This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
A retreat into small thinking and Tribalism. For Junior’s faults he thought big.
You guys are flippers. One minute Jr's destroying Doc's vision. The next minute he's Liberty's big thinker.

I personally think its more important to maintain Doc's vision than be the next Baylor, TCU or SMU.
LUOrange liked this
By BlueBlood
I'm not a Prevo fan. But, he has kept the school from negative headlines. I'm fine with laying low a bit longer. Then, when a new president comes in, he/she is "replacing Prevo" instead of "replacing Junior". A little distance between the scandal(s) and the future president isn't a bad thing in my book.

I've really enjoyed that our national stories the past few months have been the top 25 ranked football team and the basketball team in the tournament. My girls (current students) have really enjoyed the change of dialogue too. They needed a break - they were so embarrassed by Juniors behavior last year (even before the big scandal broke) . Jerrys behavior took a toll on the student body that some may not realize. They are loving the calm after the storm.
ballcoach15, TH Spangler, jinxy and 1 others liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
This may be LU sacrelige, but I don’t think Doc’s vision should be our true north when evaluating the continued success of the university. We can’t just uncritically accept every part of Falwell Sr and his desires as what would be best for LU. When Doc’s vision aligns with what would bring the most glory to God, great. However, a good chunk of Sr’s career includes culture warring and political baggage that would be better left in the past.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I can't believe we are still having this kind of conversation.

Jr did some good things, nobody will argue with that. However, he created a toxic environment and his personal life was not what one would expect from someone leading a Christian University.

Prevo seems like an ok guy, but we were told this was temporary and haven't heard a thing from the investigation. Transparency is important, even more so after all of these things that have transpired under Jr. Nothing about this passes the smell test and it is unbelievable that after all this time there are still people that have blinders up. I am not sure why but it tends to be the same people that defended Jr until the very end.
BlueBlood wrote: March 26th, 2021, 8:52 am I'm not a Prevo fan. But, he has kept the school from negative headlines. I'm fine with laying low a bit longer. Then, when a new president comes in, he/she is "replacing Prevo" instead of "replacing Junior". A little distance between the scandal(s) and the future president isn't a bad thing in my book.

I've really enjoyed that our national stories the past few months have been the top 25 ranked football team and the basketball team in the tournament. My girls (current students) have really enjoyed the change of dialogue too. They needed a break - they were so embarrassed by Juniors behavior last year (even before the big scandal broke) . Jerrys behavior took a toll on the student body that some may not realize. They are loving the calm after the storm.

The elephant in the room is what did the investigation uncover? Why has there been no communication over the past six months? Will anything be published, will it be transparent, how bad is it in reality? Is one of Prevo’s main goals to keep it all swept under the carpet? Simply ignoring a problem doesn’t make it go away and I believe there is more pain and embarrassment coming for the LU family.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I am not asking for full details but a periodic update should be given. Since the investigation started it has been back to business as usual. That isn't the way organizations act when they are serious about changing the culture.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
It has absolutely not been business as usual. Business as usual was JJ scandals and internal operational and personnel stupidity.

Prevo and culture change are not inherently mutually exclusive.

The disappointment of some is based on reality not meeting their expectations of the speed of change.

I’m not wholly disappointed. Yet.
jinxy, LUOrange liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 26th, 2021, 6:21 am
rogers3 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 9:57 pm Maybe it is time to start supporting Save71.
These latest appointments seem to be in the direction of 1971 and Doc's vision. Save71 should be encouraged or they're not who they say they are.

:dontgetit
So, would you suggest the Jerry wanted to always fill the ranks of leadership with unqualified people? I'm all for a vision of a world class Christian institution but the leadership seems to think cronyism is the best path forward. LU won't reach a respectable level without people of substance in the leadership. Can you explain how these latest moves position LU in a positive manner? I think that the faculty work hard to educate and develop students but the administration is more concerned with bread and circuses.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 26th, 2021, 8:31 am
A retreat into small thinking and Tribalism. For Junior’s faults he thought big.
You guys are flippers. One minute Jr's destroying Doc's vision. The next minute he's Liberty's big thinker.

