni of LU. There may be more than is public knowledge but IMO we need cultivate more friends in different "channels".
JK37 wrote: April 16th, 2021, 9:08 pm Wasn’t McFarland’s term already set to expire this week?
He was set to expire but there’s been a power struggle there with Prevo since this whole thing started. He could’ve easily been renewed, but wasn’t.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 16th, 2021, 9:33 pm
JK37 wrote: April 16th, 2021, 9:08 pm Wasn’t McFarland’s term already set to expire this week?
He was set to expire but there’s been a power struggle there with Prevo since this whole thing started. He could’ve easily been renewed, but wasn’t.
There indeed was an issue with Prevo and him. I was told by a current board member Prevo did not like McFarland's desire to have more diversity.
Just John wrote: April 16th, 2021, 10:41 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 16th, 2021, 9:33 pm
There indeed was an issue with Prevo and him. I was told by a current board member Prevo did not like McFarland's desire to have more diversity.
Or to focus more on the spiritual side of the school.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 17th, 2021, 12:24 am ... or bring into question his royal self-designation.
Well I'm curious as to what Prevo's situation will look like when Jerry's attorney lays out all the crap Prevo/Executive Committee were aware of when he signed his contact. That might force a few changes.
k9saber liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 17th, 2021, 7:54 am Yeah, it is going to get really messy, real fast.

Maybe we will finally get some truth. Maybe.
I’d bet on messy.

I wouldn’t bet on fast.

I’m not betting on us getting truth. It could very well be in both sides’ best interest to litigate this out of court and settle.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
The only way I see this being settled out of court is if Jerry Jr feels there is greater than a 50% chance the board is going to win and he'll have to pay back $10 million, which is essentially all he has left to lose at this point. His reputation in tatters and his name covered in mud, he has no incentive to not let the board hang themselves unless he feels he's going to lose in court.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]