This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Veritas
Whatever happened to the “fall 2021” school of engineering building? I don’t see any signs of construction or news releases regarding same. Bumped back in time in favor of the new cafeteria?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Veritas wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:42 pm Whatever happened to the “fall 2021” school of engineering building? I don’t see any signs of construction or news releases regarding same. Bumped back in time in favor of the new cafeteria?
Projects falling behind timeline at Liberty? NEVER [/sarcasm]
By Veritas
Touché. I have a high schooler interested in this field, possibly as a honors level student, so I’m curious about the resource commitment by the university.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Paging CJ!

I do know that the other primary Christian engineering school in the nation was reportedly sweating bullets in East Texas when the plans of this facility were announced in fear of having their profs poached. But I suspect pushing new projects forward has been disrupted by the administration chaos of the past year.

What type of engineering is he/she considering, Veritas?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Veritas, I can answer anything Honors Program related (our application deadline is March 1), but I don't have any answers about the Engineering program, other than to say that we have 58 Honors Program students majoring in Engineering. Study
By Veritas
Sly Fox wrote: February 24th, 2021, 9:48 am Paging CJ!

I do know that the other primary Christian engineering school in the nation was reportedly sweating bullets in East Texas when the plans of this facility were announced in fear of having their profs poached. But I suspect pushing new projects forward has been disrupted by the administration chaos of the past year.

What type of engineering is he/she considering, Veritas?
Excellent question. Mrs. Veritas has an EE background, so maybe in that direction. But apparently also CS as an alternate and different route. As a bonus, that program already has a new building 8)
By Veritas
Cider Jim wrote: February 24th, 2021, 1:54 pm Veritas, I can answer anything Honors Program related (our application deadline is March 1), but I don't have any answers about the Engineering program, other than to say that we have 58 Honors Program students majoring in Engineering. Study
Thank you--I appreciate the offer. It's been about 25 years since I left the mountain, so I realize many, many aspects of the school have changed. I have two teenagers nearing the appropriate point for college decisions, both homeschooled in the classical conversations curriculum. I'd like to hear more offline.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Buildings do factor into decisions especially for prospective students.

All three of my kids did CC when they were younger and my last one is finishing up 8th grade in Challenge B. Next year she's following her older brother & sister's path of Logos Online School for high school. Seeing the Veritas name had me immediatey thinking of the curriculum.
By cruzan_flame13
I'm actually a little disappointed that they've not started the SoE building. I understand the conflicts that could produce delays, however, we should've had a building for this school during the transformation era under Jr. Also, I hope those now and future leadership realize its okay to spread out academic buildings. I know this thread is about SoE, but they're other major[fields] that need their own buildings as resditial population increases along with graduate schools/campus.
By Veritas
Sly Fox wrote: February 25th, 2021, 5:26 pm Buildings do factor into decisions especially for prospective students.

All three of my kids did CC when they were younger and my last one is finishing up 8th grade in Challenge B. Next year she's following her older brother & sister's path of Logos Online School for high school. Seeing the Veritas name had me immediatey thinking of the curriculum.
Quite true. While somewhat superficial, the physical plant of the school is an outward indication of the level of investment in and importance of a particular field of study.

Both of our teens began their studies in the CC curriculum from age 4/5. We've moved on to a newer co-op that allows for more hands on work by the tutors, as the rigidity (ironically!) of the local CC group was becoming overbearing. Did your older kids perceive that their CC background was helpful/preparatory for later studies? I was not educated in a rigorous pedagogical system such as CC, so it will be interesting to observe my kids' transition to undergraduate and graduate studies.

But back to buildings, at least there may be a new cafeteria! I am old enough to remember SAGA, which at the time was colloquially referred to as the Soviet Attempt to Gag America :D. I also helped move the old SAGA kitchen equipment to Reber Thomas while I worked for building services; the back areas of that old cafeteria were unbelievably disgusting and filthy. Glad I didn't eat there for very long!
LU 57 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Veritas wrote:Both of our teens began their studies in the CC curriculum from age 4/5. We've moved on to a newer co-op that allows for more hands on work by the tutors, as the rigidity (ironically!) of the local CC group was becoming overbearing. Did your older kids perceive that their CC background was helpful/preparatory for later studies? I was not educated in a rigorous pedagogical system such as CC, so it will be interesting to observe my kids' transition to undergraduate and graduate studies.
My son did CC from 1st through 9th grade before transitioning to Logos. When we started there were only two CC campuses in Greater Houston. Now they are everywhere. My oldest daughter transitioned to Logos for her sophomore year and has a 4.0 in all honors courses. My son didn't take his studies as seriously but did enough to gain admission to the top two state universities in Texas via the holistic route. My youngest is finishing up 8th grade in Challenge B but moved her math to an online program this year to help her make the transition to Logos for her freshman year. I would suggest that the earlier years of CC are the strongest with Essentials having a big impact on the writing capabilities of all my kids. As we worked up into Challenge the curriculum wasn't as rigorous especially in math & science. That's why we looked around for classical options with transcripts in grades outside of our house. All three of our kids are exceptional communicators in significant part due to CC. We would do CC all over again up to middle school. Once you get into Challenge, some kids take it seriously and thrive. Others put in minimal effort and consider it more social opportunity than educational. My oldest daughter is self-driven and thrived. My youngest is brilliant and always seeks the path of least resistance. I hope that helps.
Veritas liked this
By LUAlum1215
It's been since late July that I was close enough to connections to get inside info on these things, but at that point the SoE was set to go up in the field across from the ice center and beside the Extended Stay. The area in front of DeMoss was originally for SoE but had been reallocated for a stand alone School of Nursing. I have heard rumblings from a few different people working for and with the University that DeMoss could have some issues itself requiring some fairly substantial renovations so that may be taking precedent over other projects. Not to mention the absolute chaos administratively over the last 10 or so months.

