This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
#622148
flameshaw wrote: February 12th, 2021, 8:07 pm
jinxy wrote: February 12th, 2021, 9:18 am Rogers. All my point is that its not so simple to just whack everybody and move on. There are some good folks involved at all levels of the board. This has been an eye opening experience for many. I do however think there is enough evidence to remove a couple so far that clearly covered for jr. Flameshaws peter story was pretty accurate on one imparticular. It actually does take time to do things the right way and the lower levels of the board are committed to seeing that through from everything ive heard. It sounds like the report may be sometime in march. Not sure if that means it will be public by then.
This is where my disappointment comes in. There were several on the bored who knew Jr. was not representing LU as he should and did nothing about it. In some cases, enabled him. Those people should not be on the search committee or the bored, effective tomorrow. IMHO.
Well, we are all in agreement. There are still some good folks (like Mcfarland), but will they last?
User avatar
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
#622766
stokesjokes wrote: February 6th, 2021, 6:56 pm I think there’s a misconception here that Jerry’s great sin that the board should have been aware of is the pool boy stuff. It reminds me of Sodom. Everyone always thinks of Sodom and sexual sin, it’s even got a sexual sin named after it. But what does the Bible say the sin of Sodom was?

Ezekiel 16:49-50: 49 “‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom:(A) She and her daughters were arrogant,(B) overfed and unconcerned;(C) they did not help the poor and needy.(D) 50 They were haughty(E) and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.(F)”

It’s excusable for the board and it’s members to not have known about the pool boy or even the drinking. The unrepentant arrogance, the callousness, the inexcusable way Jr talked to and about those who “dared” to think differently than him was obvious and well-known. The board didn’t care as long as Liberty was successful by worldly measures. That’s my issue and that’s what Prevo is responsible for: the financial health of the university was made a higher priority than its spiritual health. It’s been very clear in the way Prevo talks about the Jerry Jr era that he still worships that golden calf. I’ve been told by those familiar with his ministry in Alaska that it’s apparent there, too. That’s why he’s not the guy.

And given how everything has been handled up until now by the same people responsible for the current search, I’m not optimistic. They have not earned the benefit of the doubt. Until they are transparent in their process or until the next president is hired, they won’t have it from me.
^ This, right here
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#622788
Did anyone happen to see Megan Kelly on Maher's Real Time last night? She had to pull her young kids out of elite NYC schools due to confusion over transgender and supremacy ideologies. Maher agreed. Interesting conversation between a moderate conservative and a moderate liberal. Even liberals, now, are shocked by the deep activism of the left
Chippy liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
#622798
paradox wrote: February 27th, 2021, 8:41 pm Did anyone happen to see Megan Kelly on Maher's Real Time last night? She had to pull her young kids out of elite NYC schools due to confusion over transgender and supremacy ideologies. Maher agreed. Interesting conversation between a moderate conservative and a moderate liberal. Even liberals, now, are shocked by the deep activism of the left
So which one of these are involved in the new president conversation?
thepostman liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#622802
rogers3 wrote: February 28th, 2021, 10:50 am
paradox wrote: February 27th, 2021, 8:41 pm Did anyone happen to see Megan Kelly on Maher's Real Time last night? She had to pull her young kids out of elite NYC schools due to confusion over transgender and supremacy ideologies. Maher agreed. Interesting conversation between a moderate conservative and a moderate liberal. Even liberals, now, are shocked by the deep activism of the left
So which one of these are involved in the new president conversation?

Definitely, the Camera Man....but that's double-secret information.

But in all seriousness, our education system is crumbling before our eyes. People are frustrated with our unions and our institutions. Parents are looking for an escape from all the weirdo ideology. Liberty is far more rational by comparison. That is, if we can keep our heads on straight and avoid sounding like fanatics and extremists ourselves. Bizarre idol-worship comparisons and other forms of judgementalism seem excessive and appear to fall short of the goal IMO.
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
Posts
#622812
paradox wrote: February 28th, 2021, 11:21 am
rogers3 wrote: February 28th, 2021, 10:50 am
paradox wrote: February 27th, 2021, 8:41 pm Did anyone happen to see Megan Kelly on Maher's Real Time last night? She had to pull her young kids out of elite NYC schools due to confusion over transgender and supremacy ideologies. Maher agreed. Interesting conversation between a moderate conservative and a moderate liberal. Even liberals, now, are shocked by the deep activism of the left
So which one of these are involved in the new president conversation?

Definitely, the Camera Man....but that's double-secret information.

