Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:31 pm
stokesjokes wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:10 pm ...but does he though? He’s great, but he’d have a lot to clean up to be on that level, imho.
That’s why I said if. I don’t know. I think he has significant passing issues he needs to improve on before he can be effective as a starter at that level, but if Ryan Day tells him he can be the starter, then I don’t see how he can pass that up.

I want him here. I think his best path to the NFL is here. But just like Seth Curry, there’s a benefit to playing at the highest level.
Yep, just ask his brother. Oh, wait a minute...

So you don't think Seth gets to his current status if he stays? We will never know will we.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I don't see how leaving will help Malik at all. We are going to be a good team next year and will have a good W-L record. There have been many former FCS QB's drafted from the lower level schools. We are no longer considered anything close to a FCS school. He will get the exposure he needs at LU, especially with HF as the head coach.
It would be MW's 3rd di9fferent offense, coaching staff, in as many years. I do not think that he can make the progress that he needs to make at OSU, or any other P5 school. The reason being is that they do not have the time to be patient with him when it comes to improving his passing skills.
Whether he stays or not I wish him the best. It would be a major hit to our program if he leaves, we don't have even a decent #2, based on what we saw last year.
I keep wondering if CCU's QB has any intentions on leaving. I do think he would benefit greatly is he chose to leave. He is younger than Malik and will likely have another coach at CCU before he leaves as a senior, in any event. He is a great passer and has a year to get better, if needed, to become a starter at a p% school. Chadwell, will probably get another opportunity somewhere, but I am a little surprised at the lack of interest in him so far this post-season.
No one knows for sure what a kid is thinking and why they make the decisions they do. Personally, I made a decision that greatly impacted my future over a relationship. Wish I could have the opportunity to make that one again, based on the outcome. Not sure I would have made the same decision.
Anyway, I wish the best for all of these young athletes.
By Jonathan Carone
flamehunter wrote: January 21st, 2021, 2:09 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:31 pm
stokesjokes wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:10 pm ...but does he though? He’s great, but he’d have a lot to clean up to be on that level, imho.
That’s why I said if. I don’t know. I think he has significant passing issues he needs to improve on before he can be effective as a starter at that level, but if Ryan Day tells him he can be the starter, then I don’t see how he can pass that up.

I want him here. I think his best path to the NFL is here. But just like Seth Curry, there’s a benefit to playing at the highest level.
Yep, just ask his brother. Oh, wait a minute...

So you don't think Seth gets to his current status if he stays? We will never know will we.
I honestly don’t. He was getting junk defenses that would’ve never prepared him for the NBA. It was Steph and Dell seeing what happened to Steph at Davidson that pushed Seth to leave for Duke.

I don’t want Malik to leave, but I would absolutely understand if he did.
flamehunter liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I don’t understand that. Steph was a legend at Davidson. It didn’t seem to hurt his stock. If anything he had to grow his game in ways he wouldn’t have had to if he could just be a spot-up shooter somewhere.
By Jonathan Carone
stokesjokes wrote: January 21st, 2021, 2:32 pm I don’t understand that. Steph was a legend at Davidson. It didn’t seem to hurt his stock. If anything he had to grow his game in ways he wouldn’t have had to if he could just be a spot-up shooter somewhere.
Steph became a legend. Once he did, he was getting triangle and two defenses and other junk defenses every single game. As a freshman, Seth started to get those too. He had to leave or else that’s all he would’ve seen for the next three years.

We can all point to the outliers from small schools who make it. Malik could absolutely be one of those guys if he stays the next two years. He’s a high P5 talent though. Just like Freeze, there’s something in guys that talents that makes them want to prove it to everyone - including themselves - that they can make it at the highest level.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I’d argue Steph’s meteoric rise and development as a PG and shooter was aided tremendously by those junk defenses.

QB is a different animal, but look at the QB rooms in the NFL. Small school QBs are not rare exceptions.
flamehunter liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Also, Steph was/is much, much better than his brother. Seth needed something like Duke much more than Steph did. My 2 cents.

Regardless, this seems like message board/social media banter and not actually based on anything that is actually happening.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
In order for this rumor to have legs, Hugh Freeze would have to be moving on. Without that, it's not worth considering. Hugh is the guy who believed in him and gave him the opportunity. That weighs heavy for a player.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Malik is talented enough to start at Ohio State. But since the rumors started circulating I am hearing clearly from those who know him that he is not going anywhere.
LUOrange liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
olldflame wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 9:09 am Looks like we can put the Willis to OSU rumor to bed.

https://thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state- ... e-is-false
I love seeing articles like this - whether it be about Hugh Freeze or Malik Willis. This is great exposure for Liberty U. More and more people are learning about Liberty because of articles like this. How many eyeballs does an article like this attract? Probably thousands.

We're not just building a football program in Lynchburg, we're building awareness of our university - nationally.

If the 2021 season yields similar success to the 2020 season - Liberty U will be a known factor with virtually every college football fan in the country. Same with LU basketball. Praying the Flames win the ASUN tournament and secure another 12 seed in the NCAA tournament. This is phenomenal exposure for Liberty U.
LUOrange, Dalegarz1, Liberty22 and 1 others liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]