I personally think its more important to maintain Doc's vision than be the next Baylor, TCU or SMU.
Sure, if we want to propagate your (& BC's) line of thinking.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: March 27th, 2021, 9:57 am TH love for Jr, he doesn't even see that his boy was turning Liberty into another TCU and SMU with his politics.
It took me a while. But if read my old post you'll see I moved on a long time ago. What I'm saying now is Prevo is more in line with Sr. If someone new is brought in Prevo or Dr Baucham would be good candidates to lead convo's.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Prevo was an enabler who allowed Jr to do his thing. Now we're seeing him bring his guys in while keeping the old leadership around. You may disagree with SAVE71's politics or motives but they've been on point keeping up on the leaderships moves and investigations.

Heck, Prevo just put his good friend Vines on the executive board and he's no saint either.

Liberty is continuing on a downward path.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure how you can say you've come around on agreeing that Jr needed to go and still be ok with Prevo sticking around. Just because we are out of the headlines and he posts a verse of the day doesn't mean we have changed in direction.

We are still heading in the same direction and brining on Vines, who has a history of covering up scandals, doesn't exactly scream transparency.
By Dustin Wahl
TH Spangler wrote: March 27th, 2021, 10:44 am Was watching spring day live. They said Prevo is permanent, and I think he'll do a good job. They also mentioned his total support for athletes.
Hey, thanks for sharing this. Who said that Prevo is permanent? Did it seem like speculation or hard knowledge?
By Dustin Wahl
Hi all, I am new to ASOR. I founded Save71 along with Justin Winter, Cal Best, and other Liberty alumni. If it's alright I thought I would occasionally join in this discussion? I am sure there is a wide variety of views on Liberty and its future in this group, and I have been told by so many people in the community that ASOR is an indispensable source of insight. I would love to learn some of what you folks have to share, in addition to sharing some of what I know.

Before getting into the weeds, I would like to say that as many of you may know, former Pres. Falwell is not doing well, personally and physically. As much as I'm sure most of us have a lot of reasons to be angry with Falwell, I think we need to keep him and his wife very closely in our prayers, as I have been encouraging my group to do for the past few years.

Regarding Prevo, I do not have proof that he will remain president, but I have been under the impression for a while that the April board meeting may announce Jonathan as chancellor and Prevo as president. I would also not be surprised if they announce the findings of Baker Tilly's investigation. Of course, whatever they announce publicly will necessarily be flattering to the Executive Committee -- if the investigation found anything nefarious, they can handle it privately, or blame Falwell Jr.
thepostman, ballah09, adam42381 and 1 others liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
This was posted a few months ago on here @ballcoach15

Keep up man :lol:

The Board unanimously voted to re-create the leadership model with both a Chancellor hired to be the University’s spiritual leader to ensure it is faithful to its Christian mission, and also a separate President hired to administrate the academics, operations, and employees of the University.
SOURCE
ballcoach15 liked this
By Dustin Wahl
A note of caution about the chancellor/president split:

Divorcing these two roles isn't necessarily illogical and plenty of universities do it. However, if the chancellor position is only "the University’s spiritual leader to ensure it is faithful to its Christian mission," then the presidential position will retain all the financial/academic authority. In the case of a Christian university like Liberty, financial and academic decisions are pretty key to the spiritual mission! Divorcing the two positions could very easily create a scenario where Jonathan speaks regularly in convocation again, prays more often before Liberty events, does an occasional interview, etc, but at the end of the day is effectively used as a spiritual shield for whatever the president and his staff feel like doing.