But in all seriousness, our education system is crumbling before our eyes. People are frustrated with our unions and our institutions. Parents are looking for an escape from all the weirdo ideology. Liberty is far more rational by comparison. That is, if we can keep our heads on straight and avoid sounding like fanatics and extremists ourselves. Bizarre idol-worship comparisons and other forms of judgementalism seem excessive and appear to fall short of the goal IMO.
Liberty will always sound bizarre to person or group of people at any time. Also, our education is not just crumbling now. We've been at the bottom of the spectrum for a few decades. International students come to the states to go to a prestigious college by name so they can receive a paper and get better job opportunities when most return home. A little of reality is finally kicking in huh? :lol: :)
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#622837
The opportunity is there for those who want it. Many people have had their faith deepened or renewed here. Many have gown academically. Many have been challenged. There is a real opportunity to see things from an entirely different perspective here. And there are many who are appreciative of that. Some even find their spouses here.

Not perfect though. If you're looking for that, no institution can provide that.
flameshaw liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
#622865
Hate to say this, but my secular administration gives me far more hope than the crowd at Liberty. My daughter is headed to UofL and I have no doubt that the non-believers around her will have values that surpass those of many of the friends at her private Christian School. Sad but true. Maybe it is just Lynchburg, but what has sprung out of Liberty seems to be more about the show than about deep seated values (unless they align with Trump's)
ballah09, Yacht Rock liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#622869
I see what you're trying to say. Nonetheless, your values are up to you. You're free to decide. Christian education provides opportunities to those who wish to take advantage of them. It would be nice if we could churn-out ideal Mennonites. But that's not our calling. Our calling is to live our faith out in the culture at large. Everyone's got to discover that for themselves. Make it their own. This would involve the struggle with sin. Something we should all be familiar with.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
#622872
paradox wrote: March 1st, 2021, 11:21 pm I see what you're trying to say. Nonetheless, your values are up to you. You're free to decide. Christian education provides opportunities to those who wish to take advantage of them. It would be nice if we could churn-out ideal Mennonites. But that's not our calling. Our calling is to live our faith out in the culture at large. Everyone's got to discover that for themselves. Make it their own. This would involve the struggle with sin. Something we should all be familiar with.
Leadership should be held to a higher standard. This has not happened at Liberty and sadly there seems to be little interest in bringing leadership in that adheres to a higher standard. If course, none of this matters within a moral relativist framework.
#622873
Christian schools and Christian values are attacked and legislated against by the left. Major sacrifices have been made by a handful of private schools in order to remain focused …. and not be "cancelled". Sad? Who ever takes over post Jerry Jr will have their hands full.

https://deanclancy.com/a-list-of-colleg ... ral-money/

Best friends daughter just graduated from one, Patrick Henry College. She's in law school at Regent University now.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#622877
rogers3 wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 8:00 am
paradox wrote: March 1st, 2021, 11:21 pm I see what you're trying to say. Nonetheless, your values are up to you. You're free to decide. Christian education provides opportunities to those who wish to take advantage of them. It would be nice if we could churn-out ideal Mennonites. But that's not our calling. Our calling is to live our faith out in the culture at large. Everyone's got to discover that for themselves. Make it their own. This would involve the struggle with sin. Something we should all be familiar with.
Leadership should be held to a higher standard. This has not happened at Liberty and sadly there seems to be little interest in bringing leadership in that adheres to a higher standard. If course, none of this matters within a moral relativist framework.
Institutions are run by humans. Humans are corrupt. Therefore, all institutions have to deal with corruption on some level. Junior crossed the line; now he's out. We would all agree that he should've been out earlier. I wouldn't call that relativism though. It's no easy task removing a guy who's worth 110 million and who also just happens to be the founder's son.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#622878
TH Spangler wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 9:21 am Christian schools and Christian values are attacked and legislated against by the left. Major sacrifices have been made by a handful of private schools in order to remain focused …. and not be "cancelled". Sad? Who ever takes over post Jerry Jr will have their hands full.