Edit: Spelling.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote: March 14th, 2021, 1:44 pm It's been since late July that I was close enough to connections to get inside info on these things, but at that point the SoE was set to go up in the field across from the ice center and beside the Extended Stay. The area in front of DeMoss was originally for SoE but had been reallocated for a stand alone School of Nursing. I have heard rumblings from a few different people working for and with the University that DeMoss could have some issues itself requiring some fairly substantial renovations so that may be taking precedent over other projects. Not to mention the absolute chaos administratively over the last 10 or so months.

Edit: Spelling.
The DeMoss Conspiracy is alive and well (and maybe not as much of a conspiracy as once thought)
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Well everyone knows that Demoss is only one story because the roof structure can’t support the weight of additional levels

At least that’s what 1988 me was told

EDIT: crap Haize beat me to it
By LU 57
Veritas wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:40 am
Sly Fox wrote: February 25th, 2021, 5:26 pm Buildings do factor into decisions especially for prospective students.

Quite true. While somewhat superficial, the physical plant of the school is an outward indication of the level of investment in and importance of a particular field of study.

Both of our teens began their studies in the CC curriculum from age 4/5. We've moved on to a newer co-op that allows for more hands on work by the tutors, as the rigidity (ironically!) of the local CC group was becoming overbearing. Did your older kids perceive that their CC background was helpful/preparatory for later studies? I was not educated in a rigorous pedagogical system such as CC, so it will be interesting to observe my kids' transition to undergraduate and graduate studies.

But back to buildings, at least there may be a new cafeteria! I am old enough to remember SAGA, which at the time was colloquially referred to as the Soviet Attempt to Gag America :D. I also helped move the old SAGA kitchen equipment to Reber Thomas while I worked for building services; the back areas of that old cafeteria were unbelievably disgusting and filthy. Glad I didn't eat there for very long!
I had forgotten the old cafeteria was known as SAGA. I remember the joke as well. What did SAGA actually stand for?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote: March 14th, 2021, 5:03 pm Well everyone knows that Demoss is only one story because the roof structure can’t support the weight of additional levels

You have shorter legs
By Veritas
LU 57 wrote: March 14th, 2021, 5:50 pm
Veritas wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:40 am

I had forgotten the old cafeteria was known as SAGA. I remember the joke as well. What did SAGA actually stand for?
Saga food corporation - it appears saga was not an acronym. It was bought out by Marriott in the 1980s. Food quality did not demonstrably improve post acquisition!
By Veritas
PAmedic wrote: March 14th, 2021, 5:03 pm Well everyone knows that Demoss is only one story because the roof structure can’t support the weight of additional levels

lol - I recall being told that in 1991. Funny how those “facts” circulated so widely.
By LUAlum1215

Sounds like those concerns are coming to fruition.
By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote: March 15th, 2021, 8:33 am If there is something wrong with DeMoss they'll need a place for those programs. To my knowledge, Engineering, Nursing, and Education are all primary tenants of DeMoss.
Engineering and Nursing needs their own buildings. Also we have a good amount of land yet they would like to cram as much academia together as possible. It's a university for goodness sake; that's why there's buses and sidewalks smh.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Soviet
Attempt to
Gag
America

Believe it or not in the '80s the Cold War was still alive and kicking.

I was under the impression that the DeMoss concerns had less to do with the structure built above the original 1st floor and more to do with the poor infrastructure for its original 1985 rushed debut. To suggest quality of construction has improved across campus since the '70s & '80s would be an understatement. It is hard to explain to younger folks how insane the growth was in 1985 when the school enrollment essentially doubled in size over that summer.
chris leedlelee liked this
By BlueBlood
cruzan_flame13 wrote: March 15th, 2021, 10:07 am Engineering and Nursing needs their own buildings. Also we have a good amount of land yet they would like to cram as much academia together as possible. It's a university for goodness sake; that's why there's buses and sidewalks smh.
I would think the current Reber-Thomas location is the prime real estate for a future academic building. After that, probably the parking lot between the Book Store and Business Building.

I'm all for cramming, but the proposed location for the Engineering Building was a bridge too far.
chris leedlelee liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 15th, 2021, 10:12 am It is hard to explain to younger folks how insane the growth was in 1985 when the school enrollment essentially doubled in size over that summer.
Thanks to all those BR Lakin scholarships, I think LU hired 7 English professors that year! :shock:
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]