This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: April 4th, 2021, 10:58 pm I believe there are far too many good things happening on the Mountain to have us tearing it apart from within and I hope that this embarrassing situation will lead all involved to be humble and put personal preferences aside and seek solutions that heal and enable the work that God has already done to flourish in the future.
It is because of the good things and the heritage of the school that there is such passion for the direction of the school. No one involved in this discussion has any interest in anything other than the best for the university moving forward. The question comes in whether the current leadership is more fixated in protecting their own personal kingdoms than the true Kingdom. The culture of recent years has put people in a position to be focused more on the former than the latter. Reshaping that culture requires true reform on Biblical standards and not caretakers fixated on maintaining self interests.
flameshaw, Dustin Wahl, rtb72 and 1 others liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Dustin Wahl wrote: April 4th, 2021, 5:17 pm
Racenut wrote: April 4th, 2021, 11:57 am As I sit here on Easter morning, I am seriously addressing those on this thread who think Liberty needs a "culture change". With the glaring exception of Jr's moral downfall and his personal proclivity to state political views in a less than diplomatic way, what exactly do you want changed about the "Culture" at Liberty?
From the outside, I see a thriving, growing institution that is delivering more than even Jerry Sr could have imagined when he felt God encouraging him to engage in this vision. The programs and fields of endeavor have grown exponentially in the last 50 years, enabling Christians to enter any profession or career field as fully qualified, properly trained ambassadors for Christ. I see missionaries abroad, I see graduates in media, I see Churches planted and I see athletics performed with excellence and coaches speaking boldly on national TV about the emphasis and impact of Christ in the lives of young men and women.
One reason that I am sitting here on Easter morning, is that I have seen the dangers of infighting on God's people. I have seen leaders stumble, and I have seen over zealous boards of Elders and Deacons wax poetic for hours on end with their solutions to problems in the Church, only to see nothing accomplished, but the self aggrandizing of those who have only been given positions because no one else agreed to serve. Parishioners are many times no better as they put their pet "one issue" concerns over the health of the fellowship. I confess to adding to that chaos at times in my life, and at the age of 62, I pledge that I will strive to do better.
These are problems that have surfaced throughout the history of God's Church and yet He continues to accomplish great things in spite of us. One great miracle that He has performed in front of our very eyes is Liberty University. My hope is that we would pray for the leadership at LU and for every movement to be orchestrated by His perfect will. I pray that every success would be magnified in His light and that we would soften our hearts to His mission over ours.
So, what are the specific "Culture" changes, if any that need to take place, and how will they positively impact the University and His mission. I hope the discussion is tempered in grace and humility.
I hope that the inclination of many Christians to throw the baby out with the bath water is avoided in these troubled times, as I for one see Liberty and all the good things that are going on there as a true light in the darkness.
I appreciate this earnest post, and I think I can provide some clarity about why many of your fellow Christ-followers are praying and working for a change of culture at Liberty. The successes you speak of, which are real, do not tell the full story about Liberty. Too often, Liberty's leaders use Liberty's virtues to conceal its sins and its wealth to conceal its weaknesses. The sins and weaknesses are very real, and it is wrong to ignore them.

There are outstanding allegations that Becki Falwell sexually preyed on a Liberty student and that both Falwells regularly objectified and sexualized students for fun. The board has never addressed this. One board member is a pastor who covered up sexual abuse in his church and then lied about it in his memoir. The board has not addressed this, either. For several years, Falwell leveraged his power for selfish and pernicious ends, hurting countless employees. Professors, those most responsible for the academic and spiritual formation of students, often live in fear of having their contracts suddenly ended in the spring, when there is no time to find a new teaching job (a task made harder by the reputation Falwell inflicted on Liberty.)

Those students who read the news about Liberty (a sizable minority) often become deeply disillusioned in their latter years as students and their first years as alumni. Why has Liberty's leadership never acknowledged its sins and sought forgiveness -- something Christians are taught to do as children? Why were Liberty's rules enforced on some but not others? Why are some students fined and stripped of scholarships for having wine at a wedding, while Falwell is a known heavy drinker? Why was the swing dancing club banned from campus, while some of the students who hang out with Nasser and Falwell go to clubs and house parties on the weekend? Why are girls made to dress conservatively at the campus pool, while other girls participate in a school-sanctioned swimsuit contest onstage in the Center for Music and Worship? Why are students warned about infighting and told not to criticize their leaders, while their leaders fight bitterly amongst themselves and vengefully punish people who respectfully disagree? Why do Liberty's proponents constantly praise the material wealth and status and power of the school, while our faith tells us that these things mean nothing, and that in fact they can be quite dangerous to our souls?

These are just a few of the questions that lead many former Liberty students and employees to disillusionment. I know countless graduates who are struggling with their faith because of this. I know many more who struggle with severe depression. Here are the words of just one Liberty student who reached out to my organization last year:

"I wish I could transfer, but I'm so close to finishing that I worry it will only cost more money. As a Christian woman who has suffered from sexual assault, I am horrified at Falwell's behavior and commentary about sexual assault. . . I don't know what to do. My debt makes me stay but my morality is begging me to leave."

Here is another (and I hear this a lot):

"I can't listen to worship music anymore."

So with all this said, here are two of the specific culture changes that my group, Save71, is calling for. First, Liberty's board, executive leadership, and senior leadership should apologize for and acknowledge their sins. Secondly, there should be a genuine attempt to make amends for them and root them out. I think those are pretty reasonable changes, but neither has happened!

