This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I know we all knew a couple of the most famous LU alums like Sam Ponder, Shannon Bream, DC Talk, etc.

I’ve been wondering- who are those grads that are publicly known who either:
A) aren’t quite as well known
Or
B) some may not know are liberty grads

I’ll start with a couple:
Jared Bias, co-host of “The Bible for Normal People” with Pete Enns
Phylicia Masonheimer, author/blogger
ElmersTwin liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Cool list!

My thoughts go to all the professional athletes. My dad was careful to make sure my sister and I knew the ones from his days as we watched them compete professional when we were kids. Names like Bream, Tomlin, Guetermann (sp?), Green, Haddix, Carswell, Nuwoso. We collected every trading card for them we could get our hands on, and loved turning them over and seeing “College: Liberty” on the back.

Sid’s Slide in 1992 is one of the most memorable sports events from my childhood.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I remember being a kid in Atlanta and hearing a radio campaign called “where were you when Sid slid?” I didn’t know the Liberty connection until much later.

A couple journalists to add to the list:
We all know and have read Brandon Ambrosino’s Liberty-related reporting, he’s also a grad.
Another would be Jonathan Merritt- I see his stuff on Religion News Service all the time.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Liberty's page on Wikipedia has a long list of "alumni and associates":

Notable alumni and associates
Main article: List of Liberty University people
Allison Ball, Kentucky State Treasurer
Susan Wise Bauer, author and English instructor at The College of William & Mary
Peter Alan Bell, osteopathic medicine doctor and current dean at Liberty University and the College of Osteopathic Medicine
Shannon Bream, Host of Fox News @ Night, Supreme Court reporter, Fox News[278]
Sid Bream, former MLB baseball player
Jerry Falwell, founder
Jerry Falwell, Jr., former president of Liberty University
Debbie Yow, athletic director at NC State
Vic Shealy, NCAA D1 football head coach at Houston Baptist University, former defensive coordinator at the University of Kansas
William Franklin Graham IV, evangelist; grandson of Billy Graham
Rashad Jennings, former NFL running back
Tim Lambesis, lead vocalist of the metalcore band As I Lay Dying
Alex McFarland, director of Christian World View at North Greenville University
Vic Mignogna, anime voice actor
Michael Licona, New Testament scholar and apologist, associate professor of theology at Houston Baptist University
Samantha Ponder, ESPN Sunday NFL Countdown host
Jackie Walorski, Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives
William Byron, racing driver competing in the NASCAR Cup Series
TobyMac, Grammy-award-winning Christian hip hop artist; former member of DC Talk
stokesjokes liked this
By ElmersTwin
stokesjokes wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 7:43 am I know we all knew a couple of the most famous LU alums like Sam Ponder, Shannon Bream, DC Talk, etc.

I’ve been wondering- who are those grads that are publicly known who either:
A) aren’t quite as well known
Or
B) some may not know are liberty grads

I’ll start with a couple:
Jared Bias, co-host of “The Bible for Normal People” with Pete Enns
Phylicia Masonheimer, author/blogger
Glad to see someone else knows who Jared is. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard him mention it on the podcast.
stokesjokes liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Brian Barnhardt, former voice of the LA Angels, current voice of the University of Illinois Football and Basketball teams. (And my former roommate which propelled him to great things :D ).
stokesjokes liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That is a curious selection of folks and I had a number of classmates on that list. But none were my roommate, flamehunter. And for the record, it was rare that I ever saw Brian and Mike apart. The campus was much smaller back in the day.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 24th, 2021, 12:29 pm We could start a thread dedicated to him and it still wouldn't do the man justice.

I love Alan York but Nick should have his job.
They could have one on radio one on tv
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: January 25th, 2021, 5:39 pm
paradox wrote: January 25th, 2021, 3:42 pm Did Nick Foles ever finish his online degree?
If we went that route, it seems like half the WWE would fall into that category once upon a time.
WWE? I had no idea. Foles, on the other hand, was a legit pastoral grad student. Just wondering if he ever finished?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: January 25th, 2021, 12:04 pm How is it that I don't see Sly, PH, or myself on this list. Must be fake.
I transcend the list.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]