https://deanclancy.com/a-list-of-colleg ... ral-money/

Best friends daughter just graduated from one, Patrick Henry College. She's in law school at Regent University now.
Many feel that Jonathon as Chancellor is a foregone conclusion. So, conceding that, I think it would be cool if we had Jon as Chancellor and Alum Matt Hildebrand as Administrator.
By stokesjokes
Posts
#622880
paradox wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 10:06 am
rogers3 wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 8:00 am
paradox wrote: March 1st, 2021, 11:21 pm I see what you're trying to say. Nonetheless, your values are up to you. You're free to decide. Christian education provides opportunities to those who wish to take advantage of them. It would be nice if we could churn-out ideal Mennonites. But that's not our calling. Our calling is to live our faith out in the culture at large. Everyone's got to discover that for themselves. Make it their own. This would involve the struggle with sin. Something we should all be familiar with.
Leadership should be held to a higher standard. This has not happened at Liberty and sadly there seems to be little interest in bringing leadership in that adheres to a higher standard. If course, none of this matters within a moral relativist framework.
Institutions are run by humans. Humans are corrupt. Therefore, all institutions have to deal with corruption on some level. Junior crossed the line; now he's out. We would all agree that he should've been out earlier. I wouldn't call that relativism though. It's no easy task removing a guy who's worth 110 million and who also just happens to be the founder's son.
I think what most people miss when the shrug their shoulders and say “well, humans are sinful, what are ya gonna do?” is the reality that systems and structures can enable and encourage corruption to flourish, while healthy systems and structures will do the opposite.

This is one of the reckonings happening in personality-driven Christianity. When someone like Ravi Zacharias or Bill Hybels, or James McDonald, or Mark Driscoll, or Jerry Jr, etc is exposed, we need to do more than say “welp, we got the bad guy out, our work here is done!”

We’ve got to examine what’s going on in these institutions to allow the corruption and sinfulness to continue for so long and for many of these cases, what is making the ministry so reliant on one person that people are scared to hold them accountable.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#622881
Living a life of luxury and indulgence is antithetical to faith. A complete dichotomy. Unfortunately though, many Christians always seem to be looking for some kind of validation from this world. Something that would somehow make us appear less foolish to the Greeks. Excessive wealth and power is just one flavor. There are many other varieties.
rogers3, Sly Fox liked this
User avatar
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
#622885
Then there is the group that seeks to get attention by being "cool" and try to shock us with their liberal/woke/cancel, values. I submit that they are very insecure personally and just need validation at some level, regardless of the content.
We are going to require a strong leader, who is able to cast and navigate a powerful vision, path to achieve a return to our distinctly-christian foundations.
He/she needs to be in their late 40's early 50's and more interested in building, than enjoying the perks of leadership and/or reminiscing on past successes or experiences. 8) 8)
jinxy liked this
By Longshots
Posts
#622936
Whoever the next President is, their number one priority should be Liberty University. Nothing else. We saw what happened when it wasn't. I'll be the first to admit I don't know the names of most of these people here and to be honest, that's what I want. Not all of us work in ministry or in Christian companies around the south and have had to deal with comments from colleagues about everything that has gone on. Any man or woman who can help the university grow while maintaining its Christian roots is just fine in my books.
ballcoach15 liked this
User avatar
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
#623050
thepostman wrote: January 31st, 2021, 11:49 pm I too have noticed that and think it was mentioned elsewhere on here before. Not a good look for sure and additional proof that he is getting awfully comfortable in that chair. Peoole are buying into him too.

Saw this posted on social media today in response to the snow ball fight he had with students today

Image

If enough alumni with any sway feel the same way, I dont see much changing. If Jerry P stays on and the board stays intact, I'm not sure how I'll react to that.
I was told no more than 60 days into his "interim" role by a long-time board member referencing that after a couple trips on the private jet now at his disposal, "Prevo was now starting to get comfortable in his role" and "might decide to stay awhile". He likes Prevo but it was clear what he meant.
#623069
On what basis does Prevo get to use the title Dr? He never finished a graduate degree in any academic field at any level. His honorary doctorate is from an unaccredited bible school that, to the best of my knowledge, does not even offer doctoral degrees. Furthermore, he did little to build and run the school like Doc did, unless you count enabling Jr’s boorish behavior. I can only imagine how those working at the school who earned their terminal degree feel about the situation.
flameshaw, phoenix liked this
User avatar
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
#623116
thepostman wrote: March 7th, 2021, 10:31 am We've talked about that already. He has an honorary doctorate from Hyles-Anderson

Which is a joke and nothing anybody should brag about.
Unaccredited, bible skool, most teachers don't have accredited degrees or degrees of any kind. One of the worst history's of sexual assaults and perversions in the history of modern fundy skools. Lots of substantial rumors about murder by David Hyles. Do some research, it will put chest on your hair.
  • 1
  • 38
  • 39
  • 40
  • 41
  • 42
  • 46
The Devil You Know on ViceTV

Watched it last night. My wife and I both agreed[…]

Enough has been seen to sicken most people. More t[…]

2021 Verbal Commit: PF Bryson Spell

Since Bryson never signed with Cincinnati, this […]

Early Look at 2021 Opponents

You come thru Philly my phone better ring […]