This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By dbackjon
Registration Days Posts
#598290
ballcoach15 wrote: January 9th, 2020, 6:33 pm Gay marriage will send many people to hell. It's wrong and should never be tolerated in any situation..
Actually, it is people like you that will be heading there, since you claim to be a Christian, but clearly are not.

Please show me where Christ preached against Homosexuality. (Hint, he didn't) As for Paul, well, like the Levitical chapters mistranslated, he was speaking against Pedastry, not homosexuality.

And the sins of Sodom? Had nothing to do with Homosexuality, everything to do with attitudes like yours.
ATrain liked this
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
Posts
#598291
dbackjon wrote: March 24th, 2020, 4:06 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 9th, 2020, 6:33 pm Gay marriage will send many people to hell. It's wrong and should never be tolerated in any situation..
Actually, it is people like you that will be heading there, since you claim to be a Christian, but clearly are not.

Please show me where Christ preached against Homosexuality. (Hint, he didn't) As for Paul, well, like the Levitical chapters mistranslated, he was speaking against Pedastry, not homosexuality.

And the sins of Sodom? Had nothing to do with Homosexuality, everything to do with attitudes like yours.
Genuine question.

Is Romans 1:26-28 irrelevant?

It is New Testament. It is inspired.

https://www.bible.com/bible/compare/ROM.1.26-28
User avatar
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
#598300
Sorry that I somehow missed this discussion back in January. But many of us suddenly have lots of time on our hands these days.

dbackjon is a good guy but he has a pretty strong axe to grind on our school due to our position on this one issue. We have had plenty of discussions over the years on multiple boards. With some folks we can agree to disagree and still be good with each other. I find that to be a better position than when I was younger and couldn't handle someone who saw things differently than I did. Plus he was blessed to go to school in Flagstaff. Ask Chris Lang how awesome that place is. Gorgeous.

As for dbackjon's question about Jesus' silence, that is rather easy in my mind to summarize. He wa a Jewish rabbi who was teaching and living under the law in his ministry years. It would have been unusual for him to challenge the law since gay activity was already deemed sinful. I will entertain discussions on Paul's writings based on context but the lack of Jesus speaking does not bother me a bit.

In regard to the 2009 discussion, the world around us has changed quite bit in that period of time. But that shouldn't change how we look at Scripture.
User avatar
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
#598303
I sure hope my comment wasn't taken the wrong way. I wasn't trying to completely dismiss his point of view but it seems people read a post here and there from a select few members and then believe it must be common place for Liberty students and alum.
By lynchburgwildcats
Posts
#598315
I’m not going to argue over scripture because frankly it will be a waste of time because the people who believe the scripture says God believes it’s a sin won’t listen no matter what.

However, the federal and state governments aren’t supposed to be in the business of policing and legislating based on what the Bible or any other religious text says. So what the Bible says should be considered irrelevant for those purposes. Now if an individual legislator makes their own personal decisions based on that then that is their right, but the government’s intent isn’t supposed to be to enforce Christian Law, Sharia Law, etc.
By lynchburgwildcats
Posts
#598316
ballcoach15 wrote: March 25th, 2020, 7:44 am Just a matter of time before some on the far left will want to marry their dog. Marriage should be "man and woman", no exceptions.
People always bring up stupid arguments like this but never factor in the law of consent. Two adult men can consent to marriage, sexual intercourse, or anything else. An animal, an insect, a reptile, a fish, a child, a plant, an inanimate object, etc. can’t consent. Unless we waive the law of consent then a marriage between anything but humans isn’t legally valid. If you want to marry your dog, fine, go ahead weirdo if you can find someone to do it, but it can’t be legally recognized due to lack of consent.
thepostman, ATrain liked this
User avatar
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#598320
God gave us freewill. What you do with it is up to you. Whether you get it right or not is between you and Him. Bible is pretty clear on how to get it right and if you want to, it's comes prepaid :!:

