This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Clayton King would be good and has some history with Liberty but I'm not sure if he'd be interested in coming back or not. I don't know a ton about Preston so can't really say much on him.

One doesn't have to wear skinny jeans to relate to college kids. Don't worry @ballcoach15 .

Of course wearing skinny jeans also doesn't disqualify you either.
ballcoach15, ATrain liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't know anything about Jonathan Jr, but this probably isn't the best time to bring on MORE Falwells. This isn't to say the guy isn't a great guy and maybe someday down the road it would make sense but this is far from the ideal time.
By rtb72
Although I don't know all of the inside scoop on Jr and Jonathan, I do believe Jonathan and his family are good and decent people, who were really as much victims of Jr as anyone. I think Jonathan's heart is to see the vision of his father endures for LU's original mission. The little I know, I think Jonathan would be committed to putting those people in place, who would be best suited for LU moving forward, and would be pleased to see him in a role where he had more decision making authority. Just my 2 cents...
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan is fine. But we would certainly survive, if we moved on, post-Falwell. People are drawn to this place because of the Christian emphasis, not Falwell. Wish we could move on, but not confident we will. Liberty would be so much better if we did though.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathon and Jr. are polar opposites. Jonathon is a great person and would be a real asset to LU, even if his name was Smith or Falwell.
As far as the Nasser position being worth $400K, I don't agree at all. I am all for people getting paid well. Many ministry positions are underpaid. But in a business world, Nasser's position, breadth of control, budget, pressure, time commitment, would not be close to $400K. That is equivalent to people who report directly to CEO's of publicly traded companies and many Fortune 500 companies. (Not the major ones). Many people who make $150K work a lot harder than fancy pants.
Now the secret(s) that Nasser is squashing, may be worth that or more. 8) 8)
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan is friendly. He's committed. He would do what's in the best interest of the university. Can't really argue with that. However, a sign of maturity, would be to move past the family and move toward committed qualified alumni. Doesn't seem very likely though.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:56 am Jonathan is friendly. He's committed. He would do what's in the best interest of the university. Can't really argue with that. However, a sign of maturity, would be to move past the family and move toward committed qualified alumni. Doesn't seem very likely though.
It kinda does make sense, because there is no heir-apparent to LU leadership, with the last name Falwell, anywhere on the horizon.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
If Jonathan's only disqualification is the last name of Falwell, that is a rather poor excuse for not pursuing him if he is otherwise the best candidate. The optics won't be good, but as has been said before in this thread, doing the right thing is more important than the looks of a move.

I should also add, as far as Nasser is concerned, that relieving him of his position is the right thing to do, but if the only reason he is leaving is because he called Junior's behavior sin, then I feel that it is being done the wrong way. It should be the issues highlighted in this thread as to why he's leaving, rather than offending Junior and the board.
jinxy, rtb72, Just John liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 31st, 2021, 11:57 am Will never happen, but Mike Huckabee is the best Christian host right now.
The Shaq O'Neill of conservative advertising (now that Pat Boone is actually looking ancient) but with less reputable products. Gold, silver, cures for diabetes, "biblical cancer cures", dietary supplements, dehydrated food for impending food shortages, etc. No thanks. I know from first-hand experience it's about the bucks, not the belief. I get that most commercial endorsers don't use the the product they shill for but IMO a Christian should have at least a modicum of integrity.

Proving he doesn't have much of a core, as a Southern Baptist he had this to say about heretic Ken Copeland, "Kenneth and Gloria Copeland are about the most gracious, authentic, and humble people I know and I consider them dear friends. They have brought hope to millions and have operated with the utmost integrity as far as I know. I have found them to be as warm and genuine in their private moments as they are in their public moments."
By Jonathan Carone
ATrain wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:08 pm If Jonathan's only disqualification is the last name of Falwell, that is a rather poor excuse for not pursuing him if he is otherwise the best candidate.
As much as I respect Jonathan as a pastor, he turned a blind eye and didn’t say anything about Jerry for years. He chose to “let God deal with his brother” instead of actively involving himself when he was the one person whose voice mattered more than anyone.

