This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: March 7th, 2021, 10:05 am On what basis does Prevo get to use the title Dr? He never finished a graduate degree in any academic field at any level. His honorary doctorate is from an unaccredited bible school that, to the best of my knowledge, does not even offer doctoral degrees. Furthermore, he did little to build and run the school like Doc did, unless you count enabling Jr’s boorish behavior. I can only imagine how those working at the school who earned their terminal degree feel about the situation.
Senior’s doctorates were honorary as well. I’m sure you know that.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The Liberty website describes him simply as Jerry Prevo. When does he refer to himself as Dr.? Is it possible that he no longer recognizes the honorary degree? Not sure.
Last edited by paradox on March 7th, 2021, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would start with his old twitter account before he created one in 2020 when he became president. https://twitter.com/drjerryprevo?lang=en

Then a quick review of news articles - he certainly made no effort to note it was honorary.

https://mustreadalaska.com/dr-jerry-pre ... -47-years/

https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2020/08 ... president/

YNCHBURG, Va. – We now know who will be leading Liberty University for the time being.
Liberty Board Chairman Dr. Jerry Prevo accepted the appointment by the Executive Committee of the Board to serve as acting president, the university announced on Monday evening.

https://www.wfxrtv.com/news/local-news/ ... signation/
Dr. Jerry Prevo addressed students virtually on Wednesday (August 26

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/2020/augus ... the-change
Liberty University announced on Monday that Dr. Jerry Prevo will serve as acting president of the school.

https://650keni.iheart.com/content/2019 ... -47-years/
paradox wrote: March 7th, 2021, 8:45 pm I see what you're saying. But, has he recently moved on from that description? He may have. That's good for us if he has.
I have been told most at the school call him by the title, but I do not know if he is avoiding using the title now or what his current position is on the matter.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote: March 7th, 2021, 8:24 pm
Whatisthetruth wrote: March 7th, 2021, 10:05 am On what basis does Prevo get to use the title Dr? He never finished a graduate degree in any academic field at any level. His honorary doctorate is from an unaccredited bible school that, to the best of my knowledge, does not even offer doctoral degrees. Furthermore, he did little to build and run the school like Doc did, unless you count enabling Jr’s boorish behavior. I can only imagine how those working at the school who earned their terminal degree feel about the situation.
Senior’s doctorates were honorary as well. I’m sure you know that.
The question is not is the doctorate honorary. It is, where did it come from. In addition Sr. was a certified genius and would have deserved/earned any honoraries he received. He was easily the smartest in his class at BBC. Most are aware of his amazing memory. Many people that get HD from these fundy skools, get them because they are friends with someone or they are from basement bible skools of < 100 students. They are like handing out donuts, except donuts are worth more.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
That's true. And in addition, it was Carl Henry and Art DeMoss who inspired Big Jerry to move things toward legitimacy and build the bigger vision of what we see today. That said, the honorary titles were not an issue in that context. We were upstarts, emerging from the BBC culture. But, now that the school is more mainstream academic and evangelical in the broader sense, it would be ill-advised. Wise move on Prevo's part, if he's moving away from that.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Back in the '60s & '70s, belit or not, honorary doctorates were often valued more than PhDs in certain independent Baptist circles. In the olden days, seminaries were often not post-grad schools. They were often 4-year Bible Colleges for al intents and purposes. Seminary classes without wasting any time on non-theology classes. In those days, the seeminaries that granted DMins & PhDs were considered suspicious by Independent Baptists because of their liberal/progressive approach to theology.

For this reason, I give Jerry a strong pass on using the Doc title. While others were sitting in classes he was busy changing the Fundamentalist world. But if you are claiming an honorary doctorate in 2021 in an academic setting you are clearly being disingenuous.

This is also one of the reasons I wish Richard Lee had been the one the board pushed into the interim presidential seat. And I think we all recognize now what a joke the term "interim" has turned out to be. Lee has the legitimate credentials.
Sly Fox wrote: March 8th, 2021, 10:43 am Back in the '60s & '70s, belit or not, honorary doctorates were often valued more than PhDs in certain independent Baptist circles. In the olden days, seminaries were often not post-grad schools. They were often 4-year Bible Colleges for al intents and purposes. Seminary classes without wasting any time on non-theology classes. In those days, the seeminaries that granted DMins & PhDs were considered suspicious by Independent Baptists because of their liberal/progressive approach to theology.