And by the way, civil unions are legal in the US and carry all civil rights with it. So its your choice. So whats the problem here :dontgetit
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
Posts
#598322
lynchburgwildcats wrote: March 25th, 2020, 8:15 amHowever, the federal and state governments aren’t supposed to be in the business of policing and legislating based on what the Bible or any other religious text says. So what the Bible says should be considered irrelevant for those purposes. Now if an individual legislator makes their own personal decisions based on that then that is their right, but the government’s intent isn’t supposed to be to enforce Christian Law, Sharia Law, etc.
This is exactly where I land. Whether or not I personally think it's a sin or not has no bearing on if the American Government should not give people marital rights. Marriage became much more than a religious commitment decades ago when we tied health care, power of attorney, and so many other governmental rights to it.
By ballcoach15
Posts
#598333
Technically some sexual stuff is still illegal in some states. I believe it's illegal in Virginia to have sexual intercourse unless you are married. Now granted, that law isn't enforced.
User avatar
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#598334
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 25th, 2020, 9:12 am
lynchburgwildcats wrote: March 25th, 2020, 8:15 amHowever, the federal and state governments aren’t supposed to be in the business of policing and legislating based on what the Bible or any other religious text says. So what the Bible says should be considered irrelevant for those purposes. Now if an individual legislator makes their own personal decisions based on that then that is their right, but the government’s intent isn’t supposed to be to enforce Christian Law, Sharia Law, etc.
This is exactly where I land. Whether or not I personally think it's a sin or not has no bearing on if the American Government should not give people marital rights. Marriage became much more than a religious commitment decades ago when we tied health care, power of attorney, and so many other governmental rights to it.
Christians realize God gave each of us freewill. Christians also respect the governments laws. What I see is, LGBT activist not being satisfied with civil unions and the civil rights that come with it. They want to restrict pastors/churches from teaching the word as they interpret it. Basicly want to require them to teach that it's not a sexual sin. Like ballcoach said, where does the agenda stop. None of this is new, man has been tring to have it his forever. It's recorded all through the Bible. :lol: :lol:

I guess they think they will not have to repent if they get pastors to not teach sexul sins.
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
Posts
#598337
The reason I don't like the idea of restricting LGBTQ people to civil unions is because I don't believe they should be given a lesser version of something because my religious beliefs say it's wrong. They're entitled to everything the government offers straight people.

Where I have an issue is forcing churches to perform the weddings. There should be religious freedom there to deny something that goes against their religious beliefs.

LGBTQ people should have the freedom to get married.

Christian, Jewish, and Muslim places of worship should have the freedom to deny marrying them in their places of worship.
User avatar
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#598339
Call it what you want. Call it civil marriage. Purple should have some fun with the description "civil marriage " :lol:

Just don't call it biblical marriage.
User avatar
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#598344
Do you realize how many heterosexual "civil unions" are enter into to take advantage of government entitlements ...? Social Security spousal benefits come to mine? Anything other than Biblical marriage has become a joke. :lol:
flameshaw liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
#622879
Purple Haize wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 10:06 am
ATrain wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 9:55 am An update on the pending split: https://www.yahoo.com/news/united-metho ... 20984.html
Oh I thought you meant someone else. I almost had the sadz.
David and I are as solid as ever, planning a fall getaway to Oktoberfest, Innsbruck, Verona, Venice, and Salzburg - depending on what the COVID restrictions are in September/October.
Purple Haize liked this
By rtb72
Posts
#622888
I do expect a split. Our church family is around 70/30 leaning toward the more traditional, however the 30% are quite passionate about their position, and will leave if they do not see change. Likewise, my family and I will probably leave if we do see some of the change proposed. I do agree with the insinuation that putting the conversation and ultimate decision off for another 1 1/2 years is probably not the best course. That will only allow for more fodder and scuttlebutt.
User avatar
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#622894
I don't know why some people think a church changing it's definition of sin, sex outside of biblical marriage, changes anything with a righteous God. He will deal with unrepented sin one day.
User avatar
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
#622900
TH Spangler wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 7:45 am I don't know why some people think a church changing it's definition of sin, sex outside of biblical marriage, changes anything with a righteous God. He will deal with unrepented sin one day.
Hey, it is making a statement, "I'm too cool for school." 8) I have much more respect for people who live the gay lifestyle, than those who know it is not biblical, but somehow pretending it is, just for the attention.
TH Spangler liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
#622903
flameshaw wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 1:45 pm
TH Spangler wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 7:45 am I don't know why some people think a church changing it's definition of sin, sex outside of biblical marriage, changes anything with a righteous God. He will deal with unrepented sin one day.
Hey, it is making a statement, "I'm too cool for school." 8) I have much more respect for people who live the gay lifestyle, than those who know it is not biblical, but somehow pretending it is, just for the attention.
Ok, WHAT, precisely, IS the "gay lifestyle?" This term was thrown around a lot by the church in the 90's/00's, and is still used by a lot of older members of society.
The Devil You Know on ViceTV

Watched it last night. My wife and I both agreed[…]

Enough has been seen to sicken most people. More t[…]

2021 Verbal Commit: PF Bryson Spell

Since Bryson never signed with Cincinnati, this […]

Early Look at 2021 Opponents

You come thru Philly my phone better ring […]