This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:28 am Who is "We" jbock13? You also do not have to read my posts if they are 'old'. Are you advocating for just sweeping it all under the rug? Just curious as to the point you are trying to make.
Just a point that your shtick is getting old.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:21 am
Whatisthetruth wrote:Only took four months to conduct and release the results of this investigation. The BOT should follow their lead and provide the results of the LU investigation in a transparent manner.

LU should also release everyone from their NDAs unlike what Ravi's estate is pulling - The late apologist’s estate refused investigators’ requests to lift a nondisclosure agreement (NDA) to allow the Thompsons to speak about what happened.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/ ... -rape.html
We get your point of view, but we also know you’re clearly here just to stir the pot every so often. It’s getting old.
#standwithJBock
By Whatisthetruth
jbock13 wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:31 am
Whatisthetruth wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:28 am Who is "We" jbock13? You also do not have to read my posts if they are 'old'. Are you advocating for just sweeping it all under the rug? Just curious as to the point you are trying to make.
Just a point that your shtick is getting old.
I don't think you are required to read these posts, so exactly on what basis are you offended? I suppose you can request the moderators cancel my access. At any rate, I believe there is a point to be made between the article I posted and LU's current situation. Perhaps we just disagree.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
:dontgetit
I dont understand. The Ravi investigation's expedited length of time seems pretty relevant. Why get onto him about it?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
LUconn - That investigation in Atlanta was a slam dunk with evidence all over the phone in addition to the allegations. The JLFJR investigation is significantly more complicated requiring legal and accounting forensics.
JK37, ATrain liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It has been mentioned on the board recently, but Jerry Vines is now on the executive committee.

Executive Committee
  • Harvey Gainey – Chairman - 78
  • Carroll Hudson - 75
  • Evangelist Tim Lee - 70
  • Dr. Jerry Prevo - 76
  • Dr. David Rhodenhizer - 68
  • Gilbert “Bud” Tinney, Jr. - 83
  • Dr. Jerry Vines - 83
It is really curious with the scandal-plagued baggage that Jerry Vines is carrying into retirement that they would choose to place him on the executive committee. And I will admit that I was surprised to see Tim Lee so much younger than the rest of the group. Oh yeah, here's the updated search committee:

President and Chancellor Search Committee
  • Gilbert “Bud” Tinney, Jr. – Chairman
  • Anthony Beckles
  • Pastor Jonathan Falwell
  • Dr. Harvey Gainey
  • Carroll Hudson
  • Dr. Richard Lee
  • Evangelist Tim Lee
  • Penny Nance
  • David Rhodenhizer
  • Duke Westover
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:36 pm It has been mentioned on the board recently, but Jerry Vines is now on the executive committee.

Executive Committee
  • Harvey Gainey – Chairman - 78
  • Carroll Hudson - 75
  • Evangelist Tim Lee - 70
  • Dr. Jerry Prevo - 76
  • Dr. David Rhodenhizer - 68
  • Gilbert “Bud” Tinney, Jr. - 83
  • Dr. Jerry Vines - 83
It is really curious with the scandal-plagued baggage that Jerry Vines is caring into retirement that they would choose to place him on the executive committee. And I will admit that I was surprised to see Tim Lee so much younger than the rest of the group. Oh yeah, here's the updated search committee:

• Anthony Beckles
  • Dr. Harvey Gainey
  • Carroll Hudson
  • Dr. Richard Lee
  • Evangelist Tim Lee
  • Penny Nance
  • David Rhodenhizer
  • Duke Westover
I've known Carroll since I was a child. Surprised at his nonchalance when asked why they did nothing to challenge Jerry when he was obviously going of the deep end. These old evangelicals are about as shallow as a bird bath.
By Longshots
I mostly stay out of this stuff because I don't know who any of these people on the executive committee are. I think Tim Lee spoke at Convo when I was there but what do I know. I wasn't known for my diligent note-taking MWF mornings. However...

The decisions these people make will have a major impact on the university for the next twenty years. Not to be morbid but it's unlikely these people will be around to see how it plays out. It's telling from an outsider (left the bubble in 2013) that there wasn't a ton of diversity when setting this up.

