If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I think it's win-win for everybody involved. We're nowhere near Gonzaga, but as we move up the charts, it helps all members with recruiting. btw...St Mary's has had some decent teams. They made it to the sweet 16 w/Dellavedova and McConnell in the backcourt. Mickey McConnell committed to McKay at UNM before he was let go.
By Geraldos Mustache
How many more consecutive ASUN Conference and Tournament Championships before the rest of the conference has had enough? It's a bitter-sweet thing, I suppose. On the one hand, it's great exposure for the ASUN conference to have a high caliber team like Liberty to bring positive exposure to themselves, and thus, the Conference. The downside is it makes for a lop-sided Conference.

I think the upside is good for the ASUN but great for Liberty. If we can turn our 3-year streak into 6-8 years, that would be incredible. Eventually, we'll need to find a more competitive conference. But in the meantime, our recruiting has improved, we are attracting better and better players. I would love to get to a point where Liberty is getting into the NCAA Tournament as a 7-10 seed instead of a 12-15 seed and start making some Sweet-16 appearances.

I am so thankful for the team culture Richie McKay has developed. The quality of the PEOPLE he is attracting to Liberty's basketball team is outstanding. It shows in the on-court performance, chemistry, team work, discipline, unselfishness.
flameshaw, ATrain liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Everyone uses the Gonzaga analogy, yet NO ONE has been able to replicate it. So many characteristics of their situation that are unique.

As for the ASUN, they’re already tired of it. Not quite sure how they would FORCE us out though.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
We can be in the ASun as long as we want to be, I don’t think they can force us out. They definitely aren’t going to try to be accommodating though. I’m sure we’re looking for the first available upgrade as well.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
N Bama is not going away. Every time we get the lead over 10, they get a 3, and now they have cut it to 60-55.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
We really struggle with full court pressure. If I were an opposing coach I'd bring it before it's needed. It's worked against us all year.
Dalegarz1 liked this
By Ill flame
I'm not sure the A-sun has established much of an identity yet. Do they want to be a group of like minded and competitively balanced schools like the MAC? Or are they looking to be a collection of rising schools chasing the power conference dream like the AAC?

If the A-sun wants to be the former then this arrangement doesn't work for either side. If it wants to be the latter, having a liberty that has the potential to win a game or two in the tournament every year and bring home more money for the rest of the conference to invest more in basketball makes sense for everyone.

I think there is an ideological divide in this conference that will eventually tear it apart as they expand.
LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 7th, 2021, 4:21 pm We can be in the ASun as long as we want to be, I don’t think they can force us out. They definitely aren’t going to try to be accommodating though. I’m sure we’re looking for the first available upgrade as well.
Honestly, do you blame them? We haven't hidden our intentions much. They are going to take care of the schools committed for the long haul. They can do that and we can just keep winning championships. I'm cool with that arrangement haha
stokesjokes, LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
After getting the lead to 5 on a 3 by Rode, we have a chance to put it away and give up offensive rebounds after 3 straight stops and they get a 3 on their 4th try. 2 point lead with 12 seconds.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 7th, 2021, 4:21 pm We can be in the ASun as long as we want to be, I don’t think they can force us out. They definitely aren’t going to try to be accommodating though. I’m sure we’re looking for the first available upgrade as well.
I think you are right. The BSC was able to use our transition to FBS in football to pressure us out. The ASUN knew the deal when they let us in.
By LUOrange
Ill flame wrote: March 7th, 2021, 4:38 pm I'm not sure the A-sun has established much of an identity yet. Do they want to be a group of like minded and competitively balanced schools like the MAC? Or are they looking to be a collection of rising schools chasing the power conference dream like the AAC?

If the A-sun wants to be the former then this arrangement doesn't work for either side. If it wants to be the latter, having a liberty that has the potential to win a game or two in the tournament every year and bring home more money for the rest of the conference to invest more in basketball makes sense for everyone.

I think there is an ideological divide in this conference that will eventually tear it apart as they expand.
You ask a great philosophical question for the conference. But I don't think they really know. Gumbart has said pubicly that he likes the visibility Liberty Football provides for the conference. I believe that the conference made a deal with EKU and JSU, and even possibly, UCA, that in exchange for helping to start ASUN FCS Football, they won't kick any of them out if they went FBS Indy like us.

