This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Falwell’s son out as VP at Liberty University

The son of Jerry Falwell Jr. is out of his job as vice president at Liberty University nearly eight months after his father resigned as president of the Christian school amid allegations of inappropriate personal behavior and financial self-dealing.

Liberty University spokesperson Scott Lamb on Wednesday confirmed to POLITICO that Trey Falwell was “no longer employed by the university.” That development, Lamb said, occurred “this week,” but he declined to provide any additional details about what happened. Lamb also declined to answer questions about whether Jerry Falwell Jr.’s other son, Wesley, or his daughters-in-law were currently employed by the university. Liberty “does not answer questions about personnel,” he said.

The move is a strong signal that the powerhouse evangelical university is seeking aggressively to distance itself from its former president — even as he hints at a possible comeback. Falwell, the eldest son of Liberty’s founder, the late Rev. Jerry Falwell Sr. — has been advertising his visits to the university on social media. He told POLITICO in an interview published earlier this month that the Liberty community still embraces him
SOURCE
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Liberty’s executive committee just sent this email to administrative staff commanding them not to communicate with Jerry Falwell Jr, with an exception for matters related to Falwell’s daughter.

Reminder that this is not the first time LU’s executive committee said something like this. Falwell’s lingering influence on campus has been a battle since he was first removed (one that the administration hasn’t fought very hard.) From last September:

“It has come to our attention that various staff members have been contacted by Jerry Falwell, Jr. over the past several days. Some of these calls have been uncomfortable.

It is reported by at least one news reporter that Mr. Falwell has claimed to be in constant communication with University leadership and is assisting in running the University.

This impression is not well received by our supporters who do not want Mr. Falwell to be running Liberty University behind the scenes. Any advice or background information needed by Liberty University from Jerry Falwell must come through Jerry Prevo.

We are not to be providing information about the University to Mr. Falwell, taking direction or orders about the University from Mr. Falwell, performing any tasks for Mr. Falwell on University time, or using University resources to provide favors to Mr. Falwell.

The same goes for any of the University’s affiliate entities. If you are uncomfortable taking a call or engaging in other types of communications with Mr. Falwell, you are free to decline to do so and you are also free to refer them to Jerry Prevo.

Please pass this message along to your executive assistants and other employees who report to you who would need to know this information because they are in a position to receive such a communication."
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The fact that Scott Lamb is using the line "does not answer questions about personnel" implies that Wes is still employed by the university. Otherwise he could either confirm or deny current employment. However the internal memo posted by Save71 indicates that JLFJR's daughter is the only one still working at the university. Perhaps Wes is still collecting checks but no longer is actually working on campus.
This did not age well...

E: THE ONGOING JERRY FALWELL JR THREAD#603316
By Logic - July 3rd, 2020, 3:53 pm

Trey will do a fantastic job when the time comes. Now that Randy retired, Trey is pretty much running the day to day already, as is. JLFJR makes the big decisions and final calls, but much like with Doc and JLFJR circa 2000-2007, Trey is doing a lot already. For those worried about social media, take a look at his Twitter account, or the lack thereof. He hasn’t tweeted since September of 2017, and his account is private. His Instagram account is much the same. I don’t see that changing when he becomes President of Liberty University. He is focused on LU, and every decision he’s made thus far has been spot on. He is wise beyond his years and learned much from his father and grandfather.
This did not age well either.