For this reason, I give Jerry a strong pass on using the Doc title. While others were sitting in classes he was busy changing the Fundamentalist world. But if you are claiming an honorary doctorate in 2021 in an academic setting you are clearly being disingenuous.

This is also one of the reasons I wish Richard Lee had been the one the board pushed into the interim presidential seat. And I think we all recognize now what a joke the term "interim" has turned out to be. Lee has the legitimate credentials.
According to the official LU Trustee page the title "Dr." still appears in Prevo's name.

https://www.liberty.edu/trustees/

Executive Committee
Harvey Gainey – Chairman
Carroll Hudson
Evangelist Tim Lee
Dr. Jerry Prevo
Dr. David Rhodenhizer
Gilbert “Bud” Tinney, Jr.
Dr. Jerry Vines
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
The more I learn (for certain), about how the board enabled Jr. the more I am for all of them going away. Honestly, I don't see what Prevo brings to the table either. The fact that Nasser is still there troubles me greatly. On a positive note, he seems to support the sports program.
Regardless, of which way we end up going, my only hope is that God continues to bless LU.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Talk to the folks at FA, and you'll find that Prevo is enjoying the use of the private jet, like, A LOT. It also doesn't help that he still lives and preaches runs a church network in Alaska. He's told people his timeline as prez will be about 2 years, then he's done.

How's that search going, guys?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote: March 11th, 2021, 9:44 am Talk to the folks at FA, and you'll find that Prevo is enjoying the use of the private jet, like, A LOT. It also doesn't help that he still lives and preaches runs a church network in Alaska. He's told people his timeline as prez will be about 2 years, then he's done.

How's that search going, guys?
Prevo retired as pastor of Anchorage Bap. Temple almost 2 years ago.
https://mustreadalaska.com/dr-jerry-pre ... -47-years/
By rtb72
Sly Fox wrote: March 11th, 2021, 12:53 pm I think it is becoming apparent that your last seven words would have sufficed.

At some point the board has to at least pretend like a search is occurring.
Looks like LU has our very own "swamp".
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 11:20 pm
Sly Fox wrote: March 11th, 2021, 12:53 pm I think it is becoming apparent that your last seven words would have sufficed.

At some point the board has to at least pretend like a search is occurring.
Looks like LU has our very own "swamp".
It has been that way for quite a while.
Purple Haize, rtb72 liked this
By LUAlum1215
Not sure if this has been brought up in other places on the board, but Prevo has been traveling quite a bit and speaking to push the 50th anniversary celebration. There are several people on those trips with him but from what I was told they are not letting much grass grow under their feet to the tune of multiple cities/states per week when they take these trips.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote: March 14th, 2021, 1:56 pm Not sure if this has been brought up in other places on the board, but Prevo has been traveling quite a bit and speaking to push the 50th anniversary celebration. There are several people on those trips with him but from what I was told they are not letting much grass grow under their feet to the tune of multiple cities/states per week when they take these trips.
In his defense, his job is to raise money and the profile of the school. I know that the President is my school was on the road close to 2/3 of the year.
Purple Haize liked this
By LUAlum1215
rogers3 wrote: March 14th, 2021, 8:12 pm
LUAlum1215 wrote: March 14th, 2021, 1:56 pm Not sure if this has been brought up in other places on the board, but Prevo has been traveling quite a bit and speaking to push the 50th anniversary celebration. There are several people on those trips with him but from what I was told they are not letting much grass grow under their feet to the tune of multiple cities/states per week when they take these trips.
In his defense, his job is to raise money and the profile of the school. I know that the President is my school was on the road close to 2/3 of the year.
For clarification I'm not suggesting he's doing anything wrong by traveling and speaking, just wanted to throw it out there his uses of the jet are very likely legitimate and not sketch.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There are plenty of seats on commercial flights these days that are much more economical. And these get-togethers for 50th anniversary aren't exactly major events. We had one in Houston and for the most part no one in alumni community knew it even happened.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]