The key fact about LU's governance is that the chief executive and his executive committee (and in our present case, the chief executive's staff) essentially have total authority. The full board of trustees is out of the loop. Members of executive and senior leadership who do not happen to be in the inner circle are out of the loop. Professors are way, way out of the loop. Very possibly, a new chancellor would also be out of the loop.

If the board announces that Jonathan is chancellor, I don't think you should take it as a sign that Liberty's leadership is turning the page on the past. In my opinion, signs that Liberty is turning the page will be: a heartfelt apology from the board of trustees, signs of repentance (like resignations), a truly independent investigation that looks into allegations of sexual abuse and misconduct, and a candid desire for forgiveness and a renewed Christian vision for higher education. If you sat on the governing body responsible for shepherding thousands of young Christians, and Falwell's actions had just happened on your watch. . . aren't those the steps you would want to take?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
First off, I want to welcome Dustin to the board. This site has been the primary location for people who are passionate about this school to openly discuss issues for the past 15+ years. Even when JLFJR was posting regularly on the board, we went out of our way to be cordial but also open about concerns. The members of this board span the entire life of the school and in many cases are exceptionally well connected to not only the past but the inner workings of today. I think it is fair to say that even the strongest critics on here are so vocal primarily because they love the university so much.

Save71 has some detractors on here not because of its pursuit of reform but for a perception that it was Trump-fixated. I think more discussion on this forum will be enlightening to everyone who share the same ultimate goals.

As far as the split of responsibilities between chancellor and president, there is plenty of historical precedent in the school. It can be done effectively as long as Chancellor and Board have ultimate say.
thepostman, flameshaw, ballah09 and 4 others liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 27th, 2021, 4:13 pm First off, I want to welcome Dustin to the board. This site has been the primary location for people who are passionate about this school to openly discuss issues for the past 15+ years. Even when JLFJR was posting regularly on the board, we went out of our way to be cordial but also open about concerns. The members of this board span the entire life of the school and in many cases are exceptionally well connected to not only the past but the inner workings of today. I think it is fair to say that even the strongest critics on here are so vocal primarily because they love the university so much.

Save71 has some detractors on here not because of its pursuit of reform but for a perception that it was Trump-fixated. I think more discussion on this forum will be enlightening to everyone who share the same ultimate goals.

As far as the split of responsibilities between chancellor and president, there is plenty of historical precedent in the school. It can be done effectively as long as Chancellor and Board have ultimate say.
Bingo.
In addition to the fact they really think they pressured the bored to get rid of Jr, and then gloating about it. I was for getting rid of Jr. long before it happened, so I have no argument with their desire to see him removed. The "we won" comment, was uncalled for and sophomoric. No one won in this case, much less LU.
I think Jonathon will be the next Chancellor and have mentioned it several times. I believe this will be good for the school.
However, Prevo is not the answer full time and his continued presence is not a positive for LU. In addition, he knows of some changes that need to be made and is fearful to act on what he knows. He is tooooooo old and definitely not qualified. Increasing Vine's profile, and keeping "fancy pants" around, are just two examples. Vines knew of Jr's problems for some time and did nothing. I have no proof that Nasser did the same thing, but cannot imagine he didn't know as well. I do know he is not a nice/good person and is a coward.
As many have said, we need 100% transparency and close to 100% turnover in the board and leadership. Timing is the key here. If this doesn't happen, we really aren't much better off than we were a year ago.
All IMVHO.
@Dustin Wahl welcome to the Board! Stick around and give us your perspective even if it’s from a POV different from many. Differing perspectives are needed. I’m sure you’ll get “flamed” (see what I did there :D )

If these theories are true LU is going nowhere but backwards. They are back to small minded people thinking they can do big things but no skills to do them. I still maintain that the removal of anyone with the Falwell name or ties to the Family should have been a no brainer. Putting Jonathon in charge of Spiritual Life or something would be fine but that’s about it. The rest? Liberty Mountain just got taller with all the things they are Sweeping under the rugs
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]