Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: December 21st, 2020, 10:05 pm Our Gatorade player of the year is no longer on the roster?!
Looks like 47/5-2 knew what they’re talking about
47/5-2 liked this
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
Chippy wrote: December 21st, 2020, 10:05 pm Our Gatorade player of the year is no longer on the roster?!
Looks like 47/5-2 knew what they’re talking about
*knows (still do) :)
PAmedic liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
So I missed this thread way back, so I hope you can indulge me @47/5-2, but do academy players go to college or do they usually try to pursue pro?
I know you made the distinction about top high school age players not playing in high school, just looking for clarification. Thanks!
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote:So I missed this thread way back, so I hope you can indulge me @47/5-2, but do academy players go to college or do they usually try to pursue pro?
I know you made the distinction about top high school age players not playing in high school, just looking for clarification. Thanks!
The percentage of your top academy players that go pro is still relatively small. So many do end up in college. For some perspective on my youngest sons U17 team last year 5 of them (3 current high school juniors / 2 current high school seniors) have already signed first team contracts turning pro. There will be others from the group that will turn pro as well. Some will remain with the club and others will either go elsewhere or oversees.

Now in his case you are talking about one of the top MLS academies in the country so the percentage that will go directly pro is going to be higher then a non- MLS academy. Of the ones that decide to go the college route they will have their pick. One of his teammates decided to graduate a year early and take his offer to Duke. He was probably one of the top 2 or 3 freshman in the nation this year even though he still should have been in high school.

Bottom line... If they are tied to an MLS academy or one of the top top non-MLS academies in the country they are most likely looking to go pro first and college is the back up plan. But as a percentage it is still a pretty small amount that will go straight pro but it is increasing.
stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for that. I figured if most top level academy players were going pro, it still would be a big deal to land the top HS player in the nation. If most of the academy players end up in college, then the significance drops precipitously.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote:Thanks for that. I figured if most top level academy players were going pro, it still would be a big deal to land the top HS player in the nation. If most of the academy players end up in college, then the significance drops precipitously.
I don't in any way mean to demean what he accomplished. My point was that while he certainly could be a very big impact player at Liberty it was not the same as getting a McDonald's All American and to temper expectations.

My oldest was a 3 time All State High School player. Final two years was 1st Team All State and we live in a soccer rich densely populated state attending a small Group 1 school(the point of that being he had to be silly good to earn that honor on the state level. I believe he was the first male athlete in school history in any sport to accomplish that once... let alone twice.). If he had that resume in basketball he would have had his pick of the litter from day 1. As it was, he had to fight tooth and nail to land at a top level D1 program.

With the youngest we were having zoom calls with ACC, Ivy League, Big Ten, etc. the first day he could be contacted. That's the difference between your top level high school players and your top level academy players. When I would go and watch DJ Wagner play at Camden last year I knew that I was watching the best 15 year old basketball player in the country just like everyone else. If there was an award given for the best freshman soccer player in high school this year I can guarantee you that while he may be an excellent player he is no Bajung Darboe (who will never win a high school accolade in his life nor set foot on a high school soccer field) and most likely there is at least 100 players between that freshman and Bajung.
stokesjokes liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't follow soccer at all, but I heard this recruit was Gatorade Player of the Year in high school, and was supposed to lead LU to promise land in soccer.

Almost reminds me of the volleyball player several years ago, who suddenly disappeared.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 4:49 pm anyone know why this guy left LU ?
There may be other reasons, but it appears a big factor was to be closer to home. He is going to UMKC, which is just a half hour from his home town of Olathe, KS.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 4:39 pm I don't follow soccer at all, but I heard this recruit was Gatorade Player of the Year in high school, and was supposed to lead LU to promise land in soccer.

Almost reminds me of the volleyball player several years ago, who suddenly disappeared.
Which particular volleyball player are you talking about?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
They play Longwood today. I say ice skates or the indoor practice facility are what is needed. :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 11:26 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 4:39 pm I don't follow soccer at all, but I heard this recruit was Gatorade Player of the Year in high school, and was supposed to lead LU to promise land in soccer.

I can't remember the name, but I'm pretty sure I know who he is referring to, and the situations are very different. That young lady played a full season at Liberty (FOY in the BSC and pre-season pick for POY)) before she suddenly and unexpectedly transferred.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:11 am
ATrain wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 11:26 pm

I can't remember the name, but I'm pretty sure I know who he is referring to, and the situations are very different. That young lady played a full season at Liberty (FOY in the BSC and pre-season pick for POY)) before she suddenly and unexpectedly transferred.
Money placed on him not actually knowing who he’s referring to
By PING
Posts Posts
by Purple Haize » February 21st, 2021, 9:33 pm
They seem to be doing pretty well

Solid results as of late. Tied JMU today. JMU was top 35 in the past. How good is JMU this year? Didn't get to see the game today because it wasn't on FLO or espn+
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Solid start to the season for sure. My guess is that the cancellation of the Fall season is propelling this start. Liberty was as open as any in the country, so getting to just put in solid work in practice for 3 months with a younger team/new coach like this is huge. They may be further along in what Findley wants to see then if they were playing games this past fall. Next two games (High Point & UNC) will be very good tests. Unfortunately, the back end of the schedule is weak to put it mildly (Lipscomb could be solid) so that won't tell us much leading into tournament. But the JMU draw is a quality result for sure and will be interesting to see how they do over these next two games.
PING liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]