There's a line in a Vampire Weekend song that sums up my thoughts. "Age is an honor, it's still not the truth".
stokesjokes liked this
By Longshots
stokesjokes wrote:As long as we’re using Vampire Weekend lyrics to describe the board, “Unbearably White” fits too :lol:
YASSSSS. I think the lyrics of Harmony Hall fit this situation perfectly, too...
stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
“And the stone walls of Harmony Hall bear witness
Anybody with a worried mind can never forgive the sight
Of wicked snakes inside a place you thought was dignified”

Almost too perfect
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:36 pm It has been mentioned on the board recently, but Jerry Vines is now on the executive committee.
Oh yeah, here's the updated search committee:

• Anthony Beckles
  • Dr. Harvey Gainey
  • Carroll Hudson
  • Dr. Richard Lee
  • Evangelist Tim Lee
  • Penny Nance
  • David Rhodenhizer
  • Duke Westover
From what I know and have also researched, this is a very politically-focused search committee, including a least 2 of the 3 pastors/evangelist (not including Jonathon). I believe LU is and should be a conservative school. At the same time, I really wish we would focus on the spiritual more than the political.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
We may be assuming too much about the board and the extent of their powers. For example, I can't imagine anyone in their right mind being happy with the infamous statements about guns and muslims. That was at least five years ago.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 11th, 2021, 9:14 am We may be assuming too much about the board and the extent of their powers. For example, I can't imagine anyone in their right mind being happy with the infamous statements about guns and muslims. That was at least five years ago.
Seriously? I imagine several of them salivating over it
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:18 am Either way, it was shocking to most. Junior attempting to be a public spokesman has to be among the most bizarre undertakings ever imagined here.
Absolutely agree
thepostman liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, the largest execitive search firm in the Christian world has not been contacted by the board to be involved based on the last time I checked in. So unless they are doing it on their own or have some unknown consultants involved then this search is going nowhere right now.

I agree to some extent, paradox. But it is pretty clear either they were complicent in Junior's endeavors or lacked the ability to stand up to him. Neither engenders confidence from the Liberty community. The public statements of the past few months probably tell us all we need to know about their view of the "search".
ATrain, thepostman liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 11th, 2021, 11:56 am For the record, the largest execitive search firm in the Christian world has not been contacted by the board to be involved based on the last time I checked in. So unless they are doing it on their own or have some unknown consultants involved then this search is going nowhere right now.

I agree to some extent, paradox. But it is pretty clear either they were complicent in Junior's endeavors or lacked the ability to stand up to him. Neither engenders confidence from the Liberty community. The public statements of the past few months probably tell us all we need to know about their view of the "search".
Why pay someone to tell you Johnathan is the best man for the job. :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 11th, 2021, 4:04 pm There is zero need to hire a search firm. The board is good enough to find their man.
They found their man. The issue is whether or not “Their Man” is best for LU
ATrain, rtb72 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
There is good portion of the alumni base that are perfectly fine with the status quo. Of course, they were also fine with Jr up until the very end (some would be cool with having him back). Those are the ones the board will pay attention to. Anybody else that goes against that viewpoint will be viewed as someone who doesn't embrace the mission and want us to forsake our Christian roots. Of course that is foolishness but if you are somewhat connected to alumni groups you know that this is a pretty common approach to things. Which is why things have basically remained the same.

That is why this discussion in all the different related threads just go in circles. There are still plenty around here with that same simple-minded outlook. They refuse to challenge the status quo and here we are.
ATrain liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 11th, 2021, 4:46 pm There is good portion alum that are perfectly fine with the status quo. Of course, they were also fine with Jr up until the very end (some would be cool with having him back). Those are the ones the board will pay attention to. Anybody else that goes against that viewpoint will be viewed as someone who doesn't embrace the mission and want us to forsake our Christian roots. Of course that is foolishness but if you are somewhat connected to alumni groups you know that this is a pretty common approach to things. Which is why things have basically remained the same.

That is why this discussion in all the different related threads just go in circles. There are still plenty around here with that same simple-minded outlook. They refuse to challenge the status quo and here we are.
Just look at THIS Board. There are a few who would welcome JR back with open arms
thepostman, ATrain liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]