Liberty has many wonderful qualities, but also struggles with terrible spiritual abuse. We need to acknowledge both, and it's vital to deal with the abuse first.

Luke 11:39-40: "Then the Lord said to him, 'Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also?'"
Wish I had read this before my post in the "culture change" thread. This addresses the REAL culture problem. It is one of spiritual bankruptcy by the leadership. Nothing more, nothing less. Certainly not some of the static created elsewhere on this message board, that I have foolishly responded to.
I love the university, I do not want to be one of the negative Nancy's that always hover right above most Christain skool campuses, and blame it for their personal problems.
However I believe we are at a crossroads of remaining a distinctively Christian school or becoming the next Baylor, TCU, etc. Praying for the humble repentance and spiritual restoration of the university leaders and of those to come.
rmiller1959 wrote: March 24th, 2021, 2:06 pm "Clary is a pastor at Anchorage Baptist Temple, but has announced his retirement to take up leadership of Liberty University’s 'Standing for Freedom Center' as vice president of Strategic Partnerships and Alliances."

https://mustreadalaska.com/alaska-gop-c ... -virginia/
I know little about Clary or what postion he'll be filling in Lynchburg but the comment posted by JAN DELAND should be investigated.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:25 am
rmiller1959 wrote: March 24th, 2021, 2:06 pm "Clary is a pastor at Anchorage Baptist Temple, but has announced his retirement to take up leadership of Liberty University’s 'Standing for Freedom Center' as vice president of Strategic Partnerships and Alliances."

I know little about Clary or what postion he'll be filling in Lynchburg but the comment posted by JAN DELAND should be investigated.
Of course the only thing you’d care about is that he’s not Trumpy enough.
jbock13 wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:58 am

Of course the only thing you’d care about is that he’s not Trumpy enough.
Could care less how Trumpy he is or not ... I care about life.
Last edited by TH Spangler on April 7th, 2021, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts

Hiring another friend for a high-level position. I know it is done quite often, but in the wake of Jr's abuse of this practice, it is not a good thing. (Unless he is a minority :roll: )
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
In maybe possibly positive news, the front page of todays’s Champion features the headline “Hunt for the President Continues.”

Not much to the story, but they were allowed to print it, so I guess a search might be taking place.
Just John liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 16th, 2021, 7:06 pm In maybe possibly positive news, the front page of todays’s Champion features the headline “Hunt for the President Continues.”

Not much to the story, but they were allowed to print it, so I guess a search might be taking place.
One can hope.
Just John wrote: April 16th, 2021, 7:50 pm
stokesjokes wrote: April 16th, 2021, 7:06 pm In maybe possibly positive news, the front page of todays’s Champion features the headline “Hunt for the President Continues.”

One can hope.
It must be a double secret search. Have not seen any of the major search firms with a listing, can't find a listing on job sites such as Higher Ed Jobs, etc.
ballcoach15 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I like his religious diversity (and no, that’s not sarcasm). From Wikipedia:

“Brat was raised in a Presbyterian church and his wife is a Roman Catholic. Splitting their time between two churches, they are parishioners of St. Mary Catholic Church in Richmond. Brat also identifies as a Calvinist and lists affiliations with Christ Episcopal Church, Third Presbyterian, and Shady Grove Methodist.”
By LU 57
stokesjokes wrote: April 18th, 2021, 9:51 am I like his religious diversity (and no, that’s not sarcasm). From Wikipedia:

“Brat was raised in a Presbyterian church and his wife is a Roman Catholic. Splitting their time between two churches, they are parishioners of St. Mary Catholic Church in Richmond. Brat also identifies as a Calvinist and lists affiliations with Christ Episcopal Church, Third Presbyterian, and Shady Grove Methodist.”
I have seen him at Hope Church here in Richmond, which is Evangelical Presbyterian.
stokesjokes liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:32 am We have a great candidate already on campus. Dr David Brat.
I know we agree on very little TH, but I think you're spot on with this one. He is one who would be well respected among academics and He would likely recognize the importance of crowing about our solid academics rather than trying to lmarket us as the school with the best dorms and the most exciting campus. I think our marketing is geared towards them shallowest students out there.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: April 18th, 2021, 6:07 pm
TH Spangler wrote: April 18th, 2021, 4:02 pm There's only one true church, Jesus Christ's church. 😉
aka "his politics matter most". :D
No, there are Christians in many denominations. There are lost in many. Denominations are created by men not God.

As far as politics though, I have no idea how Christians vote for one of the parties platform. Just read the Biden thread. :dontgetit
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:33 pm
Just John wrote: April 18th, 2021, 6:07 pm
TH Spangler wrote: April 18th, 2021, 4:02 pm There's only one true church, Jesus Christ's church. 😉
aka "his politics matter most". :D
No, there are Christians in many denominations. There are lost in many. Denominations are created by men not God.

As far as politics though, I have no idea how Christians vote for one of the parties platform. Just read the Biden thread. :dontgetit
I don't want to hijack the thread too much but I think I could name several in the GOP, traditional conservatives, some closer to LU's religious beliefs, who don't support the Democrat platform that you would likely have a big problem with.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
New president should be 100% against Democratic platform.

No matter who new president is, I don't think majority of this message board will be happy. I'll be glad when one is named, so that message board can get back to LU sports.
LUOrange liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]