NeoFlame wrote: ↑
August 18th, 2020, 10:51 am
To that point, every Falwell leader has one major blindspot -- they choose poor right hand men. Men who enjoy the power, being complete $%#$, but do seem to get the job done -- mostly out of fear. We can argue all day if a culture of fear begins with the person who hires the men to inflict the pain or the people who actually administer it. At least the leaders who picked those individuals have plausible deniability.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 14th, 2021, 7:50 pm The fact that Scott Lamb is using the line "does not answer questions about personnel" implies that Wes is still employed by the university. Otherwise he could either confirm or deny current employment. However the internal memo posted by Save71 indicates that JLFJR's daughter is the only one still working at the university. Perhaps Wes is still collecting checks but no longer is actually working on campus.
The daughter referenced in the internal memo is a student, not an employee. The reference to FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) which protects the privacy of student records. Also, according to policy, only HR can verify employment.
rmiller1959 wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:03 pm
Sly Fox wrote: April 14th, 2021, 7:50 pm The fact that Scott Lamb is using the line "does not answer questions about personnel" implies that Wes is still employed by the university. Otherwise he could either confirm or deny current employment. However the internal memo posted by Save71 indicates that JLFJR's daughter is the only one still working at the university. Perhaps Wes is still collecting checks but no longer is actually working on campus.
The daughter referenced in the internal memo is a student, not an employee. The reference to FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) which protects the privacy of student records. Also, according to policy, only HR can verify employment.
I believe the family members left are Wes in facilities, Laura Wallace (cousin) in HR, and the father in laws - Kenny Craig in Government Relations and Brumble in HR. Not sure about the wives.
Apologies for the skepticism here, but is this suit - in part - to cover up the Board not knowing what was going on?

I had reporters asking me - a nobody - about Jerry and the pool boy (and Becki and the band member) three years ago.

This feels like the Board covering their butts in some ways.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
@Jonathan Carone I had the same exact thought.

This is a move to cover their own butts. If he is holding onto university assets, it is absolutely necessary but clearly only being done to keep attention off of them.
By Whatisthetruth
The BOT is on shaky ground with some of these claims. Jr used that earthlink email since he was the LU lawyer and it was reported in several articles over the years. They knew.

The Hostel was reported back in 2017. They knew.

The discovery on both sides will be insane.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
After reading that lawsuit, I'm not sure how the board can even take themselves seriously. They used news media as sources dated before they somehow knew. How does that make them look? So sure, this helps paint Jr in a negative light but it does not help the board at all.

Clearly a real investigation needs to be conducted. Not this sham that's been going on for the past few months.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I was told several months ago that there was another shoe to drop and it was financial in nature. It may be a CYA by the Bored, but several of them are so old, I don't see how it matters that much. In a few years, many of them will be gone anyway. (I believe they should all be gone tomorrow). I guess my point is, it is not like they are trying to save themselves for a long, continued, relationship with the university.
It could very well be that they are actually having some kind of investigation or that this could be a helpful way to ease Jonathon into the leadership chair. Or at least to justify it, to some extent. Jonathon is a positive asset to the university.
It also doesn't introduce anything that isn't already known.

We should remember the hostel doesn't equate to his desire to observe and/or participate in an extramarital affair. It wasn't in good taste but it wasn't actually a behavior indicator. It will be difficult to prove the board knew about the threesome when they negotiated his 2019 deal.

But at least we can feel comfortable knowing he probably won't be welcomed back anytime soon.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I am not nearly as connected as some people on this message board to the going ons at LU and I was aware of a lot of the stuff prior of 2019. Was it worse than I knew? Absolutely! But I am also not a board member. There was smoke for a while before this starting leaking out.

I can see an argument where some didn't know but there is nobody that can convince me that they nobody on the board at least knew there was something fishy going on.
rtb72 liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: April 16th, 2021, 2:13 pm It also doesn't introduce anything that isn't already known.

We should remember the hostel doesn't equate to his desire to observe and/or participate in an extramarital affair. It wasn't in good taste but it wasn't actually a behavior indicator. It will be difficult to prove the board knew about the threesome when they negotiated his 2019 deal.

But at least we can feel comfortable knowing he probably won't be welcomed back anytime soon.
Something tells me that hostel wasn't necessarily to facilitate Jerry Jr's fantasies...
Purple Haize liked this
thepostman wrote: April 16th, 2021, 4:15 pm I am not nearly as connected as some people on this message board to the going ons at LU and I was aware of a lot of the stuff prior of 2019. Was it worse than I knew? Absolutely! But I am also not a board member. There was smoke for a while before this starting leaking out.

I can see an argument where some didn't know but there is nobody that can convince me that they nobody on the board at least knew there was something fishy going on.
If they didn’t know then it’s gross negligence.
thepostman, rtb72 liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
The board got rid of McFarland and replaced him with crazy Tim Lee. A staunch Jr/prevo apologist.

I don’t know if he still has Twitter because he blocked me but when you read his tweets, you’d think he’s more crazier than Jr.

Our board is a joke and I hope they get exposed.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]