You're probably right about a potential split, consider how we came in and dominated, then Bellamarine this year. Next year EKU and JSU will potentially be the 2nd and 3rd best teams. Then possibly UTC and /or Austin Peay the next. The newer schools do help us some, especially if we can keep beating everyone.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
IMO, Bellarmine is going to be really good once they’re eligible. Jacksonville St, and EKU are all solid programs, they’re usually top half of the OVC. So let’s enjoy it now because next year is going to be tough. Have to add Stetson too they got some really good pieces coming back. They underachieved this season.
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: March 7th, 2021, 6:35 pm IMO, Bellarmine is going to be really good once they’re eligible. Jacksonville St, and EKU are all solid programs, they’re usually top half of the OVC. So let’s enjoy it now because next year is going to be tough. Have to add Stetson too they got some really good pieces coming back. They underachieved this season.
There indeed will be more tough competition in the ASUN, but I am confident we will be more than ready for it. I don't know if Cuff or Parker will be back, but we have everyone else returning, including some really talented FR who didn't get to play a lot and at least 2 very special instant-impact recruits coming in. I suspect there will be at least one more, either another FR or a transfer. I look for us to continue to dominate.
LUOrange liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
It was nice to listen to a game with professional ESPN announcers vs. the up and comer wanna be dudes we've had to listed to on the ESPN3 broadcasts. Very knowledgeable and complimentary of the Liberty program. Nice production with research, graphics, videos that you would expect on the flagship ESPN channel. Felt good.
Kricket, LUOrange, flameshaw liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: March 7th, 2021, 8:29 pm It was nice to listen to a game with professional ESPN announcers...Very knowledgeable and complimentary of the Liberty program. Nice production with research, graphics, videos that you would expect on the flagship ESPN channel. Felt good.
I loved the graphic they put up of Flames alumni who later became professional athletes. They did their research, Study going all the way back to SID BREAM with his famous World Series slide at home as a member of the Atlanta Braves! :shock:
Kricket, LUOrange, Geraldos Mustache and 1 others liked this
By LUOrange
Cider Jim wrote: March 7th, 2021, 9:36 pm
Geraldos Mustache wrote: March 7th, 2021, 8:29 pm It was nice to listen to a game with professional ESPN announcers...Very knowledgeable and complimentary of the Liberty program. Nice production with research, graphics, videos that you would expect on the flagship ESPN channel. Felt good.
I loved the graphic they put up of Flames alumni who later became professional athletes. They did their research, Study going all the way back to SID BREAM with his famous World Series slide at home as a member of the Atlanta Braves! :shock:
The reminder that we hold the largest championship win in Big South history was nice too.
By Tnobes
olldflame wrote: March 7th, 2021, 7:08 am
Ill flame wrote: March 7th, 2021, 3:33 am
Geraldos Mustache wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:37 pm Liberty is a nightmare for the other ASUN teams.
Three ASUN conference championships and three trips to the NCAA in our three years in the conference.
Tomorrow, we may hoist our third conference tournament championship in three years.
Liberty is dominating - and getting better.
Richie McKay is the class of the ASUN.
Liberty recruiting is getting better and better.
Liberty has state-of-the-art facilities.

I love the view from the top. Being a Liberty fan is great. I don't take ANYTHING for granted, but I don't see Liberty slowing down or losing anytime soon.
The rest of the ASUN must hate Liberty.
I would like to think this could turn into a Gonzaga situation where we could eventually start making deep runs in the tournament and bring some money and exposure back to the rest of the conference resulting in a win-win situation for everyone. Instead I think the other teams will get so tired of competing against a team with exponentially more resources that they will make us leave. Either way im enjoying the ride.
It looks to me like the ASUN is already showing some early signs of "buyer's remorse". How shall I put it? It seems like they are bending over backwards NOT to show us any favoritism. 8) I think they knew what they were getting though, and they also know what they HAVE. We make winning championships more difficult for the rest of the conference, but we also elevate it's overall image and profile.
It's not much different than being in a conference with Clemson or Ohio State. The ACC is all Clemson and the big 10 is only Ohio State. Michigan and Wisconsin pretend to be contenders but aren't. Liberty owns the ASUN until someone stops them and eventually someone will. North Alabama almost did today
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: March 7th, 2021, 9:36 pm
Not to be nit-picky but that was against my beloved Pirates in the National League Championships. That was the last year Pittsburgh won a Division title. They have never recovered from that.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I love the conversaton about how challenging the ASUN will be next year. But I am in Olldflame's camp. We will likely be improved from this year. The two incoming freshmen both have starting potential and I believe we haven't come close to seeing what Abii & Jackson can do. Cuffee & Parker could be big losses if they bolt. But if they stay ...
LUOrange liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 8th, 2021, 11:02 am I love the conversaton about how challenging the ASUN will be next year. But I am in Olldflame's camp. We will likely be improved from this year. The two incoming freshmen both have starting potential and I believe we haven't come close to seeing what Abii & Jackson can do. Cuffee & Parker could be big losses if they bolt. But if they stay ...
EKU returns their top 6 scorers and they won 20 games. A lot of key players COULD be returning for other teams as well. While we're going to be better next year but so will the other schools.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]