If we’re wanting reform and saying Board members who knew and did nothing need to go, we have to be consistent in our beliefs, even if we like someone it impacts.
Dustin Wahl liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 7:29 am
ATrain wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:08 pm If Jonathan's only disqualification is the last name of Falwell, that is a rather poor excuse for not pursuing him if he is otherwise the best candidate.
As much as I respect Jonathan as a pastor, he turned a blind eye and didn’t say anything about Jerry for years. He chose to “let God deal with his brother” instead of actively involving himself when he was the one person whose voice mattered more than anyone.

If we’re wanting reform and saying Board members who knew and did nothing need to go, we have to be consistent in our beliefs, even if we like someone it impacts.
How do you know he did nothing? But I can think of no one better at dealing with unrepented sin than God.

JJ you're probably right about Huckabee not being a good choice. But in fairness to him it looks like he made that quote in 2007. We all live and learn.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Now is the perfect time to unhook Liberty University operations from the Falwell name. I’ll keep saying it. Anyone who is a member of the family or associated with the family needs to venture elsewhere. TRBC is still a thing. Work on that. The Falwell name will always rightfully and proudly be associated with the founding and rise of LU. No small feat. Now is the time to take the next step
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
True, it was in 2007 but Huckabee was what, in his 50's then and Copeland was the same Copeland then as he is now. I can't give him a pass on that statement.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts

And yet, how do we know Jonathan knew everything that was going on in Jr's life? And if he did know things, how do we know that there weren't things being discussed privately and out of the public eye?

I mean, there could be better candidates than Jonathan, but my main point is that we shouldn't exclude him because his last name is Falwell.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 9:08 am Politico article on Jr. making a comeback. I have a bunch opf thoughts but have to go to work. But one thing that made me laugh was he goes to a women's lacrosse game against a school I have never heard of and say's "I didn't know watching lacrosse could be so much fun".

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/0 ... ack-478883
He should attend a Liberty Softball game.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 10:16 am

And yet, how do we know Jonathan knew everything that was going on in Jr's life? And if he did know things, how do we know that there weren't things being discussed privately and out of the public eye?

I mean, there could be better candidates than Jonathan, but my main point is that we shouldn't exclude him because his last name is Falwell.
Jonathan has been in a tough spot with this. I don’t attend TRBC, but a family member who does once told me Jonathan mentioned the talk he hears about Jr and said something to the effect of “guys, he’s still my brother.”

We can say he’s lacking in courage for not stepping in or being bolder in opposition, but put yourself in his shoes. I’d be terrified to lose my relationship with my brother. It would be really difficult to step in.
By Jonathan Carone
ATrain wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 10:16 am

He literally told people he wasn't going to say/do anything about his brother and that he was going to let God handle him. He actively knew there were issues and chose - for the better of his church - not to do/say anything about Jerry.

From a pastoral perspective - it was the absolute right move. His job is to protect his church, not the University. That said, because of that choice, I believe it disqualifies him for a position at the University. Jonathan has a great church he's leading and I think that's the perfect spot for him moving forward.

I want to stay consistent in my position that anyone in a leadership role who enabled or turned a blind eye to what went on should be removed from the school. This divorce isn't going to be pretty. It's going to involve some messiness we're not going to like. But if we want a healthy future apart from these scandals, it's what's needed.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I think Johnathan handled it in the best manner. My guess is he spent a lot of time in prayer. Much like my family did with me back in the day . It works. God's is always your best option. 🤔
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 4th, 2021, 1:31 pm I was told, David Wheeler would be a good replacement for Nasser.
The replacement for Naser is a pretty low bar. I am sure we can find the right person. Prevo needs to go ASAP, IMHO. He is 76 freaking years old and not educationally qualified to lead the school. I do like the fact that the athletic department seems to keep thriving.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]